• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

OldJadedGamer said:
I swear that if I read this in an NPD thread in 2007 I wouldn't think twice about it. They have been beating the same drum for years and looking at sales numbers doesn't look like it's working to convey the "value" of the system outside of a few frantic fanboys.

That's a little silly. They sold 22 million+ PS3s. They're all frantic fanboys? lol. I know what you meant though..

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
the walrus said:
I might be late to this... but HOLY FUCK at Fight Night Round 4 completley bombing (it came out in July right?)

I thought people were saying this was going to have similar sales to UFC, though that might have just been me.

it came out last month and sold:

360 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 260k
PS3 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 210k

the fact that the 360 version still made top 10 with over 110k is pretty decent, actually.

Sipowicz

Banned
who the fuck buys the conduit instead of little king story?

i would rather punch myself in the dick then play the conduit

soldat7

lowrider007 said:
Pricing the console competitively, if MS drop the pro there is no doubt in my mind that consumers will start to see the benefits of having the PS3 over the 360 in terms of value for money, and advertising the system correctly, in my eyes Sony should be treating this almost as if this was a new console launch, try and rejuvenate the Playstation franchise and drum home to people that this is a new PS3 at a competitive price offering ______ extras over it's competitors, and try to sell PSN more than just the console, but mainly advertising, Sony had some fantastic add campaigns during the life of the PS2.

Sure the PS3 could use a 'reboot', heck, the whole 'Playstation' brand could use a reboot, but at the end of the day, can Sony win back mind-share? It's pretty doubtful at this point. Maybe in a generation or two if they're still in the hardware business.

Sean

Banned
Nirolak said:
So apparently Sony sent this chart out with their press release:

2cfsi1z.jpg

I think this is getting to the point of self parody.

:lol at the "interoperability with PSP" part.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Wizman23 said:
Its been a rough 10 months for you huh? Hate to say this but its only going to get worse:lol

Perhaps in hindsight I shouldn't of made that comment, stating the obvious was silly of me.

iammeiam said:
So they're now comparing the $199 Arcade 360 to their $399 SKU? Was there a blank space on the press release that nobody noticed until five minutes before it was e-mailed out?

Cue scene in store.

Mother walks into Walmart and sees that "value chart" posted somewhere and asks the clerk how much is the PS3. "$399.99 M'am!'

And how much is that machine over there. "$199.99 M'am!"

But they both play Madden Football, or Call of Duty, or Need for Speed she asks which is what my son told me he wanted right? "Yes, m'am!"

I'll take the $199 one.

This far more represents the actual consumer than the "value chart". Microsoft might as well just print this post as a response to the NPD because it has just as much relevance as the sony chart.

I only recall three companies pushing the value chart thing so much in the past. SNK with the Neo Geo vs the Genesis and SNES, Atari with the Jaguar, and SEGA in the late days of the Saturn.

So that's some good company they're keeping there.

Cruzader

Banned
PARANO1A said:
Someone should do an equally ridiculous MS and Wii chart to compare to the Sony one.

Suggested columns could be:

Halo titles:
PS3: 0
360: 2 (1 pending)
Wii: 0

Live support
PS3: No
360: Yes
Wii: No

In-game avatars
Wii: Yes

White console

Still it must be tough being in Sony PR right now.

How is that chart ridiculous? Its pointing facts(even so when its $300), but its silly in the fact they are using it to spin bad monthly sales. Nothing in Sony's power can change their yoy decrease in sales.

PARANO1A said:
Someone should do an equally ridiculous MS and Wii chart to compare to the Sony one.

Halo titles:

Live support

In-game avatars

White console

Greatest game in the world(s):

360: 0
Wii: 1 (1 pending)

It's Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2

lowrider007 said:
I thought the Pro was the the most popular sku ?, although I understand what your getting at.

I'd like to see the breakdown in the last 3 months of the year. Pure speculation but I bet it rises a huge amount during the time when most of the actual consoles are sold for the year relative to the other months.

lowrider007 said:
I thought the Pro was the the most popular sku ?, although I understand what your getting at.

