• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Well it's obviously because of the initial outlay being considerably more, it's hard to convey to general consumers that spending more on the PS3 will 'most likely' save you money in the long run, that and I think MS have done a great job of advertising this time around, the thing is MS are selling live, Sony are selling a console.

Or maybe people don`t care about the extra they pay with Xbox and just want it more.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nirolak said:
So apparently Sony sent this chart out with their press release:

2cfsi1z.jpg

I think this is getting to the point of self parody.

Should that be HDMI Output with cables sold seperatly for both the 360 and PS3?

Nirolak said:

2cfsi1z.jpg

Actually that chart makes sense to me also and are a few reasons why I bought a PS3. Add in reliability but I guess Sony didn't want to put in a low blow like that.

Still, it doesn't excuse $399 at this point.

edit: And it comes off as a little desperate posting that in response to low sales numbers.

eznark

Banned
Not as big a drop for NCAA as I would have expected. I wonder if the solid PS3 sales this year made it outsell 09?

Dragon

Banned
imail said:
I totally agree with you. I think those who have been waiting games like GoW and GT5 have bought the PS3 when MGS4 came out or bought a 360 when Forza 2 came out.
I don't think GT5 or GoW 3 will make that much of a difference.

:lol :lol
You can add MAG , GoW 3 , PS3 price drop , Uncharted 2 , FFXIII, Last Guardian and the PS3 dildo to the second board. You need a new board now.:lol :lol

Well, isn't the PS3 being a super multimedia device a more reason for the PS3 to sell more than the other inferior consoles. Are they trying to make things worse by giving such absurd excuse ??

Oh juniors....

I wonder if Metroid Prime Trilogy will make the top 10 next month...

I wonder if Nintendo will make any effort to actually market it...

DMeisterJ

Banned
markatisu said:
Wow so it did not have a much of a drop from launch month. SEGA did say it was selling at a steady level this week so that should not be too shocking.

Game has a release near the end of the period of two weeks and manages to hold onto a portion of the sales for the next period of double the amount of time? Not a huge deal. Recent games this has happened to are inFAMOUS and Killzone 2 which both had stunted launch weeks and managed to keep onto the sales for the longer period.

It doesn't really mean anything til the next month when it will eventually go down.

TheBranca18 said:
Oh juniors....

A lazy poster would have gone with the easy route, refuting the post with something pithy or witty, but you took the hard way out with the deep insight. Well done indeed.

Sleeker

NPD is boring!

1 year ago i used to open the thread with my heartbeat elevated and would spend more than an hour reading

everything is so predictable now

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
scitek said:
Does that 60-70k put The Conduit in the top 20 for the month?

not likely. it barely made top 25 last month with slightly higher sales numbers.

then again, not as much came out this month, so who knows.

Nirolak said:

2cfsi1z.jpg

They're almost mocking themselves now....that's just ridiculous. You know it's bad when you have to reference the other consoles. I mean Nintendo never even mentions Sony or Microsoft....why bother. This is just another example of how bad of a job Sony did on communicating the value of their system and educating consumers

Tiktaalik

markatisu said:
So the NPD thread will get interesting again with either September or Octobers NPD numbers

Well NPD is always interesting around that time. I don't expect a crossing of the streams though. I think the Wii has a lot of compelling software around that time and I don't see any reason why sales for that console wouldn't increase enough to stay ahead of the 360.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Raist said:
So basically it sold between 20 and 30k in Europe in 2 months. BOMBA!

I think that exec discussed shipments in America, not worldwide shipments. so we still don't have more than a vague idea of how it sold in Europe.

Vyer

lowrider007 said:
Want more what ?, console replacements ?

that difficult, huh?

In any case, Sony shot their chances at convincing the general public of their 'value' image when they launched at 500 and 600 bucks.

markatisu

Danthrax said:
I think that exec discussed shipments in America, not worldwide shipments. so we still don't have more than a vague idea of how it sold in Europe.

~20-30k in the EU would probably be on the high side since the game barely debuted in the Top 30 overall and then about midway on the Wii Top 10

Raist

Banned
Danthrax said:

Really? I thought it was shipments/sales-through worldwide. SO yeah then deducing July sales was quite easy.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Vyer said:
that difficult, huh?

In any case, Sony shot their chances at convincing the general public of their 'value' image when they launched at 500 and 600 bucks.

I wouldn't be so sure, what with a price cut looming and the potential that MS could drop the pro sku things could get very interesting, especially with the PS3 slim release, I see this as Sony's second chance to try and get things right.

operon said:
http://www.vg247.com/ has sonys pr on the numbers...

Sony’s responded to tonight’s NPD figures by saying PS3 is “just getting warmed up” and pointing out differences between its console, 360 Arcade and Wii.
“When you compare all the features against other industry offerings, there is no doubt that the PlayStation 3 provides the most complete entertainment system on the market today – right out of the box,” said the firm in a statement.
“Not only are consumers provided a best-in-class Blu-ray player that comes with 80 GB of storage for photos and music, built-in Wi Fi, and thousands of innovative games that appeal to hardcore gamers and families alike, the PS3 offers future-proof technology and free access to rich and ever-evolving PlayStation Network content and services.”
A handy chart was provided to point all this out.

