• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

dumbass_

Banned
CorporalDork said:
Historically close too 100% correct... Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 and then Metroid Prime 3.

So then... how does Metroid Prime Trilogy fit into this equation... mmmmmm

This is interesting

I think same thing happened with onimusha (Any gaffer got onimusha data?)
Maybe if they release new Onimusha for PS3/360 it will start selling millions again :lol :lol

Psychotext said:
Wait... what?

i3sazd.jpg

Angeles said:
Are you familiar with with Final Fantasy sales?

FF7 sales>FF8>FF9

Even FF10 which was released 1 year after PS2 launch sold more than FF12 with 10x the user base

There is something special about Next Gen game , once you have it the magic is gone for next sequel

Do you think people will scream omg etc over graphic when GT6 get released like when GT5 was revealed? :lol

Even MGS2 sold much more than MGS3 with bigger user base

Just saying you used a few bad examples there. Final Fantasy VIII sold better in almost every region compared to VII and Metal Gear Solid 4 has done better than 3, and is approaching what 2 did.

Now for something completely different:

User-base is a common argument most people put up in defense of bad sales. Scaling will always favor the lowest selling console. This is because a larger user-base doesn't instantly mean more sales, it means a smaller percentage of the console owners will have interest in certain genres. Instead a larger user base creates more even and consistent sales across the board. It diversifies the range of gamers and creates stability for the platform.

Sales of sequels on consoles will naturally decline with each new iteration as gamers either lose interest in the series or don't want to buy the sequel until the beat the first game. There are some rare instances that disprove this theory (such as Final Fantasy VIII) because of marketing voodoo or increase in popularity of the series through word of mouth or whatever. In general though, sequels in this industry decline in popularity, especially franchises that don't make huge leaps of faith in each new offering or haven't created any buzz in the market.

scitek

I'm not expecting Metroid Prime Trilogy to sell that much at all. It might outsell MP2, but I think it'll fall short of MP3. I really don't think the series is that interesting to a lot of people outside of the more enthusiast gamers. Not that they're not well-liked, they just haven't ever had that mass audience appeal for whatever reason.

FrankT

Tobor said:
Finally, after an eternity of waiting, a new Snah/TJhooker. It's like Christmas morning!

I take personal responsibility for the Snah permaban. Those pics never forget. :lol

Raist said:
Dunno man. AFAWK GT5P probably sold more than FM2, sooo... Granted, the 360 install base is bigger now, but still.

Kind of doubt it with all those Forza 2 bundles out there.

dumbass_

Banned
Stopsign said:
Just saying you used a few bad examples there. Final Fantasy VIII sold better in almost every region compared to VII and Metal Gear Solid 4 has done better than 3, and is approaching what 2 did.

FF7 sold more than 8 "total sales" with much smaller user base
And MGS4 doesn't count , that's the whole argument First game in the series released on next gen always seems to sell the most (Which means MGS5 will sell less if we use this theory)

The rest of what you said is only a theory while my theory is properly wrong on why first games from sequels sell more we can not deny they do sell more for a reason we don't really know and user base means nothing for these famous games

scitek said:
I'm not expecting Metroid Prime Trilogy to sell that much at all. It might outsell MP2, but I think it'll fall short of MP3. I really don't think the series is that interesting to a lot of people outside of the more enthusiast gamers. Not that they're not well-liked, they just haven't ever had that mass audience appeal for whatever reason.

Right, but I think given the value of the package, that we'll see people jump on it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Digital-Hero said:
It's an fps on Wii, you guys didn't see that coming? Come on. :lol Exercise games from Nintendo will sell more.

(My comment has nothing to do with the quality of the game but the people who buy Wii's. )

hmmm

exercise games from nintendo will sell more than pretty much everything, on any console

Banned
thejared said:
"this generation ends when microsoft says so"

liberal translation: "when the gap gets too close, we claim victory by releasing a new box."

:lol The gap is getting bigger not smaller so does that mean this gen will last forever?

Tobor

thejared said:
Well obviously you don't speak "bundlese".

Forzundle 3 salundles will be boostundled by the holidundle, giving it artifitundle numbundles.

Don't ever stop posting, you beast. Don't ever stop.

WrikaWrek

Banned
thejared said:

Forzundle 3 salundles will be boostundled by the holidundle, giving it artifitundle numbundles.

Hell yeah. How do you think Sony games end up selling so much? Bundlaton

markatisu

Fredescu said:
This post was years ago in relative terms, but I'm pretty sure SEGA has since said that Mad World's sales were a disappointment, which IMO gives a bit more weight to their claim that HoTD met expectations.

