• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Tobor

plagiarize said:
if you want to run up buildings rather than climb them, you'll buy the well made game that lets you do just that when you're only talking about a game that gets about 8.5 out of 10 compared to a game that gets 8 out of 10.

I wanted to blow the wall down and run through it, so I bought Red Faction instead. :D

Tobor said:
plagiarize said:
if you want to run up buildings rather than climb them, you'll buy the well made game that lets you do just that when you're only talking about a game that gets about 8.5 out of 10 compared to a game that gets 8 out of 10.

I wanted to blow the wall down and run through it, so I bought Red Faction instead. :D
and good for you. i was just answering the question why anyone with a PS3 bought Prototype.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dax01 said:
I don't know how (using Firefox).

I am too, adblock brings up another window with three options for me, the first one is just that specific image while the second is the site(tinypic) in general.

Oh, looks like it's an adblock plus thing if you don't have that.

Salmonax

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Man, why can't *I* have a body like Christian Bale?
strong_squirrel.jpg

bhhawks78

Banned
plagiarize said:
because even if one is marginally better than the other both appeal to different demographics. one is an over the top acrobatic gore extravaganza, the other is a well written graphic novel moral dilemma kind of thing.

Waaat? Well written? From the start at least the stories are almost identical (random guy gets powers in a city falling apart and is angry about it + have annoying secondary characters (Alex's sister, Cole's worthless GF, and the GTA4 but bad ripoff ZEKE) Haven't finished prototype but the infamous story was god awful, like KZ2/Gears of war 2 style awful, not to mention probably the worst ending since the halo 2 lol cliffhanger.

Just because infamous had cool comic cutscenes doesn't mean the story wasn't one of the worst ever.

mujun

Kittonwy said:
You make it sound like people defending better games is a bad thing.
Indifferent2.gif

Anything is bad if it's taken too far.

Cruzader said:
so this has turned into a inFamous vs Prototype again....didnt we have one of those threads?

Anyhow Blu has a point. If you own a PS3, why would you get Prototype ala 2K9 vs The Show?

Really, they play very differently and both do totally different things well.

Felix Lighter said:
Will this thread officially end the Infamous/Prototype war? Or at least until the sequels are released?

I declare this battle to be a tie. The real war will be Forza versus Gran Turismo.

There will be blood!

bhhawks78 said:
Waaat? Well written? From the start at least the stories are almost identical (random guy gets powers in a city falling apart and is angry about it + have annoying secondary characters (Alex's sister, Cole's worthless GF, and the GTA4 but bad ripoff ZEKE) Haven't finished prototype but the infamous story was god awful, like KZ2/Gears of war 2 style awful, not to mention probably the worst ending since the halo 2 lol cliffhanger.

Just because infamous had cool comic cutscenes doesn't mean the story wasn't one of the worst ever.
and there i was expecting to get jumped by the Infamous fans.

Amir0x

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Why would you want a hardcore game on Wii to fail???

:(

I thought Punch-Out!! was at the very least aimed at my type of audience, I would have liked to see that do well. It was a fun re-imagining of a NES classic, with decent visuals, simple yet refined gameplay and a good sense of humour.

Conduit was a game that did certain stuff I want other developers to do on the platform - Wii Speak support (something that wouldn't even be important were it on any other platform on Earth), extensive customization options - but those aspects in of itself are not enough to make me wish it well. Nor is good developer intentions. I do want other developers to be encouraged to try harder, but if they were to emulate Conduit what we'd get is an army of titles which believe that simply getting a control scheme right means your shitty, boring gameplay is magically good. It is in virtually every respect (outside of its customization) a shooter that would have been bad in 1997, not just versus shooters of today on PC/PS360.

Not to mention the engine which they were apparently so proud of didn't even look good at all. I mean one might say "it looks good for Wii", but I don't even think that is the case. It is a jittery, shimmery mess, with extremely inconsistent art design and even more inconsistent texture design. And the engine is used to render an endless amount of terribly unimaginative levels and empty rooms filled with repetitive enemies. Seriously an unimpressive piece of work. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for Xbox is an example of a shooter within a similar generation that looks infinitely better.

Parham

Banned
Dax01 said:
I knew posting in that Junior thread would come in handy.

Thanks! Downloaded, it works.:D

No problem. Just make sure that you set it so it only blocks that image and not everything from TinyPic.

CHRP718

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I declare this battle to be a tie. The real war will be Forza versus Gran Turismo.

There will be blood!
lulz
GT5 selling over 10 million and Forza barely selling 2.5 million is not a battle.

Snipes424

Haunted said:
It's kinda sad to see that the objectively and undeniably best out of the three sandbox games released sold the least amount of copies.

Just goes to show you, sales do not equal quality.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Good Infamous numbers. It should be a long burn. Also good to see Red Faction on there. Wish it had done a bit better though. Hopefully the PS3 one is at least doing somewhat decently.

thejared

another good month for Sony. No need to for price drops just yet, entry for their product is twice the cost of the competition and yet they maintain a distance of 50k-75k units each month.

