• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

operon said:
We could make a gaf drinking game, Drink everytime you see gangbusters, batshit crazy or year of the ps3.:lol :lol

You'd be drunk on this page alone, and that's not counting my posts about the term.

Anyways, I figured it out thanks to Wikipedia. When someone says "Sells like Gangbusters" they are clearly referencing the amazing sales of this 1920's Role Playing Game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangbusters_(role-playing_game))

Haunted

Nintendo won't be happy with those sales.

They're still winning handily in both HW and SW, but that's not enough for them this gen - they're going to want to keep breaking records. New bundle/Black Wii/Price drop incoming.

amtentori said:
what about?

conduits second month?
TW10 wii second month?
GST second month?

prototype, red faction, infamous?
Flavour of the month syndrome strikes again!

Core game sales are extremely frontloaded, as usual.

Xeke

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh crap, Wii is in trouble, NSMB isn`t enough to kick start the console`s sales IMO.

Nintendo needs strong 3rd party support and soon. Maybe the promise of a strong 2010 3rd Party lineup might be enough to carry them but they really needed the support from last year. At this point, their games can only go so far.

It also still costs the same as it did over 2 1/2 years ago.

JKBii

Slick Vic said:
Nintendo has put themselves in a poor position by basically betting the farm that New Super Mario Bros. will magically boost the Wii back up. The fact that Wii Sports Resort had absolutely no impact implies that Wii Fit Plus will also fail to attract new buyers. As far as I know their big-name games for 2010 are all sequels to properties already established on Wii. So really, the only game they even have announced that seems likely to make an impact is NSMB Wii.

At one point it seemed like Wii could blow past PS2 worldwide. IMO this is looking less and less likely with the system losing steam in America (and Europe?) and having long-established poor sales in Japan. It's been interesting to watch Nintendo squander their momentum over the past year.

Again, the Wii Sports Resort sales represent the last week in July before the commercials started and the game was barely on shelves. Next months sales figures will give a better reflection of Wii Sports Resort's ability to move consoles

AceBandage said:
Ah yes, because similar games like God Hand on the PS2 sold gangbusters, right?

My point in all this is that developers shouldn't make third party Wii exclusives. It would be a better investment to make them multiplatform. A game like Little King's Story as a downloadable title on psn/xbl/wii ware would be better.

pgtl_10

Nintendo needs strong 3rd party support and soon. Maybe the promise of a strong 2010 3rd Party lineup might be enough to carry them but they really needed the support from last year. At this point, their games can only go so far.

If having 4 Wii games in the top ten means you're in trouble then Sony is on life support. MS isn't doing that well either.

ksamedi

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh crap, Wii is in trouble, NSMB isn`t enough to kick start the console`s sales IMO.

Their own games have kept them at above PS2 levels for 3 years now. I don't see why that would suddenly stop. The Wii is still very young. I think Nintendo can come up with some good stuff in the coming years.

Busaiku

MarkMan said:
BlazBlue did well for the amount of copies that were printed (I believe).

I don't have the exact number, but anyone who has access, can you please look it up?
They were leaked numbers, so I'm not sure if anyone should state it.
But you can look up the Japanese numbers, it's a couple thousand less than that.

It was certainly nothing compared to Street Fighter IV or Soul Calibur IV.
I'm not sure how Guilty Gear has done, but I can't imagine it to be too far from it (on the high or low end).

operon

With the slack software sales and high production costs, the way to go is multiplatform unless you can get a nice moneyhat.

operon said:
We could make a gaf drinking game, Drink everytime you see gangbusters, batshit crazy or year of the ps3.:lol :lol

You're batshit crazy if you don't think the sony will sell gangbusters next year, making it the year of the ps3.

LCfiner

Numbers so bland, I nearly want to quote my own avatar.

thankfully, mama robotnik makes the entire NPD month worthwhile with his genius.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
My point in all this is that developers shouldn't make third party Wii exclusives. It would be a better investment to make them multiplatform. A game like Little King's Story as a downloadable title on psn/xbl/wii ware would be better.

So, you're point is that, because games that wouldn't sell well on any console didn't sell well on the Wii, that no company should even bother?
You should go and get Patcher's job. You'd fit right in.

JKBii said:
Again, the Wii Sports Resort sales represent the last week in July before the commercials started and the game was barely on shelves. Next months sales figures will give a better reflection of Wii Sports Resort's ability to move consoles

In the shareholder briefing, Iwata said viral system sellers have historically taken about 8 weeks before they start pushing hardware. If WSR has that capability, it might take a while to show up. We may not even be able to separate it from the impact of NSMB, assuming sales turn around at all.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
All multiplatform titles.
I don't see what this has to do with the Wii's ability to sell games.

In fact, that those games were able to sell on Wii in spite of multiplatform versions existing (thus creating more competition for the Wii versions) would actually suggest that the Wii is better at selling games.

elrechazao said:
You're batshit crazy if you don't think the sony will sell gangbusters next year, making it the year of the ps3.

IMO the fact Nintendo won't drop the price of the Wii is batshit crazy. Don't they know it will sell gangbusters?