Uh, it was Sony's chart lists the Arcade as the comparison to the PS3. Direct you displeasure accordingly.

nocode

That chart really does seem dumb. It's $200 more expensive, of course it has extra shit added in. The question is if that $200 of extra stuff is worth it to people, or would they rather spend it on games. More likely, they would rather plunk down less money now, and never think, or care about the extra stuff. $200 goes a long ways.

Stoney Mason said:
Price Drop. The system has always been too damn expensive from day one. We all know it. Anything to get it to a mass market price works better than any salvation game.

Agreed.

Stoney Mason said:
GT 5 will be a big hit but I think we are beyond the point any one game is a game changer for the NA market at this stage in the race. In that sense I agree with PS3 people who say "wait for price drop". I probably disagree with them on the amount of impact it will have though.

Game Changer? Assuredly not. Pushing enough kit to buck the YoY decline? I think it has a good chance.

Stoney Mason said:
For what its worth the reason I focus on PS3 yoy drop is that its the console that theoretically needs to be gaining ground rather than losing ground for all these official PS3 projection to come true.

Ditto. At this point, the PS3s best is behind it and dwindling returns aren't going to prop it up.

nocode said:
That chart really does seem dumb. It's $200 more expensive, of course it has extra shit added in. The question is if that $200 of extra stuff is worth it to people, or would they rather spend it on games. More likely, they would rather plunk down less money now, and never think, or care about the extra stuff. $200 goes a long ways.

Exactly. The chart presumes that certain features are required. If you *want* them, it's relevant. If you don't want wireless for example, the chart is irrelevant to you and nobody cares.

spwolf said:
yeah, hard drive and wireless and free online = in-game avatars.

I love your thinking, thumbs up.

I think Sony's PR is just another proof that they are not moving from $399 price!

lol

spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're doing something very wrong.
(Today, 07:21 PM)

Xenomorph

Banned
PARANO1A said:

Halo titles:

Live support

In-game avatars

White console

white_playstation_2.jpg

jtb

Banned
Danthrax said:
it came out last month and sold:

360 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 260k
PS3 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 210k

the fact that the 360 version still made top 10 with over 110k is pretty decent, actually.

Okay, that's actually pretty decent then.

MotherFan

lowrider007 said:
Pricing the console competitively, if MS drop the pro there is no doubt in my mind that consumers will start to see the benefits of having the PS3 over the 360 in terms of value for money, and advertising the system correctly, in my eyes Sony should be treating this almost as if this was a new console launch, try and rejuvenate the Playstation franchise and drum home to people that this is a new PS3 at a competitive price offering ______ extras over it's competitors, and try to sell PSN more than just the console, but mainly advertising, Sony had some fantastic add campaigns during the life of the PS2, where are they now ?

What about the benefits of having a 360 over a ps3?

soldat7 said:
Sure the PS3 could use a 'reboot', heck, the whole 'Playstation' brand could use a reboot, but at the end of the day, can Sony win back mind-share? It's pretty doubtful at this point. Maybe in a generation or two if they're still in the hardware business.

I don't even think people are really talking about a "Reboot" in the proper sense. Let's boil it down to what a Sony advocate of sales really has to believe if the PS3 is ever able to capture the market it was supposed to or realistically just even come close to it.

A.) You must have a belief that Sony not only priced itself above the market but actually priced itself over an almost consumer repellent price barrier. That the opening price and $399 currently are so inconceivable to consumers that you have to discount all sales stats up to now until the price drop. But that once the PS3 hits $349 or $299 all these people who had a PS2 will now bite the bullet and upgrade or all the fence sitters will simply respond to the sony brand and either buy a new console or an additional console if they already had one.
B.) The playstation brand is so strong that the counter moves and marketing by Nintendo and Microsoft will either be ineffectual or simply ignored by the consumers.
C.) It won't matter that the Wii or the 360 will almost always have a price advantage on the PS3 and a larger installed base advantage in America which arguably creates momentum and word of mouth. The playstation brand will be strong enough to overcome this.
D.) 10 year life cycle while the other companies either simply aren't smart enough to do this, can't do this, or rush ahead to the next generation.
E.) Blu-Ray is so signified with the PS3 that most of America upgrades to the PS3 instead of buying another brand blu-ray player.

