• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Awesome numbers for Nintendo consoles; January record?
Other consoles got mediocre sales.

Also my prediction for February and March:

February NPD:
Troll: "lololol Killzone 2 sold like shit"
SDF: "2 FUCKING DAYS!"

March NPD:
Troll: "lololol Killzone 2 sold like shit"
SDF: "We all knew that, stop trolling"

Flakster99

NemesisPrime said:
Console war is over, that is pretty clear now.

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

Now we can stop the bitching and get back to the games.

Ho ho ho. We now know that Nintendo (it's own monthly NPD spin) owns 20 of the top 30 games of January, which means that 14 out of the remaining 20 from 11-30 are Wii/DS.

Additional software lists would be appreciated. 8p

outunderthestars said:
it's not packaged with a peripheral. Wii owner's only seem to buy games that come with something else in the box. balance board, extra controller, wheel, or guitar.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl says "Hi". :D

Top five global sellers of 2008
:
1. Mario Kart Wii: 8,940,000 units (U.S.: 5,000,000, UK: 1,940,000, Japan: 2,000,000)
2. Wii Fit: 8,310,000 units (U.S.: 4,560,000, UK: 1,610,000, Japan: 2,150,000)
3. Grand Theft Auto IV: 7,290,000 units (U.S.: 5,180,000, UK: 1,850,000, Japan: 256,000)
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 6,320,000 units (U.S.: 4,170,000, UK: 404,000, Japan: 1,750,000)
5. Call of Duty: World at War: 5,890,000 units (U.S.: 4,460,000, UK: 1,430,000, Japan: N/A)

source:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22120

Sean

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Okay, but isn't that usually the case?
They usually spin a few things badly, cherry pick some positive data, and make few "Playstation family" statements. And people laugh at the weak PR, but they still do it every month.
This time, nothing as of 1am PST. Have they given up all hope?

Here is Sony's statement this month apparently:

Rather than paying a $50 subscription fee that competitors charge for on-line services, PlayStation Network users could put that money towards a variety of content.

* PAIN ($9.99)
* Elefunk ($4.99)
* Guitar Hero Classic Rock Track ($6.25)
* LittleBigPlanet™ Metal Gear Solid® - Level Kit ($5.99)
* Episode of Afro Samurai | Season 1 ($1.99)
* The Dark Knight Movie ($14.99)
* Samurai Sword Rack, Diesel Tiamallo Blue Hooded Top, Ligne Roset Alster Chair for PlayStation Home ($4.47)

-or-

* Super Street Fighter® II Turbo HD Remix ($14.99)
* Burnout™ Paradise (Full Retail Game) ($19.99)
* The Hoff Character for PAIN ($1.99)
* LittleBigPlanet™ Ryu of Street Fighter® II ($1.99)
* Robot Trooper and Basketball Boots for PlayStation Home ($.98)
* Savage Moon ($9.99)

http://kotaku.com/5152802/dont-pay-for-xbox-live-pay-for-designer-furniture-instead

Samurai Sword Rack, Diesel Tiamallo Blue Hooded Top, Ligne Roset Alster Chair for PlayStation Home ($4.47)

So what will be in the next NPD statement?

- Secret Home Furniture?

The thing wrong with that statement is: Live users are putting money into both.

xbhaskarx

Sean said:
Here is Sony's statement this month apparently:

Uh okay, but that is not in response to the NPD sales results... "Last updated February 11, 2009"
So there is still no PR statement from Sony, unlike after previous NPD announcements.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
xbhaskarx said:
Uh okay, but that is not in response to the NPD sales results... "Last updated February 11, 2009"
So there is still no PR statement from Sony, unlike after previous NPD announcements.

The guy who writes PR for Sony truly is the Shakespeare of our time, but even he needs some time with this one.

freddy said:
With a console at 200 dollars its not exactly pushing the numbers Microsoft would've liked I'd say. Mediocre at face value? No

Inline with Ps2 though after its 4th holiday when the PS2 was cheaper?

