• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Nocebo

Gadfly said:
BTW, for those non-believers, KZ2 sales will crush Halo Wars.

KZ2 will be the best selling non-Nintendo game in US for the month of February. And it doesn't have to move systems to get there (too many people seem to confuse these two).
How many units did the current best selling game sell?

xbhaskarx

Jag22 said:
I find it funny how serious people take these NPDs.

I swear some of you wait the whole month just for these numbers.

If you don't care about sales numbers, why are you posting in the NPD thread?

Gadfly said:

KZ2 will be the best selling non-Nintendo game in US for the month of February. And it doesn't have to move systems to get there (too many people seem to confuse these two).

You might be setting yourself up for a big shock.

Tieno

Can someone summarize this thread? What are the talking points, what's trolleable?

Also, will KZ2 sales be frontloaded or will we have to wait till March NPD cause it was only a few days out? Or will we decide that when Feb NPD comes out?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Tieno said:
Can someone summarize this thread? What are the talking points, what's trolleable?

Also, will KZ2 sales be frontloaded or will we have to wait till March NPD cause it was only a few days out? Or will we decide that when Feb NPD comes out?
IMO KZ2 sales will be frontloaded and mostly to people who already own PS3. but it will be huge.

I'd say for February alone something around 800K-1.2m in US is not out of reach.

Nocebo

Tieno said:
KZ2 will be massively frontloaded and will be the highest selling game in Febuary even though it'll only have 2 days of sales. However when results are released its strongest sales will be in March because 2 days really isn't that much anyway and many people were unaware that the game was released in Feb.

Arde5643

Nocebo said:
KZ2 will be massively frontloaded and will be the highest selling game in Febuary even though it'll only have 2 days of sales. However when results are released its strongest sales will be in March because 2 days really isn't that much anyway and many people were unaware that the game was released in Feb.
It'll be meltdown-riffic anyway. :lol

Nocebo

Gadfly said:
IMO KZ2 sales will be frontloaded and mostly to people who already own PS3. but it will be huge.

I'd say for February alone something around 800K-1.2m in US is not out of reach.
I'm curious. How many units did the previous highest selling game in febuary do?

NemesisPrime said:
Console war is over, that is pretty clear now.

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

Now we can stop the bitching and get back to the games.

Not if Pachter has anything to say about it.

Seriously though, what happens when an analyst of any industry is just consistently...wrong? Does he get fired? I mean isn't analyzing the industry correctly and making at least a few decent predictions his job?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
civilstrife said:
Not if Pachter has anything to say about it.

Seriously though, what happens when an analyst of any industry is just consistently...wrong? Does he get fired? I mean isn't analyzing the industry correctly and making at least a few decent predictions his job?

His hardware predictions are just something he does for fun on the side.

Arde5643

fanboi said:
US =/= total for the world.
1. NPD thread.

2. You do realize of the worldwide estimate of Wii/360/PS3 sales, right? Of course, your post is somewhat correct if you're just comparing 360 and PS3.

xbhaskarx

Agent Icebeezy said:
What is there to really say?

Okay, but isn't that usually the case?
They usually spin a few things badly, cherry pick some positive data, and make few "Playstation family" statements. And people laugh at the weak PR, but they still do it every month.
This time, nothing as of 1am PST. Have they given up all hope?

I think we should establish what is good for KZ2, i'd say 600k in Feb and 500k month 2 1.1m in the first two months reporting period?

Arde5643

mr_bishiuk said:
I think we should establish what is good for KZ2, i'd say 600k in Feb and 500k month 2 1.1m in the first two months reporting period?
Doesn't that seem too conservative considering the hype the game's been getting?

Of course, so far I haven't seen any promo or advertisement from Sony's part rivaling even half of Halo 3's ad campaign....

Nocebo

xbhaskarx said:
Okay, but isn't that usually the case?
They usually spin a few things badly, cherry pick some positive data, and make few "Playstation family" statements. And people laugh at the weak PR, but they still do it every month.
This time, nothing as of 1am PST. Have they given up all hope?
Maybe they're having even more trouble finding something to spin this time. I don't think they can use the "strong momentum" line any more.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arde5643 said:
Doesn't that seem too conservative considering the hype the game's been getting?

Of course, so far I haven't seen any promo or advertisement from Sony's part rivaling even half of Halo 3's ad campaign....

Internet message board hype =/= reality

xbhaskarx

Nocebo said:
Maybe they're having even more trouble finding something to spin this time.

No games in the top 10, Playstation family outsold by both the Wii and DS, PS2 + PS3 outsold by 360, PS3 and PSP both down 25% YoY, PS2 down 60% YoY...
Yeah, you're right, there is really nothing Sony can spin in these NPD results.

Edit: apparently the PSP reached 50 million worldwide, so there's that.

