• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
laserbeam said:
Conduit Ads started shortly before release and are still airing. So there has to be some sort of turn around on investment otherwise Sega would have yanked that plug in a heartbeat. US+EU Sales may be doing good for them hard to say

leeeeeeeegs
hopefully

Arde5643 said:
It isn't a bad game by any means, it is however a bland and plain mediocre game.

VC truly didn't deserve those sales though.

it's all hate for Sega =P

Chumly

Patriotsbball5460 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Halo Wars outsold it here in the US, not by much i would imagine though, its just too bad, imo Killzone 2 deserved better than what sales it did get, especially should have got more than halo wars...just my opinion.

But I would be shocked if halo wars outsold it worldwide, but yes, i know, this is an american sales focused thread, so ill leave it at that
Killzone 2 outsold Halo wars by 300-400
Halo 3 outsold Killzone 2 by 30000-40000

bhhawks78

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Halo Wars outsold it here in the US, not by much i would imagine though, its just too bad, imo Killzone 2 deserved better than what sales it did get, especially should have got more than halo wars...just my opinion.

But I would be shocked if halo wars outsold it worldwide, but yes, i know, this is an american sales focused thread, so ill leave it at that

They have no-one but themselves to blame but themselves by showcasing their broken controls in the demo and using their great great great tech for greys and browns among other shenanigans.

Sean said:
What do you mean? You can enter redeem codes online.

I buy my Microsoft Points from Amazon now since I don't have my credit card attached to my XBL account (and don't want to either). You get the code emailed to you right away and you can just copy and paste into Xbox.com to redeem. Sure beats buying those cards at the store.

This. Since Amazon first started emailing these codes within minutes I haven't bought a single point card anywhere else and I refuse to put my credit card into the 360 considering how hard it is to get it out.

bhhawks78

Banned
Angeles said:
I know but he kept saying halo wars sold more when in fact it was the exact opposite.
And as if KZ2 have to sell as much as COD4 or Halo3, it's stupid KZ2 will never sell that many copies

Was talking about JUST in 2009, and yeah i was off by 300-400 and said that.

Chumly said:
Killzone 2 sold like 200-300 more than Halo wars but Halo 3 sold over DOUBLE of what Killzone 2 sold for this month
bhhawks78 said:
Double checked you're right by a few hundred...lol the real question for KZ 2 is will it even outsell Halo 3 or Cod 4 in 2009? They both are catching up by 40k+ a month
Holy shit

laserbeam

Banned
Arde5643 said:
hahhahaa. Do those even count in this discussion though? :lol

Have to feel bad for Sega. I was being nice and giving the estimated worldwide totals for both versions versus just US Conduit sales.

Virtua Tennis was screwed because it came out and did not include Motion + while its competitor did.

Narag

Angeles said:
And as if KZ2 have to sell as much as COD4 or Halo3, it's stupid KZ2 will never sell that many copies

His comment, as he clarified later, was in regards to 2009 sales. I'd hope a high profile AAA title could beat two two-year old catalog titles in its year of release but it very well may not.

Chumly said:
Killzone 2 outsold Halo wars by 300-400
Halo 3 outsold Killzone to by 30000-40000

Not really interested in Halo 3's sales compared to KZ's, especially since I know it'll never do halo numbers, it doesnt have the same brand recognition or series to back itself up with to warrant a comparison to Halo.

bhhawks78 said:
They have no-one but themselves to blame but themselves by showcasing their broken controls in the demo and using their great great great tech for greys and browns among other shenanigans.

They offered at least 4, maybe more control schemes to use, especially one close to cod4 style. The game was made to be a slower, more strategic shooter than most out there. Their tech is great yes, but they also do use diff. colors such as reds, purples, and oranges.

Arde5643

laserbeam said:
Have to feel bad for Sega. I was being nice and giving the estimated worldwide totals for both versions versus just US Conduit sales.

Virtua Tennis was screwed because it came out and did not include Motion + while its competitor did.
I think that's just Nintendo being hateful to Sega. Gotta keep the burn alive. :lol

speculawyer said:
Really? What was that?

And why are XBLA points selling so hot on Amazon.com? They are selling at the same price Microsoft charges so I don't understand why people buy them at amazon where they then have to enter that long annoying code.

