• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Uncooked

Banned
mabuza said:
:lol what i'm trying to say here is that 360 sales in japan and most of europe is attrocious.
in fact its dead in japan. nothing can save it. in europe with the exception of the uk its not looking too good. so my main problem with this thread is the constant doom and gloom surrounding the ps3 whilst on the other hand some people in this thread are somehow conviniently trying to pretend these regions dont exist and the 360 is a sucess when its far from it.
i'm not trying to spin sony's numbers, they're not good, what baffles me is somehow the 360 is being left off the hook when in reality its actually worse than the ps3.
yeah it has a bigger install base than the ps3, well its been been out for almost a year and a half earlier than the ps3

it is worse? Really?

fallout

JudgeN said:
Why do people think Madden is all of sudden a 360 system sell? Its on 10 different freaking consoles no one going to run out and buy a 360 for madden.
Well, if people think that they'll get the best experience on a 360, then they will. Madden's a pretty big seller.

mabuza said:
yeah it has a bigger install base than the ps3, well its been been out for almost a year and a half earlier than the ps3

EXACTLY. It doesn't matter how it happened, it's just the facts!

That's like saying if two people have $150, and one earned it through working and the other just found it on the street, the first one is somehow richer.

You are citing the sum total and fundamental advantage that MS had and has over Sony this gen. As I said, they had to hurt the 360 the way the Wii did, all year. They didn't.

angelfly

TheGreatDave said:
The Playstation brand has lost a lot of it's power in less than a year. Honestly Playstation doesn't seem to be linked with video games any more. I don't think Wii or 360 is yet, but there's no automatic brand associated with gaming.

Sony ruined the brands reputation with constant mistakes one after another.

VALIS

mabuza said:
can someone please answer me this
why is it the ps3 is outselling the 360 worlwide right now
the 360 selling less than 10000 in japan right now(one of the big three) and yet this thread is full of xbots predicting doom and gloom for sony when its their console which outside of north america( where its selling kinda decent) is actually flopping harder than than the
ps3?
it kinda boggles the freaking mind

Because this thread is about US game sales. Yikes. I haven't read every post in this thread so I'm not entirely sure, but all I've seen here is people predicting doom/3rd place for Sony in the US. Which is almost a lock at 4.3 million behind the 360 and over $100 behind on price.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
When Ps3 gets cheaper, a couple of other things come into play, for one, brand recognition..

Yes, but what does Nintendo`s massive brand recognition value right now have to do with the PS3 when it gets cheaper??

JudgeN said:
Why do people think Madden is all of sudden a 360 system sell? Its on 10 different freaking consoles no one going to run out and buy a 360 for madden.

MS has leveraged the price drop to move people to buy their console. Madden, along with BioShock and the rest of their lineup is what's going to sell the console now that it's cheaper.

Guy Legend

TheGreatDave said:
The Playstation brand has lost a lot of it's power in less than a year. Honestly Playstation doesn't seem to be linked with video games any more. I don't think Wii or 360 is yet, but there's no automatic brand associated with gaming.

That's why the PS2 sells so well? Right....

We could talk about the lack of great games right now, which is true. But the fact is that this is a matter of price. The damn system is still being sold for half a grand, the same $500 and $600 price point the system launched with. Sony's little bait and switch technique turned out to well played in terms of getting a bump in sales, but the fact is being proven that they must hit a lower price point.

They need to get down to $400 to start moving systems. I'll say it again, if they can't hit that point yet, drop it by $50. Throw in Spiderman 3 blu ray movie to educate consumers on that aspect of the technology, while retaining Motorstorm in the bundle. Of course, this is assuming they drop the 80 gb pack right away to $500 once the 60 gb runs out.

Truth is, PS3 will get beat and beat bad this year with Halo and company (North America). Next year, when Sony gets its AAA games out and drops the price, they can make signifigant gains. Besides, it's been pointed out that on a worldwide basis, the PS3 is doing fine...for now.

mabuza said:
:lol what i'm trying to say here is that 360 sales in japan and most of europe is attrocious.
in fact its dead in japan. nothing can save it. in europe with the exception of the uk its not looking too good. so my main problem with this thread is the constant doom and gloom surrounding the ps3 whilst on the other hand some people in this thread are somehow conviniently trying to pretend these regions dont exist and the 360 is a sucess when its far from it.
i'm not trying to spin sony's numbers, they're not good, what baffles me is somehow the 360 is being left off the hook when in reality its actually worse than the ps3.
The main thing to remember:

Worldwide, MS has sold about 10.5 million 360s.

Worldwide, Sony has sold about 3.5 million PS3s.

There have been about 2 million more 360s sold in Europe/other than PS3s.

There have been about 5 million more 360s sold in North America than PS3s.

Really, the only place PS3 has done better than 360 is Japan, where it has sold about a million more than 360s.

That is the big difference. And 360 owners seem to buy much more software than PS3 owners. 360 is in a good spot. It already HAS a substantial userbase. Sony is the one who needs to make sure PS3s are sold so that software sales don't continue to reek so much.

And sure, 360 is doing horrible in Japan (no one is surprised by this), but it isn't as if PS3s are selling by the boastload over there themselves.

With the price drop, 360s will once again be outselling PS3 worldwide in August, and IMO, for the rest of the year.

HocusPocus said:
I wonder if the 360 will double the PS3 sales in August? Wouldn't doubt, and kind of what you expect when you drop the price.

