• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

MotherFan

AniHawk said:
I thought Boom Blox 2 was going to be an outright bomb. Unless there were massive cuts in the price, it looks like it's going to have some pretty long legs. I'm surprised.

Original had long ones. Not sure why this one would not.

Angeles said:
Guys WTH? you NPD FREAKS :lol :lol

My inbox is already full /delete all without reading
People asking me to send them NPD Data i wont do that because it's illegal in GAF :lol

It was not real, it's from twitter wait for the official release

Juniors today have learned that you shouldn't post anything NPD related till official data is out
lesson learned so have mercy if i didn't make it i love you all and i hope i get into GAF in the next life
people are lazy.

it's like they forgot this is the internet, or how to use it.

i found a fuckton of numbers in MERE SECONDS.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Pretty bad for the conduit IMO.

sub <100k is pretty terrible. I expected it to at least easily beat out madworld due to its lower rating and broader appeal. hopefully titles has some legs as HVS made a good effort and I enjoyed the game.

Starfy selling >100k is amazing

punchout showing great legs.

any number for GST?

dont expect much since TG probably grabbed most sales for M+ games

bhhawks78

Banned
Opiate said:
If you like games like Conduit and Madworld (i.e. violent, action packed games targeting 16-35 year old males), and you prefer the Wii's control method, you lose. Sorry.

Honestly didn't like either....BUT if you like them don't you win because....you can play both and HVS is also making the fps "the grinder". Not like your wii mote catches fire if you play a game with poor sales, or your sensor bar turns to dust because a random poster on gaf doesn't share your taste in games.

Opiate

dammitmattt said:
I like the new Opiate. You seem a little more straightforward confrontational than you used to be when everything was peace, love, and harmony as you knocked out 1000-word posts. NeoGAF does that to you. I guess.

It's not being jaded, exactly. I've talked with Donny many times here now, so I trust him. I feel comfortable being a bit more blunt with him that I would with most other posters.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
hmm I forgot piracy. let's update the list.

• wait for the word of mouth to spread
  • it only had 9 days in NPD (didn't ship early; wasn't in stores until 24th)
  • there was not enough marketing
  • it's a Wii game, it'll have long legs
  • the video game media is biased against the Wii and didn't properly cover Conduit
  • there may have been confusion caused by delays (from May to late June in the U.S.; from late June to mid-July in Europe)
  • Sega of America changed CEOs a week before Conduit's launch, which disrupted the company's ability to properly advertise and distribute the title may have been poor — it IS Sega
  • the commercials aired late at night on channels no one watches
  • the reviews didn't come out soon enough before the release date
  • GamePro spread disinformation and FUD in its review on release day
  • GiantBomb also spread disinformation and FUD in its review
  • thousands — likely tens of thousands — of people pirated the game

scitek said:
Ouch, yeah that hurts. I didn't know it just died off like that. HotD: Overkill is better, though? Did it already have a price drop?

I think it has a price drop in some places but not others. I don't know what it sold this month but as of last month it was close to where Conduit sold this month. roughly.

DR2K

Banned
Anyone have the BB numbers? Did a search and couldn't find anything. Considering they only shipped the limited editions, which are pretty much sold out/limited supply everywhere, I'm sure it did fine.

AniHawk

scitek said:
Ouch, yeah that hurts. I didn't know it just died off like that. HotD: Overkill is better, though? Did it already have a price drop?

It hasn't had a price drop (that I'm aware of). Nothing permanent at least. It's had more success overall (mainly thanks to Europe). Probably cost a bit less to make.

Parham

Banned
DR2K said:
Anyone have the BB numbers? Did a search and couldn't find anything. Considering they only shipped the limited editions, which are pretty much sold out/limited supply everywhere, I'm sure it did fine.

Nothing official yet.

onipex

The Conduit is under 75k and it was sold out in most stores I went to during the launch week. I was told they only had one or two copies at most stores.

We can expect about 10 articles saying that it bombed followed by replies showing how Wii games have legs.

Can't wait for the top 20 to come out.

dammitmattt said:
I like the new Opiate. You seem a little more straightforward confrontational than you used to be when everything was peace, love, and harmony as you knocked out 1000-word posts. NeoGAF does that to you. I guess.

