• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
SRG01 said:
Dude, Wii Play has been out for months and it still has legs. Can you say that about the other titles?

Dude, its a 10 dollar game. You're best argument is MP8.

So all I know is Konami has to have a MGS4 in the works for 360. Making PS3 only games for third parties at this stage is retarded. I think NCAA's 156k is the 1st top 10 3rd party game for PS3 and 3rd top 10 game ever behind Resistance and motorstorm.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Actually I was more thinking that the 360 is more comparable to DC, but a DC whose parent company is bankrolling it all the way and wasnt in financial trouble before it was launched being forced to pull the plug early.

But yeah, Wii = PS2, PS3 = weird Xbox / GC hybrid

In some strange way that makes sense.

Evlar

Banned
sonycowboy said:
They said sales for the first weeks increased by double (and a little bit) and they did.

That being said, they've got to be crunching the numbers to see if they can do anything on price/bundling this holiday, cause they're going to have a VERY ROUGH holiday otherwise.

They'll likely just have to ride it out until early 2008 with GTA IV, MGS 4, & Killzone
That's just too late. Decisions about allocating resources for the big mid-generation games are being made right now, many will be decided by the end of the year. Sony can't wait.

I think they may have to sacrifice the US to save Japan. Their only salvation is 360's great weakness, the system's inability to provide the large Japanese publshing houses with a market of extablished consumers in the home market. If they can hold onto some portion of the Japanese development talent they may be able rebuild their userbase in the US. Eventually. But not in 2007.

dogbowl

Eric WK said:
I've been feeling the same way lately. I don't have anything against the Wii but I believe it's success may be setting a bad precedent in gaming. In ten years, I better still be able to grab a traditional controller and play traditional games.

But that's a discussion for another day. And it's depressing so I'm not going to talk about it any further.

That's what I've been saying for TWENTY years, but dammit I can't find any consoles that will accept my traditional 2600 joystick.

Tmac

Am i crazy or everyone bashing Sony, when the real console in trouble is the xbox360?

Xbox:

- Virtually dead on japan (which is key not only because of sales figures, but for software too)
- Selling about the same on NA and probably less than ps3 worldwide.
- Huge problem with the 3rl issue
- Lost (or about to loose) market share leadership to Wii

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam
- Sells reasonable well on all 3 major markets (NA, Europe, Japan)
- outsells Xbox by about 100k a month on japan
- Blu-ray gaining terrain over hd-dvd
- Have a gamming company behind it that knows how to push a console (see what happened to PSP)

-------

Does Ps3 have it share of problems? It sure does. But it sure isnt the only one in trouble.

jgkspsx

MrNyarlathotep said:
Actually I was more thinking that the 360 is more comparable to DC, but a DC whose parent company is bankrolling it all the way and wasnt in financial trouble before it was launched being forced to pull the plug early.

A rising tide lifts all boats?
I'm not going to make the obvious Wii joke, because those are out of style.

Meier

I'm curious about All-Pro Football sales. I called it bombing, but it seems like it must have bombed more than anyone could have imagined.

Tmac said:
Am i crazy or everyone bashing Sony, when the real console in trouble is the xbox360?

Both systems have their issues.

It's just that Sony had a lot of things going for it this NPD and it still couldn't crack the 360's numbers whereas the 360 not so much.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Tmac said:

Xbox:

- Virtually dead on japan (which is key not only because of sales figures, but for software too)

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam
- Have a gamming company behind it that knows how to push a console (see what happened to PSP)

-------

Does Ps3 have it share of problems? It sure does. But it sure isnt the only one in trouble.
This point is more than debatable. The bit about PSP I don't understand.

MrNyarlathotep said:

I'd say the 360 is more like the Sega Genesis, which became the default sports console for most devs and gamers, had tons of classic games, and enjoyed a healthy early lead and some months of neck to neck sales with the SNES here in the states before being trampled in its later years. It also flopped in Japan and did respectable in Europe. I can see the 360 following a similar sales pattern, minus 32xing the console in 2010.

Tmac said:

You're crazy. No one's threatening to cancel 360 projects if sales don't pick up. Because software sales are insanely healthy for nearly every game thrown at the platform. For 3rd parties those are the only numbers that matter.

I can't wait for the Madden numbers.

Tmac said:
This depends vastly on Halo 3. Is everyone prepared, or have they waiting for the Halo 3 limited edition?

theguy

sypher said:
Can SonyCowboy PLEASE get a new tag? PLEASE?!?!?

SonyCowboy's a racist? Shit. I always knew he was a pain in the ass but a racist? SC, you don't hate Irish/German/Jew mixes do you? If so, we can't work together anymore.

Culex

Banned
Tmac said:

Xbox:

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam

-------

PS3 is not selling "reasonably well" in Japan.

Tmac said:

Xbox:

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam

-------

Look at the software sales on the system^^
3rd parties have a reason to support it.

