• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

WindyMan

I don't know if this is completely clear to everyone, but because of the four week July period, Wii sales increased 39% week-to-week from last month. That's a lot of new consoles, and sustained demand for them.

Odysseus

Banned
michaeld, why don't you make some more posts with nothing but laughing emoticons. heaven knows you haven't done that enough. do that in between pulling some more glorious quotes from ps3forums. haven't done that enough, either.

WindyMan said:
I don't know if this is completely clear to everyone, but because of the four week July period, Wii sales increased 39% week-to-week from last month. That's a lot of new consoles, and sustained demand for them.
Yeah, I was doing the math for my news post, and was like, fuck, that can't be right, but it was.

Kind of puts the kill on those rumors from Taiwan that production increases weren't happening. That's two strikes for Digitimes.

AdmiralViscen said:
I remember circa May 2006 when if you said that price would hurt Sony, Sony guys would tell you to suck it. Now they shrug off PS3 sales because of course the cheapest sells better. While ignoring that Wii outsells the half-price PS2.

How the brand would make it a non issue and all that...riight.

JKBii

JKBii said:
I'd like some LTD data for the top ten for each platform, as well as data for specific games that aren't in the top ten that are requested (for example, I'm interested in the Madden Wii sales for next month but I don't think they'll make the top ten). I'd also like tie ratios but something like that doesn't really need to be updated monthly.

As for the image ban, I'm pretty new here but I thought it was understood that these threads were supposed to be laid back mini-parties. There are weekly Media Create threads, regular PAL threads, regular NPD threads, the Wii Takeover thread, and there are still thread made every so often about hardware sales, and they're all talking about the same basic trends. How often do you expect people to have the same discussion?

If you really want to talk about how the industry is moving based on hardware sales, it would be better to keep it in a separate thread and leave the routinely made sales threads to jokes and lighter discussion.
Nobody cares. Aww.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit! NPD day and I slept through it! :(

And go easy on FortunateSon...Between this and the Heavenly Sword thread the guy has had a really rough day!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WindyMan said:

Yeah... its really insane. That's why I'm wondering if NPD has been underestimating online sales for Wii which might account for some of that bump.

schuelma

tha_con said:
Where are full software numbers? I'm hearing word of 100K for Mario Strikers and 90K for RE4?

IMO, if you have 10 million consoles, you should be pushing a lot more software....right?

I mean, it's not doom and gloom, but that certainly doesn't sit well with me. Of course, this is still the beginning of the Wii's life cycle, and the casuals obviously don't buy much more than minigames, but still. Wow @ Wii Play pushing almost 300K. 5 months after release.

Well, first off, its 4M in N.A, 10M world wide. Second, Wii software is doing pretty well- you left out Mario Party, and neglected to mention that Strikers sold that in 5 days. Not to mention, 90K for RE4 in its second month is quite honestly superb.

minus_273

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
I remember circa May 2006 when if you said that price would hurt Sony, Sony guys would tell you to suck it. Now they shrug off PS3 sales because of course the cheapest sells better. While ignoring that Wii outsells the half-price PS2.

are you telling me you didnt didnt have the discipline to work a second job to get your ps3?

tha_con said:
Where are full software numbers? I'm hearing word of 100K for Mario Strikers and 90K for RE4?

IMO, if you have 10 million consoles, you should be pushing a lot more software....right?

I mean, it's not doom and gloom, but that certainly doesn't sit well with me. Of course, this is still the beginning of the Wii's life cycle, and the casuals obviously don't buy much more than minigames, but still. Wow @ Wii Play pushing almost 300K. 5 months after release.

Strikers came out at the very end of the month and only had a few days of sales, and RE4 is the fourth port of a 2 year old game, and is selling better than Capcom expected.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, I was doing the math for my news post, and was like, fuck, that can't be right, but it was.

