• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On No More Heroes 2 "proving" core games don't sell on Wii:

Ayup, they'll call this fanboyism or something, but sorry, NMH2 doesn't prove a damn thing. *It doesn't matter what the critics think*. Try to understand this. The game could have gotten all 10's in a random game magazine and it would have been unlikely to help with sales. Word of mouth and game content is what sells games, even in this day and age. Huge amounts of TV marketing does far more than all the puffed up critical reviews in the world; that's what the average person tunes into, not game mags and websites.

The problem with NMH2 is several-fold. First, it follows NHM, a game that people tried to sexy up as being a savior of "hardcore" games on Wii, but really just wasn't that great. (It was okay, but not great.) It also had a typical "hyper cool" Suda look and storyline that just looks weird to the average person - that includes the average core gamer.

Second, NHM2 just looks like more of the same at a glance. Same kind of cover. Same screenshots at a passing glance, same gameplay. There's nothing there to excite the average gamer.

TvC is still managing to sell more than NHM2 - and even sell faster than it did in Japan!! - because you know why? It looks like the kind of direct, pure gamey video game that core gamers liked last generation. It's a Capcom Vs. game. It doesn't matter of the Tatsunoko characters are new to most Americans. They still look cool, basically like super heroes more than overly weird, fetishy or dragonbally animu characters. It looks great in screen shots, like something that's high energy and exploding with fun. And it has great word of mouth - everyone, not just on GAF, is screaming "OMG THIS IS F**KING AWESOME BETTER THAN BRAWL!!"

I'm not sure how far TvC will be able to go, but it's more of a REAL DAMNED CORE GAME than these edgy, pseudo-dramatic or artistic "mature" games like Dead Space: Extraction, Mad World, or No More Heroes.

Also, a thought on Bayonetta:

Bayonetta will probably have slow burning legs because it will get constant low level word of mouth about being a fantastic action game, even if it looks weird. There's no way around the fact that Bayonetta is a joke a lot of people won't grasp. I mean, some guys in this very thread tried the demo, were disturbed and confused by this hyper-sexualized character, and turned it off. Sadly, a lot of male gamers are not going to get the joke that Bayonetta is /satire/ of exploitation. (And irony! I'll be a lot of the same guys will be hyped up for God of War III with its seething, oiled up, bursting-at-the-seams manly man anti-hero.) In the long run, it will sell basically okay over time and become one of those entrenched, hardened classics ten years from now, like a Gunstar Heroes. A legend, even if it never became a huge sales phenomenon in its time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If Bayonetta is really at ~170ish or whatever, then I think that's a pretty successful first month...

TehSw1tch

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yeah, there's a reason.
Ubisoft is a horrible company.

Suda_NoMoreHeroesPQ.jpg

I could see Dark void bombing that badly.

I know personally I was hyped for the game when it was first shown, and then with each new batch of screenshots my interest faded as the art style changed and the game kept constantly getting delayed....

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Is there any reasoning as to why No More Heroes 2 was released the SAME DAY as Mass Effect 2? Hell, even the same day as TVC is bogus as they would be both (in theory) splitting the hardcore Wii audience.
Just because Ubisoft can.

Narcosis

Stumpokapow said:
re bayonetta

devil may cry 3 did 252k first month

would 200k really be so bad for bayonetta?

No it wouldn't, but come on, you know that NPD threads are all about "OMIGOD IT'S NOT TOP 10 IT FUCKING BOMBED AND THE PUBLISHER IS GOING UNDER!!"

Some people call it the knee jerk reaction.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stumpokapow said:
re bayonetta

it would be ok and not unexpected.
i think ppls expectations might have been higher though given hype and how well it sold in japan.

OMG at Dark Void. :lol

I'm really impressed by Darksiders, I pretty much thought its numbers and Bayonetta's would be reversed. Bayonetta has sold through about 500k in Japan + US, so I doubt Sega is pouting over those sales.

Mass Effect's numbers are good, but I kind of expected more since it won't have the holiday second-month bump the first had.

Ouch at Army of 2. EA is striking out all over the place with its lesser franchises.

