• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So apparently Sony sent this chart out with their press release:

2cfsi1z.jpg

I think this is getting to the point of self parody.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not even a Mama Robotnik gif can save the NPDs this month.

I would like to point out, for the second straight month, the big winner of the NPDs:

peter-moore-1.jpg

Its about time for a drop in Wii sales numbers. This sudden drop might shake Nintendo up a bit so that we can get some real deals, and even better games. It still sucks that third parties aren't going to release anything major until its too late so that they can then call the Wii a failure. It seems like everyone is headed towards troubled times since no can co-operate with each other. Its gonna be a sad state of affairs until 2010...

NPD results sucking also means worst npd thread in ages. Refresh should equal new page every 5 minutes...wtf is going on ?

I miss the days of meltdowns and massive battles and list wars.

elrechazao said:
Still time enough for all of that. This month sucks because the numbers are relatively unremarkable if you've been following closely for the last few months and because it's making it clear that the entire industry is hurting from the inescapable reach of the recession. It's a total fucking bummer, man.

Wow, underwhelming numbers overall. Still, it would seem that the 360 finally has a real shot to finally jump over the gap that separates it from the Wii.

<3 Mama Robotnik.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Hey Stoney, I've been meaning to ask you;

as the other person on this board that seems to be focused on the PS3s YoY decline, which will break it first? GT5 or Price Drop?

Price Drop. The system has always been too damn expensive from day one. We all know it. Anything to get it to a mass market price works better than any salvation game.

GT 5 will be a big hit but I think we are beyond the point any one game is a game changer for the NA market at this stage in the race. In that sense I agree with PS3 people who say "wait for price drop". I probably disagree with them on the amount of impact it will have though.

For what its worth the reason I focus on PS3 yoy drop is that its the console that theoretically needs to be gaining ground rather than losing ground for all these official PS3 projection to come true.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The new Monster Hunter has outsold every previous console entry to date in its first nine days and has a reasonable chance of working its way toward 1 million sold in Japan. I dare say this is a case of handheld success translating to console success*.

There has never been a "proper" console Pokemon, so the sales of any spinoffs have been on the back of only the extremest of the extreme pokemaniacs.

* The current generation is such that console success and portable success are on different magnitudes and follow different usage patterns. Portable titles, for instance, are nowhere near as front-loaded as console titles and don't necessarily come flying out of the gate.

Dude awesome points and I agree with you 100%. You should read over my previous posts, never did I say New Mario wasn't going to be a success on Wii. I know it will be. Now is it going to be huuuuge, boosting Wii Hardware and selling as much as the DS version like everyone seems to think here? I'm not convinced, and that's what my posts were about.

meme

Banned
stupei said:
Monster Hunter is a franchise that blew up more on the portables than ever before, unless I'm mistaken. Mario is a franchise whose bedrock foundations are on the console. It's hardly a valid comparison.

Well, I, myself, think that NSMBWii will do very good, as I stated before. The problem is that people are drawning conclusions based on 15 years old data. The fact that 2d mario games on portables sell very good doesn't mean a console version will do the same, and the fact that 2d Mario used to sell very well 15 years ago, doen't mean a 2d Mario game will do very good nowadays. For example, do you think a considerable number of people gave up on buying Super Mario Galaxy just because it was a 3d game? I can think of 2 kind of costumers, the die-hard Mario fans, that will buy any main Mario game, being it a 2d or 3d one, and the "casual" Mario gamer, the ones that recognizes the character, and don't give a damn about the game being 2d or 3d, they just want a Mario game. Of course there are people that won't play a 3d Mario game even if they were being forced to, but that's a vast minority. That said, I think it will do ~SMG numbers, wich are very good.
Sorry, English isn't my main language and I'm sure I made some mistakes in my text :T

Barrett2

elrechazao said:
NPD results sucking also means worst npd thread in ages. Refresh should equal new page every 5 minutes...wtf is going on ?

God damn Mario leg humpers thinking stupid NSMB will sell Jack shit!!! lol-Station is a damn joke, Uncharted needs to sell 900K month one or I am trading mine for a Gizmondo!! How many copies did Madworld sell, like 5? God, what a joke, put that shit on a real console!!!