Not sure if anyone answered this yet, but I think A LOT of people have Amazon credit/points and people just love shopping from the site and more importantly, they are almost conditioned to buy almost exclusively from Amazon.

dumbass_

Banned
laserbeam said:

This is still not an excuse it's on 3 platforms not only the wii
PS3/XBOX360/WII versions combined sold less than half of the Conduit

bhhawks78

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
Not really interested in Halo 3's sales compared to KZ's, especially since I know it'll never do halo numbers, it doesnt have the same brand recognition or series to back itself up with to warrant a comparison to Halo.

They offered at least 4, maybe more control schemes to use, especially one close to cod4 style. The game was made to be a slower, more strategic shooter than most out there. Their tech is great yes, but they also do use diff. colors such as reds, purples, and oranges.

Not the placement of the controls but their annoying sluggish nature that had nothing but make the game feel broken not "strategic" when all but the very end were simple "monster closets" essentially.

garks

Banned
"The Conduit" also sold poorly because of it's boring name:

conduit [kon-dew-it]
Noun

1. a route or system for transferring things from one place to another
2. a channel or tube for carrying a fluid or electrical cables
3. a means of access or communication [Latin conducere to lead]

Arde5643

Angeles said:
Urk - so it's Sonic Unleashed level of bad? Well, minus the Wii version.

bhhawks78 said:
Not the placement of the controls but their annoying sluggish nature that had nothing but make the game feel broken not "strategic" when all but the very end were simple "monster closets" essentially.

Yeah, it is flawed, sure, what game isn't though...you did have some never ending spawns, that you needed to get past to cut off, but they weren't as bad as games like Call of Duty 4 or anything. The movement and running and everything was slower, but they say that was planned and it was made that way, its just weather you believe them and buy into that or not. You dont, I do, sorta simple as that, :D

laserbeam

Banned
I think Golf and Tennis are just becoming linked to the Wii as far as sales go. Since Gamers had 2 choices both with Motion + support but only one having motion+ bundled it killed any chance of the other title doing good.

If EA could get its act togeather with Madden on the Wii its sales might improve but it seems every year they want to redo it and never add what people want from it.

Angeles said:

wow, and it had a full month to get sales, the wii version came out on june 2nd and the 360/PS3 on the 9th.

71k/2= >35.5k/3=11.833k per system, and it will most likely be lower since you said LESS than half

dumbass_

Banned
laserbeam said:
I think Golf and Tennis are just becoming linked to the Wii as far as sales go. Since Gamers had 2 choices both with Motion + support but only one having motion+ bundled it killed any chance of the other title doing good.

Well wii version was the best selling one, xbox/ps3 users gave the game the middle finger :lol

bhhawks78

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
Yeah, it is flawed, sure, what game isn't though...you did have some never ending spawns, that you needed to get past to cut off, but they weren't as bad as games like Call of Duty 4 or anything. The movement and running and everything was slower, but they say that was planned and it was made that way, its just weather you believe them and buy into that or not. You dont, I do, sorta simple as that, :D

Glad you enjoy them, was just pointing out why the sales were so low in proportion to the insane hype/alleged budget, the demo turned many people away and those like me who overlooked it flooded the ebay/gamestop/craigslist used game market, my gamestop had almost a dozen copies used already when i went in to buy a new controller 5 days after release.

Sean said:
What do you mean? You can enter redeem codes online.

I buy my Microsoft Points from Amazon now since I don't have my credit card attached to my XBL account (and don't want to either). You get the code emailed to you right away and you can just copy and paste into Xbox.com to redeem. Sure beats buying those cards at the store.
Ah, that makes sense.

Busaiku

laserbeam said:
Grand Slam's doing really well across the pond.

bhhawks78 said:
Glad you enjoy them, was just pointing out why the sales were so low in proportion to the insane hype/alleged budget, the demo turned many people away and those like me who overlooked it flooded the ebay/gamestop/craigslist used game market, my gamestop had almost a dozen copies used already when i went in to buy a new controller 5 days after release.

Yeah I understand not liking them, it took me some time to get used to them aswell, at first i was like you and was asking myself why i spent my money on it, but i kept going and got used to them and love the game, heck ive played 230 hours of its online :D

I just wish that it would have dont better, thats all, but that happens to alot of games...just gotta live with it

bhhawks78

Banned
Busaiku said:
Grand Slam's doing really well across the pond.

