• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Odysseus

Banned
the july increase for 360 could also be explained by better data as a result of having more retailers in the mix rather than having to rely on estimates

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
PS3 is pretty much doing exactly what PS2 did. Inferior DC was kicking PS2's ass for over a year until the big PS2 titles started coming out.

Simply History Repeating It's Self.

laserbeam

Banned
Bark252 said:
Whoa at wii! With just strikers out in july. I wonder what MP3 and the rest of the big 3 will do for nintendo.

Strikers was only out for 6 days too in the NPD period so thats pretty impressive.

Sypher

Banned
Guys, Why are we still talking about how to save the PS3? Every "AAA" titles that is supposed to come out has turned out sub-par, Sony WILL NOT drop the price again this year, and in general the industry is 360 centric. I'm not saying its time wrap it up, but its no longer a race .

...and the X360.
1218103444_c6ef26af7b_o.png

Sales mostly concentrated in North America.

sonycowboy said:
The real question is will Sony be desperate enough to do something else later this year.

They really have no choice in the matter.
They have some good things coming before the end of the year but no home runs.
As it stands they will be destroyed the rest of the year and if they think Square, Konami, Namco and others will take one for the team they are mistaken.
With the hd format wars going back into limbo they do not have a leg to stand on right now.
Most of their big go to titles will be available on other systems for cheaper, and the ones that are not are in danger of leaning that way.
They are running out of "wait until" titles, with Lair and Heavenly Sword while maybe being great games they have not been high in the eyes of reviewers and the press.
If they do not drop the price again (and I am not talking about 'hey look, the 80gig is now 499' I am talking 80gig for 399) by or at TGS then I will completely agree that it is a lost cause.

felipeko

Square2005 said:
Nearing ten million:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1101/1218085658_8e34a464f3_o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thats to july.. But we have some weeks in august of Media-Create, and that alone is enough to Wii.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wii Games Sales = Wii being the official party toy for the casuals. They dont' seem to be doing anything else with it

LOcKY

it will be surprising to see how many copies Mario Galaxy will sell one its 1st week of releasing.

Nintendo will have to at least produce 1million copies for each region. Considering the User base i can see at least 30% (and thats a real low estimate) on picking up the New Mario title.

Now...... lets see how many Wii hardware they can churn out of the factory from now till christmas. They better have another new Factory up and running by November because if a parent cant find a Wii on the shelves im sure another machine will be just as happy to take its place.

its called a DS Lite :D

tha_con

Banned
VALIS said:
PS3 isn't going anywhere. It will hang around for 5-10 years.

It's the people who think it's still in competition with the 360 in the US who are out to lunch. It's 4.3 million behind with no momentum swing in sight.

Likewise, I think it's the people who think Sony needs to 'be in first' to 'win' in their own eye's, are out to lunch.

Honestly, Sony isn't really looking for 100 Million this generation. They're looking for maybe half that. But half of that, will give them a very good chance at victory for Blu-Ray, which is really what Sony is most concerned with, and if it does win, they'll have won 'more' than they could in the Videogame industry.

At least for the next 5-8 years that disc based media will be around. After that, i assume digital distribution will begin it's full swing.

But, again, Blu-Ray could possibly be the established format for at least a decade, which would give sony more profit, and they'd have room to 'gamble' on the next Playstation.

GhaleonEB

sp0rsk said:
7% is hardly anything interesting.

About the 360 selling 1 million in September, I think it would be pretty bad if 360 didn't at least outsell Wii in September.
It is interesting, considering

--It follows three months of sales declines follwed by a flatline last month. It is a change in trend.

--Widespread anticipation of a price cut in response to the PS3, in addition to the cut being leaked online

--PS3 price cut by $100 did not detract from 360 sales, at least not enough to overcome any impact that NCAA had.

