• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

duk

Banned
compared to last year:

DS 608k
Wii 555k
Playstation 3 225k
PSP 222k
Xbox 360 205k
Playstation 2 155k

360 down ~2,100
Wii down ~303,000
PS3 down ~103,000

Wii is definitely declining, last 4-5 months?
Amazing that 360 is holding pretty steady, when everyone else is declining.
PS3 trending down last 8-9 months, just yikes.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I know. It's predecessor only became a greatest hits title, outsold nearly every JRPG not associated with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts since this gens start, and was one of Atlus USA's best selling games of all-time. Bomba for sure.
You forgot one thing.

It's a Wii game.

OldJadedGamer said:
5 months the PS3 outsold the 360 in 08. The PS3 beat the 360 the same month Warner picked Blu-ray ending the format war, then the month after. Showing fence sitters waiting for a format winner so they could buy the best and cheapest Blu-ray player on the market.

Then the next three months that the PS3 beat the 360 it was the month before, the month of, and the month after MGS4 released. Also, the model that was being sold at the time had a free pack in game, had a rumble controller packed in for the first time, AND biggest of all was the very last unit that Sony ever sold that had BC.

yep/ MG4 was the biggest release sony had and HDDVD dying...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
duk said:
compared to last year:

360 down ~2,100
Wii down ~303,000
PS3 down ~103,000

as someone else said, it may be because 360 is the only console to get a price cut since last July.

duk

Banned
Danthrax said:
as someone else said, it may be because 360 is the only console to get a price cut since last July.

Yeah that might be it but it maybe due to s/w sales (cept for this month), or a combo of various reasons. Either way this Fall will be interesting, maybe 360 will pull ahead of Wii (if Wii gets no price drop)?

I expect PS3 to come back strong for Fall with price drop and slim.

d+pad

It certainly speaks to the current state of the US games market that people here are championing the 360's 'steady' sales as being impressive. Sure, they've been steady, but they've been LOW and steady (esp. when compared to the Wii). The fact that the Wii's rapidly dropping sales are still above the 360 is very telling, I think...

d+pad

duk said:
Yeah that might be it but it maybe due to s/w sales (cept for this month), or a combo of various reasons. Either way this Fall will be interesting, maybe 360 will pull ahead of Wii (if Wii gets no price drop)?

I expect PS3 to come back strong for Fall with price drop and slim.

It's funny that people are so obsessed with the 360 or even the PS3 pulling ahead of the Wii. What will it accomplish, exactly?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah, a Slim PS3 couple with a Price Drop is going to move A LOT of consoles. If they do bring out a slim with no drop, though, you can bet that sales will only jump for a month or two, a la the 80 GB PS3 deal.

Then again, the 360 still has a lot of room to move. It is almost 4 years old and has had one major price drop. This fall should be excellent for gamers, regardless. Of course, if Nintendo drops the Wii price 50 bucks and includes a new mass audience draw game, it is all over again for the HD consoles.

August should be an excellent month for the 360, though.

tenten

Banned
Danthrax said:

It is, but so what? Why can't sony or nintendo do the same? drop the freaking price!
so sales are meaningless for x console because they had a price drop?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
d+pad said:
It certainly speaks to the current state of the US games market that people here are championing the 360's 'steady' sales as being impressive. Sure, they've been steady, but they've been LOW and steady (esp. when compared to the Wii). The fact that the Wii's rapidly dropping sales are still above the 360 is very telling, I think...

the 360 has sold very decently. Low and steady is not the right descriptor. that falls better with the PS3 this year. the 360 would better be "Average and steady." The Wii has finally dropped to Earth. Developers are realizing that, barring any sort of renewed interest in Wii Waggle, the best bet is once again on the "slow and steady wins the race" That is why people are so keen on seeing the 360 stay constant.

duk

Banned
d+pad said:
It's funny that people are so obsessed with the 360 or even the PS3 pulling ahead of the Wii. What will it accomplish, exactly?

Maybe some ppl are 'obsessed' but I am just saying it would make it much more interesting wouldn't it?

Danthrax said:

Sure that's a factor, but it mostly is because microsoft is the only company thinking long term about the game industry.