Was good timing with Wimbledon, seeing VT fail hurts, one of my fav dreamcast games...i played the demo v.s. a friend for hours, got the game and at one point had deuce 43:lol was insane.

laserbeam

Banned
Andrex said:
Can someone post the sales breakdown of Sonic Unleashed? I'm REALLY curious now.

PS3 and 360 Sold between like 15-20k each in the US. Wii ended up at like 40k. Game is one of the very best definitions of a Bomb

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bhhawks78 said:
Was good timing with Wimbledon, seeing VT fail hurts, one of my fav dreamcast games...i played the demo v.s. a friend for hours, got the game and at one point had deuce 43:lol was insane.
I heard 2009 isn't even as good as VT3, which is probably selling for $10 by now. That's a shame because there were definitely some things that needed improvement in VT3. It looked like a lazy sequel to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
laserbeam said:
PS3 and 360 Sold between like 15-20k each in the US. Wii ended up at like 40k. Game is one of the very best definitions of a Bomb

Wow, and I can't imagine how much money they poured into it.

How much did Black Knight do?

Chumly

laserbeam said:
What in the FUCK are you talking about. Here are the sales for sonic unleashed

Sonic Unleashed - 113k (360), 69k (PS3), 315k (Wii)

At the end of January 2009

laserbeam

Banned
Chumly said:
What in the FUCK are you talking about. Here are the sales for sonic unleashed

Sonic Unleashed - 113k (360), 69k (PS3), 315k (Wii)

At the end of January 2009

Yes I was misreading my data my bad. But yes the Games are still very much a Bomb. Was forgetting a 0 from the numbers due to it being late :(

The totals are slightly higher then the above lifetime now.

The Conduits Launch remains significantly higher than their launches respectively.

Tiktaalik

AniHawk said:
Punch Out is probably the sleeper hit of the year. No way in hell did I expect it to sell well or be loved by critics and fans alike, but it did both.

I thought Punch Out had a lot of potential as a cross over hit. It still does in fact. Into xmas if Nintendo does a refresh of the advertising I think Punch Out has the potential to be a perennial seller a la Mario Kart.

It's accessible to hardcore/core and casuals.

laserbeam

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I thought Punch Out had a lot of potential as a cross over hit. It still does in fact. Into xmas if Nintendo does a refresh of the advertising I think Punch Out has the potential to be a perennial seller a la Mario Kart.

It's accessible to hardcore/core and casuals.

Punch Out will probably get another Holiday push and as mentioned earlier Nintendo is mailing out $10 off coupons to Club Nintendo members who have not purchased the game to try and get interest

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Andrex said:
Wow, and I can't imagine how much money they poured into it.

How much did Black Knight do?

>100k LTD I believe

so, probably enough to pay for itself and pay off Unleashed a little bit. God knows they didn't spend any money on marketing for Black Knight.

can we stop talking about the established sub-mediocrity of the conduit and start shedding some tears for the fuck amazing rock band unplugged

you pirate fucks

Tiktaalik

Like Punch Out, the success of Conduit depends on more than just one month of sales and we'll have to hold off judgement until next month when we can see what sorts of sales it starts to do.

I'm not too confident of next months sales approaching the ~70k that folks have been talking about earlier in the thread though. I expect bombas.

laserbeam

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
can we stop talking about the established sub-mediocrity of the conduit and start shedding some tears for the fuck amazing rock band unplugged

you pirate fucks

I think the PSP is a lost cause. Sony will hopefully have learned enough for the next Gen of Handhelds to avoid the mistakes. Some titles will sell big maybe due to the fact they are mega franchises but even those will be wait and see.

Far too many hacked PSPs are out there and the pirates sure as hell wont upgrade to the GO or any other Non hacked PSP.

Chumly

Drinky Crow said:

you pirate fucks
Well at least it sold >35k : /

billy.sea

Banned
Would be interesting to see July NPD.
NCAA vs Wii Sports Resort. I don't think NCAA or Madden ever lose their top debut spot every year.

Parham

Banned
Are there really that many PSPs that are hacked? Or at least enough to make almost every newly released title bomb? One would think that regular consumers refrain from pirating PSP software since it requires some modest effort to hack the device. Could this merely just be an issue of people only wanting or needing to buy a minimal amount of games for the system?

Top Bottom