Nocebo

Arde5643 said:

This is 2 days of sales though and in feb which I think is usually known as a slow month(?). So that would be pretty decent and if it does less than that then maybe the PS3 doesn't have an audiance for shooters after all. I don't know, it's not the sales numbers that count anyway! The game is good, it's all about quality over quantity why do you guys care so much about sales figures anyway? Blu ray is the future and you know it.
Once people realize they the whole coca cola bottle.

Rolf NB

Tieno said:
PS3 declines 24% YoY, PSP down, PS2 in free fall, no game for a Sony platform in the top ten.
=> "Playstation family am doomz0rd"
=> "You gotta make money to be able to piss away money"

Xbox 360 up 34% YoY, several games hanging on to top ten positions.
=> "A beast"
=> "Price drops do increase sales, duh!"

Nintendo platforms still accelerating, (more than) doubling their Jan 2008 performance, ancient games take chart positions while top spots are taken by merely "old" games (by any other platform's standard).
=> "Iwata rising to heaven, counseling on a rewrite of the Bible, hailing the dawn of a new religion and an era of prosperity"
=> "Who needs to be price-competitive if people really want what you're selling"
=> "Does anybody ever think of the third parties?!?!?!?!"

Tieno said:
Mostly front-loaded, moderate baby-legs due to multiplayer component. Will probably be outsold by Wii Fit in its first month and drop fast in its second. We'll be talking about ROI on that one for sure.

HylianTom

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
No games in the top 10, Playstation family outsold by both the Wii and DS, PS2 + PS3 outsold by 360, PS3 and PSP both down 25% YoY, PS2 down 60% YoY...
Yeah, you're right, there is really nothing Sony can spin in these NPD results.

I'm guessing that they're going to attempt a shift/distract technique for this month's statement. Re-focus the audience on the upcoming release of a highly-rated, super-big-huge-epic game, and spend as little time as possible talking about actual numbers.

That'd be my recommendation, anyway.

Nocebo

HylianTom said:
I'm guessing that they're going to attempt a shift/distract technique for this month's statement. Re-focus the audience on the upcoming release of a highly-rated, super-big-huge-epic game, and spend as little time as possible talking about actual numbers.

That'd be my recommendation, anyway.
My recommendation is that their statement should be formulated such as and "Halp :(".

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

Wii: 45.8 (March 17, 2008)
PS3: 52.0 (February 2, 2008)
X360: 73.5 (September 5, 2007)

So PS3 has hit the point where the average owner has had their system one year. It's also sorta worth pointing out that as part of getting the average number of weeks, I must first get the total number of weeks ownership and divide by the userbase. Anyway, X360 busted the billion weeks mark this month. I had to widen that column on the spreadsheet and everything!

bcn-ron said:
If you're Nintendo, christmas lasts a few weeks into the new year o_O
If you're Nintendo, Christmas is a state of mind.
499535b87bf88.jpg

dyls said:
I really didn't expect that 360 could manage over 300K sales in January. That means it's pretty much guaranteed a higher base sales over the next few slow months than 2008.
The Wii and DS numbers disguise the fact, but that's a pretty impressive X360 number too. Only Wii passed 300K last year, and nothing did in 2006 or 2007.

Htown said:
Quick question. What's the last day that the NPD's will count for NEXT month?
I'll go big on this, and give what should be the ranges for the rest of this year.
Code:
February  02-01 through 02-28
March     03-01 through 04-04
April     04-05 through 05-02
May       05-02 through 05-30
June      05-31 through 07-04
July      07-05 through 08-01
August    08-01 through 08-29
September 08-30 through 10-03
October   10-04 through 10-31
November  11-01 through 11-28
December  11-29 through 01-02

Nocebo said:
This is 2 days of sales though and in feb which I think is usually known as a slow month(?).
As far as hardware goes I think April is usually lowest, though February and March aren't far off. I don't think it's much hurt major games launching in that period, though.

Arde5643 said:

The game has a free fun so should do well, my first months guess is conservative because its only a few days bit I think the 2nd month guess is probably over exaggerated seeings as Resistance 2 didn't even do that month 1 and that was in the holiday period.

Nocebo said:
This is 2 days of sales though and in feb which I think is usually known as a slow month(?). So that would be pretty decent and if it does less than that then maybe the PS3 doesn't have an audiance for shooters after all. I don't know, it's not the sales numbers that count anyway! The game is good, it's all about quality over quantity why do you guys care so much about sales figures anyway? Blu ray is the future and you know it.

The reporting period for feb goes a few days into march though doesn't it?

edit sorry seen wrong

Arde5643

Nocebo said:
I don't know, it's not the sales numbers that count anyway! The game is good, it's all about quality over quantity why do you guys care so much about sales figures anyway? Blu ray is the future and you know it.
Sales thread is here - Killzone 2 thread is that-a-way.