John Dunbar said:
The guy who writes PR for Sony truly is the Shakespeare of our time, but even he needs some time with this one.

Sales down month to month, sales down YOY, no games in top 10, beaten into 3rd place

hmmmmm its a toughie for sure

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mr_bishiuk said:
Sales down month to month, sales down YOY, no games in top 10, beaten into 3rd place

hmmmmm its a toughie for sure
Well, they could start with the PlayStation family outselling their direct competitor, Microsoft, once again. And... uhm... drawing a blank here, sorry.

freddy

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Inline with Ps2 though after its 4th holiday when the PS2 was cheaper?
Yea ok but the landscape has changed. Plus its a pretty big ask for the 360 to emulate the insane legs of the PS2 which is still gasping for breath even now given the difference in library diversity between the two.

Microsoft needs to extend beyond the traditional markets like the Wii and PS2 have done and they need to do it yesterday.

Also the landscape has changed.

Xbox 360 309K
Wii 679.2K

FF_VIII

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
I know I've already responded, and its a re-run, but what the hell.

neogiffinal.gif

The cornered-on-his-own-ship, full of rage and pain, and defiantly fighting a losing day is, well, somewhat apt.

Excellent

Rolf NB

Luckyman said:
So what is the February reporting period?
One page back:
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'll go big on this, and give what should be the ranges for the rest of this year.
Code:
February  02-01 through 02-28
March     03-01 through 04-04
April     04-05 through 05-02
May       05-02 through 05-30
June      05-31 through 07-04
July      07-05 through 08-01
August    08-01 through 08-29
September 08-30 through 10-03
October   10-04 through 10-31
November  11-01 through 11-28
December  11-29 through 01-02

Valtor

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
I think we should establish what is good for KZ2, i'd say 600k in Feb and 500k month 2 1.1m in the first two months reporting period?

I predict almost half. 500k Feb and 100k March. It has been SOOOO rare that big budget games stay on NPD twice in a row, I couldn't beleive it will happen with KZ2

botticus

Jocchan said:
Well, they could start with the PlayStation family outselling their direct competitor, Microsoft, once again. And... uhm... drawing a blank here, sorry.
I'm guessing they'll be able to tout dramatically increased YOY software sales for PS3 or the Playstation family.

freddy said:
Yea ok but the landscape has changed. Plus its a pretty big ask for the 360 to emulate the insane legs of the PS2 which is still gasping for breath even now given the difference in library diversity between the two.

Microsoft needs to extend beyond the traditional markets like the Wii and PS2 have done and they need to do it yesterday.

Also the landscape has changed.

Xbox 360 309K
Wii 679.2K

Exactly why the 360 has done well, its matcing Ps2 DESPITE the Wii

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
botticus said:
I'm guessing they'll be able to tout dramatically increased YOY software sales for PS3 or the Playstation family.
To be honest, it's easy to pimp your numbers if you don't give them a frame of reference.
This month the PlayStation family achieved amazing hardware sales, surpassing the 475k units mark, and this newfound success reflected to software sales, with X total units sold.
See? It's not that hard.

Looking at the numbers for the Wii, thats great for a January. (Well, compared to last year for sure)

What was the PS2's highest January? Just curious.

Valtor

Banned
They tried with a diversion :p

"Look! We sold 50 million PSPs!! Isn't that amazing??!?!?"

It... kind of is actually.. 50 million with a "failing" platform? Wow.

Valtor said:
I predict almost half. 500k Feb and 100k March. It has been SOOOO rare that big budget games stay on NPD twice in a row, I couldn't beleive it will happen with KZ2

What did Gears 1 do on 360 in its first month? I cant see any reason why it should not match it

freddy

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Exactly why the 360 has done well, its matcing Ps2 DESPITE the Wii
Yea, it's done really well there's no doubting the improvement over the Xbox. I'm just saying that Microsoft was talking about hitting a Playstation2-like install base and having 80 percent of its install base sold after reaching $199 and currently without some major changes to the type of software available on 360 it's not looking good to hit that target.

