• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

gerg

amtentori said:
even if half of wii owners are female...

there would be almost the same number of male owners of wii and 360

You've also got to consider age.

I'm not saying that no Wii owners are 18-35 yr old males, but that they represent a considerably smaller proportion of the Wii audience, whilst I suspect that they would be almost the entirety of the 360 and PS3 audiences.

azentium said:
Are there really that many PSPs that are hacked? Or at least enough to make almost every newly released title bomb? One would think that regular consumers refrain from pirating PSP software since it requires some modest effort to hack the device. Could this merely just be an issue of people only wanting or needing to buy a minimal amount of games for the system?
Yes, that many PSP's are pirated. A big percentage of PSP's sold are sold to pirates specifically because the system is so easy to mod (it's an easy software only flashing done via USB..anyone can do it).

If it weren't so easily pirateable, WAY less PSPs would have been sold.

billy.sea

Banned
Snipes424 said:
Is Conduit really a "bad" game? Or when Valkyria Chronicles sold poorly, I saw people happy about it. It's just plain fucking sad.

Because it is a Wii game, almost everyone here wants anything on it to sell poorly.

General Reaction:
Metroid Prime 3 sold poorly :lol
MadWorld sold poorly :lol
Conduit sold poorly :lol
Wii Fit sold great :(
Wii sold great :(

boiled goose

good with gravy
gerg said:
You've also got to consider age.

I'm not saying that no Wii owners are 18-35 yr old males, but that they represent a considerably smaller proportion of the Wii audience, whilst I suspect that they would be almost the entirety of the 360 and PS3 audiences.

proportion doesnt matter too much since the wii has a much larger userbase. what matters is the absolute amount of people in each demographic.

which is unknown, but probably closer than we think

gerg

billy.sea said:
Because it is a Wii game, almost everyone here wants anything on it to sell poorly.

General Reaction:

Didn't Prime 3 sell rather well on the Wii, especially in comparison to other games in the series?

amtentori said:
proportion doesnt matter too much since the wii has a much larger userbase. what matter is the absolute amount of people in each demographic.

I understand this. I'm yet to be convinced, however, that in absolute terms, the Wii's 18-35 yr old male demographic outnumbers its 360 (and maybe PS3) counterparts.

boiled goose

good with gravy
billy.sea said:

General Reaction:

MP3 didnt do too badly. it just didnt do as well as it deserved... :(
hopefully redeemed with the trilogy

laserbeam

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Yes, that many PSP's are pirated. A big percentage of PSP's sold are sold to pirates specifically because the system is so easy to mod (it's an easy software only flashing done via USB..anyone can do it).

Yep checking one torrent site alone there was close to 50k downloads of God of War alone for instance. Just 1 site out of a dozen Major sites.

jercruz

billy.sea said:

General Reaction:

This.

Firestorm

billy.sea said:

General Reaction:
Actually, general reactions:

Metroid Prime 3 sold good :D (1 million wasn't it?)
MadWorld sold poorly :(
Conduit sold poorly :lol:
Wii Fit sold great =/
Wii sold great =/

Oh wait we're playing the victim card my bad

Busaiku

I really do wonder about the future of PSP games.
There are lots of big titles coming up, but will they be able to pull in good numbers?

I didn't expect Monster Hunter to do much more than it did, despite the extra marketing efforts. I think the only chance it has at gaining ground in the western market is with Tri.
I did expect a lot more from Rock Band though. I wasn't aware of the major pirating problems though, so I didn't factor that in. Still, I didn't expect it to crack the top 10, or the top 20, but I did not see it debuting that low.

Parham

Banned
laserbeam said:
Yep checking one torrent site alone there was close to 50k downloads of God of War alone for instance. Just 1 site out of a dozen Major sites.

I checked on a large torrent tracking site for Patapon 2 and Rock Band Unplugged. In total, Patapon 2 had 700 seeders / 100 leechers and Rock Band Unplugged had 1,000 seeders / 300 leechers. These numbers seem really small, almost too small to really cause a dent in sales. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting that piracy has some effect, but I don't believe that it has been a major factor leading to the death of PSP software sales.

Firestorm

Maxwell House said:

Both Wii and DS are far easier to pirate than PSP.
amtentori said:
proportion doesnt matter too much since the wii has a much larger userbase. what matters is the absolute amount of people in each demographic.

which is unknown, but probably closer than we think
LTD again:
PlayStation 2 44,300,518
PlayStation 3 7,914,096
Xbox 360 15,480,886
Wii 20,564,781

I wouldn't say the Wii has more FPS fans than 360 at all.

duk

Banned
Opiate said:
This is important. Not only are Wii sales down and 360 sales up, but the 360 is once again selling more software than the Wii is. That's particularly impressive given the install base disparity.

In Japan, the Wii has sold 50% of what it did last year at this time. In the UK, it has sold 33% of what it did last year. In America, it is now selling ~50% of what it did last year, and now the 360 is selling more software than the Wii in the US.

There is definitely a worldwide decline in Wii demand.

Until the Wii drops its price. Ninty can just sit and collect money still as long as it is selling more than the HD console

Eteric Rice

Kittonwy said:
Would the conduit have been better reviewed had it been on the 360 or the PS3 looking like it did and with the same maps and online set up that it did? It's not a huge surprise that the conduit didn't sell, it's an unknown IP made by a no-name developer, and it really didn't seem like it had a hook or something that really stood out.

Pretty much why I didn't buy it. Nothing to seperate it from the many other shooters out there.