So you pretty much have to believe in at least one of those speculations above if not multiple ones to believe Sony will catch and surpass the competition in America. Especially the Wii.

Now I'm not saying you can't believe those things or that some of them aren't more likely to happen than others, but either way that's what you have to be assuming is going to happen just to put it on the table if you are a believer in Sony sales.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Game Changer? Assuredly not. Pushing enough kit to buck the YoY decline? I think it has a good chance.

I would agree with that also. When I made that game changer post I sort of left the specific topic of yoy declines which I probably shouldn't have as it wasn't relevant to what you asked. Yes. I think GT 5 is a strong enough title to break any yoy decline streak that the PS3 builds up although since the Price Drop is probably coming first and I would argue is more important anyway, Price Drop will do it first most likely.

Stoney Mason said:
I don't even think people are really talking about a "Reboot" in the proper sense. Let's boil it down to what a Sony advocate of sales really has to believe if the PS3 is ever able to capture the market it was supposed to or realistically just even come close to it.

A.) You must have a belief that Sony not only priced itself above the market but actually priced itself over an almost consumer repellent price barrier. That the opening price and $399 currently are so inconceivable to consumers that you have to discount all sales stats up to now until the price drop. But that once the PS3 hits $349 or $299 all these people who had a PS2 will now bite the bullet and upgrade or all the fence sitters will simply respond to the sony brand and either buy a new console or an additional console if they already had one.
B.) The playstation brand is so strong that the counter moves and marketing by Nintendo and Microsoft will either be ineffectual or simply ignored by the consumers.
C.) It won't matter that the Wii or the 360 will almost always have a price advantage on the PS3 and a larger installed base advantage in America which arguably creates momentum and word of mouth. The playstation brand will be strong enough to overcome this.
D.) 10 year life cycle while the other companies either simply aren't smart enough to do this, can't do this, or rush ahead to the next generation.
E.) Blu-Ray is so signified with the PS3 that most of America upgrades to the PS3 instead of buying another brand blu-ray player.

So you pretty much have to believe in at least one of those speculations above if not multiple ones to believe Sony will catch and surpass the competition in America. Especially the Wii.

Now I'm not saying you can't believe those things or that some of them aren't more likely to happen than others, but either way that's what you have to be assuming is going to happen just to put it on the table.

Pachter............. is that you?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Did i miss something? Why are such old DS games like Mario Kart & Super Mario in this Top 10?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
My point in all this is that developers shouldn't make third party Wii exclusives. It would be a better investment to make them multiplatform. A game like Little King's Story as a downloadable title on psn/xbl/wii ware would be better.

that is insulting.

LKS is a 40 hour game.

soldat7 said:
Or make a new one. Even my kids are bored of the current Mario Kart offerings.

hmmm...

i would argue that the reason that we see these sales now is because its not a whored out franchise.

one per console is all you are getting

Bisnic said:
Did i miss something? Why are such old DS games like Mario Kart & Super Mario in this Top 10?
If the sales of new software are low enough, they always will be.

People want to know how Nintendo makes so much money, it's because they put out games that still sell 100k/month three or four years down the pike.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Bisnic said:
When almost 540K people buy a DS they tend to buy some of the most recognizable titles for it at the same time.

PARANO1A said:

Halo titles:
360: 2 (2 pending)

Live support

In-game avatars

White console

Fixed.

OldJadedGamer said:
Pachter............. is that you?

The funny thing is that was my legit best post to try to get into the heads of people like that. That's everything I can come up with outside of voodoo magic. ;)

MotherFan

I was just pointing out that he was being silly by saying ps3 is the ultimate value and that there is no reason to get a 360 over a ps3. Good responses though

Edit: Forgot about chart, no reason to get any other system now.

Top Bottom