Kind of puts the kill on those rumors from Taiwan that production increases weren't happening. That's two strikes for Digitimes.
The US stole Wii consoles from Canada. :(

minus_273 said:
are you telling me you didnt didnt have the discipline to work a second job to get your ps3?

:lol

I decided that Wii60 was the better way to spend my ~$600. I held off on buying a 360 until September 2006 because I wanted to go PS3-only. I also didn't want to spend $400 on a console, but I got a good deal on it and here I am.

Odysseus

Banned
Psychotext said:
I've just realised something... Hardly anyone seems to have mentioned Pachter's predictions. :lol

i don't think you'll see pachter mention them, either

although i was cumulatively off by almost as much as he was. at least i hadn't seen canadian npd at the time.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Should I invest in activision? Give me your thoughts gaf! The continued guitar hero success certainly is mindblowing.

Well comparing Sony's shipped to retail number to sold to consumers, it seems like there are at least 2 million 60 gig PS3s still in retail channels. At this rate, 60 gig PS3s might be around for another whole year.

tha_con

Banned
Anyone care to think it's not really a matter of people wanting a PS3, rather, them wanting to spend $500 to get a PS3?

I know a LOT of people who want one.

I don't know a lot of people who want one at $500.

The buzz is most certainly still there, and people 'want' them, but until it drops in price, it won't be shattering records. Still, as has been pointed out, isn't it selling better than the PS1 and PS2?

That's not much to go buy, but I certainly wouldn't start proclaiming doom and gloom.

Sony could still break 100M this generation, and honestly, they could probably care less about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Selling consoles and making money is what's important, and if PS3 makes Blu-ray a success, then sony could give a shit about VG's and the Playstation brand.

Haunted One said:
FortunateSon snapped? :lol I knew it was just a matter of time. nice comments, Kobun.

I know. Oh well. :D

What I called, if you read what I posted, was that PS3 will probably never surpass either of its competitor's NA numbers on a monthly basis. Combine the slow-ass crawl PS3 has been doing to reach two million in NA and the, so far, shit-tastic sales of the software for third parties on the system and you get a clear understanding of how poorly the platform is doing in the largest market. August will probably see X360 more than double its July numbers (price drop/Madden being key points of interest) and then start seeing how, with Halo 3 and others will help cement everything against PS3 by end of September.

Isn't NCAA Ps3 in the top 10 charts this month? That shows that there is a fanbase that will buy multiplatform games. No reason for them (3rd party publishers/developers) to drop/make Ps3 games. Doing so only hurt publishers don't you think?

Poorly? Dude, the Ps3 is going to hit 2 million by end of September? You call that shit? It's doing fine in the American market. Probably lagging behing 360 but so? That's why the console race doesn't end in 2007.

Xbox360 doubling its numbers in August? Uh, no. If I'm not wrong, when Gears came out, 360 hardware barely got a bump in hardware sales. So, you think with Madden and a $50 price drop (which by all means isn't a significant drop. Nothing big at all) will push big numbers for the 360?

Honestly, Halo 3 and "others" will cement Ps3 by the end of September? I will hold you to that.

By end of holiday season (January to February), PS3 will likely have seen the highest numbers it will ever see for the rest of its lifespan in NA, IMO. It's all going to snowball away from them just as it has for many third place systems that lag seriously behind the other two. Third parties will likely drop many titles from their PS3 lists by February if software sales don't pick up soon. In NA, Sony's stuck in third

You don't know that! Ps3 has some big games coming out in 2008 and I mean BIG. There's still the price drop and among other issues. So what you're saying is, just "go by the history" is that it? You are going by history that just because all 3rd place system that lag in the beginning will basically end up last. That's great mate. Great.

I will also hold you to the claim of "3rd parties dropping out on the Ps3 if the Ps3 software sales don't pick up soon, by February"

And again, with that comment. "Sony's stuck in 3rd". Guy, they aren't. They have many siituations in-hand which can play out differenlt and turn the tides. You never know.

schuelma

tha_con said:
The buzz is most certainly still there, and people 'want' them, but until it drops in price, it won't be shattering records. Still, as has been pointed out, isn't it selling better than the PS1 and PS2?