This is always the pattern for GAF. You start off hopeful and happy to have real intelligent discourse about videogames and write long dissertation style posts about a hobby you have a passion for.

6 months down the road you are worn down from all the bullshit and have devolved to fanboy baiting, biting sarcasm, and smart ass one liners.

Well at least that was my progression...

Shadow780

Danthrax said:
hmm I forgot piracy. let's update the list.

• wait for the word of mouth to spread
  • it only had 9 days in NPD (didn't ship early; wasn't in stores until 24th)
  • there was not enough marketing
  • it's a Wii game, it'll have long legs
  • the video game media is biased against the Wii and didn't properly cover Conduit
  • there may have been confusion caused by delays (from May to late June in the U.S.; from late June to mid-July in Europe)
  • Sega of America changed CEOs a week before Conduit's launch, which disrupted the company's ability to properly advertise and distribute the title may have been poor — it IS Sega
  • the commercials aired late at night on channels no one watches
  • the reviews didn't come out soon enough before the release date
  • GamePro spread disinformation and FUD in its review on release day
  • GiantBomb also spread disinformation and FUD in its review
  • thousands — likely tens of thousands — of people pirated the game

e5n4tf.jpg

Narag

Stoney Mason said:
This is always the pattern for GAF. You start off hopeful and happy to have real intelligent discourse about videogames and write long dissertation style posts about a hobby you have a passion for.

6 months down the road you are warn down from all the bullshit and have devolved to fanboy baiting, biting sarcasm, and smart ass one liners.

It happens far too often which sucks as I'm led to satellite boards to find the proper discussion by the people too beat down to post it on gaf.

Opiate

Stoney Mason said:

6 months down the road you are warn down from all the bullshit and have devolved to fanboy baiting, biting sarcasm, and smart ass one liners.

Look at my recent post history. I still post in the same fashion, I think. I just don't feel it's necessary for someone like Donny, who I've conversed with at length for 18 months now.

Stoney Mason said:

Same here.

PS3 sucks btw.

AniHawk

DR2K said:

PS3: 55% of BB sales
360: 45% of BB sales

AniHawk

MotherFan said:
Original had long ones. Not sure why this one would not.

Well I had thought people would just continue to buy the first one. I guess EA simply stopped shipping it to push sales of the second game.

scitek

Opiate said:
If you like games like Conduit and Madworld (i.e. violent, action packed games targeting 16-35 year old males), and you prefer the Wii's control method, you lose. Sorry.

What the fuck kind of stupid shit is this? Do you have a vested interest in seeing the Wii not get games in certain genres? Are there winners opposed to these losers? I really don't get some peoples' attitudes toward people that prefer something different to them. They just take every opportunity they can find to look down their nose and try and poke fun at someone just for liking something they don't. It makes no sense to me. Who gives a flying fuck what game a console is released on? If you like it, fucking play it and shut the fuck up. Stop trying to preach about how they should get this console or that one if they want to play this type of game. It's annoying.

Same with the people that come in here posting "Anyone who thought this game could have sold over X amount for the month were delusional," yeah, it's real easy to come in and talk shit when the numbers are sitting right in front of you. Why not try and make those hardass predictions three weeks out?

Using the internet to make yourself feel important just makes me :lol , but it also fucking gets annoying after a while.

Sean

Banned
Seems like Activision was right (unfortunately) with dropping all those games. First 50 Cent flopped hard, then Riddick, and now Ghostbusters failed to hit the top 10 as well. I fear that Brutal Legend is up next.

The only game they kept from Vivendi ended up being #1 this month.

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
Well I had thought people would just continue to buy the first one. I guess EA simply stopped shipping it to push sales of the second game.

i still see both on shelves.

they will probably milk the first one at a lower price point for as long as they can

Fredescu

AniHawk said:
I thought Boom Blox 2 was going to be an outright bomb. Unless there were massive cuts in the price, it looks like it's going to have some pretty long legs. I'm surprised.
Pretty happy about that. It's a pretty sequel.