Nintendo as usual has shot their load early. Luckily it was such a marvelous blast that they can ride it for a while. Wii Sports Resort wasn't a system seller. It could have been. It should have been. But they don't care anymore. And yeah you can make the weak argument that "people who would buy this would've bought the wii earlier." That's nonsense. These NPD numbers show that over 500,000 people bought consoles this month that they most likely did not own before. 500,000 people finally pulled the plug in the middle of july. There's lots of persuasion still needed this late in the game to get people off the fence. WSR should have been the ultimate fence shaker for nintendo.
Sony would be thinking long term like they did in the ps1 days, but they're too busy picking up their short term mess to even consider looking down that road...which will result in more short term messes and blunders. They're at catch 22 levels of bad at this point. They gotta find something that will get them off that rollercoaster.

Microsoft is the new Sony. They're playing it steady. They keep at it a little at time, and if nintendo doesn't watch their ass (again), they're gonna fall behind in the home console market. Obviously, not this gen, but there's lots more gens coming.

Tideas

Banned
CultureClearance said:
Sure that's a factor, but it mostly is because microsoft is the only company thinking long term about the game industry.

Nintendo as usual has shot their load early. Luckily it was such a marvelous blast that they can ride it for a while. Wii Sports Resort wasn't a system seller. It could have been. It should have been. But they don't care anymore. And yeah you can make the weak argument that "people who would buy this would've bought the wii earlier." That's nonsense. These NPD numbers show that over 500,000 people bought consoles this month that they most likely did not own before. 500,000 people finally pulled the plug in the middle of july. There's lots of persuasion still needed this late in the game to get people off the fence. WSR should have been the ultimate fence shaker for nintendo.
Sony would be thinking long term like they did in the ps1 days, but they're too busy picking up their short term mess to even consider looking down that road...which will result in more short term messes and blunders. They're at catch 22 levels of bad at this point. They gotta find something that will get them off that rollercoaster.

Microsoft is the new Sony. They're playing it steady. They keep at it a little at time, and if nintendo doesn't watch their ass (again), they're gonna fall behind in the home console market. Obviously, not this gen, but there's lots more gens coming.

Or...it could be MS has the cheapest console out there. $179 is $80 cheaper than the Wii and $120 cheaper than the PS3.

Money speaks

The excitement wasn't in retail in July, it was on XBLA and PSN. If Battlefield could chart it would have been number 1 in unit sales even if the revenue isn't as large.

legend166

CultureClearance said:

lol

billy.sea

Banned
I don't think games like Muramasa will sell on any platform. It's like you can't get any niche-er than that.

2D Action, Japanese Traditional Art Style, Small Publisher, Zero Marketing

TheOddOne

lowrider007 said:
Well it's obviously because of the initial outlay being considerably more, it's hard to convey to general consumers that spending more on the PS3 will 'most likely' save you money in the long run, that and I think MS have done a great job of advertising this time around, the thing is MS are selling live, Sony are selling a console.
lowrider007 said:
Pricing the console competitively, if MS drop the pro there is no doubt in my mind that consumers will start to see the benefits of having the PS3 over the 360 in terms of value for money, and advertising the system correctly, in my eyes Sony should be treating this almost as if this was a new console launch, try and rejuvenate the Playstation franchise and drum home to people that this is a new PS3 at a competitive price offering ______ extras over it's competitors, and try to sell PSN more than just the console, but mainly advertising, Sony had some fantastic add campaigns during the life of the PS2, where are they now ?
:lol

d+pad said:

Telling what exactly? The only thing it's telling is that Nintendo had a HUUUGE lead back then.

Business is not about gloating about the past. It's about trends. What's going up? What's going down? What will go up? What will go down?

360's sales have not been bad at all. You're just comparing them to the best selling console of all time. They're going from being last place by a country mile to a solid second place. They're going steady as everything else is going down 50%. As a trend, they are looking good.
Nintendo has made an absolute mint in the last few years...but where is this money going? Where's the output? Their output (while semi-steady) is just same-old nintendo. If they were smart they would have eaten microsoft and sony completely whole by now. They could have bought back the companies sony took from them during their weak years and then some. or they could have 5 new ips a year, easy. Nah, ride on the same ips they've been using for years. Pocket it and go home. That's nice for the short term...not so much for the long term.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I have kind of been on the outside of the gaming universe for the last couple years. Surely Nintendo has some big games in the pipeline?

With the HD consoles getting some huge releases in the next month or two, what is coming out on the Nintendo side of things?