Why do people keep saying this?

wii still selling like flap jacks..wow

ps3..i cant believe it, it boggles my mind how bad its selling even after price drop, its surreal after seeing the success of ps1 and ps2.

360.. takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n lol

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
MightyHedgehog said:
What I called, if you read what I posted, was that PS3 will probably never surpass either of its competitor's NA numbers on a monthly basis. Combine the slow-ass crawl PS3 has been doing to reach two million in NA and the, so far, shit-tastic sales of the software for third parties on the system and you get a clear understanding of how poorly the platform is doing in the largest market. August will probably see X360 more than double its July numbers (price drop/Madden being key points of interest) and then start seeing how, with Halo 3 and others will help cement everything against PS3 by end of September. By end of holiday season (January to February), PS3 will likely have seen the highest numbers it will ever see for the rest of its lifespan in NA, IMO. It's all going to snowball away from them just as it has for many third place systems that lag seriously behind the other two. Third parties will likely drop many titles from their PS3 lists by February if software sales don't pick up soon. In NA, Sony's stuck in third.

I agree with you 100%. Momentum means a lot in the video game industry and the PS3 barely has any at this point.

tha_con said:
Anyone care to think it's not really a matter of people wanting a PS3, rather, them wanting to spend $500 to get a PS3?

That's not much to go buy, but I certainly wouldn't start proclaiming doom and gloom.

Sony could still break 100M this generation, and honestly, they could probably care less about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Selling consoles and making money is what's important, and if PS3 makes Blu-ray a success, then sony could give a shit about VG's and the Playstation brand.

Unfortunately for Sony (and not just the PS3) a major sports title sold more on the 360 than the PS2. With about, what, 1/10th the userbase? So they'll have no problem putting out their own games, but publishers (and there are an assload of them) need to make their money somewhere. And Sony has to show them that they can make money on their platform. But even if they do, they'll just (at this point) get included at the table and get the same kind of "just as good" ports as they've been getting all year, but for the next five years, displaying no evidence to gamers why they should spend that much more for their console. After all, multiplatform games have yet to show a significant advantage.

But as you said, you think Sony could give a shit about video games and the Playstation brand. If that's really their mindset, then I suppose they could end up fine from their perspective. Realistically though, I can't imagine that this is the case.

FortunateSon said:
So what you're saying is, just "go by the history" is that it? You are going by history that just because all 3rd place system that lag in the beginning will basically end up last.
I'd rather listen to someone who cites history than someone who cites... what exactly? Faith?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
tha_con said:
No, not at this point... 6-9 months ago? Sure, it was a possibility... but at this point Sony has lost SOOO much ground in consumer mindshare, third party goodwill, and just the damned install base...

We waited til units were replenished. We waited til MotorStorm. We waited til the price drop, and even waited til Lair just for good measure. About the only people who aren't calling a weak third place for Sony this gen are the diehard Sony faithfuls.. and god bless 'em. Without them there probably wouldn't be a Sony console next gen.

And go easy on FortunateSon...Between this and the Heavenly Sword thread the guy has had a really rough day!

Nah. I'm fine guy! I was totally fine in that HS thread. Just blown away by the amount of replies I got just because I said 'that game' will barely sell.

Again, and in this thread, I'm pretty please with the replies so far. :lol :lol :lol

Fuzzy said:
Just to prove it was this trailer's fault, we got shut down after the trailer was made even though we had an NPD employee (driley) as a member here since August 2004.

I still don't get it. Why did they do that? What's the problem?

tha_con said:

Selling better than PS1 and PS2? I'm almost positive the answer is a resounding no, unless you're comparing worldwide sales in which case the separation of regional launch dates of the PS1 and PS2 cause it to be lower. Region by region I'm almost certain PS2 and PS1 sold better.