I'll calibrate what September should look like after we see August to guage the price cut impact. They should come close to the Wii, I suppose, but that's perhaps not the most important metric.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Gallagher said:
Mario Galaxy (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Smash Brothers Brawl (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Metroid Prime 3 <-- Christmas 2007
Endless Ocean <-- Christmas 2007

Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers (Systemseller)
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki
Tales of Symphonia 2: Knights of Ratatosk (could be a Systemseller)
WiiFit (SYSTEMSELLER)
A new beginning *Adventure*
Animal Crossing (Systemseller)
Battalion Wars 2
Bully: Scholarchip Edition
Chocobo Mystery Dunegon (Japan Systemseller)
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party (Systemseller)
Dewys Adventure
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dragon Quest Swords (Japan Systemseller)
Fire Emblem 10: Goddess of Dawn (Systemseller)
Secret Files Tunguska
Secret Files 2
Geometry Wars Galaxy
Guitar Hero 3
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Kings Story (possible Systemseller)
Manhunt 2
Mario Kart Wii
MySims (potential for a systemseller at last in japan)
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
Nights:Journey of Dreams
Obscure 2
One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Rockband
Red Steel 2
Rockstar table Tennis
Sam & Max 2
Soul Calibur Legends
Super Paper Mario (Systemseller)
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Trauma Center: New Blood (maybe Systemseller)
Wii Music (Systemseller)

Christma will be rocking everything on wiimageddon

how could an awesome game like metroid prime 3 not be a system seller? thats really underestimating the masses imo.

but the wii hardly needs a system seller anyway.

F#A#Oo

Banned
AstroLad said:
PS3 is pretty much doing exactly what PS2 did. Inferior DC was kicking PS2's ass for over a year until the big PS2 titles started coming out.

Riiiight....

Ramenman

Count Dookkake said:
Seriously, though, who needs funny images when spin is just as funny?

As I said, I dont.

PS3forums said:
People prefer the cheapest system with the worst games it seems.

Anyway, NPD is noT even TOP 10 IN market research companies. SOURCE-npd AT RANK 14

Not only that, these are stats and information that can be changed with a little of money. Every one can collapse its moral with a big amount of money, I doubt $M didn't pay some $ tu rise their sells in NPD charts.

jgkspsx

sonycowboy said:
PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k
BOOO!
WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k
Blech.
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k
This is a typo, right?

Poor PS3. And the 360's gonna wipe the floor with it for the next few months, what with the price cuts, new models, and better quality assurance/warranty support. What the hell is Sony gonna do?

Odysseus

Banned
AstroLad said:

joke post?

ethelred

AstroLad said:

God, I love revisionist history.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Skiptastic said:
Said it before, say it again.

Nintendo's success helps one company: Nintendo.

And BOY, how it's helping!
its the third parties faults for not seeing the genius of the wii.

if red steel and rayman could sell a 1,000,000 each just for being wii specific, there's 3rd party success to be had.

Pachael

PS3: Well your price cuts didn't help very much - but who cares, this little pig's going Wii Wii Wii all the way home! Third parties take notice, Shadow 2 for Wii!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jgkspsx said:
BOOO!

Blech.

This is a typo, right?

Poor PS3. And the 360's gonna wipe the floor with it for the next few months, what with the price cuts, new models, and better quality assurance/warranty support. What the hell is Sony gonna do?

They are going to sit back and watch it happen, like we will. They had their price drop for the year. PS3 can't go too low. They have to worry about the profit margins of Pioneer, Samsung and all the other Blu-Ray players. They can't go that low yet.

Branduil

tha_con said:
Likewise, I think it's the people who think Sony needs to 'be in first' to 'win' in their own eye's, are out to lunch.

Honestly, Sony isn't really looking for 100 Million this generation. They're looking for maybe half that. But half of that, will give them a very good chance at victory for Blu-Ray, which is really what Sony is most concerned with, and if it does win, they'll have won 'more' than they could in the Videogame industry.

At least for the next 5-8 years that disc based media will be around. After that, i assume digital distribution will begin it's full swing.