Game2Death said:
Maybe everyone is maturing and friends now?

I doubt it.

Reality finally set in after seeing the same results again and again month after month. Also some of the more agenda driven fanboy-ish posters have been banned (Despite popping up again in the form of new junior accounts.)

Let the 360 get any closer to the Wii or the PS3 get any closer to the 360 and it will all ignite again.

Tiktaalik

Stoney Mason said:
I doubt it.

Reality finally set in after seeing the same results again and again month after month. Also some of the more agenda driven fanboy-ish posters have been banned (Despite popping up again in the form of new junior accounts.)

Lets the 360 get any closer to the Wii or the PS3 get any closer to the 360 and it will all ignite again.

Indeed. God help us if the 360 crosses the Wii. Now that will be a thread.

soldat7

elrechazao said:
Guano causes various neurological conditions. Guano = batshit. hence, batshit crazy.

You turd. I actually sat there pondering this for a good while before I scrolled down. ;)

kame-sennin said:
On an unrelated note, the notion that NSMB Wii could undersell Galaxy is laughable.

And tragic.

scitek

I'd guess The Conduit did around 28k for the second month. That interview posted yesterday confirmed it had sold around 100k in the US, and we know 72k of that was in June's NPD, so..

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
elrechazao said:

Nirolak said:

2cfsi1z.jpg

That chart makes perfect sense to me, I want blu-ray, I want wireless, I want a large HDD at an affordable price, I want free on-line gaming, I want a quiet system, I want reliability.......the list goes on, PS3 is worth every penny even at it's current price point and will ultimately save you money in the long run compared to the competition.

There you go, cry more xbots ;-P

meme said:
Well, I, myself, think that NSMBWii will do very good, as I stated before. The problem is that people are drawning conclusions based on 15 years old data. The fact that 2d mario games on portables sell very good doesn't mean a console version will do the same, and the fact that 2d Mario used to sell very well 15 years ago, doen't mean a 2d Mario game will do very good nowadays. For example, do you think a considerable number of people gave up on buying Super Mario Galaxy just because it was a 3d game? I can think of 2 kind of costumers, the die-hard Mario fans, that will buy any main Mario game, being it a 2d or 3d one, and the "casual" Mario gamer, the ones that recognizes the character, and don't give a damn about the game being 2d or 3d, they just want a Mario game. Of course there are people that won't play a 3d Mario game even if they were being forced to, but that's a vast minority. That said, I think it will do ~SMG numbers, wich are very good.
Sorry, English isn't my main language and I'm sure I made some mistakes in my text :T

Exactly my point.

People brought up the game in the first place saying that it was going to kick start the Wii out of it's sales slump. That's why the game is being discussed at all. To which, I was like, I don't think it's going to be that kind of success. People took that as though I said the game was going to bomb or something.

imail

lawblob said:
Im' sorry, but the idea that there are millions of people sitting on their thumbs the last three years just waiting to until GOW3 and GT5 to come out is just ludicrous. One key reason Sony long ago lost this generation is because while it was sputtering out of the gate, all of those would-be buyers bought 360s instead. How many people are honestly waiting years and years to buy a system just because of GT5 or GOW3?

I totally agree with you. I think those who have been waiting games like GoW and GT5 have bought the PS3 when MGS4 came out or bought a 360 when Forza 2 came out.
I don't think GT5 or GoW 3 will make that much of a difference.

Zhuk said:
:lol :lol
You can add MAG , GoW 3 , PS3 price drop , Uncharted 2 , FFXIII, Last Guardian and the PS3 dildo to the second board. You need a new board now.:lol :lol

operon said:
http://www.vg247.com/ has sonys pr on the numbers...

Sony’s responded to tonight’s NPD figures by saying PS3 is “just getting warmed up” and pointing out differences between its console, 360 Arcade and Wii.
“When you compare all the features against other industry offerings, there is no doubt that the PlayStation 3 provides the most complete entertainment system on the market today – right out of the box,” said the firm in a statement.
“Not only are consumers provided a best-in-class Blu-ray player that comes with 80 GB of storage for photos and music, built-in Wi Fi, and thousands of innovative games that appeal to hardcore gamers and families alike, the PS3 offers future-proof technology and free access to rich and ever-evolving PlayStation Network content and services.”
A handy chart was provided to point all this out.

