• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Bisnic said:
Did i miss something? Why are such old DS games like Mario Kart & Super Mario in this Top 10?

Take a look at the DS hardware sales. Those two games are both games that are going to sell with a lot of consoles right off the bat due to the Mario name and assured quality. No single game is going to be a game changer for the DS, there isn't a "wait for _____" to help the sales along. Instead it has it's catalog, which sells the same amount in and out every month. This includes these two games and smaller games too like Rhythm Heaven, Professor Layton, and Starfy. A lot of "kid-oriented" games have nice sales also, it really is the GBA successor in that way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nirolak said:
So apparently Sony sent this chart out with their press release:

2cfsi1z.jpg

I think this is getting to the point of self parody.

interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii.

That is just great stuff Sony...:lol :lol :lol :lol

Pantheon Of The Lesser said:
if you told me 5 years ago that MS would be a solid number 2, i would've elbowed your dick.

kudos, MS.

Wait. Five years ago, MS *was* a solid number 2. And they were expected to keep that level, because Nintendo was being viewed as a dying Old Guard (especially the year afterward, with the silly wand thing that everyone laughed at).

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
My point in all this is that developers shouldn't make third party Wii exclusives. It would be a better investment to make them multiplatform. A game like Little King's Story as a downloadable title on psn/xbl/wii ware would be better.

Aagh, I hate this shit so much.

"Put this on XBLA/PSN" is code for "I'd only BUY this game on XBLA/PSN."

Why the fuck should devs rush to release what you consider to be table scraps?

Sleeker said:
I remember a couple of years ago, people were calling for Sony to discontinue the PS2 to give PS3 more spotlight.

If GAF had its way, every developer would cut its nose off to spite its face.

amtentori said:
interoperability with PSP not available on Xbox 360 or Wii.

That is just great stuff Sony...:lol :lol :lol :lol

I swear, if I ever get in trouble, I'm hiring these Sony PR guys. The expert analysis on those spreadsheets is just pure brilliance.

In fact, I'm in favor of more and more of these spreadsheets. The ham sandwich will always be the best value

Interoperability with PSP... man, I'm definitely not smart enough to work in PR- I never would have thought about that.

boiled goose

good with gravy
meme said:
I can think of 2 kind of costumers, the die-hard Mario fans, that will buy any main Mario game, being it a 2d or 3d one, and the "casual" Mario gamer, the ones that recognizes the character, and don't give a damn about the game being 2d or 3d, they just want a Mario game. Of course there are people that won't play a 3d Mario game even if they were being forced to, but that's a vast minority. That said, I think it will do ~SMG numbers, wich are very good.

if there is only a minority of people who just want a mario game and dont care what it is then why has NSMB sold about 20 million on DS and SM64 DS sold less than 10?

Since when is 10million a minority when it comes to gaming????

DeaconKnowledge said:
Aagh, I hate this shit so much.

"Put this on XBLA/PSN" is code for "I'd only BUY this game on XBLA/PSN.

Why the fuck should devs rush to release what you consider to be table scraps?

To be fair I also tend to think some of these hardcore Wii titles would be more successful as PSN and XBL titles.

I'm not really trying to troll the Wii but that's sort of how I feel. Like I think Mad World could potentially be a big hit on XBL and PSN or a few other titles I could think of. It's easy to play the speculation game of course and I could be completely wrong but even though I have a Wii, I'd rather play some of those style games on my 360.

Of course we'd need to see total final sales and budget for some of these titles to fully speculate on it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
OldJadedGamer said:
Or they were banned for meltdowns.

Good old Private Hoffman... those were the days.

Now everyone gathers around PS3 sales results with awkward silence. What can you say at this point? Nine straight months of declines. You can't defend it anymore and it just doesn't feel right to make fun of them anymore. They're still sending out these comparison charts for Christ's sake. It's like they're mentally challenged... or at best extremely aloof. Either way, it doesn't feel right to laugh anymore. At the beginning it was fun to see themselves trip over their own arrogance. Now it's just sad and you can't help but hope their fortunes turn around with Slim.

AniHawk

Stoney Mason said:
To be fair I also tend to think some of these hardcore Wii titles would be more successful as PSN and XBL titles.

