• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Johann

AniHawk said:
I've never played a single Oddworld, so I wouldn't know. It's not a BC title is it? ...Or even downloadable? Good thing I kept my ol' Xbox around.

IIRC, Oddworld Munch's Oddysee is the only BC title.

cool, so we've moved on to Forza 3 vs GT5?

Well, I'll throw something in the ring. Even though I despise both games, I think it's silly to assume Forza will sell even REMOTELY close to what GT will sell.

Christ, I mean, of all the Sony franchises Sonybots cling to for dear life, MGS and GT are pretty much rock solid guaranteed shoe ins (is that even grammatically correct?)

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I've never played a single Oddworld, so I wouldn't know. It's not a BC title is it? ...Or even downloadable? Good thing I kept my ol' Xbox around.

I'm surprised. Actually, outside of the excessive flatulence jokes everywhere the first two titles are extremely well designed 2D platform/puzzler/adventures (I can't even pinpoint the genre), and I think you'd like them from what I know of your taste.

The 3D games lose a bit (or a lot, as is the case of Munch's Odyssey). However, Stranger's Wrath came pretty close to the quality of the old titles. Besides the trademark "wit", the game had very original weapons for the genre and was generally clever with its progression.

sprsk said:
I waited a whole year in registration purgatory so I could post these gifs I found at fourchannel in the npd thread.
                            /
21954sy.jpg

Ninja Scooter said:
LOL the Conduit more like the "Cant-do-it" (can't sell copies, i mean)

You mean the Cons-do-it. I don't think anyone wanted to play a game where a bunch of Convicts do it. You have to be locked up first to even consider it. Woe is Wii.

Maybe people were turned off by the Inphallus hype/peer pressure. Like I can't imagine how hard it is to be a PS fanboy these days. You gotta feel for some of them. I bet you'll hear of gamer suicides brought on by peer pressure to BUY X GAME OR DIE in the near future if things don't improve. If I was a PS3 fanboy, I'd probably go to prison for going postal on all the SDF Mafia knocking over my possessions and holding a gun to my head to BUY PS EXCLUSIVE OR DIE FUCKA.

Prototype...moar leik Pros-to-hype such a good game.

Let us all kneel before the altar of Pro-to-hype for it was made by a better gaming GOD than Inphallus. Clearly the Gods have chosen to play Wii Fit, so we must obey the new casual laws or face eternal punishment. Come, my fellow hardcores. Let us hold each other tightly until this harsh storm passes. The PS3 Mafia and the Wii Cougars will kill each other if we are lucky. The X360 will self-destruct one day and take all the racists on Live with it. We shall overcome. WE are the champions, my friends. We'll keep on hiding til the end.

Sadist said:
Oh, I thought the poster was reffering to the Ghostbusters "bomba". :lol

in fairness, I was being somewhat tongue in cheek
since I worked on the game and have INSIDER INFORMATION!!11
Although I am surprised that the 360 version didn't make the top 10.

xs_mini_neo said:
You mean the Cons-do-it. I don't think anyone wanted to play a game where a bunch of Convicts do it. You have to be locked up first to even consider it. Woe is Wii.

Maybe people were turned off by the Inphallus hype/peer pressure. Like I can't imagine how hard it is to be a PS fanboy these days. You gotta feel for some of them. I bet you'll hear of gamer suicides brought on by peer pressure to BUY X GAME OR DIE in the near future if things don't improve. If I was a PS3 fanboy, I'd probably go to prison for going postal on all the SDF Mafia knocking over my possessions and holding a gun to my head to BUY PS EXCLUSIVE OR DIE FUCKA.

Let us all kneel before the altar of Pro-to-hype for it was made by a better gaming GOD than Inphallus. Clearly the Gods have chosen to play Wii Fit, so we must obey the new casual laws or face eternal punishment. Come, my fellow hardcores. Let us hold each other tightly until this harsh storm passes. The PS3 Mafia and the Wii Cougars will kill each other if we are lucky. The X360 will self-destruct one day and take all the racists on Live with it. We shall overcome. WE are the champions, my friends. We'll keep on hiding til the end.

now see here, this, this is a post

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I'm surprised. Actually, outside of the excessive flatulence jokes everywhere the first two titles are extremely well designed 2D platform/puzzler/adventures (I can't even pinpoint the genre), and I think you'd like them from what I know of your taste.

The 3D games lose a bit (or a lot, as is the case of Munch's Odyssey). However, Stranger's Wrath came pretty close to the quality of the old titles. Besides the trademark "wit", the game had very original weapons for the genre and was generally clever with its progression.

I played Abe's Oddysee a loooooooooooong time ago at a Target and I was baffled at what to do. I remembered what it was because of the art style though. I just never picked it up because I didn't have a system that could play it until 2002. Even then, I was only buying RPGs that had come out for the PSX. I should go back and find some of those platformers if possible (Tomba's supposed to be good too). I'm just not all that thrilled about facing long load times in platformers.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
xs_mini_neo said:

are... are you feeling okay?