But, again, Blu-Ray could possibly be the established format for at least a decade, which would give sony more profit, and they'd have room to 'gamble' on the next Playstation.
PS3 isn't doing 50 million. 35 million if they're lucky.

Narag

AstroLad said:

Well played. Quite a few bites from people that know better too.

VALIS

:lol I wonder if NPD keeps a chart on how many people AstroLad successfully fools with fake posts on a daily basis. It's got to be Wii-like numbers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:
It is interesting, considering

--It follows three months of sales declines follwed by a flatline last month. It is a change in trend.

--Widespread anticipation of a price cut in response to the PS3, in addition to the cut being leaked online

--PS3 price cut by $100 did not detract from 360 sales, at least not enough to overcome any impact that NCAA had.

I'll calibrate what September should look like after we see August to guage the price cut impact. They should come close to the Wii, I suppose, but that's perhaps not the most important metric.

I think 7% doesn't fall into "trend" one game can influence 7% in this sales bracket.

egocrata

Banned
AstroLad said:

What? Do you have data to back this up?

Regarding "hardcore gaming", I think what we will be seeing is simply a move back to the NES-to-late-PS1 era status quo. Back in the day, casual games were on consoles, and hardcore, serious, big games (Wing Commander, System Shock, Tie Fighter, Under a Killing Moon, Myth, Starcraft), the ones that pushed the medium forward, were on the PC.

Come this gen, and all of a sudden next-gen consoles ditch the whole affordable-and-mainstream idea and go to raw power. The price gets too close to what a real gaming PC will do, specially if you add the cost of a HDTV. If you are a casual, you were not spending that much on gaming before (you were not buying a $1000 rig for Quake Wars or Company of Heroes), and sure as hell you are not going to do it for a console. Most of the market is seriously price-sensitive, so they gave the prize to the cheapest, most true to consoles´roots constestant: the affordable, easy to use Wii.

So yeah, you want real epics, go back to were they used to be: the PC, were they belong. Boy, I wish I had the money to go back...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Nintendo is absolutely destroying the competition. The real show however are the guys spinning this as positive news for the competition. :lol

We need more graphs though.

itsgreen

haunts said:
I never said people were stupid, I'm just saying the PS3 is most certainly a HD system through and through. You cant say the PS3 is doomed when HDTVs etc haven't even seen full market penetration as of yet.
Omfg no.
If that is the SDF argument. SDF sucks.

Meier

Mario Galaxy will do somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 million copies in November and December (US). Somewhere around 6 million worldwide.

jgkspsx

On the up side, I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who are waiting to buy the PS3 when it hits $200 or $300. I hope this generation can sustain three consoles at least as well as the last one did.

SRG01

Wow, I come home to a 18 page thread.

Anyway, as a pro-Sony consumer (ie. not a fanboy), those are some pretty disappointing results for July. Barely above 150k?

Judging by Sony's recent GC conference, I'm beginning to see that they're following Yahoo!'s ill-fated path: they're spreading themselves far too thin in too many areas.

And there's little to no way they can get themselves out of this mess, unless their titles these coming months prove to be system sellers. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell that for certain until we get to that point.

The only good news out of this is that they managed to sell that much in a normally dead month without an AAA title on hand. That has to say something, right?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
3rd party Wii games don't sell because they are shit. Let's not try and spread misinformation here.

Odysseus

Banned
Visualante said:
You think? A lot of Wii owners will be getting Guitar Hero for the first time.

Rock Band on PS3 and 360 is an expensive package.

rock band is what's getting slaughtered

edit: although it looks like i misread your original post. gh3 on two systems versus rock band on 3... could be close. overall... slaughter.

Gallagher

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
how could an awesome game like metroid prime 3 not be a system seller? thats really underestimating the masses imo.

but the wii hardly needs a system seller anyway.

Iam not sure if it did a good job as a systemseller with Metroid Prime 1 and 2... at last not here in europe

Top Bottom