Not to mention the fact SEGA said last month when the game hit $29 it sold and became profitable. But WTF does SEGA know, it did not sell 1m or hit the Top 20 so it failed

Angeles said:
FF7 sold more than 8 total sales which much smaller user base
And MGS4 doesn't count , that's the whole argument First game in the series released on next gen always seems to sell the most (Which means MGS5 will sell less if we use this theory)

Japan:

PSX - Dragon Quest VII 3.893.293
PSX - Final Fantasy VIII 3.501.588
PSX - Final Fantasy VII 3.277.776

...shit, looks like you were right about NA though

PSX FINAL FANTASY VII 2,447,963
PSX FINAL FANTASY VIII 1,903,889

I was close though.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
Finally, after an eternity of waiting, a new Snah/TJhooker. It's like Christmas morning!
Well Snah did claim to have like 20 alternates waiting in the wings...

thejared said:

Oooooo! Can we keep him?

Calcaneus

Wow, NPD really brings out the NeoFAQs.

What the hell was that whole:

"360 lamer is a fat chick/
PS3 gamer is Brad Pitt"

shit about? Are we in the third grade?

Yeah, I got rhyming talent. Its a gift.

Couldn't find a sony one yet.

Nintendo DS Franchise Sells More than All Home Consoles Combined in June

In the United States in June, the Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo DSi™ systems combined to sell more than 766,000 units, more than all current-generation consoles combined, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. U.S. consumers purchased more than 424,000 Nintendo DSi systems and more than 342,000 Nintendo DS systems in June.

Wii™ marked its 21st consecutive month as the top-selling U.S. home console, with nearly 362,000 sold. Consumers also snapped up nearly 374,000 Wii MotionPlus™ accessories, including nearly 205,000 packaged with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 from Electronic Arts and 169,000 additional accessories sold on their own. The Wii Sports Resort™ game launches July 26 and comes packaged with Wii MotionPlus.

“More consumers continued to gravitate toward products that offer quality experiences and great value for the whole family,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Consumers again selected Nintendo systems for those experiences, particularly our hand-helds.”

Four games published for Nintendo platforms finished in the top 10 best-sellers of June in the United States. These include EA Sports Active at No. 3 with more than 289,000 sold, Wii Fit™ at No. 4 with more than 271,000 sold, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 with Wii MotionPlus at No. 7 with nearly 205,000 sold and Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 8 with more than 202,000 sold.

June NPD - Xbox 360: The Industry’s Sole Bright Spot in 2009 as June Sales Rise 9 Percent Year-Over-Year

June NPD results are in and Xbox 360 highlights include:

•Xbox 360 system sales rose 9 percent year-over-year in June, hitting 241,000 units
•Xbox 360 system sales increased 20 percent in the first half of 2009, making it the only console to show growth this year
•The number of paid downloads over Xbox LIVE in the first half soared 73 percent from a year earlier as the leading online gaming and entertainment service continues to expand

Value drives Xbox 360

Xbox 360 has emerged as an industry bright spot in 2009 as the only home console showing growth in the U.S. so far this year, with sales reaching 241,000 units in June and jumping 20 percent year-over-year in the first six months. Our key to success: value. Featuring a $199 starting price, the biggest line-up of top-rated games, an expansive online experience, Xbox 360 continues to resonate with consumers looking to get more entertainment value for their money. Our announcement of exciting new offerings at E3 such as Facebook, Twitter, streaming music from last.fm, and instant-on1080p HD, has only strengthened the value and experiences on Xbox 360 offers.

Games on Xbox 360

Xbox 360 claimed four of the top 10 console games for June, including “Prototype” from Activision, “Fight Night 4” from Electronic Arts, and “UFC 2009 Undisputed” and “Red Faction: Guerilla.”. Sales of third-party games, a key measure of platform health, totaled $168 million for Xbox 360 in June. In fact, Xbox 360 has led third-party games sales every month in 2009. With a blockbuster line-up of exclusives for the second half of the year that includes “Halo 3: ODST,” “Forza Motorsport 3,” and “Left 4 Dead 2,” and “Splinter Cell Conviction,” Xbox 360 will be home to some of the most anticipated upcoming titles. These titles underscore the fact that Xbox 360 has the most top-rated games of any current-generation console with 150 titles earning a score of 80 or above on Metacritic.

