• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

dolemite

AwRy108 said:
...sadly, there's no way to compete with financial stupidity. If there was, the US wouldn't be in a recession. Mr. Double-360 Consumer that you referred to is most likely using our tax dollars to buy those machines...
If they were two arcades then I don't see where the harm is. He would burn just as much cash on a PS3.

zero_suit

FateBreaker said:
The difference between Wii and 360 is becoming thinner and thinner. I think that's worth something.

Not when one of those platforms still hasn't played any of its cards yet (price drop, colors, bundles, etc.)...

Slavik81

AceBandage said:
I can believe they did it.
What I can't believe is that they think doing a DD only handheld is viable at this point, especially with that god awful battery life...
No, that's pretty believable.
What I can't believe is that they think a DD-only handheld is viable at that price.
The shear number of otherwise interested people who've balked at it is a bad sign.

Angeles said:
The rest of what you said is only a theory while my theory is properly wrong on why first games from sequels sell more we can not deny they do sell more for a reason we don't really know and user base means nothing for these famous games

Like I said, there are some series that sort of buck the trend on this. They tend to be games that create lots of press and get lots of attention.

1. GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS 6,970,424
2. GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE 6,831,805
3. GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 5,654,218

1. HALO 4,391,681
2. HALO 2 3,890,734
4. HALO 2 LIMITED ED 1,707,330

These are two really obvious examples of this.

I think we do know why in general the first game of a series sells the best. Before the release of any new IP there is always at least a bit of a buzz around it because it's unknown. A person can't immediately dismiss the series due to not liking the first game in the series. This just creates a natural decline, the series has to differentiate itself enough from game to game to spark any re-interest for the consumer. If EA gets completely lazy with Madden and just adds roster changes in each new version, less and less people are going to want to buy it with each new iteration. Just like people who tried to play through Metal Gear Solid 2, but couldn't finish it or just didn't like it period are not going to try Metal Gear Solid 3.

CrushDance said:
The Forza comment was a lame bait, and it seems some of you fell for it. Tsk, Tsk. No sane person belives that will happen, GT5:p(Glorified demo) numbers alone are proof of that.

Forza 3 will outsell GT5.

No it won't.

Hmmm, I guess no one posted this yet (from vg247.com)
During the month of June, PS3 moved 164,700 units, with PSP moving 163,500 and PS2 still going strong with 152,700 units moved.

“Coming out of E3, there’s no doubt PlayStation is delivering an unmatched caliber of content for the back half of the year,” commented Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications & Social Media at SCEA, on the June numbers.

“With positive momentum of PS3 hardware over the past two months, and continued enthusiasm for breakout exclusive games like inFAMOUS, we’re on pace for another tremendous year across our platforms.

“We’re remaining focused on providing great entertainment to consumers and are confident in delivering again on that promise this year.”

inFamous, the PS3 exclusive was once again moving 192,700 copies compared to last month’s 175,900 copies.

PSP moved 63,100 more units compared to last month, with PS3 sales up by 33,700 units, and PS2 up by 35,700 units compared to last month.

“With positive momentum of PS3 hardware over the past two months, and continued enthusiasm for breakout exclusive games like inFAMOUS, we’re on pace for another tremendous year across our platforms.

I wasn't aware you had a tremendous year involving the PS3 yet. I'm not even sure you had a year involving the PSP as 'tremendous'.

DemonSwordsman said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Is this a joke? Forza 2 barely outsold GT5:prologue which i'm sure you consider to be a pay for demo no? :lol :lol

360 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2 618,000

Take this for what you will. To me it means you guys are hyping a sequel to a game that barely even made a blip when it was first released. Not even the original Forza had all that much horse power sales wise.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Raist said:
Your scribbletar lacks boobs.

/OT
She has them...They're just...Scribble-sized.

Tobor said:
What happened to your tag?
Um...I have no idea. :(

I was looking forward to all the new juniors thinking I'm posting while banned (ala Drinky) or thinking I'm homophobic.

Stopsign said:
360 FORZA MOTORSPORT 2 618,000

Take this for what you will. To me it means you guys are hyping a sequel to a game that barely even made a blip when it was first released. Not even the original Forza had all that much horse power sales wise.

I dunno if your trying to say i'm hyping forza 3.... because i said the exact opposite..

dumbass_

Banned
Stopsign said:
Like I said, there are some series that sort of buck the trend on this. They tend to be games that create lots of press and get lots of attention.

1. GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS 6,970,424
2. GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE 6,831,805
3. GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 5,654,218

1. HALO 4,391,681
2. HALO 2 3,890,734
4. HALO 2 LIMITED ED 1,707,330

These are two really obvious examples of this.