The Sphinx said:
That's just too late. Decisions about allocating resources for the big mid-generation games are being made right now, many will be decided by the end of the year. Sony can't wait.

I think they may have to sacrifice the US to save Japan. Their only salvation is 360's great weakness, the system's inability to provide the large Japanese publshing houses with a market of extablished consumers in the home market. If they can hold onto some portion of the Japanese development talent they may be able rebuild their userbase in the US. Eventually. But not in 2007.

Decisions have already been made and Sony is behind projections, but not nearly as much as you may think they are. Publisher's, by and large, were pissed about the original retail and have been prepared for muted sales for both the 360 and PS3 this generation.

I don't see the high tech developers deciding that they should be using years old technology to make most of their games, and they're leveraging their bets across the PS3 and the 360 because of development costs.

Thinking that the PS3 is going to be abandoned based on current sales is foolish. Thinking they'll not get exclusives and lose some of the ones they have has already been happening since launch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tmac said:

I agree with your general point, but the problem for Sony is they started a year in the hole. They can't just be even with the 360- they have to start beating it consistently. Also..the software sales are anemic compared to the 360's. That spells trouble.

minus_273

Banned
Tmac said:

Xbox:

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam

-------

i believe Capcom would disagree with you about japanese companies needing japanese sales on the 360

So updates anyone?

I still say Sony is in no way in trouble or doomed. Guys we got a long way to go. Excluding the Wii.

You guys acted as if Sony didn't know this was going to happen when they priced their console.

They fully expected it.

d+pad

Zerodoppler said:
What if Wii owners simply aren't interested in games other than Wii Sports?

My collection of 6 Wii games says otherwise.

Oh, and like everyone else has said, Trauma Center and RE4 say 'Hi'

Hopefully Dewy and Zack and Wiki will do well, too, since Konami and Capcom need a reason or two to pull their heads out of their asses (Capcom especially).

SRG01

The Sphinx said:

But was anyone really expecting Sony to perform exceedingly well compared to the 360 this year in the US though?

I mean, most of us knew that the PS3 won't have a good software lineup by the end of this year. But the 360 did.

The best that Sony can hope for is their early 2008 lineup to do well.

simpleton

I don't ever post here, but I feel I had to do this to be part of this epic thread. Enjoy.

Bye guys.
3NGX_1183065406_donvitololck7ll4.gif

2leggeddog.gif

TricycleFaceplant.gif

doggy-shirt3.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
haunts said:
I never said people were stupid, I'm just saying the PS3 is most certainly a HD system through and through. You cant say the PS3 is doomed when HDTVs etc haven't even seen full market penetration as of yet.
This argument is still being made? How does that explain Japan then, which has the highest HD penetration of all the markets and has had the PS3 at the cheapest price for the longest time period?

Cue "no games yet" here...

mr stroke

tahrikmili said:
The Wii will become a marketing case study at Harvard Business School. You heard it here first. Nintendo have managed a phenomenal marketing success with such a technically uncompetitive product. I'm seriously wowed.

the Wii has gone from zero to hero amazingly fast, from a business stand point this has to be unheard of....I can't think of any company that goes from last place on life support to sold out in 1 generation cycle

Tmac said:

Xbox:

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam

-------

360 has the best selling software title this month. After being thoroughly trounced by the console market leader. That's a rather elaborate feather to have in one's cap, and next month the software REALLY starts rolling in. They're making, ostensibly, the most money for publishers, which is an enormous positive. PS3 is making not as much for publishers.

Polari

Tmac said:

Xbox:

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam Hahaha
- Sells reasonable well on all 3 major markets (NA, Europe, Japan) Some would call this a difference of opinion, I think "lie" is more accurate
- outsells Xbox by about 100k a month on japan What doesn't?
- Blu-ray gaining terrain over hd-dvd Still completely irrelevant when compared to DVD
- Have a gamming company behind it that knows how to push a console (see what happened to PSP) Unlike Microsoft? The world's biggest consumer software company?

-------

Happy to help.

justjohn

The Sphinx said:

wow, i mean seriously wow.

Sypher

Banned
simpleton said:
I don't ever post here, but I feel I had to do this to be part of this epic thread. Enjoy.

Bye guys.

This thread wanst that epic. You just wasted a good account. You wont be missed.

driley said:
SonyCowboy's a racist? Shit. I always knew he was a pain in the ass but a racist? SC, you don't hate Irish/German/Jew mixes do you? If so, we can't work together anymore.

;)

Don't blame NeoGAF for my sins. They're innocent. I've been burned in effigy on many sites. This particular person is likely one of the new breed of "reverse psychology pretend biased posters" that are in vogue.

Set up a ridiculous straw man that has no reason, associate it with the enemy, and take down the enemy with ridicule. It's gaining popularlity.

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/ - I think this is the leading edge.

Top Bottom