• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

d+pad

sonycowboy said:
July Hardware Figures
Wii 425 k

Is it possible Nintendo moved some of its hardware from other regions (Japan especially) to the US this month?

I thought it was weird that Wii sales in Japan dipped a bit recently (and then rose again), and now with this massive increase in the US it seems to suggest that a shift might have occurred.

Maybe Nintendo wanted to put another nail in the coffin for Sony and MS in the US, since the market is Japan is all but accounted for?

FortunateSon said:
So updates anyone?

I still say Sony is in no way in trouble or doomed. Guys we got a long way to go. Excluding the Wii.

You guys acted as if Sony didn't know this was going to happen when they priced their console.

They fully expected it.

Don't worry. Nobody is doomed here.

Doomed here is just a way of saying "Owned", and Ps3 is being owned that's all. Don't worry, it's just GAf talk.

Ps3 will do just fine. Somehow this make me hope for a next gen where MS does the software side of the console and Sony the hardware. I mean why not? Get Live and the MS api on it, and let Sony design the hardware. It would be cool if this industry went that way, like the home video.

SRG01 said:
But was anyone really expecting Sony to perform exceedingly well compared to the 360 this year in the US though?

I mean, most of us knew that the PS3 won't have a good software lineup by the end of this year. But the 360 did.

The best that Sony can hope for is their early 2008 lineup to do well.
5 million consoles sold without games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I still can't believe people are still spewing the "wait for such-and-such game!" excuse.

They did it for the N64. They did it for the DC. They even did it for the GC/Xbox. Look where those consoles went.

Saoh

FortunateSon said:
You guys acted as if Sony didn't know this was going to happen when they priced their console.

They fully expected it.

so, you're calling Sony stupid... right?

i think someone who compared certain game to Halo and Bioshock must be a wee bit sad right now.

spwolf

BenjaminBirdie said:
360 has the best selling software title this month. After being thoroughly trounced by the console market leader. That's a rather elaborate feather to have in one's cap, and next month the software REALLY starts rolling in. They're making, ostensibly, the most money for publishers, which is an enormous positive. PS3 is making not as much for publishers.

except that PS2 is making much more than both :).

Sony doubled sales in Japan and USA... Sony am doomed

:D

jgkspsx

mr stroke said:
the Wii has gone from zero to hero amazingly fast, from a business stand point this has to be unheard of....I can't think of any company that goes from last place on life support to sold out in 1 generation cycle
Nintendo stayed financially extremely healthy and robust last gen despite the relative failure of the GCN. That's not exactly life support. The GCN didn't tank in sales until Nintendo pulled support for it, which they did very drastically.

Edit: I'm an idiot, nevermind. Pretty impressive sales for PS3 NCAA!

speedpop said:
I still can't believe people are still spewing the "wait for such-and-such game!" excuse.

They did it for the N64. They did it for the DC. They even did it for the GC/Xbox. Look where those consoles went.

Look at the DS...

Wait a second.

Seriously though, we've never had a 3 tiered pricing situation like this before, so it's very hard to use history as a guide. It gets harder and harder to conceive that the PS3 will be able to overtake the other systems, but the pricing also makes it impossible.

Also, the N64 had a very, very serious run at the PSOne. I think you should study the history a bit more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow...PS3forums is just an absolute barrel of laughs. At least there are some (albeit not many) voices of reason on there. Here's my favorite post:

Tyrien:

"Wii just mysteriously sells millions, but no one really cares about it. To be honest mentioning Wii sales numbers is really pointless."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sonycowboy said:
Look at the DS...

Wait a second.

Seriously though, we've never had a 3 tiered pricing situation like this before, so it's very hard to use history as a guide. It gets harder and harder to conceive that the PS3 will be able to overtake the other systems, but the pricing also makes it impossible.

Also, the N64 had a very, very serious run at the PSOne. I think you should study the history a bit more.

- What are your thoughts re: Wii third party support? From your comments it seems that you find it unlikely that publishers will really go all out for the Wii. Is that correct?

mr stroke

dextran said:
I'll ad my 2c. I bought a PS3 at the end of July, so I'm terribly surprised to see such low numbers from Sony. The Paramount announcement is even more important now because the allure of blu-ray is quickly eroding. Blu-ray is one of the main reasons I picked up the PS3. The 360 price cut is more 'fresh' then Sony's and MORE importantly is being supported with a slew of software - Bioshock, Madden, Halo. Crushing defeat. I don't know how Sony will survive this fall. After Lair, Heavenly Sword, & Warhawk come out next Month - that will disappear before Christmas.

Ya it looks pretty bad for Sony this Holiday....

AND even IF Sony drops the price another 100$ will people really spend 150$ more for a system with out Halo and almost the same games?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay - the PS3 being outsold by the X360 after the "price drop" cannot be good news for sony.
Surely next month is going to be even worse for them too on the PS3 front?