And by gangbusters, I mean sexual advances.

Year of the PS3.

dani_dc

I don't see how Marevelous, or anyone really, expected LKS to sell 120K, most people here on gaf in the LKS thread were reporting that no stores besides Gamestop were even carrying the game.
It's a bit hard to sell a game when it's barely even being sold anywhere.

AceBandage said:
So, you're point is that, because games that wouldn't sell well on any console didn't sell well on the Wii, that no company should even bother?
You should go and get Patcher's job. You'd fit right in.

All 3rd party games should be multiplatform. How is that hard to understand.

DogWelder

MarkMan said:
BlazBlue did well for the amount of copies that were printed (I believe).

I don't have the exact number, but anyone who has access, can you please look it up?
60k combined last month.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
All 3rd party games should be multiplatform. How is that hard to understand.

Ah, so you're saying that the PS3 and 360 can't sell games either, and that they need the Wii's boost to get them to respectable numbers.
Gotcha.

billy.sea

Banned
There is a seriously lack of exclusive titles coming this fall among the HD system, PS3 has Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank, 360 has ODST and Forza 3. It's going to be all price war of hardware this fall.

soldat7

beje said:
Numbers this month have been pretty much predictable, though Mario Kart DS poking its nose there 4 years after release is really surprising, that's why nintendo don't want to drop game prices.

Or make a new one. Even my kids are bored of the current Mario Kart offerings.

NPD-DSi.gif

Lousy month. NSMB Wii better be damn good.

Meier

Shig said:
I think it's important to note that Battlefield 1943 would have placed high on the software list, if not at the very top, if digital distribution games were counted. This has pretty humongous implications for developers' stances towards XBLA and PSN in the future.
It would have had to sell 4x as many units as NCAA to 'outsell' it though.

stupei

meme said:
Because portables =/= consoles?
See MH3 Media Create threads for similar situation.
It will do well, but I don't think it will be a tide turner.

Monster Hunter is a franchise that blew up more on the portables than ever before, unless I'm mistaken. Mario is a franchise whose bedrock foundations are on the console. It's hardly a valid comparison.

ksamedi said:
Their own games have kept them at above PS2 levels for 3 years now. I don't see why that would suddenly stop. The Wii is still very young. I think Nintendo can come up with some good stuff in the coming years.

Because their 2009 Wii lineup consists entirely of GCN ports, sequels of games that only appeal to the current Wii audience and a 2D Mario (This is their only game that could revitalise the console`s sales)

Nintendo`s next wave of games will simply come too late, Nintendo can`t keep the console going by themselves anymore, they need proper 3rd Party support to fill in the gaps (Like with the DS) and soon!

I reckon a promise of a good solid 360 calibur 2010 3rd Party lineup would be enough to keep the Wii afloat until they are ready.

Wii`s momentum is dropping much faster than I expected and NSMB isn`t enough to keep console sales going.

All eyes on TGS and Nintendo`s October conference!

Hey Stoney, I've been meaning to ask you;

as the other person on this board that seems to be focused on the PS3s YoY decline, which will break it first? GT5 or Price Drop?

evilromero said:
I was thinking this too. What the hell spurred those sales?

NSMB is the game that every (adjusted by some arbitrary percentage) new DS owner buys, because it's freaking (New) Super Mario Bros.

stupei said:
Monster Hunter is a franchise that blew up more on the portables than ever before, unless I'm mistaken. Mario is a franchise whose bedrock foundations are on the console. It's hardly a valid comparison.

NSMBWii seems to be the main discussion of the thread now I guess.

I don't think it's safe to make any assumptions about NSMBWii.

Since when does portable success guarantee Console success? I don't think we have any firm examples of that happening. In fact, I can think of firm examples to the contrary (Monster Hunter, Pokemon).

Someone will say Mario Kart Wii - Mario Kart DS... I'm not convinced Kart Wii built it's success off the Kart DS fans. Kart is a different beast.

Anyways, the post I quoted, Mario did build his foundations in console, but that's irrelevant to this discussion. Look at Galaxy, (which didn't sell bad, but is no NSMB ). If I had to make a prediction, I'd say NSMBWii is a sales success no doubt, but I don't see it as a game that will be in the top 10 for 3 years like it's DS cousin. And I really, really don't see it as a system seller.

Arpharmd B said:
NSMBWii seems to be the main discussion of the thread now I guess.

I don't think it's safe to make any assumptions about NSMBWii.

Since when does portable success guarantee Console success? I don't think we have any firm examples of that happening. In fact, I can think of firm examples to the contrary (Monster Hunter, Pokemon).

Someone will say Mario Kart Wii - Mario Kart DS... I'm not convinced Kart Wii built it's success off the Kart DS fans. Kart is a different beast.

Anyways, the post I quoted, Mario did build his foundations in console, but that's irrelevant to this discussion. Look at Galaxy, (which didn't sell bad, but is no NSMB ).

What are you basing this on?

If you want people to buy your argument, a good first step is to buttress your opinion with evidence or examples. Not "just cuz".