NeoUltima

Archie said:
Rock Band was leaked 3 weeks before it came out. That game was destined to failure.

Especially because of that annoying ad that Gametrailers sticks in front of 99% of their videos. Ugh

(not really, but I do really hate that ad)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
anyone who honestly believed The Conduit would sell is fucking delusional.

CTLance

Cripes, so that's why neogaf 500'd out on me yesterday evening.

Thanks to NPD for the data yadda yadda, I'll wait for the writeups by jvm et al. I've become a lazy sales-ager.

Can we get one of the good ol' PantherLotus "HD consoles vs Wii" graphs?

...and I wish the Conduit sold more. Not the best game ever, but solid and very fun. Oh well. I shudder to think what Let's Tap sold.

Am I seeing things, or did more members than newbs get the banhammer in this thread? What an interesting turn of events if true. Cruel timing for a new wave of approvals.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just realized Let's Tap must have sold fewer than 20k. and it had half of the month (came out on June 16) to sell.

now there's a bomba =(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Danthrax said:
I just realized Let's Tap must have sold fewer than 20k. and it had half of the month (came out on June 16) to sell.

now there's a bomba =(

Game was essentially a WiiWare game pressed to a disc. Not surprised.

Drinky Crow said:
can we stop talking about the established sub-mediocrity of the conduit and start shedding some tears for the fuck amazing rock band unplugged

you pirate fucks

DSC00017.jpg

I did my part. Fun game, I would recommend others buy it too.

I have a cracked PSP but I don't pirate games. Mainly use it for Persona 2:EP that I scored on that reprint a while ago

Maybe The Conduit didn't sell BECAUSE IT'S NOT A GREAT FUCKING GAME.

Even Madworld was average and got way more hype for being on the Wii then it would have if it was on PS3 or 360.

An average game is an average game, system or audience be damned.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Danthrax said:

now there's a bomba =(

Should have included the box.

At least it sold better than it did in Japan...

dejan

The Faceless Master said:
even COD4 on PS3 is outselling KZ2
I guess just like with InFamous/Prototype the PS3 owners opted for the better game amirite? Btw COD: WaW (PS3) sold more than K2, too.

Cant0na

Banned
I saw a thing on NBC right now about some video game business report, and during the Montage of people playing while they talked, they showed the xbox and Wii.............no ps3.

The media bias is Ridiculous

legend166

Cant0na said:
I saw a thing on NBC right now about some video game business report, and during the Montage of people playing while they talked, they showed the xbox and Wii.............no ps3.

It's a liberal conspiracy, obviously.

From what i can tell the conduit is one of the more ambitious games on the wii.

And i think these sales will give third parties a good idea what to expect out of an ambitious non nintendo game on the wii from now on.

Cant0na said:

I bet they didn't show the Leapfrog or the V-smile either.

Bastards.

Itsintheairtonight said:
From what i can tell the conduit is one of the more ambitious games on the wii.

And i think these sales will give third parties a good idea what to expect out of an ambitious non nintendo game on the wii from now on.

Well, it's ambitious from a tech side, and from the developer side. From the game design angle I would hardly call it ambitious aside from the online and controls (which were only perfecting what EA did with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2).

I'll be interested to see how it does over time. I wonder if NPD tracks Newegg. . .that's where I bought it from :lol

Mohonky

Cant0na said:

It's a bloody outrage it is!!!

Naruto

Did anyone here really expected the Conduit to sell more than 192K? I expected more from the great minds of Sales Age.
Really, if the game sold more than 100K than that is just about inline with realistic expectations, and after playing the game quite a bit, I'm not sure it deserves to sell more..

Mithos

Gold Member
azentium said:
Are there really that many PSPs that are hacked?

I don't know anyone that have a clean PSP, they all have hacked firmware.

Naruto said:
Did anyone here really expected the Conduit to sell more than 192K?

In the 9 days it was out, not really.

[Nintex]

So Punch-Out!! sold a lot and even Starfy did well.

The Conduit is a total bomb just like I expected. Maybe they shouldn't have dropped Wii MotionPlus support, maybe they should've hired an art director but it's too late for that now.

Naruto said:
Did anyone here really expected the Conduit to sell more than 192K? I expected more from the great minds of Sales Age.
Really, if the game sold more than 100K than that is just about inline with realistic expectations, and after playing the game quite a bit, I'm not sure it deserves to sell more..

Go check out the NPD Software Prediction thread to see what some people were expecting.

I'm not sure optimisic is the right word for some of them :p

farnham

Banned
Im really impressed with Boom Blox 2s legs and punch outs nice second month performance..

Those are the games that im concerned about saleswise...

and nice to see tiger woods did so well

and 70k in 7 days is a total bomb..? for a noname developer that is a pretty good result

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
can we stop talking about the established sub-mediocrity of the conduit and start shedding some tears for the fuck amazing rock band unplugged

you pirate fucks

wait wait wait

that was actually good? I skipped it completely thinking it was just a poor man's attempt at bringing the Rock Band experience to handheld.

Generally speaking that's what happens when they try to bring a console experience - particularly a specialized one - to the PSP. Maybe I shouldn't have dismissed it so quick!

Vagabundo

Cant0na said:
:lol

so you really think its gonna sell anymore than what it has in the next 30 days

Wii games rarely follow the game of the month curve and tend to sell consistently over a long period.

I'd expect the conduit to do somewhere between 500k-1m in sales over the next two years.

Not going to rock anyones socks off.

Top Bottom