I'm not really trying to troll the Wii but that's sort of how I feel. Like I think Mad World could potentially be a big hit on XBL or PSN or a few other titles I could think of. It's easy to play the speculation game of course and I could be completely wrong but even though I have a Wii, I'd rather play some of those style games on my 360.

Of course we'd need to see total final sales and budget for some of these titles to fully speculate on it.

You'd probably be right. There's no real reason Klonoa should be Wii exclusive, and they could probably move it as a $15 download and keep around the same dollar amount per sale.

Non-remakes might not do as well. LKS would probably have a tough time moving at $20. Games that rely on motion controls to separate it from other games in the genre, like MadWorld, would probably do way worse than as a Wii exclusive.

I too hope Sony turns it around just so these threads get more entertaining :(

I want to hear bold proclamations (though I am happy that some people have defended the Sony PR chart- that was unexpected!):lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seriously. I'd rather have middling sales as a $50 Wii exclusive than middling sales as a $10-$20 XBLA/PSN game if I were the publisher.

zero2000

Banned
Angry_Gorilla said:
I too hope Sony turns it around just so these threads get more entertaining :(

I want to hear bold proclamations (though I am happy that some people have defended the Sony PR chart- that was unexpected!):lol

Sony was turning it around for most of 08, outselling the 360 for what, 7 or 8 months of the year?

It really wasn't all that entertaining. At least after the first few months that happened. It was almost becoming the norm.

AniHawk said:
You'd probably be right. There's no real reason Klonoa should be Wii exclusive, and they could probably move it as a $15 download and keep around the same dollar amount per sale.

Non-remakes might not do as well. LKS would probably have a tough time moving at $20. Games that rely on motion controls to separate it from other games in the genre, like MadWorld, would probably do way worse than as a Wii exclusive.

You'd definitely have to make them more appropriate for the gamepads but I use MadWorld as an example that you know that game would have had crazy word of mouth on PSN or XBL. On the Wii releasing some of those games just feels like you are sending it to die against the incredibly strong Nintendo product it is competing with. Now of course part of that is budget. The games are theoretically cheaper to make on the Wii but I'd like to see some budget comparison between Wii and PSN/XBLA titles to really get a handle on the issue. I'm too lazy to google so maybe that information exists out there.

ZAK

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Whoever updated this last messed up. Obama needs to be crossed out in purple. That or Gran Turismo needs to be in Green.
It had "WANDS" in green. You can see it's erased. That pic is some quality, attention-to-detail shit.

AniHawk said:
LKS would probably have a tough time moving at $20.
That's disgusting.

Stoney Mason said:
You'd definitely have to make them more appropriate for the gamepads but I use MadWorld as an example that you know that game would have had crazy word of mouth on PSN or XBL. On the Wii releasing some of those games just feels like you are sending it to die against the incredibly strong Nintendo product it is competing with.
Um... what? What Nintendo games is Madworld even remotely similar to? I can understand someone being interested in both Madworld and, say, Galaxy, and picking up Galaxy over MW, but I don't see why they wouldn't eventually pick up both. There's very little in the way of "substitutes" for MW in the Wii library, especially among first-party titles. I think people not picking it up indicates they're just not interested, or never heard of it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Man God said:
Seriously. I'd rather have middling sales as a $50 Wii exclusive than middling sales as a $10-$20 XBLA/PSN game if I were the publisher.
Just because a game is on XBLA/PSN doesn't mean the sales will be middling. Trials HD has sold over 55,000 in 2 days and Battlefield 1943 sold over 500k(?) in a week.

Koodo

Banned
Mario Kart has become such a force. I mean, it's always been successful, but who could've guessed it would be this insane? Both the Wii and DS version deserve every bit of those sales, and then some.

AniHawk

Stoney Mason said:
You'd definitely have to make them more appropriate for the gamepads but I use MadWorld as an example that you know that game would have had crazy word of mouth on PSN or XBL. On the Wii releasing some of those games just feels like you are sending it to die against the incredibly strong Nintendo product it is competing with. Now of course part of that is budget. The games are theoretically cheaper to make on the Wii but I'd like to see some budget comparison between Wii and PSN/XBLA titles to really get a handle on the issue. I'm too lazy to google so maybe that information exists out there.

Shadow Complex and DLC for GTA IV probably have the biggest budgets for download titles. MadWorld would probably be right up there with them. MadWorld had a lot of voice talent and original music that I doubt came cheap.