Grecco

Merovingian said:

The fact that we used to post all of their info? Info they charge thousands and thousands of dollars for? Gaf had it for free.

Sean*O

This almost leaves Microsoft no choice but to drop to $199 before the holiday season if they hope to remain on top.

PS, Pachter was waay off.

FortunateSon said:
Xbox360 doubling its numbers in August? Uh, no. If I'm not wrong, when Gears came out, 360 hardware barely got a bump in hardware sales. So, you think with Madden and a $50 price drop (which by all means isn't a significant drop. Nothing big at all) will push big numbers for the 360?

Honestly, Halo 3 and "others" will cement Ps3 by the end of September? I will hold you to that.

It's already been confirmed by GameStop that 360 sales have doubled in August. And starting Madden Week, every week or two a massive 360 title is dropping, pretty much until the end of the year.

You don't know that! Ps3 has some big games coming out in 2008 and I mean BIG. There's still the price drop and among other issues. So what you're saying is, just "go by the history" is that it? You are going by history that just because all 3rd place system that lag in the beginning will basically end up last. That's great mate. Great.

I will also hold you to the claim of "3rd parties dropping out on the Ps3 if the Ps3 software sales don't pick up soon, by February"

And again, with that comment. "Sony's stuck in 3rd". Guy, they aren't. They have many siituations in-hand which can play out differenlt and turn the tides. You never know.

Unfortunately, the 360 is not standing still. We'll see this July -> August pattern probably repeat every time Sony drops the price. They just barely catch up to the 360 for a month and then next month 360 drops the price again. It could very well happen again and again over the next five years, widening the gap between the two.

tha_con said:
Is it false? I thought it was selling more thus far than the PS1 or PS2?

World wide Figures at least.
it's not a valid comparison really because for the PS1 and PS2 there are less months of sales (when you consider the later american and european). the PS1 was a system from an unproven manufacturer so it's natural it's sales were slower as the brand was slowly building.

in each market the PS3 is tracking way behind the PS2 if you line up the launches in that market.

C4Lukins

Merovingian said:

The NPD makes its money off of selling their research to interested partys. If it is available for free on a gaming forum then nobody is going to pay for it.

GarthVaderUK said:
More than on PS2 and PS3 combined, in fact. Bodes well for Madden 08 on the platform.

Holy shit. That's a landmark. 360 is pretty much guaranteed massive and possibly even preferential third party support for the rest of this gen.

DaMan121

PS1 wasn't a phenomenon until a few years after launch, so its performing better than it, but it definetly under performing ps2 sales, especially when you subtract the launch window sales.

borghe

Sean*O said:
This almost leaves Microsoft no choice but to drop to $199 before the holiday season if they hope to remain on top.
sony won't sustain the raise... it is very rare for a manufacturer to sustain a sales spike after a price drop. MS's numbers on the other hand are without a price drop. Thus the gap will widen next month.. probably much more so given MS will be right at the beginning of a price drop and Sony will be a month later.

MS doesn't need to do shit. They got second place locked and loaded. Not to mention first place for "next-gen" multiplatform development lead.

laserbeam said:
Trailer basically advertised Gaf supplied Numbers for free that people pay lots of money for.

Grecco said:
The fact that we used to post all of their info? Info they charge thousands and thousands of dollars for? Gaf had it for free.

Ooh. So, why do we get these numbers still? (The ones in this thread)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
DeceitDecide said:
My co-worker has a good point: where are all these Wii's coming from? Who's hoarding them?
[Guy_Goma.jpg] .

borghe

Merovingian said:
Ooh. So, why do we get these numbers still? (The ones in this thread)
Because NPD worked out an agreement with neogaf management to post the numbers. basically there was little chance NPD had in stopping the posting of the numbers themselves, and there was little incentive (or legal obligation) for neogaf mods to censor the numbers on their own. This way neogaf gets legit numbers for free and NPD's $12K fee (or whatever) doesn't all the sudden become worthless.

Top Bottom