• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
giuliu said:
How about take Japan + NPD data and compare it to his estimate.
we subtract so we will get another thread
There are your media crate weekly
and NPD monthly

We're missing the "estimated rest of the world sales", we need more of this!
we should post it monthly since we have his spotless estimated data.

So you think you're cute. Have a nice day.

legend166

omg rite said:
Out of curiosity, how exactly do we know that site's numbers are made up and why exactly is it banned? I assume it's more than "they estimate numbers".

ioi has history on GAF and we know he makes them up because every know and then we get a leak of a game outside the top 10 or a LTD number and it's COMPLETELY different to what he has on his site.

I really wish we'd be able to see the top 20 like last NPD.

HK-47 said:
Stupidity is priceless though, right? Cause you are hoarding it like gold

Haha self-owned, gold is valuable so you just stated that I'm worth something. :lol

Chumly

giuliu said:
How about take Japan + NPD data and compare it to his estimate.
we subtract so we will get another thread
There are your media crate weekly
and NPD monthly

We're missing the "estimated rest of the world sales", we need more of this!
we should post it monthly since we have his spotless estimated data.
Dont know why im still responding to you but just a reminder for everyone.

-Nintendo gave us European hardware sales (From trackers) for ~80% of 2008.

-We have first 3 weeks of European sales in January for Nintendo

-Microsoft gives us regular updates of SELL THROUGH DATA from charttrack of how they are beating Sony (360 and PS3 data only from them, they ignore the Wii)

-We get regular LTD leaks in MULTIPLE european countries.

Kujo

omg rite said:
Out of curiosity, how exactly do we know that site's numbers are made up and why exactly is it banned? I assume it's more than "they estimate numbers".
Some of the numbers there can change drastically once real numbers come out. A recent example I looked at was Nuts & Bolts which the site had at 430k for America. When NPD numbers came out, they 'revised' it down to about 300k. That amount of error margin is pretty big, and it still wasn't close to what NPD had. Also saw them lower the 360 number once actual shipments came in. It's a joke.

boiled goose

good with gravy
soldat7 said:
Good argument. My argument is that the Wii may not have necessarily been the right business model for them either. Some of them? Sure. All of them? No.

I agree. For some of them it might have been make one wii game and one HD game.
For some of them it would be make a core wii game instead of a core HD game. For some of them it could have been make a B level HD game with a B level budget instead of using an AAA level budget and then have it flop sales and review wise.

It will of course be different for every dev. What is completely obvious though is that a ton of cash was left on the table during the wii holiday season 08. Nintendo left it wide open and no core games came out from third parties. "B" level games like shaun white and call of duty 5 will end up being million sellers, but no one had the big holiday season game. (guitar hero of course also did amazingly well).

giuliu

Banned
Chumly said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

So which permabanned alt account are you? Im curious.

Donny told you how he makes estimates on Europe and you continue to act like a jackass

No, I just want to get a picture of the sales age.
Why do we only get to talk about Japanese and NPD data?

we can take his data and subtract japan+npd and get a rest of the world sales trends.

I really want to know if the ps3 is beating the 360 in the rest of the world sales.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I really wish we'd be able to see the top 20 like last NPD.

Haha self-owned, gold is valuable so you just stated that I'm worth something. :lol

No not really. I said you were stupid, not worthless.

Nutter

Mojo said:
Some of the numbers there can change drastically once real numbers come out. A recent example I looked at was Nuts & Bolts which the site had at 430k for America. When NPD numbers came out, they 'revised' it down to about 300k. That amount of error margin is pretty big, and it still wasn't close to what NPD had. Also saw them lower the 360 number once actual shipments came in. It's a joke.
Especially since Nuts and Bolts sold ~140k in 2008, and not 300k IOI had. :lol. Looks like this new guy should go back to where he crawled out from (aka ioi's forum)

legend166 said:
ioi has history on GAF and we know he makes them up because every know and then we get a leak of a game outside the top 10 or a LTD number and it's COMPLETELY different to what he has on his site.

E.g, when Sony came out and announced 1.35 million LBP shipped, he had it at 1.9 million sold to end users.

Mojo said:

As someone who use to be a regular to that site I can confirm this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mojo said:

The banned site might be "ok" for long term tracking since it at least changes the number to match the available npd ones.

It is clear though that their predictions and real time tracking are completely made up.
(cant even be used for WW numbers or smaller games that dont get NPD numbers released since they cant get europe numbers either)

Just some other examples for the month of december is that they had wiis sold almost a million above the npd number for december. they clearly make hardware numbers up as well...

Man all this talk about Nuts & Bolts flopping and seeing Skate II (though the first wasn't exactly "Blockbuster" and I admit I don't know the expectations for this game) and Lord of the Rings Conquest not doing so hot is really making me see how further this slippery slope the HD business model was carving.

HK-47 said:
No not really. I said you were stupid, not worthless.

I'm not stupid, your avatar's face is stupid.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Man all this talk about Nuts & Bolts flopping and seeing Skate II (though the first wasn't exactly "Blockbuster" and I admit I don't know the expectations for this game) and Lord of the Rings Conquest not doing so hot is really making me see how further this slippery slope the HD business model was carving.

I'm not stupid, your avatar's face is stupid.

Glad we could clear that up

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
giuliu said:

we can take his data and subtract japan+npd and get a rest of the world sales trends.

I really want to know if the ps3 is beating the 360 in the rest of the world sales.

square2005?