Tideas said:
Or...it could be MS has the cheapest console out there. $179 is $80 cheaper than the Wii and $120 cheaper than the PS3.

Money speaks

They're playing on all fronts. They're actually playing the game of business. They're playing the game of market share. They're playing the long term game while everyone else is cashing in while they can as if the world's gonna end at 2010 - 2015 and the guy in the lead at the buzzer is the winner forever.

Danthrax said:
and? MS is doing something right? something the other companies aren't doing . consoles get price drops all the time, your saying it like somehow they are cheating. the other companies are stupid for NOT dropping the price, don't look at 360 sales being high because they dropped the price, but look at the being high becuase two companies won't. and anyways when you add harddrive, bluray, wifi and online charges the 360 is the most expensive but still selling well. someone explain that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
tenten said:
It is, but so what? Why can't sony or nintendo do the same? drop the freaking price!
so sales are meaningless for x console because they had a price drop?

I didn't say the 360's sales were meaningless because they dropped the price. I just gave a possible reason for WHY its sales are flat compared to the PS3 and Wii. This forum is for gaming discussion, you know.

AlteredBeast said:
I have kind of been on the outside of the gaming universe for the last couple years. Surely Nintendo has some big games in the pipeline?

With the HD consoles getting some huge releases in the next month or two, what is coming out on the Nintendo side of things?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (it's like the NSMB game for DS but with four-player co-op, basically)
Wii Fit Plus (sequel to Wii Fit)

that's pretty much it from Nintendo for this holiday season, besides releasing Wii Sports Resort in July and the Metroid Prime Trilogy in August.

Sleeker

duk said:
compared to last year:

360 down ~2,100
Wii down ~303,000
PS3 down ~103,000

So what is it about the 360 that makes it that stable?

CultureClearance said:

I think your counting your chickens only a few days after WSR released. There has been a boost for Wii hardware in other territories so at the risk of sounding ignorant i would wait till next NPD.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
constant games that speak to its market? At an affordable price, of course.

Something neither Nintendo or Sony can claim right now.

jman2050

CultureClearance said:
They're playing on all fronts. They're actually playing the game of business. They're playing the game of market share. They're playing the long term game while everyone else is cashing in while they can as if the world's gonna end at 2010 - 2015 and the guy in the lead at the buzzer is the winner forever.

You haven't exactly specified what their long term goal is and why what they're doing is so much better than everyone else's.

Scottlarock said:
and? MS is doing something right? something the other companies aren't doing . consoles get price drops all the time, your saying it like somehow they are cheating. the other companies are stupid for NOT dropping the price, don't look at 360 sales being high because they dropped the price, but look at the being high becuase two companies won't. and anyways when you add harddrive, bluray, wifi and online charges the 360 is the most expensive but still selling well. someone explain that.

360 sales are high?

Busaiku said:
I don't know what's up with it becoming a Greatest Hits title.
The sales of it (through January at least) certainly didn't indicate it selling near the amount necessary for it.

And it certainly didn't outsell almost every JRPG that's not Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
Persona 4 wasn't too far behind it, and it was only in the market for two months.

It outsold most of them (I think TWEWY, CT, and LO were the only exceptions. Here's the post we're both referring to.

And I would assume a title like Persona 4 wouldn't have that long of legs due to it being such a niche title (it's a late 2008 PS2 title).

Aaron Strife said:
You forgot one thing.

Atlus isn't publishing, Ignition is.

Fixed.

tintinrudd said:
I think your counting your chickens only a few days after WSR released. There has been a boost for Wii hardware in other territories so at the risk of sounding ignorant i would wait till next NPD.

The wii's july to july sales went down 50% and the game already sold half a million. I guess it's possible that you're right but I see no logical reason why...how...what?

People tend to buy consoles for games they're looking forward to ahead of the game's release. That's how hype works. It's anticipation and buying the console is a form of preparation.

d+pad said:

That the Wii sales before were bloated and are now actually selling what they should?

Busaiku

AlteredBeast said:

Nintendo's definitely got some big titles coming up, in the from of Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros Wii, which may just be the two of the three biggest ("biggest" referring to those with the highest sales potential) titles this year. The third would probably be Wii Sports Resort.
Although they'll certainly sell a lot, it remains to be seen if they can push hardware.