The way 'core' labelled games sell on Wii reminds me exactly of the GameCube days... they don't make the charts, and they don't sell much at all - unless they are from Nintendo (because the Nintendo ones were never really that core anyway, excluding Metroid).

So essentially, Nintendo is pretty much the same as before - they're still selling virtually the same types of things, but they've also got this new 'expanded' area that sells bucket loads.

If I was Nintendo I'd be pretty happy with my current situation in the market, it's exactly what they wanted a point of difference.

I don't see why so many people on GAF find the Wii so offensive? Simply put, it's not for the type of games that most core gamers are after so what's the big deal that it's selling so much and 'winning' the market. To me it seems like Microsoft and Sony are doing pretty well - games sell a shit load of copies on Xbox 360 and PS3 when they are good. It's obviously enough to keep the 'core' developers developing core games for 360 and PS3.

Making more 'core' games for Wii is just a silly proposition and I don't understand why developers do it more than wanting to take sales from the niche market that is on Wii for those games. Expecting The Conduit to sell big figures even at all is ludicrous.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I played Abe's Oddysee a loooooooooooong time ago at a Target and I was baffled at what to do. I remembered what it was because of the art style though. I just never picked it up because I didn't have a system that could play it until 2002, and even then, I was only buying RPGs that had come out for the PSX. I should go back and find some of those platformers if possible (Tomba's supposed to be good too). I'm just not all that thrilled about facing long load times in platformers.

yeah i always forget about pesky PSOne era load times :(

Foffy

Banned
soul creator said:
in fairness, I was being somewhat tongue in cheek
since I worked on the game and have INSIDER INFORMATION!!11
Although I am surprised that the 360 version didn't make the top 10.

Maybe the fears that it'd be like most games based on movies scorned the game before it came out?

Personally, after playing the awful NES games, I am on the fence for a new Ghostbusters game. I guess I'll try the demo to see if my worries have merit.

dumbass_

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
cool, so we've moved on to Forza 3 vs GT5?

It's really sad nobody cares about UFC 2009 vs Final Night because none of them is exclusive unlike GT vs Forza or InFamous vs Prototype -.-;

Stay on topic people and enjoy our lovely industry is still doing well and spread the love and joy of this wonderful day

Xbox 360 sales up and Nintendo sales down.

Hmm . . . I wonder if the fact that they pulled the plug on analog television caused some people to buy HDTVs and then they picked up a 360 too?

Of course the crappy PS3 sales don't fit in well . . . but this $399 price tag probably hurts.

Slavik81

The Conduit was seized on by some Wii fans and haters which tried to use it as an example of either third parties making awesome games or an example of how the Wii will marginalize third parties.

In reality, The Conduit's performance has little to do with it's platform. That is, even on PS3 or 360, it would be a boring-looking shooter with a few nice features. It could never burn up the charts like an Assassin's Creed and it's silly for people to think it could "if it weren't for the Wii audience".

Why when we are talking about the quality of games do sales mean nothing when they are the indicator of how many people are actually interested in the game. Sales is always pointed to as a flawed method.

Yet instead we prefer to use reviews which we know are shonky and often payed for. With reviewers being to afraid to give scores that will ruffle any feathers.

We also like to use metascores from metacritic despite the fact it is based on a tiny sample size of hardcore gamers. Halo 3's ranking for example is based on only 2000 votes.

Prototype has only had what like 200 votes. I don't see how this can be used as an indication of anything.

speculawyer said:

Hmm . . . I wonder if the fact that they pulled the plug on analog television caused some people to buy HDTVs and then they picked up a 360 too?

:lol

Are you for real? A 360? No Wai! They would have bought a PS3, it has BluRay!

Foffy said:
Maybe the fears that it'd be like most games based on movies scorned the game before it came out?

Personally, after playing the awful NES games, I am on the fence for a new Ghostbusters game. I guess I'll try the demo to see if my worries have merit.

Well I think we at least have the NES game beat. That's not exactly a high bar though...

boiled goose

good with gravy
CorporalDork said:
The way 'core' labelled games sell on Wii reminds me exactly of the GameCube days... they don't make the charts, and they don't sell much at all - unless they are from Nintendo (because the Nintendo ones were never really that core anyway, excluding Metroid).

So essentially, Nintendo is pretty much the same as before - they're still selling virtually the same types of things, but they've also got this new 'expanded' area that sells bucket loads.

If I was Nintendo I'd be pretty happy with my current situation in the market, it's exactly what they wanted a point of difference.