Stoney Mason said:

I'm not really trying to troll the Wii but that's sort of how I feel. Like I think Mad World could potentially be a big hit on XBL and PSN or a few other titles I could think of. It's easy to play the speculation game of course and I could be completely wrong but even though I have a Wii, I'd rather play some of those style games on my 360.

Madworld wouldn't exist as it is if it was a PSN/XBLA title. Neither would LKS or the Conduit or Rune Factory Frontier or any of the other titles I hear people bitching about getting PSN/XBLA releases. That's the problem.

It's asinine from the start to say "if this game were developed for XBLA I would buy it" because that wouldn't happen. Even if the game was a bomb and the company decided to port the title, it still wouldn't end up as a PSN/XBLA game, but instead as a B n' M retail release.

As far as i'm concerned, that argument is just as stupid as the "Wii should get all the HD console titles" argument.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stoney Mason said:

what? why?

like Ani said:

Klonoa yes. it is a remake of a straight forward platformer. make it multiplatform/downloadable. it is only a five hour long game

LKS on the other hand is a 40 hour long game destined to be niche like Zack and Wiki. Chilldish appearance, unknown IP, adult gameplay. It wouldnt be the same game if it was a downloadable game. Gamers will enjoy it, no one else will hear about it.

Madworld would probably do better as wii exclusive. if it wasnt, it would have had zero hype.
it had the push of being a mature/gory game on wii. it had motion controls for killing moves. if it wasnt wii exclusive it would have fallen completely through the cracks and gotten awful reviews. it was a short, decent at best game that was only praised because it was on the wii. it had good style and music and potential.

Man God said:

It depends. Look at something like Castle Crashers. Those small sales start to add up if you can really penetrate that market. And you have both consoles to potentially bring it to. And the marketing for those full retail games tend to cost more especially if there is a TV commercial in the mix.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Archie said:
Just because a game is on XBLA/PSN doesn't mean the sales will be middling. Trials HD has sold over 55,000 in 2 days and Battlefield 1943 sold over 500k(?) in a week.

I didn't say that!

Madworld sales would have been bad to mediocre no matter what platform it was on. A no name brawler that's too short and has a distinct, somewhat offputting artstyle.

Battlefield has something of a name and is a steal at that price.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Man God said:
I didn't say that!

Madworld sales would have been bad to mediocre no matter what platform it was on. A no name brawler that's too short and has a distinct, somewhat offputting artstyle.

Battlefield has something of a name and is a steal at that price.
Well I can agree with that. Madworld was doomed from the beginning.

I thought you were inferring that XBLA/PSN is where the 2nd rate games go to die. My mistake.

Stoney Mason said:
It depends. Look at something like Castle Crashers. Those small sales start to add up if you can really penetrate that market. And you have both consoles to potentially bring it to. And the marketing for those full retail games tend to cost more especially if there is a TV commercial in the mix.

Both those games were conceived, developed, and implemented as downloadable titles. If Castle Crashers was a Brick n' Mortar 360 release, or hell, even a Wii release, do you think it would have done that well?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stoney Mason said:
On the Wii releasing some of those games just feels like you are sending it to die against the incredibly strong Nintendo product it is competing with.

here is where you are completely wrong.
what was madworlds competition on the wii?????
no more heroes, man hunt 2?

on the 360 you not only have relatively strong first party games like Halo, but you are competing against tons of mature games like fallout, gears, dead space, gears 2, oblivion, saints row, gta1v, assassins creed, etc.

you even have better brawlers like DMC4, NG2, etc.

There is competition in every single console.
If you are not competing against first party, you are competing against other third parties.

Stoney Mason said:

key issue here. there are success and failure everywhere. and CC was conceived and developed as a DD game. same as World of goo or mega man 9

how would you bring awareness without marketing? marketing a retail game and a downloadable game costs the same. it depends how you market it, not on the game itself.

amtentori said:
what? why?

I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying that is the reality of my gaming experience. It's mainly about pricing. I won't spend that much for the game on the Wii. I'm not saying others wouldn't or that its not a fair price but that's just me. The math is fairly simple in that it's pretty easy to ask does the profit become greater if you sell it for $50 rather than whatever its going to cost on XBL/PSN once you deduct marketing and budget for the game. It probably is still more to their advantage to do it on the Wii because of that large installed base and the potential of it really breaking through although like I said I'd be really fascinated to see the budgeting and profit for some of these titles relative to each other.