So yea it's doing well and landing punches on Apollo Creed but he ain't the champ no more.

Joe211

360 numbers are not so good only 100.000 more than the ps3 if you consider the price you'll that these numbers are in fact bad

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Joe211 said:
360 numbers are not so good only 100.000 more than the ps3 if you consider the price you'll that these numbers are in fact bad
Pack your stuff, guys. Microsoft's going third party apparently.
Because 300k in Jan is bad nowadays.

Valtor

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
What did Gears 1 do on 360 in its first month? I cant see any reason why it should not match it

It did 1 million in november 2006 and 800k in december. No way it's gonna go there. Half, maybe? 500k and 400k? making a total of about 900k In the first two months? but I doubt it SOOOO much!

Edit : There are so many reasons why it won't match Gears 1 numbers, be it lack of marketing, lack of being november/december period, lack of momentum (PS3 I mean)... According to Wikipedia, the best selling games on PS3 worldwide are Motorstorm with 3.3 mil and MGS4 with 3 mil. MGS4 did 775k in june and didn't make 150k in july.

Kolgar

Joe211 said:

*sigh*

Sometimes I wish there was a mandatory prerequisite class before people could participate in NeoGAF sales-age threads.

Get your license first, THEN you can sit at the grown-ups' table.

Wyndstryker said:
What was the PS2's highest January? Just curious.
I can't find a good source, but I believe it was just shy of 500K. This following a pretty big holiday shortage that saw December under a million.

GCX

xbhaskarx said:
Maybe the Playstation Family PR guy is one those 16 000 people that are getting fired from Sony. :eek:

NDP threads would lose their soul.

freddy

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I don't recall Microsoft ever stating they would have a PS2 level install base.

1UP: What is the mass-market price, and when will Xbox 360 achieve that?

Shane Kim: If you look back in history -- again, it's not just going to follow what's in history -- in some cases, 75 to 80 percent of the business gets done $199 and below. So, we're not quite there yet. I think that number can change over time because of inflation, greater capabilities; what we can do what Xbox 360, even the core system, is far beyond what you could do before in previous generations. Who knows? Maybe $249 will be a mass-market price point -- but historically, $199 has been when you're talking a PlayStation 2-like install base. 80 percent of the business gets done at $199 and below. We're like the other guys, right?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161223

I mean maybe they're content sitting on top of Sony. Meanwhile 400k more of a competitors product in one month in one region is sitting in people lounge rooms around the world with an internet connection. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that.

freddy said:
1UP: What is the mass-market price, and when will Xbox 360 achieve that?

Shane Kim: If you look back in history -- again, it's not just going to follow what's in history -- in some cases, 75 to 80 percent of the business gets done $199 and below. So, we're not quite there yet. I think that number can change over time because of inflation, greater capabilities; what we can do what Xbox 360, even the core system, is far beyond what you could do before in previous generations. Who knows? Maybe $249 will be a mass-market price point -- but historically, $199 has been when you're talking a PlayStation 2-like install base. 80 percent of the business gets done at $199 and below. We're like the other guys, right?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161223

I mean maybe they're content sitting on top of Sony. Meanwhile 400k more of a competitors product in one month in one region is sitting in people lounge rooms around the world with an internet connection. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that.

Well they are doing much better at their stated goal than Sony is at their's so you are just re-enforcing how badly the PS3 is doing

I don't think Shane Kim counts.

:D

He is right in suggesting $199 as the mass-market price, however I don't think the PS3 could even achieve such numbers at that price. This is an entirely different market to that which saw the success of the PS2.

Joe211

Jocchan said:
Pack your stuff, guys. Microsoft's going third party apparently.
Because 300k in Jan is bad nowadays.

I'm sorry dude but the 360 is the cheapest next gen system on the market but it sold 309k Would you care to explain why these number are good?
I mean it's not like we'll see a significant drop price in the future right?

