• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

GitarooMan said:
:lol Talk about shifting the goalposts, people making those predictions knew the release date and knew the number of NPD days. They weren't making them based on a full 30 day window.

The fact is nobody can ever call anything a bomb or a hit here because everyone has their own criteria. I bet Sega is disappointed though (although I'm sure some Sega PR will somewhere down the line say through gritted teeth "we were happy with sales of The Conudit" and people will grasp onto that as though it holds some weight).

No.

The Faceless Master said:
people say this all the time, but 99% of the time, second month is worse.

in the past year, iirc, the only games with a second month higher than the first that were released outside of october/november are wiifit and infamous.

even with 2-4 days of sales for the month, most games just sell the most at launch.

...so you REALLY believe that it won't move an extra 28k in 2 weeks or so?

Pureauthor said:
I believe most of those who actually made predictions were aware of the amount of days that would be counted within NPD.

If this is really true than...:lol @ Gaf.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What disappointments me about The Conduit's sales is mostly to do with the size of the installbase. Yeah, 9 days compared to 3 weeks, and average reviews potentially damaging sales via word-of-mouth, but the Wii's installbase is so damn high you expect some kind of guarenty.

And sadly, The Conduit really hasn't 'proven' a point either way. It could have legs like CoD:WaW and prove that an installbase is there, one that was wary of quality, or it could prove that the fabled 'core' installbase just doesn't exist in a way that will guaranty high sales for these kinds of games.

By the end of the year it will be interesting to see sales of games like Red Steel 2 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I don't really expect the latter to sell all that well, considering it's genre and diminishing fanbase, but I am interested in its sales comparisons to something like Homecoming and Origins.

Kozak

Banned
Oliver.S said:
Yes. I rather bought me some Art Style and Hanabi Festival VC games (Pulseman is fantastic) for less money. In the moment, I am swimming in good to great games for my Wii and DS (in Europe). No need to buy a stopgag, a few days before Wii Sports Resort.
Sad to see some of the same guys, who once enjoyed masterpieces like Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, now defending a average shooter. Clarification: I don't want to see it bomb.

Doesn't matter if its not a great game..

Didn't stop Killzone or Carnival Games.

Another Gaf virgin making his first post a sales age post! :D

On the whole Infamous and Prototype thing, it's just hilarious to watch GAFfers fight over it. Get a grip: The games have the same general premise/gameplay. In my eyes, they're both a load of crap because I, personally, am sick of sandbox games.

The Conduit; Bought this game as a happy Wii owner. I hate it. There's tons of little nitpicky BS that just compines into a pile of cow manure that makes me despise it. It's not that I want the game to fail, but I'm a bit pissed off that it sells more than stuff like Madworld (no matter what GAF thinks) as that game actually has a pretty important message to convey.

BlazBlue did great for a game out for one day. I have a feeling ASKYS is very happy right now.

Wasn't expecting EA Sports Active to chart again. But it ain't a bad game, so i don't mind.

All in all, pretty much what I suspected in terms of hardware. The coming months should be interesting seeing as they're devoid of any BIG releases.

markatisu

NimbusD said:
Wii Motion+ bomba? Seriously why the hell isn't it selling like hotcakes... also it mentions it doesn't include numbers for TW10 that includes hardware... does that mean it doesn't include the Wii+ sales?

M+ standalone sold 169k and TW sold 200k so ~400k in one month before WSR is bomba?!?

GTFO

Rolf NB

Dra-Q said:
Any predictions how the PSP GO will sell in this market-situation?
Badly. What's more important is that it disrupts the cycle of annual upgrades. I think if you teach people that a new, improved model will come out next year, every year (for the same price too), they start to wait it out. That's not what Sony wants. The PSP Go will get a lot of formerly hesitant people off the fence, but the PSP Go itself is not what they will end up buying.

jibblypop

Banned
I just saw some "rumored" numbers by searching google. The game that surprised me most was Mario 64 DS. If that game is still putting up those "rumored" numbers after all this time even though it was a DS launch title then I would love to see the LTD sales on that one.

AniHawk

idofriar1313 said:
All in all, pretty much what I suspected in terms of hardware. The coming months should be interesting seeing as they're devoid of any BIG releases.

