• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Cant0na

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
  • michael jackson's death has a harmful effect on all sega sales
  • there is a field spell card in play, negating sales by 20%
  • michael ford = ford = car industry = bad image???
  • the moon is the house of jupiter
  • The Lizard Conspiracy

-install base isnt big enough
-wait for a price drop.

..........wait wrong console

drakesfortune said:
No it's like listening to Democrats tell everyone how their health care boondoggle will save us all tons of money while taxing our health card benefits and thereby making them have the biggest increase they'll probably ever see in a single year.

Or it's like listening to Democrats say they gave 95% of us a tax cut (that extra $15 a month sure are sweet) while passing cap and trade, which will result in massive increases in our energy bills, gas bills, and increase the costs of EVERYTHING we buy (except solar panels and windmills and cars that run on patchouli), and at the same time looking at taxing our health care benefits.

umad.gif

Parham

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
numbers

Bombas??

Call of Juarez released right at the tail end of June, so if the game didn't do well, it still has a chance to improve. But as for Overlord 2, I fear it will not do as well as its predecessor. :(

mujun

Danthrax said:
okay look before you all freak out, please consider the following:

• wait for the word of mouth to spread
  • it only had 9 days in NPD (didn't ship early; wasn't in stores until 24th)
  • there was not enough marketing
  • it's a Wii game, it'll have long legs
  • the video game media is biased against the Wii and didn't properly cover Conduit
  • there may have been confusion caused by delays (from May to late June in the U.S.; from late June to mid-July in Europe)
  • Sega of America changed CEOs a week before Conduit's launch, which disrupted the
  • the company's ability to properly advertise and distribute the title may have been poor — it IS Sega
  • the commercials aired late at night on channels no one watches
  • the reviews didn't come out soon enough before the release date
  • GamePro spread disinformation and FUD in its review on release day
  • GiantBomb also spread disinformation and FUD in its review

If you give me the foil I'll fold you up a hat.

EDarkness

Opiate said:
Is Donny willing to admit that these type of games have been well and truly killed off on the Wii at this point?

I don't think he needs to. It's pretty safe to say that the lack of big name blockbuster, "core" games in general, have hurt the Wii with that audience overall. People were more positive over a year ago, but perhaps more people are starting to see the writing on the wall. But the next time someone says that userbase is the most important thing to getting good games and exclusives, I'm gonna laugh in their face.

Those BlazBlue numbers are actually really good; about 15k more than I expected total, but with the platform numbers reversed also. Juarez and Overlord I would classify as "teh bombas" though. The Conduit numbers speak for themselves really. They could have been a lot worse.

Assuming those numbers edited out were true to begin with.

Raw64life

Wii Play finally fell out of the top 10 after 28 months, and it wasn't even in the top 15 this month.

Busaiku said:
It's pretty great that Punch Out still has legs.

Yep. Nearly identical sales the first two months of release. ~355K total

Angeles said:
Removed the numbers I'm too paranoid :lol i don't want to get banned

What is the policy on posting unconfirmed npd data?

I sent you a pm. Basically we are restricted to using numbers from public official sources that are like public knowledge or released by the NPD themselves. In other words, it sucks.

Although like I said thanks.

Fredescu

Opiate said:
Is Donny willing to admit that these type of games have been well and truly killed off on the Wii at this point?
I'm hoping that the "success" or at least the "met expectations" of HoTD: Overkill means we'll get more cool niche stuff from Headstrong games and the like. I think the days of hoping for third party blockbuster level traditional games are over though.

Fredescu said:
I'm hoping that the "success" or at least the "met expectations" of HoTD: Overkill means we'll get more cool niche stuff from Headstrong games and the like. I think the days of hoping for third party blockbuster level traditional games are over though.

wait for silent hill and dead space

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The BlazBlue numbers aren't that bad when you consider that the PS3 versions were very hard to find. Also, it is a "wacky Japanese game" that automatically limits the audience, no matter HOW awesome the game is.

yoopoo

Banned
Pureauthor said:
People, stop referring to the numbers, we're not supposed to have access to them.
Shutup.