I think it will, yeah. Price drop, BioShock, and Madden 08 (360 version heavily promoted).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Nintendo press release sucks. :(

DID YOU KNOW? NINTENDO MOMENTUM PAYS NO HEED TO INDUSTRY PRICING SHIFTS

Aug. 23, 2007

Wii™ emerged as the month’s best-selling video game system of any type in the United States and achieved its highest weekly sales rates since December, despite pricing shifts in the industry, according to the independent NPD Group and internal Nintendo figures. Wii and Nintendo DS™ remained the two best-selling video game systems in the United States, with Nintendo hardware outselling all other systems – combined.

But behind every great game platform are a lot of great games—and that’s certainly evident from Nintendo’s momentum:

* Nintendo remained the top U.S. game publisher for the sixth consecutive month.

* So far this year, Nintendo titles claim six of the industry’s top 10 best sellers, including the top three: Pokemon® Diamond (overall No. 1) and Pokemon® Pearl (No. 3) for Nintendo DS, and Wii Play™ (No. 2) for Wii.

* Nintendo DS, with more than 300 titles available, has the largest game library for any current generation system.

* Wii has added new titles (averaging nine per month since launch) at a faster rate than any other new home system.

* Including an ever-increasing library of classic titles available for download on the Wii Shop Channel, American owners of Nintendo DS and Wii will have a combined selection of nearly 800 games to choose from by year end.

* Nintendo expects momentum for both systems to continue, given the Aug. 20 launch of Brain Age™ 2: More Training in Minutes a Day for Nintendo DS and the upcoming Aug. 27 launch of the hugely anticipated Metroid® Prime 3: Corruption for Wii.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.nintendo.com

GarthVaderUK said:
I think it will, yeah. Price drop, BioShock, and Madden 08 (360 version heavily promoted).

I expect it to turn out this way for the rest of the gen. Sony kind of just catching up and then MS finding another way to jump up an entire flight of stairs.

mabuza said:

I doubt it's worse. I really doubt Ps3 is doing any better than the 360 (significant ammount) in europe.

And the tale here is...it's Pre price drop, pre Halo 3, PRe Fall. I would be a fool if i said that it didn't look like from here on till January, Ps3 is going to take a huge beating from everybody.

And since PS3 is behind, and isn't in a hurry to speed up things, just seems that Ps3 will never catch up. Seems

And obviously i was talking about the development side. For the HD era of consoles, Europe and U.S are going to be the main markets. Western games don't sell shit in japan.

Merovingian said:
I doubt it's worse. I really doubt Ps3 is doing any better than the 360 (significant ammount) in europe.

And the tale here is...it's Pre price drop, pre Halo 3, PRe Fall. I would be a fool if i said that it didn't look like from here on till January, Ps3 is going to take a huge beating from everybody.

And obviously i was talking about the development side. For the HD era of consoles, Europe and U.S are going to be the main markets.

The development side is where this is most dangerous. As we can see, developers have already read the Wii writing loud and clear and have started developing for it. PS3 having shown no such signs of confidence, which means 2008 multiplatforms will be looking just as grim for the PS3 as they do this year.

When your console is more expensive, "no discernable difference" is not what you want. At all.

mclem

Jon_Danger said:
I don't know why people are blowing up over sony.

It is a year behind, and it is still on track.

Also, the wii is a monster.

Unfortunately, the track in question is the one from the end of Back To The Future 3.

If they can just crank up to 288,000 sales/month reliably, then they'll should be able to get to a place where they can keep trundling along reasonably safely. If not, though...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
schuelma said:
Booooooring

Now Nintendo's PR just doesn't give a crap.
you can only be glib AND creative so many times in one year.. even PR folks need a break once in a while.

Maxwell House said:
Oh duh, I forgot that tomorrow is the 24th. I guess the 360s pricedrop across Europe tomorrow???

Prices dropped earlier in the week. Elite launches tomorrow though (along with BioShock and Blue Dragon).

schuelma said:
Booooooring

Now Nintendo's PR just doesn't give a crap.

Does the proclamation of a king to his subjects ever show much flourish? No need. One is not consorting with royalty, simply the rabble beyond the castle walls.

michaeld

Banned
We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games
icon_lol.gif
icon_bangtard.gif
icon_propeller.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
JudgeN said:

Because the 360 version of NCAA out sold the PS3+PS2 versions combined. It shows that some sports gamers have moved to next gen and have chose the 360.

JudgeN

I'm sure this needs to be said but people need to realize that dynasties eventually fall, the playstation brand had owned for 14 years now. It was time for it crumble but I'm going to think outside of the box and hope GAF can follow.

Sony will be in third but you can bet your ass Sony will make important contributions to gaming industry this generation. Sony has some very good concepts this generation in the works ie "Eye of Judgment, Home, LBP, Digital Distribution and etc". Now I'm not saying these are going to move PS3 cause I don't know but I have a feeling concepts like these will be used more heavily next generation and the generations to come. Personally thats all thats matters to me, is new concepts that will keep me into gaming.

Tobor

Holy crap did I pick a bad night to work late. Great thread guys.

Is there a Babelfish translator for Fortunateson's posts? I don't speak crazy.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
quest said:
Because the 360 version of NCAA out sold the PS3+PS2 versions combined. It shows that some sports gamers have moved to next gen and have chose the 360.
In other words, everyone that was going to buy an Xbox 360 for EA Sports games already has? :D

Speevy said:
Xbox 360 is the new Xbox.

PS3 is the new Gamecube.

It's official.

Xbox rocked. And 360 is rocking harder with all the support so. It's cool...all under control. (And i think it will do much better numbers, i think it will sell between 30 to 40 million this time around...i think at least)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Fuzzy said:
In other words, everyone that was going to buy an Xbox 360 for EA Sports games already has? :D

Madden sells substantially more than NCAA. There might be some movement of hardware because of Madden. 360 Madden is the first 'good' Madden for next-gen.

Top Bottom