Strange no mention of numbers

I swear that if I read this in an NPD thread in 2007 I wouldn't think twice about it. They have been beating the same drum for years and looking at sales numbers doesn't look like it's working to convey the "value" of the system outside of a few frantic fanboys.

Vyer said:

That's because they think "value" means all that extra shit when what it means to consumers are the games and the price you've paid when you walk out of the store.

When your competition has better "value" on the issues that actually matter to actual consumers and you have 90% of the same lineup of games it's not exactly a brain teaser why Sony keeps losing that argument.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Raist said:
Really? I thought it was shipments/sales-through worldwide. SO yeah then deducing July sales was quite easy.

well the quote didn't really specify:

Mike Hayes said:
Hayes: We actually regard The Conduit as a success. We shipped 300,000 units, sold through half of those and now it’s at the point where it’s selling consistently at a time when Wii sales are generally depressed in the marketplace. So what does that tell you? We still kind of don’t know.

But Hayes is the COO of Sega of Europe, so maybe he was talking about shipments to both NA and Europe.

If he was, then 150,000 have been sold between the two, give-or-take. Let's generalize that "between 60k and 70k" means 65,000 and add that to last month's 72,000 and we have 137,000. So TCon sold about 13,000 in Europe in its debut month.

...which, yeah, is a bomb in Europe. But not in America! =P

IsntChrisL said:
I wonder if Metroid Prime Trilogy will make the top 10 next month...

I wonder if Nintendo will make any effort to actually market it...

Nintendo Europe is offering 5000 free copies of Metroid NES to people who have registered at least one of the original MP and their new copy of MPC. Thats something.

- I think Nintendo should be launching NSMBW earlier than November.

Vyer

lowrider007 said:
I wouldn't be so sure, what with a price cut looming and the potential that MS could drop the pro sku things could get very interesting, especially with the PS3 slim release ,I see this as Sony's second chance to try and get things right.

what exactly is going to happen that defines 'get things right'?

And no, the PS3 will never be associated as the bargain console, price cuts or no. Not as long as it costs more than the 360, or until blu ray is completely mainstream and the majority. Unfair? Probably. But like I said, it's the bed Sony made when they went the way they did at launch.

The price cuts will be seen as exactly what they are: price cuts to a console that was too expensive. But I do agree with you that they are definitely going to help.

EDIT:
or
Stoney Mason said:
That's because they think "value" means all that extra shit when what it means to consumers are the games and the price you've paid when you walk out of the store.

When your competition has better "value" on the issues that actually matter to actual consumers and you have 90% of the same lineup of games it's not exactly a brain teaser why Sony keeps losing that argument.

pretty much this.

PARANO1A

Someone should do an equally ridiculous MS and Wii chart to compare to the Sony one.

Suggested columns could be:

Halo titles:
PS3: 0
360: 2 (1 pending)
Wii: 0

Live support
PS3: No
360: Yes
Wii: No

In-game avatars
Wii: Yes

White console

Still it must be tough being in Sony PR right now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why would they release that chart in a press release? Are they trying to reach out to the demographic who read the press releases of electronic corporations?

Divvy said:
Why would they release that chart in a press release? Are they trying to reach out to the demographic who read the press releases of electronic corporations?

what else do they have to say at this point?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Vyer said:
what exactly is going to happen that defines 'get things right'?

Pricing the console competitively, if MS drop the pro there is no doubt in my mind that consumers will start to see the benefits of having the PS3 over the 360 in terms of value for money, and advertising the system correctly, in my eyes Sony should be treating this almost as if this was a new console launch, try and rejuvenate the Playstation franchise and drum home to people that this is a new PS3 at a competitive price offering ______ extras over it's competitors, and try to sell PSN more than just the console, but mainly advertising, Sony had some fantastic add campaigns during the life of the PS2, where are they now ?

iammeiam

Nirolak said:
2cfsi1z.jpg

So they're now comparing the $199 Arcade 360 to their $399 SKU? Was there a blank space on the press release that nobody noticed until five minutes before it was e-mailed out?

spwolf

PARANO1A said:
Someone should do an equally ridiculous MS and Wii chart to compare to the Sony one.

Suggested columns could be:

Halo titles:
PS3: 0
360: 2 (1 pending)
Wii: 0

Live support
Wii: No

In-game avatars

White console

Still it must be tough being in Sony PR right now.

yeah, hard drive and wireless and free online = in-game avatars.

I love your thinking, thumbs up.

I think Sony's PR is just another proof that they are not moving from $399 price!

lol

jtb

Banned
I might be late to this... but HOLY FUCK at Fight Night Round 4 completley bombing (it came out in July right?)

I thought people were saying this was going to have similar sales to UFC, though that might have just been me.

Loudninja

the walrus said:
I might be late to this... but HOLY FUCK at Fight Night Round 4 completley bombing (it came out in July right?)

I thought people were saying this was going to have similar sales to UFC, though that might have just been me.

What are you talking about?it charted pretty last month.

Top Bottom