WII PUNCH OUT!! 148,754 - So pretty much the same number as last month :eek:

PSP MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE 68,768 - best selling PSP game - super low.

Fredescu

EDarkness said:
But the next time someone says that userbase is the most important thing to getting good games and exclusives, I'm gonna laugh in their face.
Perhaps it still is the most important thing. It's just not the only important thing.

EDarkness

Fredescu said:

Yep. Looks like those days are gone and the chips have been thrown in. Not that we shouldn't have seen this coming. It was pretty obvious last year.

Fredescu said:
Perhaps it still is the most important thing. It's just not the only important thing.

Not even close to important. Attitude is by far most important. We saw this before during the Dreamcast days as well.

D.Lo

Opiate said:
Donny's predictions were too optomistic, but a game with that box art, no pedigree and middling reviews can hardly be seen as a test. RE4, WaW, RE:UC, COD3 etc.

Or is your claim that it might have done well two years ago?

JoJo13

Banned
garks said:
67k for Red Faction PS3? Didn't the demo debut on the PS3? There's no way the demo did any damage to its sales as it is AWESOME.

I didn't buy Red Faction because of the craptacular demo.

Kenaras

I lurk in the thread for most of the day, take a break for an hour - and in that time additional numbers were both posted and taken down?

/sadface

Edit: Found the numbers copied to another site; damn, that's a lot of info.

bhhawks78

Banned
Danthrax said:
okay look before you all freak out, please consider the following:

• wait for the word of mouth to spread
  • it only had 9 days in NPD (didn't ship early; wasn't in stores until 24th)
  • there was not enough marketing
  • it's a Wii game, it'll have long legs
  • the video game media is biased against the Wii and didn't properly cover Conduit
  • there may have been confusion caused by delays (from May to late June in the U.S.; from late June to mid-July in Europe)
  • Sega of America changed CEOs a week before Conduit's launch, which disrupted the
  • the company's ability to properly advertise and distribute the title may have been poor — it IS Sega
  • the commercials aired late at night on channels no one watches
  • the reviews didn't come out soon enough before the release date
  • GamePro spread disinformation and FUD in its review on release day
  • GiantBomb also spread disinformation and FUD in its review

GiantBombs review was more than fair. The game just wasn't even really average. Deal with the bomba and if you like the game..... go play and enjoy the game!!!

Notable new releases that failed to make the overall software top 10 (With no console or handheld version selling under 192,700 units in the U.S. by July 4): Rock Band Unplugged (June 9), Ghostbusters: The Video Game (June 16), Let's Tap (June 16), Guitar Hero Smash Hits (June 16), Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP), Overlord II (June 23), The Conduit (June 23), Transformers Revenge of The Fallen (June 23), BlazBlue (June 30), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (June 30), Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (June 30)

June 2009 U.S. Video Game Hardware Sales - NPD-PD version
Daily averages based on the June NPD date range: 5/31/09-7/04/09

Nintendo DS - 21,900 units/day (down 725)
Wii - 10,334 units/day (down 5)
Xbox 360 - 6,874 units/day (up 624)
PS3 - 4,706 units/day (up 27)
PSP - 4,671 units/day (down 1,085)
PS2 - 4,363 units/day (up 184)

Read the Rest: http://kotaku.com/5316491/npd-instant-analysis-things-you-should-note

I forgot about Rock Band: Unplugged and Monster Hunter for the PSP, sad to see how much piracy hurts, although I would never expect Monster Hunter to chart here in the US

Opiate

D.Lo said:
Donny's predictions were too optomistic, but a game with that box art, no pedigree and middling reviews can hardly be seen as a test. RE4, WaW, RE:UC, COD3 etc.

Or is your claim that it might have done well two years ago?

Absolutely, I'll admit that. I'm saying that the audience for these types of games on the Wii has been starved to death.

Top Bottom