CultureClearance said:

How can you say this? Microsoft is playing the long term game? How so? Their game division isn't even profitable right now.

There's only one company that is consistently profitable in games, whether in 1st place or third. And it's not Microsoft. The consistently profitable game division company is the one playing the long term gain.

Not to mention the consistently profitable one has yet to play any of their cards. They've had no price drops. No new SKU's. No revisions. No new colors outside of Japan. Nintendo is the company dictating terms right now. Not Microsoft. They can twist the knife whenever they like.

legend166

CultureClearance said:

seriously just stop posting.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Business generally does not look kindly on flat YOY sales — in any industry. The 360's sales trend would not be considered "good" business-wise because business always looks for growth. The 360 would be considered "stagnant."

The PS3's and Wii's sales trends, on the other hand, would be considered very bad after these continuous sharp declines YOY. The whole video game hardware sector isn't looking too hot, really.

Busaiku said:
Nintendo's definitely got some big titles coming up, in the from of Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros Wii, which may just be the two of the three biggest ("biggest" referring to those with the highest sales potential) titles this year. The third would probably be Wii Sports Resort.
Although they'll certainly sell a lot, it remains to be seen if they can push hardware.

don't forget Call of Duty 6 and Halo ODST. they'll be huge.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Sushen said:
I want them to list DS and DSi separate. I'm still not sure if DSi will pickup... until then, I'm not buying one.

in terms of sales or what???

dsi is selling faster than wii and ds lite.

Raist

Banned
This is something I constantly see coming up and I don't get it... how exactly is MadWorld a niche title? It's a freakin BTA with gore and quite pick up and play gameplay.

AniHawk

SlipperySlope said:
How can you say this? Microsoft is playing the long term game? How so? Their game division isn't even profitable right now.

There's only one company that is consistently profitable in games, whether in 1st place or third. And it's not Microsoft. The consistently profitable game division company is the one playing the long term gain.

Not to mention the consistently profitable one has yet to play any of their cards. They've had no price drops. No new SKU's. No revisions. No new colors outside of Japan. Nintendo is the company dictating terms right now. Not Microsoft. They can twist the knife whenever they like.

Oh good, you found the sales-age threads.

CultureClearance said:
The wii's july to july sales went down 50% and the game already sold half a million. I guess it's possible that you're right but I see no logical reason why...how...what?

People tend to buy consoles for games they're looking forward to ahead of the game's release. That's how hype works. It's anticipation and buying the console is a form of preparation.

Again, your forgetting how Wii customers work in general. Slow like the tortoise, evergreen sales and word of mouth. And i mean real word of mouth, not money hated "buzz" associated with the rest of the industry.

Basketball, for example, will generate new audiences. It just might take a little time for people to become aware of it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Raist said:
This is something I constantly see coming up and I don't get it... how exactly is MadWorld a niche title? It's a freakin BTA with gore and quite pick up and play gameplay.

due to the art style, I suppose.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Sho_Nuff82 said:
As a retail title it would've sold 10k then been discontinued.

Downloadable titles (non-indie) don't have to fight for shelf space (they get at least a week on their own or with 1 or 2 other games to shine), have no TV/billboard advertisement budgets to worry about, and are often picked up as impulse purchases because they are under $20.

you do point out one advantage of DD.

Infinite shelf life.

Raist said:

It didn't get stuck with that label until it was clear that it wasn't going to sell well.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
SlipperySlope said:

You touch on many good points. But you realize that MS and Sony are both holding back as much as Nintendo? Sony could drop 100 dollars easy at any time. In the end, it is the software that sells systems, price drops historically have done very little over the life of a console. Not new colors, nor new form factors. Look to Japan to see what the colors have done for the Wii's sales (still incredibly down YOY). In the end, will people buy a Wii at 250 or 200 or 150 because of a new revision of Will Fit? New Super Mario Bros Wii? I don't see that really pushing sale back into the stratosphere for the Wii. IMO, nothing will ever again.

I see the Wii continuing to sell similar to what it is selling right now for the next few years and then the Wii 2 comes out. That alone is a huge win for Nintendo and will guarantee it in the history books as one of the best selling consoles ever. But it will never go crazy again like it was in 2008. Maybe for one month after a price drop. but never ever consistently.

Zhuk

Banned
SlipperySlope said:

Xbox division has been profitable for a few years now.

Top Bottom