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
So that's why the new EA Sports Active game is coming out in the fall. I guess not everyone can be evergreen.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Holy shit, about everything tanked in July. Don't see how any console fanboy can gloat about this one. I think August will be a bit better. You have madden coming out and the economy is starting to recover a bit.

matmanx1

billy.sea said:
There is a seriously lack of exclusive titles coming this fall among the HD system, PS3 has Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank, 360 has ODST and Forza 3. It's going to be all price war of hardware this fall.

You completely missed Demon's Souls on that list. Frickin' DEMON'S SOULS man! I know it isnt going to set the NPD on fire but it IS a quality exclusive.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Meier (re: BF1943) said:
It would have had to sell 4x as many units as NCAA to 'outsell' it though.
Profit starts when the budget is recouped, and from all accounts I've heard 1943 was made on a pretty conservative budget. BF1943 has 6 character models with a pretty threadbare arsenal of animations, and 4 maps. NCAA has dozens (hundreds?) of character models with a wide variety of animations and complicated context-sensistive interactions with one another, and a large number of unique arenas. Plus printing and shipping a physical product doesn't come free. Oh, and don't forget there's licensing fees for using the NCAA name, also.

Really though, all the proof you need is that EA sent out a press release touting BF1943 as a colossal success that went above and beyond their wildest expectations. No such press release has gone out for NCAA.

Arpharmd B said:
The new Monster Hunter has outsold every previous console entry to date in its first nine days and has a reasonable chance of working its way toward 1 million sold in Japan. I dare say this is a case of handheld success translating to console success*.

There has never been a "proper" console Pokemon, so the sales of any spinoffs have been on the back of only the extremest of the extreme pokemaniacs.

* The current generation is such that console success and portable success are on different magnitudes and follow different usage patterns. Portable titles, for instance, are nowhere near as front-loaded as console titles and don't necessarily come flying out of the gate.

JordanLMiller said:
I'm actually feeling pretty bad for Sony. Something has got to give sooner or later...
Seriously, why feel bad? (Perhaps you're not personally invested and simply mean they are sort of pitiful right now.) They've made every decision that has led them to this point. It's not too different when MS screwed up last gen with their agreements with nvidia and Intel that led to their eventual early kill on the original XBOX. Or when Sega fucked up so many times with 32X, Saturn, and that helped to kill off DC even if it had so much going for it. These big corporations come into the market to make billions off of us and they can also lose 'em. Survival of the fittest 'n all that. Really sucks if people lose jobs, but that's happening all around by the hundreds of thousands (if not more) and not just in the game industry.

If you want things to get better in this industry, you don't want to reward the lesser of all choices. And from console history, that scale isn't weighed with simple theoretical numbers, raw specs, and technological features...or vast amounts of money or a past filled with previous successes and brand name worth. The market is fickle, but not necessarily unfair. And all of these competitors know this well before they enter. How can they not know this when the price of entry is millions and billions? No, I don't even feel the least bit bad about their current predicament...no one should...they helped to create it. Besides, maybe Sony can smarten up and slip out of total destruction in time to salvage their platform and carve out a nice and long-lasting niche.

TunaLover

Good news, if Wii sales means a shake up for NoA. NCL needs launch more games over here, the Wii____ fever isn´t working anymore. Maybe they start to care about the US market in the same way as Europe.

DeaconKnowledge said:
What are you basing this on?

If you want people to buy your argument, a good first step is to buttress your opinion with evidence or examples. Not "just cuz".

You're right I need to explain.

The reason I don't agree with that, I just don't draw that comparison, think Kart is a different beast... In my eyes Kart on Wii would be monsterous whether or not Kart DS existed. It's a totally new experience with the Wii Wheel, it is fun and people love it... whatever the group of reasons were for it's success, I don't think Kart DS has anything to do with it.

Now, that's my opinion, but if someone brings it up to say "hey, big handheld game success = big console success, look at X"... I'm not sold on it, because even if they are right, it's moot anyway because there are examples to the contrary.

That's why I say, you cannot make any assumptions about the success of NSMBWii. Forget past Mario games, even going back to the Nintendo days. That's another association I don't like. Most of the kids who buy NSMB with their DS have never played a 2d Mario in their lives. You can't bank on the success of a 2d Mario on console just because decade old games that are no longer relevant sold "Gangbusters". New Super Mario Bros is not Super Mario 4. It is an entirely new game series. It's success is on it's own merits, has nothing to do with past Mario success. This whole "2d Mario is 2d Mario they all sell great" argument just doesn't cut it.

onipex

Angry_Gorilla said:
:lol

Are you kidding me?

That's frickin fantastic

Laugh all you want but the theory is sound. :D

People who think that Nintendo are going to do a price drop are not paying attention. Iwata has said many times that they are not blaming price or the recession but the low sales. They put the blame squarely on software.

Nintendo thinks that WRS will cause Wii sales to go up if the game had good legs for more than 6 to 8 weeks I think. They are not expecting a boast this month . They hope that WiiFit + and NSMB would have the same effect and thus make Wii sales go higher.

Top Bottom