I think we do know why in general the first game of a series sells the best. Before the release of any new IP there is always at least a bit of a buzz around it because it's unknown. A person can't immediately dismiss the series due to not liking the first game in the series. This just creates a natural decline, the series has to differentiate itself enough from game to game to spark any re-interest for the consumer. If EA gets completely lazy with Madden and just adds roster changes in each new version, less and less people are going to want to buy it with each new iteration. Just like people who tried to play through Metal Gear Solid 2, but couldn't finish it or just didn't like it period are not going to try Metal Gear Solid 3.

It's not black or white, your example of grand theft auto is logical, a good series that keep selling more as user base grows make sense but with GT+FF it's weird

I was only replying to the guy who is saying that GT wont sell much because the user base is small and i just gave him that a cross 2 generations at least with FF and GT they always sold more when user base was much smaller (sound funny but true)

Now why did such a thing happened we really don't know but we all have our theories :D

Narag

Stopsign said:
Man, swap Forza out for the first Killzone and its like reading threads on here for the past two years.

JoJo13 said:
Hopes and dreams of many seeing another sub-100k PS3 month are fading.

8 straight months of being down yoy is a fine consolation prize. And unless it sells 225k next month which seems unlikely that will be the 9th.

Its best chance to break that lucky number trend at 10 will be August at 185.4K.

JoJo13

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
8 straight months of being down yoy is a fine consolation prize. And unless it sells 225k next month which seems unlikely that will be the 9th.

Its best chance to break that lucky number trend at 10 will be August at 185.4K.

8 Straight months YoY isn't really all that surprising, and it isn't like the 360 is doing monster numbers either (respectable tho).

For a console that hasn't received a price drop in roughly 2 years and is still at the freaking price the 360 launched at, it's not faring all that bad. Many people were just waiting to see another month with sub-100k figures. Not gonna happen.

It'll be YoY losses until the Slim + price drop comes out, and then you'll see it doing more sales than it ever has.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
VALIS said:
It's like listening to Michael Steele talk about how strong the Republican party currently is.

No it's like listening to Democrats tell everyone how their health care boondoggle will save us all tons of money while taxing our health card benefits and thereby making them have the biggest increase they'll probably ever see in a single year.

Or it's like listening to Democrats say they gave 95% of us a tax cut (that extra $15 a month sure are sweet) while passing cap and trade, which will result in massive increases in our energy bills, gas bills, and increase the costs of EVERYTHING we buy (except solar panels and windmills and cars that run on patchouli), and at the same time looking at taxing our health care benefits.

drakesfortune said:
No it's like listening to Democrats tell everyone how their health care boondoggle will save us all tons of money while taxing our health card benefits and thereby making them have the biggest increase they'll probably ever see in a single year.

Or it's like listening to Democrats say they gave 95% of us a tax cut (that extra $15 a month sure are sweet) while passing cap and trade, which will result in massive increases in our energy bills, gas bills, and increase the costs of EVERYTHING we buy (except solar panels and windmills and cars that run on patchouli), and at the same time looking at taxing our health care benefits.

It must have really stung to lost that election huh...

Banned
JoJo13 said:
8 Straight months YoY isn't really all that surprising, and it isn't like the 360 is doing monster numbers either (respectable tho).

For a console that hasn't received a price drop in roughly 2 years and is still at the freaking price the 360 launched at, it's not faring all that bad. Many people were just waiting to see another month with sub-100k figures. Not gonna happen.

It'll be YoY losses until the Slim + price drop comes out, and then you'll see it doing more sales than it ever has.

Where are these people? Are they made of straw?

jay

drakesfortune said:

Do some research on brevity as it applies to wit.

Angeles said:
It's not black or white, your example of grand theft auto is logical, a good series that keep selling more as user base grows make sense but with GT+FF it's weird

I was only replying to the guy who is saying that GT wont sell much because the user base is small and i just gave him that a cross 2 generations at least with FF and GT they always sold more when user base was much smaller (sound funny but true)

Now why did such a thing happened we really don't know but we all have our theories :D

The user-base will definitely affect the sales potential of Gran Turismo. Just maybe not as much as some people are saying. Most of the people who buy Gran Turismo likely have a PS3 already, it'll just be missing a few casual sales here and there.

zero_suit

king zell said:
wow THE CONDUIT really flopped than

How? The lowest selling game this month is at 192,000. One, we don't have any figures yet. Two, hardly anyone thought that the Conduit would sell 200,000 copies this month.

Top Bottom