TheKurgan

Wii numbers are amazing. There are no good games on it, who buys it?
360 numbers seem pretty stable but still not stellar
PS3 - can't believe they didn't beat the 360 given the hype of a price cut (shit I almost bought one). They are going to get slaughtered next month when the 360 price cut hits the market.

michaeld

Banned
ps3forums said:
Dont worry about the wii owners, they will grow up soon and buy a PS3 in the end.

ps3forums said:
anyway, NPD is noT even TOP 10 IN market research companies. SOURCE-npd AT RANK 14

Not only that, these are stats and information that can be changed with a little of money. Every one can collapse its moral with a big amount of money, I doubt $M didn't pay some $ tu rise their sells in NPD charts.

ps3forums said:
Once Lair and Heavenly Sword come out, I wouldn't be surprised to see numbers of 300K+ a month.

ps3forums said:
looking at this makes me say that ms is using replacements as sells
:lol :lol :lol

Frillen

wowfactor said:
The PS3 has only 3 weeks since the price drop plus the price-drop leak forced people to wait so I think the PS3 sales is ok.

:lol :lol

I can't tell if it's a joke post or not :lol

gkryhewy

Xbox:

- Selling about the same on NA and probably less than ps3 worldwide. PS3 sniffs 360 sales for one month and they're selling about the same? It's losing ground every single month
- Huge problem with the 3rl issue Doesn't seem to be hurting sales, and not anymore
- Lost (or about to loose) market share leadership to Wii They don't care

Ps3:

- Sales picking up steam Let's see next month
- Sells reasonable well on all 3 major markets (NA, Europe, Japan) No, it hasn't
- outsells Xbox by about 100k a month on japan It rarely hits 100k per month in Japan
- Blu-ray gaining terrain over hd-dvd Irrelevant for gaming, and have you been reading the OT?
- Have a gamming company behind it that knows how to push a console (see what happened to PSP) Come on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm sure this has already been answered before, but has the wii passed the 360 yet World-Wide?

Unofficially, I think we all (meaning us keeping track of sales) say yes. Its hard to say exactly because exact Europe numbers are still a mystery..but using leaked and reported numbers, then yes.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Maybe he could if he had the data to look at. ;)

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Not that this is going to be the final nail in the coffin or anything, but if these very strong trends continue on like everyone thinks they will, I think the future of the industry will change in a big way.

So what's gonna happen then? I imagine both MS and Nintendo will try to replicate Nintendo's immediately profitable, under $300 console strategies.

Problem is that... how much exactly can $300 buy in 5-7 years? Especially when the value of the dollar keeps shrinking?

Pachael

Whipped Spartan said:
Yea N64 had like over 45% market share. People keep acting like it got crushed

It got crushed later, though the focus was on the even more crushed Saturn. And the GC wasn't much better against PS2 competition. What does it matter - we should be celebrating the Wii phoenix - the past is gone for all now, it's the present and future we should be talking about :)

DoubleTap

TheKurgan said:
Wii numbers are amazing. There are no good games on it, who buys it?
360 numbers seem pretty stable but still not stellar
PS3 - can't believe they didn't beat the 360 given the hype of a price cut (shit I almost bought one). They are going to get slaughtered next month when the 360 price cut hits the market.

I think you hit the nail on the head a lot of people almost bought the PS3 last month so it almost beat the 360.

dextran

The only thing that can save Sony is Gran Turismo. It's one of their few exclusives that still wows AND is mass market. Lair, Heavenly, Warhawk - all niche stuff.

Livin_Lovin said:
So, when will PS2 stop being a formidable console? Hell, when will any next-gen console top it?

Never, if Sony was smart they would make another revision to the system and keep supporting it as a Wii competitor.

Sapapayo

gkrykewy said:
- Blu-ray gaining terrain over hd-dvd Irrelevant for gaming, and have you been reading the OT?
- Have a gamming company behind it that knows how to push a console (see what happened to PSP) Come on.

Can someone give me a link to the paramount thread please ?

(sorry about the off topic)

Kuramu

Grecco said:
:lol Why are people killing their accounts? I just dont get it

Being Banned sucks

Because some people are willing to fight for what they believe, even for something as trivial as the once monthly fun of NPD threads. The ban on gifs is lame and I'm majorly disappointed in gaf for doing it.

laserbeam

Banned
Livin_Lovin said:
So, when will PS2 stop being a formidable console? Hell, when will any next-gen console top it?

Theres a Next Gen Console beating it out every month or rather a current gen console. You may not be a fan of it but that doesnt change the facts

goldenpp72

yeah I am to, the npd threads had a unique balance before, but ever since the npd crackdown it's gotten pretty boring.. and now this.

Top Bottom