Chumly

Mojo said:
Some other great examples of Overtracking and undertracking are De Blob and Call of Duty Wii

De Blob they had at 750k sell through until THQ said they only shipped 700k (LOL) now they have it at 550k or something.

Call of Duty Wii - There was a press release saying the PC,Wii,DS versions only sold 200k combined in november and since V g chartz makes up numbers they figured they better guess low. They had CODWII at like 100-150k or something for Wii in december when it actually sold like 400k (LOL)

minx

professor_t said:
I think KZ2 will crush Halo Wars.

What's the best an RTS game has ever sold on a console? Even a mediocre FPS probably could put up better numbers, and KZ2 hardly looks mediocre.

you know thousands of casuals are going to buy halo wars thinking its the next halo shooter

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Chumly said:
giuliu
Banned
(Today, 07:24 AM)
Reply | Quote

Maybe? :lol
Does anyone remember when I suggested that junior members shouldn't be allowed to post in sales threads?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
FF_VIII said:
NPD is so predictable now :(

I demand meltdowns

Nah, it's just that people are starting to come out of denial.

As soon as E3 2006 came, the horizon was set as a very clear picture in terms of general direction.

It was always predictable, the next step is to change gaming. Even with these results, the old market has been incredibly resistant so far, that will probably be the next round of unpredictability. A new market has emerged and now all game segments need to come together in some fashion.

If you say the PS3 and hardcore gaming will win, you're not saying anything outside of conventional wisdom, that should have been a clue already.

Chumly said:
giuliu
Banned
(Today, 07:24 AM)
Reply | Quote

Maybe? :lol
Excellent. My ignore list shall be clear again. I love it that never seems to take more than a few days anymore, but this has to be some kind of record.

Kujo

amtentori said:
The banned site might be "ok" for long term tracking since it at least changes the number to match the available npd ones.
Eh, I'd just use shipment data or LTD numbers posted here. No need to give that site hits. Shame some credible people believe it though, a gaming TV show here in Aus actually used it as a source in one of their news segments this week *sigh*

justchris

giuliu said:

There is a European sales thread posted every week. What information we are able to glean is usually discussed there.

Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??

There's quite a few games with good use of the balance board now. And maybe as there is more range to it than just Wii Fit, more people are buying it. It's a pretty simple but amazing piece of hardware

Wii sales are the norm now, how does 360 and ps3 sales fair against last years in jan. Good numbers for jan imho sony need a price cut.

AniHawk

duk said:
this thread is boring, where are all the impressive GIFs?

I have this old one from years ago. Maybe Mama Robotnik can make it not look like shit. Scene's from Annie Hall.

hugfo0.gif

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
giuliu said:
my mistake.
what I meant was that your amateur estimates shouldn't be here for a thread that is for professional tracking data, like you just said.
dude..

Nocebo

This thread proves bizzaro world actually exists (perhaps as an overlapping parallel dimension?) since there are people saying PS3 is doing solid. Down is up in bizzaro world right?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nocebo said:
This thread proves bizzaro world actually exists (perhaps as an overlapping parallel dimension?) since there are people saying PS3 is doing solid. Down is up in bizzaro world right?
Maybe they think it's like Golf?

amtentori said:
I'd rely on it for one thing - being a quick and easy source for some generalized data to refute the idea that either the PS3 or the 360 are the market leader. A couple of years back I used it to refute the idea that the PSP was the handheld market leader. It doesn't happen often, but it's way easier than telling someone that the proof is in a post on some forum.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's useful.

Edit: Just re-read the post. I'm rambling. It must be late.

Gadfly

omg rite said:
I suggest for a couple of months you follow up their weekly sales reports and compare them with NPD data (which BTW comes by sampling and polling retail outlets and is not pure estimate) and then come to your own conclusion.

I know I did.

And here's another thing. you have to pay for NPD data (a lot) and MS, Sony and Nintendo do pay. This should tell you something.

HylianTom

Banned
I have a good concept, but no photoshop talent, so here's another gif proposal:

Miyamoto and Iwata pasted into the "I'm On a Boat" music video - they're on the deck with T-Pain.

Meanwhile, Don Mattrick is making copies back at Kinkos, and the Jack Tretton is pulling a pink slip/parking ticket off of his windshield.

Flash back to the Miyamato, who is now riding on a dolphin ("doing flips and shit!") followed by a quick cut to Tretton taking out the garbage, getting splashed with water.

And then, for the coup de grace, when T-Pain is bragging of his experience with the mermaid, replace her head with Cammie's. Yum.

(I might be sick in the head..)

Gadfly

BTW, for those non-believers, KZ2 sales will crush Halo Wars.

KZ2 will be the best selling non-Nintendo game in US for the month of February. And it doesn't have to move systems to get there (too many people seem to confuse these two).

Gadfly said:

KZ2 will be the best selling non-Nintendo game in US for the month of February. And it doesn't have to move systems to get there (too many people seem to confuse these two).
I don't know that anyone is actually disputing that for February. I think it's more of a level of amusement that's being anticipated at the different meltdowns that we might see. If it loses out to Wii Fit or Wii Play we'll get meltdowns. If it beats everything, but doesn't push any hardware, we'll get meltdowns, if it's Feb+Mar numbers get beat by Halo Wars we'll get all sorts of meltdowns. It's just promising to be very entertaining.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gadfly said:

:lol You might as well just add in "which is a FPS on the PS3" in there.

Top Bottom