Strange no mention of numbers

Well, isn't the PS3 being a super multimedia device a more reason for the PS3 to sell more than the other inferior consoles. Are they trying to make things worse by giving such absurd excuse ??

So I know sales-age threads aren't the good old times of yesteryear anymore. Would a Wii-PS3-360 stream cross next month cause meltdowns next month if it were to happen? Or would people still be all non chalaunt about it next month like "eh, we saw this comin" "wait for NSMB".

Game2Death said:
Maybe everyone is maturing and friends now?

Maturing? The only thing I see in this thread is smug gloating, lame jokes accompanied with many :lol s, Savior of the PS3 charts, and the like. Don't see any "Uncharted 2 is going to save the PS3!", or "year of the PS3 next year!"

markatisu said:
So the NPD thread will get interesting again with either September or Octobers NPD numbers

I'd say Elite drop to 299 and whatever clearence sale they have on 60gb, it could very well happen this month.

If Sony drops they could both do it.

Banned
lowrider007 said:
That chart makes perfect sense to me, I want blu-ray, I want wireless, I want a large HDD at an affordable price, I want free on-line gaming, I want a quiet system, I want reliability.......the list goes on, PS3 is worth every penny even at it's current price point and will ultimately save you money in the long run compared to the competition.

There you go, cry more xbots ;-P

I know in the long run the PS3 is the cheapest system. Weird how it is cheaper than the 360 but still getting outsold.

NRiQ

Banned
Nirolak said:

2cfsi1z.jpg

Actually it's very funny, because PS3 provides the most complete experience on the market right out of the box and they still don't sell the most :lol :lol :lol :lol

Narcosis

Wow, the hardware numbers all across the board suck, except maybe the passable mediocrity of the 360 sales and the good DS numbers.

[EDIT]I don't think there's any way at this point Sony and Nintendo are hitting their forecast numbers this year. maybe if Nintendo has a huge upswing holiday season, but I don't think they'll reach the mark, and the PS3 is too far behind for the Slim to help them hit, what was it, 13 mil?

BTW, maybe I missed out on something, but I don't get the Obama reference on the PS3 saviour chalkboard

kestrel73

Neo Member
For those interested:

USA YTD sales (according to NPD)

Wii - 3,267,700
360 - 1,823,500
PS3 - 1,241,500

Japan YTD sales (according to mediacreate)

Wii - 809,440
PS3 - 637,619
360 - 248,576

USA + Japan YTD sales

Wii - 4,077,140
360 - 2,072,076
PS3 - 1,879,119

Latest fact that shows that Sony needs a price drop: The 360 has outsold the PS3 in the USA by almost as much as the PS3 has sold TOTAL in Japan.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Karma said:
I know in the long run the PS3 is the cheapest system. Weird how it is cheaper than the 360 but still getting outsold.

Well it's obviously because of the initial outlay being considerably more, it's hard to convey to general consumers that spending more on the PS3 will 'most likely' save you money in the long run, that and I think MS have done a great job of advertising this time around, the thing is MS are selling live, Sony are selling a console.

mujun said:
Of course it does, you are unashamedly and obviously a Sony super fan.

ahhhh good to see the thread back on track :lol

The-Warning said:
Maturing? The only thing I see in this thread is smug gloating, lame jokes accompanied with many :lol s, Savior of the PS3 charts, and the like. Don't see any "Uncharted 2 is going to save the PS3!", or "year of the PS3 next year!"
But there's no arguing! Jokes and sarcasm are a step. A small one but hey! Baby steps...be positive people! :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AniHawk said:
between 60k and 70k.

wow, awesome. so when that Sega exec said they shipped 300,000 copies and sold half of that already, he meant in America alone.

looks like it's not a bomb, sorry guys. 150k in five weeks does not suck.

Top Bottom