Opiate

Sean said:
Seems like Activision was right (unfortunately) with dropping all those games. First 50 Cent flopped hard, then Riddick, and now Ghostbusters failed to hit the top 10 as well. I fear that Brutal Legend is up next.

Activision is definitely the savviest publisher this generation. Electronic Arts is completely lost, and Take 2 is treading water.

Is GAF REALLY going to put down a game that was only out for NINE DAYS? (Pretty much ONE week)? Seriously?

EDIT - I'm not trying to imply that the game will be likely to perform "great" or maybe even "good" but saying that 72k in 9 days is bad for such a game is something that I'll have to disagree with.

dumbass_

Banned
Sean said:

That's better they should use their teams to create more Call of duties and Guitar heroes.

AniHawk

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is GAF REALLY going to put down a game that was only out for NINE DAYS? (Pretty much ONE week)? Seriously?

UFC 2009 did almost a million on the 360 alone last month in as much time and I had no clue that game existed prior to its release.

Opiate said:
Activision is definitely the savviest publisher this generation. Electronic Arts is completely lost, and Take 2 is treading water.

I'd say EA's got a good grasp on the sports market at the very least. But overall, I'd say Capcom has made the best decisions regarding each platform. Aside from no followup to RE4 and the Wii getting a Dead Rising port instead, I can't think of a decision that was really 100% bad.

EDIT: Oh, right. Bionic Commando.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Flying_Phoenix said:
That's the best excuse it has though, and it's still not a very good one.

xbhaskarx

ICallItFutile said:
LTD

PlayStation 2 44,300,518
PlayStation 3 7,914,096
PSP 15,260,836
Xbox 360 15,480,886
Wii 20,564,781
Nintendo DS 31,643,158

YTD

PlayStation 2 785.9k
PlayStation 3 1.1199 mil
PSP 919.2k
Xbox 360 1.6206 mil
Wii 3.0244 mil
Nintendo DS 4.1018 mil

YOY

PlayStation 2 -1%
PlayStation 3 -59% (MGS4 last year)
PSP -52%
Xbox 360 +9%
Wii -46%
Nintendo DS -2%

How are you getting LTD numbers down to the individual unit when monthly NPD sales numbers are rounded to the nearest 100?

Opiate said:

I dont think EA is lost, i think they are thinking more out of the box, and going into diff. areas that they haven't ventured to in a while, they have put out good stuff, just no new mega hits, but hey we can't say they are lost since they dominate this npd list

Opiate said:
Look at my recent post history. I still post in the same fashion, I think. I just don't feel it's necessary for someone like Donny, who I've conversed with at length for 18 months now.

Oh I was just making a general observation. What I posted relates more to me than you clearly.

markatisu

Some retailers like Best Buy started selling Boom Blox and Boom Blox 2 in a double pack, probably an easy way to move old stock out and focus solely on BB2 in the future

scitek

Flying_Phoenix said:

It's funny if you go back and look at the numers for PSX and PS2 games. You see that games often didn't hit the million mark but were considered successes. I realize dev costs back then were lower, but a couple hundred thousand sold was usually a pretty good number until the Xbox 360 started posting really crazy sales.

Flying_Phoenix said:

EDIT - I'm not trying to imply that the game will be likely to perform "great" or maybe even "good" but saying that 72k in 9 days is bad for such a game is something that I'll have to disagree with.

72k is terrible....atrocious even.

EDarkness

Narag said:
It happens far too often which sucks as I'm led to satellite boards to find the proper discussion by the people too beat down to post it on gaf.

I do the same thing. I like this board, don't get me wrong, hell I was here during the DC / PS2 flame wars and old Gaming Age power, but these days people are way too beat down to really have good conversations. So often they devolve into petty name calling. Good thing the net is a big place.

xbhaskarx

Accident said:
152 games in the leak, all over 20k

NDS:42
Wii:34
360:32
PS3:17
PS2:15
PSP:12

How useful is it to count every game over 20k? The lower you go the less that means, you're counting some game that sold 21k copies as if it has the exact same sales value as Prototype. If you counted every game over 1k that would pretty much be "every game that was released."
At the very least add total sales for those 152 games on each platform.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Flying_Phoenix said:

thisisneogafdude.gif

Top Bottom