• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sypher said:
This has probably been brought up a million times, but doesnt NPD not count Wal-Mart and Online retailers? Does anyone?

Starting this month they include online retailers including Amazon.

michaeld

Banned
ps3forums said:
you guys need to have faith in the ps3. 08 is gonna be sony's year. right now it's the calm before the storm. like they say, when it rain, it pours. when sony is able to utilize its console to it maximum capabilities, all these xbox 360 fanboys are gonna jump on the ps3 wagon.
:lol

FrankT

WingM@n said:
Why oct only 250k? Halo 3 releases September 25 , the console sales boost will be in October.

Yea, I'm thinking the same, it's probably going to have some nice legs indo October.

Square2005 said:
Comparison graph-age.
Wii continues to be the fastest selling US console!
quote]OMG things are so bad for the PS3 it isn't even listed.

C4Lukins

Odysseus said:
my unofficial forecast for the remainder of the year's 360 sales is

aug 300k
sep 350k
oct 250k
nov 600k
dec 1200k

subject to change after august npd. i think august will be the weekly average peak until black friday, and then november and december will get the requisite holiday boosts. the fly in the ointment is the halo 360 sku. it may or may not be a factor.

I bet september is closer to 500 K, and october is closer to 350 K. The rest seems right.

doicare

StevieP said:
Price is everything? Really? No, compelling software is what makes people purchase hardware. Just ask the Gamecube how its permanent price advantage worked out for it.

The gamecube is a poor example, it was only slighty cheeper than the competition, so no real difference. The wii however has been significantly cheeper than the 360 and ps3.

Rhindle said:
My take:

The Wii numbers aren't really surprising. Nintendo upped their shipments significantly, and we started to see Wiis sitting on shelves for at least brief periods of time. Sales are still entirely supply driven, but we may be getting a bit closer to the saturation point.

PS3 sales came in about where most people expected. August numbers will tell whether the system can be taken off life support.

360 sales are the only real surprise. The fact that sales held up and even increased in the face of the price cut leak, bad publicity etc. bodes well.

The thing to watch next month is PS2 sales. I suspect the main impact of wider Wii availability will be on PS2 sales.

PS3 won't do well until we get a decent price point. The real question is will Sony be desperate enough to do something else later this year.

I don't think that the Wii and PS2 will affect each other much at all. Wii is still about the unique gaming interface and Nintendo games, not the genre's that the PS2 does well at at this point.

I do keep expecting the PS2 to drop just because it's coming up on 8 years old and it still hasn't hit the $99 price point. At $129, it's unprecedented and makes me wonder if $99 will be allow it to last to 10 years or if the floor will drop out from under it because of the lack of compelling (non multiplatform, PSP port) games.

Odysseus

Banned
WingM@n said:
Why oct only 250k? Halo 3 releases September 25 , the console sales boost will be in October.

i don't subscribe to the theory that individual game releases have huge impacts on console sales in the american market. during the ps2 generation, the chief drivers of hardware sales over and above existing trends were price drops and holidays. games came, games went, sales remained flat. halo 3 is a pretty big game, which is why my september number holds on to the price drop boost longer than i would have otherwise predicted, but it's not going to have the impact many of you think it will.

Whipped Spartan said:
What can Sony even say anymore? I can remember when they use to say BS like we are outselling 360 at this point in time in its life cycle.

Well, they outsold 360 with both PS2 and PSP... that's a point to hammer home.

Against Nintendo? Well... err... ah.

sonycowboy said:
NEW RULE.

The images in these threads provide absolutely no value. If you post one after this point, you're going to get banned.
Respectfully: The thread doesn't really provide any value regardless. What's the problem?

GhaleonEB

Cubsfan23 said:
already have a permaban riding
And we know you're good for it.

No-good, bet-welshing
son of a bitch

:p

Aside from the Wii's astounding ascention, the figure I find most interesting is the 360's weely average increasing 7% in the wake of the PS3 price cut. I'm crediting NCAA there. In the past, major releases haven't moved 360 sales much at all, so this might be a sign of things to come with the price cut combined with Madden/Bioshock in August. I can see ~300k a possibility, and then comes September.

Even with the first month of the price cut, the PS3 is trending behind where the 360 was last year - Sony can't be too happy about that. It's a good start, but they need to ramp up further. Price is still their major barrier. (Though Japan has shown that the right games can and will move hardware.)

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
BUT BUT BUT WII DEMAND IS DYING OFF IM SEEING MOUNTAINS ON THE SHELVES

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, holy fucking shit at those numbers...looks like another few freight-trains of crow are in order.