Pachinko

If you want a game to sell in the US you need to spend money advertising it on TV. Bayonetta would likely have sold twice as many copies if they'd just released it in october, you'd have 3 months that were practically devoid of anything outside of modern warfare 2 and uncharted 2 as well, a tv commercial around halloween could have done some good. Instead it's out just after christmas with next to no promotion at all outside of tradeshows and comic book ads , it came out months after the japanese release so importers basically bought it then instead of waiting.

I mean, I wouldn't call it terrible sales. It's at 160K with both platforms over here , it needs to sell about that much again in the next couple months which I think it can pull off and it should at least break even. Sega was likely hoping for more then breaking even though.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I can't help but think that the 360/PS3 port of NMH hurt sales of NMH2 at least a little bit. Unless you're a rabid NMH fan who has to have the game on day one why wouldn't you wait to see if NMH2 comes to other consoles with new modes and extras like the first one did?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
amtentori said:
TvC outselling NMH2 is still fucking bizarre to me.
To be fair TvC did have better exposure. Sales deals, online banners, TV commericial, videos released frequently, press releases, nintendo World store launch ,etc..

It is really the only reason I can think off... :/

When the 90+ reviews started rolling in, combined with the awesome commercial (that I myself saw multiple times, which hasn't happened for a non-casual third-party Wii game outside of maybe one HotD ad), I had a hunch, a hopeful hunch, that TvC would be a sleeper hit.

I never saw anything from NMH2 outside of "it's coming out and it's a bit better than the first one."

Stumpokapow said:
re bayonetta

Mad World First Month >>>> God Hand First Month... Would 66k really be so bad for Mad World?

That reeks of a double standard especially when DMC3 was only on a single platform. Not to mention, DMC4 did 550k on a smaller userbase.

mugurumakensei said:
Mad World First Month >>>> God Hand First Month... Would 66k really be so bad for Mad World?

That reeks of a double standard especially when DMC3 was only on a single platform.

Shhh, you're taking away people's troll fodder to use against the Wii.

Tiktaalik

Bayonetta's sales seem pretty closely inline with its genre to me. A bit less than the 200k I was expecting, but that genre has been declining for a while so I'm not too surprised.

AniHawk

Kaijima said:
Bayonetta will probably have slow burning legs because it will get constant low level word of mouth about being a fantastic action game, even if it looks weird.

This goes against how pretty much every single HD/hardcore game sells.

Penguin

VideoMan said:
I can't help but think that the 360/PS3 port of NMH hurt sales of NMH2 at least a little bit. Unless you're a rabid NMH fan who has to have the game on day one why wouldn't you wait to see if NMH2 comes to other consoles with new modes and extras like the first one did?

I could potentially see that being a problem, but hell we still don't know if the port of the original is even making it over to the West yet.

Nor do we know if it is necessarily better.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
KuwabaraTheMan said:
A system with a larger install base than the 360 and PS3 combined, though. That's worth pointing out in that comparison.
Fair enough.

The sales for Bayonetta are fine for what it is. It's a new game and a new type of game too. Despite it's marketing budget, I don't think a whole lot of people would really give a damn about an action game with a disproportionate, albeit sexy, female lead.

racerx

Banned
Mass effect 2's sales are pretty disappointing. I expected it to do about 1 million.

Uncharted 2 did like 500k on half of the 360 install base.

AniHawk

sillymonkey321 said:
Before Wii came out, selling 100k tended to get your game on the charts and was considered a good start from the Gaf Collective. Then Wii gradually introduced the same 2 to 4 games that were consistent great sellers, thus pushing 100k selling new releases out of the top ten to make way for reappearing Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, etc.

used to be :

300k+ = great start!
100k+ = yay you didnt bomb!
100< = bomba? nooooooooooo curse you gamers!

This is also true. Although people still tend to consider less sales for niche games to be good, like what happened with Demon's Souls. Before this generation, selling 1-2 million of a game (WW) was an appreciated goal to reach. Now it's so commonplace, it's expected out of everything.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
racerx said:
Mass effect 2's sales are pretty disappointing. I expected it to do about 1 million.
January is just a weird ass time to bring anything out. Mass Effect could have been a summer blockbuster smash. Not that it did bad or anything, of course.

evangd007

Pachinko said:
If you want a game to sell in the US you need to spend money advertising it on TV. Bayonetta would likely have sold twice as many copies if they'd just released it in october, you'd have 3 months that were practically devoid of anything outside of modern warfare 2 and uncharted 2 as well, a tv commercial around halloween could have done some good. Instead it's out just after christmas with next to no promotion at all outside of tradeshows and comic book ads , it came out months after the japanese release so importers basically bought it then instead of waiting.