Truespeed

RSTEIN said:
Good old Private Hoffman... those were the days.

Now everyone gathers around PS3 sales results with awkward silence. What can you say at this point? Nine straight months of declines. You can't defend it anymore and it just doesn't feel right to make fun of them anymore. They're still sending out these comparison charts for Christ's sake. It's like they're mentally challenged... or at best extremely aloof. Either way, it doesn't feel right to laugh anymore. At the beginning it was fun to see themselves trip over their own arrogance. Now it's just sad and you can't help but hope their fortunes turn around with Slim.

It's the silence before the storm. Also, what's the point of defending the sales of a 3rd place console to that of a 2nd place console? That's like asking who the most successful loser is. But, if there is an awkward silence between the PS3 and 360 then what's the sound emanating as the Wii smashes the 360 with a pipe wrench month after month in both sales and margin per console?

soldat7

amtentori said:
hmmm...

i would argue that the reason that we see these sales now is because its not a whored out franchise.

one per console is all you are getting

They don't have to whore it out. A new Mario Kart every couple of years isn't asking too much. Thank goodness Nintendo is making an exception to their silly thinking with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stoney Mason said:
I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying that is the reality of my gaming experience. It's mainly about pricing. I won't spend that much for the game on the Wii. I'm not saying others wouldn't or that its not a fair price but that's just me. The math is fairly simple in that it's pretty easy to ask does the profit become greater if you sell it for $50 rather than whatever its going to cost on XBL/PSN once you deduct marketing and budget for the game. It probably is still more to their advantage to do it on the Wii because of that large installed base and the potential of it really breaking through although like I said I'd be really fascinated to see the budgeting and profit for some of these titles relative to each other.

well then you would not get LKS or Madworld we got.
If they were developed to cost ten bucks they would not be the same. end of story.

and what the hell is this?

" won't spend that much for the game on the Wii. "

LKS is a 40 hour game!!!
did you fork over 60 bucks for assassins creed? Prince of Persia? hell even Gears?
Why are wii games intrinsically worth less to you? doesnt it come down to the individual game? its not like LKS and Madworld are arcade or Puzzle games.

sounds like some kind of console preference fanboyism seeping through.

soldat7 said:
They don't have to whore it out. A new Mario Kart every couple of years isn't asking too much. Thank goodness Nintendo is making an exception to their silly thinking with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

well, the difference is that Mario Galaxy wont exist next gen, while Mario Kart is probably going to exist for gens to come. each iteration only receives small upgrades. this time online, the wheel, and the usual characters, items, and tracks. releasing similar games every couple of years would sell well in the short run but you would tire the franchise within a decade. nintendo always thinks about the long run.

the solution is obvious: next gen kart games should have Downloadable tracks and such. the wii version at least still hads online tournaments every once in a while from my understanding.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Both those games were conceived, developed, and implemented as downloadable titles. If Castle Crashers was a Brick n' Mortar 360 release, or hell, even a Wii release, do you think it would have done that well?

Does that really matter though? What arguably really matters is budget and awareness and desire of the group you are trying to sell to. I agree Castle Crashers would have died if it was a store release. It sold well because it was able to be marketed and sold properly to a niche group where anticipation was high and word of mouth took over. My argument is that some of these hardcore Wii titles that bomb in some cases fit the demographics and market make-up more of the PSN/XBLA crowd rather than the general retail store Wii crowd. Not every title I would admit. Just some of them.

For what it's worth. I completely glossed over MadWorld when it was released on the Wii. Two weeks ago for whatever reason I watched a youtube clip and I thought wow that looks awesome. I think often times there is an awareness problem when they try to bring some of these titles to the Wii where it doesn't spread like it should.

I'll leave this topic though as I'll fully admit it's mostly speculation on my part and without budgets and full sales figures I don't feel comfortable making the full argument.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
kitzkozan said:
I guess that 2009 being a revival for fighting game is not true after all.

Street fighter is popular again for sure and Tekken 6 will go on to sell 3-4 million,but no such luck for Blazblue.

Do we have an estimate of how many copies were sold on Blazblue?

I don't even want to know the numbers on KOF XII. :lol

apparently it did quite a bit better in July than in June. the PS3 version outsold the 360 version again, too.