Epiphyte

Gallagher said:
Mario Galaxy (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Smash Brothers Brawl (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Metroid Prime 3 <-- Christmas 2007
Endless Ocean <-- Christmas 2007

Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers (Systemseller)
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki
Tales of Symphonia 2: Knights of Ratatosk (could be a Systemseller)
WiiFit (SYSTEMSELLER)
A new beginning *Adventure*
Animal Crossing (Systemseller)
Battalion Wars 2
Bully: Scholarchip Edition
Chocobo Mystery Dunegon (Japan Systemseller)
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party (Systemseller)
Dewys Adventure
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dragon Quest Swords (Japan Systemseller)
Fire Emblem 10: Goddess of Dawn (Systemseller)
Secret Files Tunguska
Secret Files 2
Geometry Wars Galaxy
Guitar Hero 3
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Kings Story (possible Systemseller)
Manhunt 2
Mario Kart Wii
MySims (potential for a systemseller at last in japan)
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
Nights:Journey of Dreams
Obscure 2
One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Rockband
Red Steel 2
Rockstar table Tennis
Sam & Max 2
Soul Calibur Legends
Super Paper Mario (Systemseller)
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Trauma Center: New Blood (maybe Systemseller)
Wii Music (Systemseller)

Christma will be rocking everything on wiimageddon
Dude, I love FE, but it has not, nor will it ever be a system seller in the US. However, it is a great game for the hardcore and I hope it sees good sales.

tha_con

Banned
jj984jj said:
*looks at avatar*

I know, Halo 3 IN-game taught me that.

Because obviously me joking about Killzone / Halo hate / hype is much worse than ranting fanboy's proclaiming death / doom of a console / victory of another based on numbers.

People said the same thing about the PSP for ages, that it was 'dead'..."rip PSP".

Guess what? It's still here.

People said the DS was a 'fad'...guess what? It's still here.

basically, there are a lot of members on GAF who are 'extremists". They take everything to the max. "ZOMG, PS3 am fail". Most of the members on this forum, myself included, weren't even AROUND long enough to quote these trends.

It's just amusing, and sad, to see so many people simply conform to a collective and say the same shit we've all been hearing for months on end. PS3 isn't going anywhere, and the Wii isn't a fad. Why is anyone surprised by this?

doicare said:
The gamecube is a poor example, it was only slighty cheeper than the competition, so no real difference. The wii however has been significantly cheeper than the 360 and ps3.

Slightly cheaper? I thought it was $100 cheaper? Which is currently where the Wii/non-tard 360 is sitting at.

Linkhero1

Slurpy said:
BUT BUT BUT WII DEMAND IS DYING OFF IM SEEING MOUNTAINS ON THE SHELVES

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, holy fucking shit at those numbers...looks like another few freight-trains of crow are in order.
:lol Mountains :lol

Surely the high 360 sales could be explained by the fact that MS confirmed the 3 year warranty for RROD at the start of July, giving a lot of security in a 360 buy (a few GAFfers said they would buy a 360 after that announcement) and the extra heatsink included in new/repaired units? Probably gave consumers a bit more confidence in buying a 360 if they held off from one before due to reliability etc.

Gallagher

Banned
Epiphyte said:
Dude, I love FE, but it has not, nor will it ever be a system seller in the US. However, it is a great game for the hardcore and I hope it sees good sales.

Jeah its all more or less... mostly i think of europe and second of america then japan ^^

Remember the halcyon days of this generation's youth, when Sony was believed to be able to sell 5 million units at $600 without any games?

What happened to those days?

Seriously, though, who needs funny images when spin is just as funny?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
tha_con said:
Because obviously me joking about Killzone / Halo hate / hype is much worse than ranting fanboy's proclaiming death / doom of a console / victory of another based on numbers.

People said the same thing about the PSP for ages, that it was 'dead'..."rip PSP".

basically, there are a lot of members on GAF who are 'extremists". They take everything to the max. "ZOMG, PS3 am fail". Most of the members on this forum, myself included, weren't even AROUND long enough to quote these trends.

It's just amusing, and sad, to see so many people simply conform to a collective and say the same shit we've all been hearing for months on end. PS3 isn't going anywhere, and the Wii isn't a fad. Why is anyone surprised by this?
By now Sony is probably wishing the PS3 could do as well as the PSP did, but it still isn't doom and gloom and nobody said it was. Quite honestly anybody who says that are joking just as clearly as you are.

sonycowboy said:
PS3 won't do well until we get a decent price point. The real question is will Sony be desperate enough to do something else later this year.

I don't think that the Wii and PS2 will affect each other much at all. Wii is still about the unique gaming interface and Nintendo games, not the genre's that the PS2 does well at at this point.