PS3 399$ 203.2K
Wii 249$ 679.2K
360 199$ 309K

freddy

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
Well they are doing much better at their stated goal than Sony is at their's so you are just re-enforcing how badly the PS3 is doing
I dont think I am at all. I think you are concentrating on how badly PS3 is doing. They've boxed themselves into a corner on price and have to ride it out. End of story. My focus is rather on how WELL Microsoft is doing compared to the market leader and what they can do, if anything, to try to claw some marketshare back. I think that's a much more interesting discussion than "lolz Sony".

Opus Angelorum said:
This is an entirely different market to that which saw the success of the PS2.

Correct and right now the Wii is increasing its share of that market. Microsoft seems to be applying the old rules to this new market and I don't think that is going to cut it as you say.

Opus Angelorum said:
I don't think Shane Kim counts.

:D

He is right in suggesting $199 as the mass-market price,

No he isn't, at least not in the context that he's stating. 199 isn't just some magic number that catches your console alight once you reach it. It is a part of a focused delivery plan; if your console reaches certain other criteria, lower pricing will attract even more people to it. Shane Kim (and the internet as a whole) have a habit of this cart before the horse mentality that reaching 199 first is the route to winning a console war.

Meanwhile, MS has a console on the market that has attained this price and we aren't seeing PS2 like sales, or even a somewhat dramatic uptick in performance. Why? Because the 360 hasn't met the other parameters that enabled the PS2 to explode at this price. Namely, a broad library that appeals to all tastes.

Valtor said:
It did 1 million in november 2006 and 800k in december. No way it's gonna go there. Half, maybe? 500k and 400k? making a total of about 900k In the first two months? but I doubt it SOOOO much!

Edit : There are so many reasons why it won't match Gears 1 numbers, be it lack of marketing, lack of being november/december period, lack of momentum (PS3 I mean)... According to Wikipedia, the best selling games on PS3 worldwide are Motorstorm with 3.3 mil and MGS4 with 3 mil. MGS4 did 775k in june and didn't make 150k in july.
KillZone 2 will possibly sell more than MGS4 did, with the right advertising push at least.

there's a chance it could do better than MGS4 did in later months too if we do get a price cut in march. that'd give it another bounce in sales i'd expect.

one question though, that 775,000 does that include the bundle 80 gig bundle? that artificially inflates MGS4 sales a little bit, because you know a measurable percentage of the bundle sales were people who wanted BC rather than MGS4.

freddy, nowhere in that quote are microsoft claiming they will have a PS2 like install base. they're talking about the price at which sales take off. not claiming that they will reach ps2 levels. just saying that that's when it would start to happen should it happen.

ThatHurt

Joe211 said:
I'm sorry dude but the 360 is the cheapest next gen system on the market but it sold 309k Would you care to explain why these number are good?

PS3 399$ 203.2K
Wii 249$ 679.2K
360 199$ 309K

Yep all 300k were the 199 units
Amirite?

Kolgar

freddy said:
Correct and right now the Wii is increasing its share of that market. Microsoft seems to be applying the old rules to this new market and I don't think that is going to cut it as you say.

Nintendo's EXPANDING THE MARKET. They have a system that can do that like no other in the history of video games. Its sales potential is nearly unlimited.

Microsoft is doing great with the product they have aimed at the audience that it is, but Xbox 360 is not the Wii and I don't believe the suits at MS should waste time or energy on trying to figure out how to catch the Wii with 360.

If they want Wii-like success, they'll need to make a Wii-like system for their next entry in 2011/12.

With 360, MS should continue to focus on core gamers and movie watchers (via streaming and downloadable movies) while offering a smattering of "party" and "casual" experiences to fill those niches in its customer base. They've succeeded in this gen's plan to head off Sony's takeover of the living room, and until Nintendo gains similar aspirations beyond games, I think they'll be happy with that.

Joe211 said:

PS3 399$ 203.2K
Wii 249$ 679.2K
360 199$ 309K
ps3valuechart.gif

Elite, Pro? They don't exist anymore?

Top Bottom