Hold out at this price as long as you can until the 360 starts outselling you 2:1 relative to their price advantage.

keep up the good work boys.

Agent X

It's great to see inFamous is still rolling along in its second month on the charts!

I myself haven't bought or even played Prototype yet. That's not because I don't want it, or it looks "trashy", or it got a lower Metacritic score than inFamous...but for the simple fact that I don't have a lot of bucks to toss around. That's it.

Seriously, what's the big deal with all this bickering about these two games? If you love inFamous, then that's great. If you love Prototype, then that's great too. They both appear to be doing reasonably well right now. I'm sure Sucker Punch and Radical Entertainment are happy with the results.

I'm surprised at least one version of Ghostbusters didn't make the top 10. I never did return the PS3 version back to the store (as I said I would do in the official thread), but opened it up and enjoyed it. It's not GOTY material by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a good fun time anyway. If the sales of the game across multiple platforms were over 400K, then that's not too bad...maybe it'll pick up for the holidays.

With regard to The Conduit...hmm. I'll be honest, even though I enjoy the game, I didn't think it would make the top 10. It had some competition from Prototype and a few EA games, and let's not forget that it came out pretty late in the tracking period. Even though it fell outside of the top 10, I'm still hoping that it does well enough to be considered a success.

Papercuts said:
Wait, take a quick look at his post history and search for prototype. :lol

^
From the IGN review thread, posted the day the game released.

^
From May.

This is pretty fun!

If I didn't know better I'd say there is a pattern to these posts. "I played it on my friends console" indeed.

hahaha

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for Xbox

Now here's a game I really need to try out. I think the whole genre is pretty damn shitty overall, but this is one that kinda calls out to me.

thejared said:
another good month for Sony. No need to for price drops just yet, entry for their product is twice the cost of the competition and yet they maintain a distance of 50k-75k units each month.

Hold out at this price as long as you can until the 360 starts outselling you 2:1 relative to their price advantage.

Now this what you call award winning fanboy work right here. This is a true console warrior people!

thejared said:
I've seen quite of few pics now of Forza 3 with the cars taillights illuminated and each of them look funky, and seemingly void of any realistic representation of light. Look at the brake light there, its as if they just swap in a reddish pink circle where the bulb would be, not to mention it doesnt reflect at all inside the taillight housing nor does it seem to even have a plastic housing around the tails.

a lot of racing games have the same problems, but I've never seen a game do taillights quite like Forza.

the only game I've seen get it right is the GT series, all the way back to GT3, which is as far as i can remember, the taillights appeared as if there were bulbs inside actually creating the illumination.

this is now their 3rd try here, and they just cant seem to get any glass/plastic/reflecting surface correct, so i wonder if its just not possible for them to change it.

thejared said:
all i'm saying is they have some pretty funky lighting issues going on that is probably bigger than just the taillights, which ultimately makes the cars look strange and easily noticeable as computer generated.

its probably also at the core of them not allowing any progressive lighting/weather changes either. something many other games have already accomplished this gen.

surely they dont seem like the type of company to let others beat them in flashy bullet point features, so it seems they just can't do realistic lighting.

thejared said:
still loving killzone to death, and this new lobby patch has even made me play more. the game is practically flawless.

pakkit

Banned
Quick, men! If we can get Amir0x to admit that his hyperbolic rant against The Conduit was ever so slightly trolling, then we can ban him! He can't get us all!

EDIT: I stand down, he likes Stranger's Wrath.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Now here's a game I really need to try out. I think the whole genre is pretty damn shitty overall, but this is one that kinda calls out to me.

It is a pretty fun game, definitely waaaaaaaay better than Munch's Odyssey *shudder*

thejared said:

6nsfa6e.gif

Cant0na

Banned
thejared said:

miiamotofk1.gif

CHRP718 said:
Did you play it? I haven't seen you post in the inFAMOUS thread.

I've played both, and if fun is the standard of what is better, then Prototype was better for me. And no, you haven't seen me in either thread because my account was approved today :0

drakesfortune

AniHawk said:

Definitely check it out. It's a very unique take on the genre, it's fairly funny in parts, and it's a damn nice looking game from last gen. I played it for the first time about a year ago and loved it.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
It is a pretty fun game, definitely waaaaaaaay better than Munch's Odyssey *shudder*

I've never played a single Oddworld, so I wouldn't know. It's not a BC title is it? ...Or even downloadable? Good thing I kept my ol' Xbox around.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I waited a whole year in registration purgatory so I could post these gifs I found at fourchannel in the npd thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
pakkit said:
Quick, men! If we can get Amir0x to admit that his hyperbolic rant against The Conduit was ever so slightly trolling, then we can ban him! He can't get us all!

he's too tricksy to admit such a thing.

drakesfortune

AniHawk said:
I've never played a single Oddworld, so I wouldn't know. It's not a BC title is it? ...Or even downloadable? Good thing I kept my ol' Xbox around.

No BC and it's never going to happen. They did some funky things according to the dev that all but made it impossible.

Top Bottom