ZAK

amtentori said:
LKS is a 40 hour game!!!
It's a 40 hour Wii game. The invariably low number of pixels you'll spend your time staring at makes it an inherently inferior experience. Do you care how big a burger you're offered if you want a steak?

amtentori said:
sounds like some kind of console preference fanboyism seeping through.

And this is also why I'll leave the topic since it gets people quite angry. For what its worth I own both consoles and have since launch. I have no desire to pit one console against the other to prop up one console. I'm fairly honest about my Wii experience. It mostly gathers dust. That doesn't mean other people can't get great enjoyment out of it. But that is a separate issue related to my expectation and desires towards the console and it has nothing really to do with this.

Polk

Arpharmd B said:
Umm, Wii hardware sales dropped off a cliff the same month they released Wii Sports Resort, arguably their biggest software of the year, and noone thinks this is a big deal?
Why WSR should be considered as system seller? It's not bundled with Wii? I mean, if someone will buy wii, he won't probably buy WSR right away. He's got his tennis/bowling/whatever for now with free Wii Sports.
WSR wiill make great (easy) christmas gift though

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Truespeed said:
Also, what's the point of defending the sales of a 3rd place console to that of a 2nd place console?

That's not the real story. The console sales order has been set in stone for a while now (at least in North America). The real story is that the PS3 continues to record YoY sales declines. The momentum of the sales declines is staggering. The 360 is holding its own and actually recording sales growth. So, yes, they are the second and third place consoles, but the distance between them is growing each month, and the distance between the 360 and the Wii is shrinking. Sony has lost a lot of ground this year and it's kind of sad to watch them sit on the sidelines without any alternatives.

Hopefully consumers will respond to the Slim and this period is indeed "the calm before the storm."

legend166

Stoney Mason said:

LKS has more content than most HD blockbusters. Saying "oh well you can seel it for $15" is retarded.

Retarded.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Stoney Mason said:
And this is also why I'll leave the topic since it gets people quite angry. For what its worth I own both consoles and have since launch. I have no desire to pit one console against the other to prop up one console. I'm fairly honest about my Wii experience. It mostly gathers dust. That doesn't mean other people can't get great enjoyment out of it. But that is a separate issue related to my expectation and desires towards the console and it has nothing really to do with this.

not angry, just curious. :p

you are just special, lets leave it at that.

ZAK said:
It's a 40 hour Wii game. The invariably low number of pixels you'll spend your time staring at makes it an inherently inferior experience. Do you care how big a burger you're offered if you want a steak?

thank you. that explains it.

legend166 said:
LKS has more content than most HD blockbusters. Saying "oh well you can seel it for $15" is retarded.

Retarded.

Im confused again. this makes more sense.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lawblob said:
God damn Mario leg humpers thinking stupid NSMB will sell Jack shit!!! lol-Station is a damn joke, Uncharted needs to sell 900K month one or I am trading mine for a Gizmondo!! How many copies did Madworld sell, like 5? God, what a joke, put that shit on a real console!!!

Exactly!

AniHawk

Stoney Mason said:
For what it's worth. I completely glossed over MadWorld when it was released on the Wii. Two weeks ago for whatever reason I watched a youtube clip and I thought wow that looks awesome. I think often times there is an awareness problem when they try to bring some of these titles to the Wii where it doesn't spread like it should.

One thing I've seen is that when people decide to make "mature, bloody" games on the Wii, they go to the fucking extreme. Manhunt 2, NMH, and MadWorld are probably the three goriest games this generation and they're all on the Wii. I don't think they would have been too successful anywhere (well, Manhunt 2 did all right on the PS2). Stuff like The Conduit with PG-13 violence is more acceptable to the mainstream (Gears is probably the one that doesn't fit the mold).

I liked MadWorld. I probably shouldn't have spent $50 for it, but it wasn't a bad game. A lot of it had to do with the motion controls and how Platinum Games didn't overdo them. It wouldn't be quite the game it is without them. I could go into a little more detail about it, but it just brought back memories of the final fights in Beyond Good & Evil and Metal Gear Solid 3 when I thought back on it.

legend166 said:

Retarded.

And I'll freely admit I'm not familiar with the title so that is valid point to make. Although 12K says something went wrong with marketing or reaching the audience this game was intended for. Although I have no idea how much the budget was, or how many days it was available for sales on the NPD report.

Top Bottom