Consumers flock to Xbox LIVE’s entertainment experiences

With an active user base of 20 million people, Xbox LIVE continues to build on its position as the leading online gaming and entertainment service. In the 12 months through June, the number of unique users who downloaded content over Xbox LIVE hit nearly 17 million, and in the first half alone, the number of paid downloads jumped 73 percent year-over-year. In addition to all the downloadable games available on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Xbox LIVE members also enjoy more than 30,000 pieces of entertainment content from more than 65 movie studios and TV networks. Included in this number are the more than 12,000 movies and TV shows streamed through an exclusive partnership with Netflix. Xbox 360 owners also have the ability to instantly extend the life of their favorite titles with Game Add-ons. Moreover, this fall will see the debut of innovative new Xbox LIVE features such as Facebook and Twitter custom-built for the living room, streaming music with Last.fm and party sharing of music and video, a breadth of new experiences that are set to sustain this momentum through 2009 and beyond.

Fredescu

markatisu said:
Not to mention the fact SEGA said last month when the game hit $29 it sold and became profitable. But WTF does SEGA know, it did not sell 1m or hit the Top 20 so it failed
"It" being HoTD right?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Calcaneus said:
Wow, NPD really brings out the NeoFAQs.

What the hell was that whole:

"360 lamer is a fat chick/
PS3 gamer is Brad Pitt"

shit about? Are we in the third grade?

Yeah, I got rhyming talent. Its a gift.

"Ps3 launches in the club, Wii in toys r us"

- Ps3 fan at launch

Never forget.

AceBandage said:
Well obviously, 90% of Wii owners are 13 year old girls.

According to my time working at Circuit city.

50% of Wii owners are male.
50% are female.
100% are over the age of 50.

440,089 across all platforms. It was on IGN before they edited it.

Wow that's pretty good. There might be hope for a sequel after all.

bhhawks78 said:
That value argument really is absurd, many people either don't have wireless or have the router far enough away that any real competitive game requires wired. Also free online, as someone who loves my ps3 i would GLADLY pay 25$ every 13 months like i do for XBL (ebay ftw) if the services were made equivalent. As for media player features i never have bothered but for the sake of argument i do know a dozen or so 360 users (and even 1 guy who just uses the xbox 1) who use their system for that but no ps3 users. Blu ray is the one place this argument makes sense even though players can be bought for 100$ now.
Well, even going by your slam-the-PS3 accounting, you at least see $125 value that the PS3 has ($25 for online and $100 for Blu-Ray), that means the PS3 is $399 - $125 = $274. . . which is cheaper than the 360 that comes with a hard drive. (And that is ignoring subsequent years of online gaming, the wireless, etc.)

So thanks for agreeing with me that PS3 is a better value.

Raist

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Couldn't find a sony one yet.

Expect a comparison with last month's numbers (30~50% increase for each platform) because a comparison with last year's would be ugly. (MGS4 etc)

WrikaWrek said:
"Ps3 launches in the club, Wii in toys r us"

- Ps3 fan at launch

Never forget.

Well, they were right.
Just that it happens that the club is exclusive and expensive, while everyone wants to be a Toys 'R Us kid.
:p

AwRy108

WrikaWrek said:
Saw a dude buy 2 360's the other day, asked why, he answered "Cuz 2 ain't enough to express my love for the system".

How are Ps3 owners supposed to compete with a user base that has so much hard cash to throw away?

...sadly, there's no way to compete with financial stupidity. If there was, the US wouldn't be in a recession. Mr. Double-360 Consumer that you referred to is most likely using our tax dollars to buy those machines...

The Forza comment was a lame bait, and it seems some of you fell for it. Tsk, Tsk. No sane person belives that will happen, GT5:p(Glorified demo) numbers alone are proof of that.

Raist said:
Expect a comparison with last month's numbers (30~50% increase for each platform) because a comparison with last year's would be ugly. (MGS4 etc)

Well I did find this but I assume they will put out something more formal

Sony’s Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications & Social Media for SCEA, has responded to the June NPD that released earlier tonight. In his response, he claims that, “PlayStation is delivering an unmatched caliber of content for the back half of the year” and he is confident that the PlayStation brand is, “on pace for another tremendous year”.

“Coming out of E3, there’s no doubt PlayStation is delivering an unmatched caliber of content for the back half of the year.

With positive momentum of PS3 hardware over the past two months, and continued enthusiasm for breakout exclusive games like inFAMOUS, we’re on pace for another tremendous year across our platforms.

We’re remaining focused on providing great entertainment to consumers and are confident in delivering again on that promise this year.”

Top Bottom