I don't see why so many people on GAF find the Wii so offensive? Simply put, it's not for the type of games that most core gamers are after so what's the big deal that it's selling so much and 'winning' the market. To me it seems like Microsoft and Sony are doing pretty well - games sell a shit load of copies on Xbox 360 and PS3 when they are good. It's obviously enough to keep the 'core' developers developing core games for 360 and PS3.

Making more 'core' games for Wii is just a silly proposition and I don't understand why developers do it more than wanting to take sales from the niche market that is on Wii for those games. Expecting The Conduit to sell big figures even at all is ludicrous.

wow...
what is with the large number of new members appearing today

jercruz

CorporalDork said:
I don't see why so many people on GAF find the Wii so offensive?

disruption. IMHO, gaf and game makers expected sony to lead again. or maybe even out with microsoft. they expected nintendo to go away.

AdventureRacing said:
Why when we are talking about the quality of games do sales mean nothing when they are the indicator of how many people are actually interested in the game. Sales is always pointed to as a flawed method.

Yet instead we prefer to use reviews which we know are shonky and often payed for. With reviewers being to afraid to give scores that will ruffle any feathers.

We also like to use metascores from metacritic despite the fact it is based on a tiny sample size of hardcore gamers. Halo 3's ranking for example is based on only 2000 votes.

Prototype has only had what like 200 votes. I don't see how this can be used as an indication of anything.

I agree partially with this.

Sales = Quality

But sometimes too many Sales =/= Quality

Deep.

speculawyer said:

Of course the crappy PS3 sales don't fit in well . . . but this $399 price tag probably hurts.

Occam's razor fails again I suppose.

amtentori said:
wow...
what is with the large number of new members appearing today

Some people were recently accepted, and of course, they feel it's their duty to mouth off in the NPD thread, even if they clearly have no clue what's going on (not directed at anyone in particular).

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
AniHawk said:
I played Abe's Oddysee a loooooooooooong time ago at a Target and I was baffled at what to do. I remembered what it was because of the art style though. I just never picked it up because I didn't have a system that could play it until 2002. Even then, I was only buying RPGs that had come out for the PSX. I should go back and find some of those platformers if possible (Tomba's supposed to be good too). I'm just not all that thrilled about facing long load times in platformers.

Both of the original Oddword's are on Steam. I picked them up earlier this year or last year for $2.50 a piece, I think. That was a sale, but I think it's only $10 for the 2 pack or something.

gkryhewy

speculawyer said:

That is a huge reach. I mean wow, what a reach.

Anyway, looks like both 360 and Wii weekly sales are roughly flat month-over-month.

AceBandage said:
Some people were recently accepted, and of course, they feel it's their duty to mouth off in the NPD thread, even if they clearly have no clue what's going on (not directed at anyone in particular).

That doesn't stop some old-timers, either.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Jive Turkey said:
Megatron :lol That's what it is? Man it was too stretched and distorted for me to make it out.
Oh and now I expect great things from Ijuti.

She's got a 4:3 SD t-shirt on a Cinemascope HD body.
She blames Sony.

AniHawk

drakesfortune said:
Both of the original Oddword's are on Steam. I picked them up earlier this year or last year for $2.50 a piece, I think. That was a sale, but I think it's only $10 for the 2 pack or something.

Yeah I have a Mac. My laptop has bootcamp, but I can't find XP.

Paznos said:
Sony could drop the price of the PS3 and people still would get the 360 versions because of Achievements and Live and the perception that the 360 version is better.
I think the viral effect of people wanting to play with their friends that already have 360s is a big factor.

Online multi-player is big . . . and you have to get the same console as your friends to play against them.

Right now, the PS3 is a much better value than the 360 right now (wireless included, free online, Blu-Ray, great media player features, etc.) but the ability to play against your friends is more important.

pakkit said:
Quick, men! If we can get Amir0x to admit that his hyperbolic rant against The Conduit was ever so slightly trolling, then we can ban him! He can't get us all!

EDIT: I stand down, he likes Stranger's Wrath.
(neutral) pakkit
Banned
(Today, 09:39 PM)

Looks like Amir0x made him pakkit up, ehehehehe!
                              \
                        
vb3mu.png

Zhuk

Banned
Great to see the 360 pulling in some positive growth and the Wii is still trouncing the competition even in a recessionary environment. Looks like the PS3 had yet another YoY month where it sales declined, which makes it even more difficult for Sony to be able to meet that 13 million sales target which some on the forums fervently believe will be a reality.

I still am betting Sony is unable to meet that 13 million as it is yet another month they have lost which makes any gains from a $299 PS3/Slim that might be coming won't make the difference up, at this rate it's going to be hard for them to meet last years shipments of 10 million units.

boiled goose

good with gravy
speculawyer said:
Right now, the PS3 is a much better value than the 360 right now (wireless included, free online, Blu-Ray, great media player features, etc.) but the ability to play against your friends is more important.

abso-fucking-lutely!

this is neogaf :S

Top Bottom