I do keep expecting the PS2 to drop just because it's coming up on 8 years old and it still hasn't hit the $99 price point. At $129, it's unprecedented and makes me wonder if $99 will be allow it to last to 10 years or if the floor will drop out from under it because of the lack of compelling (non multiplatform, PSP port) games.
well, i think the success of the wii will help the ps2 keep truckingl. porting to the ps2 from the wii (or vice versa) is going to make a ps2 version of a game pretty appealing financially so long as the software continues to sell.

for example, if Capcom did make RE5 for the wii, it'd be pretty easy for them to also make a ps2 version. ps2 sales are imho only helped by the runaway success of the wii.

VALIS

tha_con said:

PS3 isn't going anywhere. It will hang around for 5-10 years.

It's the people who think it's still in competition with the 360 in the US who are out to lunch. It's 4.3 million behind with no momentum swing in sight.

Parl said:
Japan: 335,307
Other: 360,000 (90k weeks)
US: 425,000
Canada: 36,419

World: Domination (1.16 million in 4 weeks)
that's wii worldwide? wow, insane.

Wii Play can be explained away by the number of ebayers who sell the system with "two" controllers and "14" games.

laserbeam said:
Seems like the PR statements from Sony is later then usual they are usually pretty quick with the PR fluff
They probably know how much they've sold in advance- they can squirm all they want but Sony PR really must be laughing at their job.

Gallagher said:
Mario Galaxy (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Smash Brothers Brawl (Systemseller) <-- Christmas 2007
Metroid Prime 3 <-- Christmas 2007
Endless Ocean <-- Christmas 2007

Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers (Systemseller)
No More Heroes
Zack & Wiki
Tales of Symphonia 2: Knights of Ratatosk (could be a Systemseller)
WiiFit (SYSTEMSELLER)
A new beginning *Adventure*
Animal Crossing (Systemseller)
Battalion Wars 2
Bully: Scholarchip Edition
Chocobo Mystery Dunegon (Japan Systemseller)
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party (Systemseller)
Dewys Adventure
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dragon Quest Swords (Japan Systemseller)
Fire Emblem 10: Goddess of Dawn (Systemseller)
Secret Files Tunguska
Secret Files 2
Geometry Wars Galaxy
Guitar Hero 3
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Kings Story (possible Systemseller)
Manhunt 2
Mario Kart Wii
MySims (potential for a systemseller at last in japan)
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
Nights:Journey of Dreams
Obscure 2
One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Rockband
Red Steel 2
Rockstar table Tennis
Sam & Max 2
Soul Calibur Legends
Super Paper Mario (Systemseller)
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Trauma Center: New Blood (maybe Systemseller)
Wii Music (Systemseller)

Christma will be rocking everything on wiimageddon

You forgot Mario & Sonic (Systemseller)

F#A#Oo

Banned
haunts said:
I never said people were stupid, I'm just saying the PS3 is most certainly a HD system through and through. You cant say the PS3 is doomed when HDTVs etc haven't even seen full market penetration as of yet.

And even in 5 years the HD penetration will still not be a majority.

Guy Legend

First things first for Sony, once the 60 gb runs out (who really knows when this will happen), they will have to drop the 80 gb to $500 without hesitation. Keep Motorstorm in there and pack in Spider Man 3 blu ray movie to teach the consumer about Blu ray. A pack in game and movie would do well in getting the consumer's attention.

Another $50 price break should also be considered. $100 off would be a bit soon, considering they dropped recently. I'd also expect to see retail specific deals for the PS3 like we saw last year with xbox (toysrus gift cards, circuit city/best buy/target free game or controller, etc.).

doicare

schuelma said:
The trouble is they need to show publishers why they should switch from 360 to PS3 development; publishers right now make a ton of money off of 360 games. If the PS3 isn't going to be closing a 4M plus gap anytime soon, what incentive is there?

Well they are closing the gap worldwide and that's without a price drop in europe and japan.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:
And we know you're good for it.

No-good, bet-welshing
son of a bitch

:p

Aside from the Wii's astounding ascention, the figure I find most interesting is the 360's weely average increasing 7% in the wake of the PS3 price cut. I'm crediting NCAA there. In the past, major releases haven't moved 360 sales much at all, so this might be a sign of things to come with the price cut combined with Madden/Bioshock in August. I can see ~300k a possibility, and then comes September.

7% is hardly anything interesting.

About the 360 selling 1 million in September, I think it would be pretty bad if 360 didn't at least outsell Wii in September.

I'm curious to see if Nintendo puts a few more systems in the channel to combat Halo 3.

Bildi

-COOLIO- said:
:lol

i spy a way to get images into this thread?
No, it's been like that for months. It was part of a joke about the controversy raised by such a graph and the potential of bannings and I've never bothered to change the image. It was called the NeoGAF Graph of Controversy originally.

My bad - fixed now.

Top Bottom