Tieno

bcn-ron said:
PS3 declines 24% YoY, PSP down, PS2 in free fall, no game for a Sony platform in the top ten.
=> "Playstation family am doomz0rd"
=> "You gotta make money to be able to piss away money"

Xbox 360 up 34% YoY, several games hanging on to top ten positions.
=> "A beast"
=> "Price drops do increase sales, duh!"

Nintendo platforms still accelerating, (more than) doubling their Jan 2008 performance, ancient games take chart positions while top spots are taken by merely "old" games (by any other platform's standard).
=> "Iwata rising to heaven, counseling on a rewrite of the Bible, hailing the dawn of a new religion and an era of prosperity"
=> "Who needs to be price-competitive if people really want what you're selling"
=> "Does anybody ever think of the third parties?!?!?!?!"
:lol Thanks!

Nocebo

Arde5643 said:
Sales thread is here - Killzone 2 thread is that-a-way.
O kind sir, please excuse my ignorance. I saw so many SDF gifs and I got confused, they were like the siren's call from within the mist.

lawblob said:
Very well. The early hype surrounding the game seems impressive.

360 - 390K

PS3 - 330K

Never be that close, the gap will if anything be larger than normal due to the fact PS3 has KZ2 this month, 390k for 360 sounds about right but with 220k for PS3 imo

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gadfly said:

grandjedi6 said:
:lol You might as well just add in "which is a FPS on the PS3" in there.
Well, I think we can all agree Killzone 2 will be the best selling non-Nintendo game which is a FPS on the PS3 made by Guerrilla Games, with a title starting with K and ending with 2, in US for the Month of February.
Come on, reality, contradict me now!

Barrett2

mr_bishiuk said:
Never be that close, the gap will if anything be larger than normal due to the fact PS3 has KZ2 this month, 390k for 360 sounds about right but with 220k for PS3 imo

But I think that Soul Calibur 4 did relatively better on the PS3 than 360, due to Playstation brand having a higher % of fighting game players. Maybe im' wrong on that.

I don't really care which system it does better on, I just hope it does well overall.

lawblob said:
But I think that Soul Calibur 4 did relatively better on the PS3 than 360, due to Playstation brand having a higher % of fighting game players. Maybe im' wrong on that.

I don't really care which system it does better on, I just hope it does well overall.

I think SC4 was more to do with the fact it was a brand synonymous with Playstation more than fighting fans I mean DOA4 sold over a million and SC4 did much better on 360 in subsequent months than it did in the first when compared to PS3 Sku sales.

Mar

NemesisPrime said:
Console war is over, that is pretty clear now.

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

Now we can stop the bitching and get back to the games.

You have no idea how much I wished this statement to be true.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There's 20 out of the top 30 games for Nintendo systems. There are 4 360 games in the top 10. You have to figure that Gears2 and GH:WT for the 360 are also in the top 30. Is it safe to assume that the PS3 has 2 maybe 3 games in the top 30? I would think the remaining 4 games are Skate2, GH:WT and CoD for the PS3 and GH for the PS2. More than the h/w numbers, I think this is the scary part for Sony.

fanboi

Banned
Arde5643 said:
1. NPD thread.

2. You do realize of the worldwide estimate of Wii/360/PS3 sales, right? Of course, your post is somewhat correct if you're just comparing 360 and PS3.

1. Console war goes BEYOND US boarders! :>

2. Yes, only comparing 360 and PS3... Wii is in its own league.

xbhaskarx

lawblob said:

You think Soul Calibur 4 sold better on the PS3 than 360 in the US?
Based on what? I seriously doubt that is the case, or that it will be the case for SF4.

Kenka

Did someone already post this ? I guess no.

PC top 20 (without numbers) as they appear on ***********'s page :

1. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe
3. World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest
4. Spore
5. World Of Warcraft
6. Left 4 Dead
7. The Sims 2 Apartment Life
8. Fallout 3
9. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
10. Call Of Duty: World At Wars
11. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
12. Civilization IV
13. The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff
14. Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
15. IGT Slots: Little Green Men
16. The Sims 2 Pets Exp.
17. StarCraft Battle Chest
18. Bejeweled Twist
19. Reel Deal Slots BlackBeard's Revenge
20. The Sims 2 FreeTime Exp.

(Source : NPD)

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr30227_top-20-ventes-us-de-jeux-pc.html

Canti

Gadfly said:

I agree it'll be heavily frontloaded but over 1 million in 2 days? I'll eat crow if that happens. I'm really not seeing that much hype for it outside of the net. Just out of interest, does anyone have the LTD for the PS2 and PSP Killzones (sorry if already asked)?

Top Bottom