I mean, I wouldn't call it terrible sales. It's at 160K with both platforms over here , it needs to sell about that much again in the next couple months which I think it can pull off and it should at least break even. Sega was likely hoping for more then breaking even though.

It was advertised. I saw this every week last month. The release time is arguable, the second half of last year became a barren wasteland due to everyone being mortally terrified of Modern Warfare 2, so this may have helped sales (I am certain that releasing during a dry spell helped Borderlands immensely). The delays caused this quarter to become bloated as well.

As for the sales, it would be considered decent if they hadn't shipped 1 million.

C-Jo

racerx said:

Uncharted 2 did like 500k on half of the 360 install base.

These numbers account for 5 days of ME2 sales.

VideoMan said:
I really doubt that is a factor.

Y2Kev said:
ya, it'd be bad
Just like it was bad for God Hand.:lol

Just because it isn't a shock doesn't mean it isn't bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah Bayonetta was advertised out the bum... I meant, a lot.
Reference reference.

I saw its ad at least twice a night for two weeks straight. Was almost borderline excessive, actually.

Ok I'm changing that. Bayonetta's sales are ok. Not good, not what it deserved, just ok. At least they are ok. I have some faith in gamers still.

Eteric Rice

I can't find NMH2 anywhere. :( Not at Toys R' Us, nor is it at Wal-Mart.

Anyway, I can see it crawling up in numbers over time like the first one did.

Hopefully it does, anyway.

C-Jo

mugurumakensei said:
Ah, so selling better than other games in your genre is failing while selling worse is successful. That's good to know.

So selling better than God Hand is something to be proud of now?

mugurumakensei said:
Ah, so selling better than other games in your genre is failing while selling worse is successful. That's good to know.
I already explained it.

Just because the low sales aren't surprising doesn't mean they aren't bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mugurumakensei said:
Ya, that can be bad. It is good to know, so you should tuck it away for future reference.

The "character action" genre is not failing, by the way. We're are going to have three major releases in the first three months of 2010 in that genre (four if you want to count NMH2).

EDarkness

Eteric Rice said:
I can't find NMH2 anywhere. :( Not at Toys R' Us, nor is it at Wal-Mart.

Anyway, I can see it crawling up in numbers over time like the first one did.

Hopefully it does, anyway.

From what I've heard many shops didn't order that many copies. My guess is that Ubisoft didn't push the issue, either. A friend of mine can't find a copy of the game, either, so I'm guessing I heard right.

I think ~200k for Bayonetta is really good, I'm surprised people expected more, it was never going to be some million seller in the US.

Dark Void though, ouch. New IP with very little marketing and buzz, too bad because it's really not that bad (although as a new IP "not that bad" is usually a kiss of death)

Thunder Monkey said:
I already explained it.

Just because the low sales aren't surprising doesn't mean they aren't bad.

The brawler genre hasn't really been popular since the 16-bit days. That publishers can't set expectations and budget around that shows poor management.

I think neither Bayonetta sales nor Mad World sales are good. However, Mad World is at least in a genre that shows a consistent trend (i.e. selling poorly at least since the late PS1/N64 days). Bayonetta is in a genre that has consistent 250k+ sellers.

Curufinwe

qirex99 said:
nah....

the reason that bayonetta bombed so hard is because the demo probably turned off a large majority of normal western gamers.

i really wanted to like it but felt almost the same way I did when I lost interest in NG2 (and all other games of its ilk). Seriously - where is the fun?  Ive not played beyond the demo level, but reports of cheap enemies, trial/error gameplay and that tired old masochistic requirement = epic fail.

Seriously, the japanese devs need to realize that ppl play geames for ENJOYMENT these days....

Bayonetta doesn't have any of that shit, even on Normal. And if you're terrible at action games you have Easy and Easy Automatic difficulties to use for your ENJOYMENT. In other words, stop making up fake flaws about the game.

Top Bottom