You mean aside from Wii Sports Resort (July) and Halo 3 ODST (September)?

billy.sea said:
Would be interesting to see July NPD.
NCAA vs Wii Sports Resort. I don't think NCAA or Madden ever lose their top debut spot every year.

I don't think Wii Sports Resort is the type of game that's going to sell over a million copies in a week. I should be more of a slow burner, so NCAA 360 should still take the top spot. WSR could come in 2nd or 3rd, depending upon how NCAA PS3 sells.

AniHawk said:

And the biggest franchise in gaming, Madden, in what looks like a banner year.

FrankT

Accident said:
There is no way to tell if a game is missing, we don't even know if the numbers are real.

Totals from the leaked numbers.

360: 2.51M
Wii:2.30M
NDS:1.89M
PS3:1.33M
PS2:0.46M
PSP:0.36M

Accident said:
152 games in the leak, all over 20k

NDS:42
Wii:34
360:32
PS3:17
PS2:15
PSP:12

Some interesting numbers from this leak to say the least.

yoopoo

Banned
You Conduit fanboys should thank KillZone 2, if it wasn't for that game Conduit would be considered dud of the generation.

AniHawk said:

Wow, thanks Anihawk for making me feel stupid.

OK, so it's obvious. Wii Sports at #1 for July. Madden #1 August. Perhaps I'm more interested in whats at those 2-10 spots....

I got nothing..

Crisco

Banned
The PS3 software situation is just abysmal. How much worse is it's software sales compared to the 360 when it's installed base was about the same as the PS3 is now? Seems like it's way worse. Also, is there any data on PSN sales? Stuff like Flower and Pixeljunk games? You can't even pirate games for the fucking thing, so it either means everyone with a PS3 has gamefly or people just don't buy games for it.

Rolf NB

Crisco said:
The PS3 software situation is just abysmal. How much worse is it's software sales compared to the 360 when it's installed base was about the same as the PS3 is now? Seems like it's way worse. Also, is there any data on PSN sales? Stuff like Flower and Pixeljunk games? You can't even pirate games for the fucking thing, so it either means everyone with a PS3 has gamefly or people just don't buy games for it.
There is little weirdness about systems with half the install base selling half the amount of games.

AniHawk

idofriar1313 said:
Wow, thanks Anihawk for making me feel stupid.

OK, so it's obvious. Wii Sports at #1 for July. Madden #1 August. Perhaps I'm more interested in whats at those 2-10 spots....

I got nothing..

Batman: Dark Asylum, Beatles Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Wolfenstein (maybe), and Metroid Prime Trilogy (depends how/if it's marketed).

inFAMOUS fans are generally PS3 fans.

PS3 fans should want Red Faction to sell much better than the rumored numbers show. Unless they want 360 to start getting some bigger free exclusives.

AniHawk said:
Not even close.

EDIT: Okay, it's definitely top ten, probably top five material. I just said that to be dramatic.

What other franchise has been this dominant on a yearly bases for 20 years? Remember, this is an NPD thread, so if you just look at US sales numbers, Madden is ALWAYS in the top five and is often the best-selling title of the year.

It's also got more mainstream/casual appeal than anything this side of Wii Sports AND it has had its own TV show for years on ESPN. What more proof do you need? :)

NYCrooner

I think another thing to take into account when discussing sales of Wii titles is how easily and commonly the Wii is hacked by so many "core gamers". The gamers are ones that would have most likely bought The Conduit but will likely decide against it since the reviews have been luke warm. So they'll just pirate it. So while the Wii userbase is huge, a large portion of that is "casual" or "non-gamer" who could care less about a game like Madworld. So that only leaves the "core gamer" and as I've already theorized, I'm thinking those on the fence may have pirated it or gamefly it.

Fredescu

dammitmattt said:
And the biggest franchise in gaming, Madden, in what looks like a banner year.
Wikipedia says 8th biggest for whatever that's worth. It's probably much higher if you only count the US though, and if we're talking about NPD numbers you are.

Fredescu

dammitmattt said:
What other franchise has been this dominant on a yearly bases for 20 years? Remember, this is an NPD thread, so if you just look at US sales numbers, Madden is ALWAYS in the top five and is often the best-selling title of the year.
That's a lot of qualifiers, and the "on a yearly basis" bit is kinda unfair. It's at least the "biggest franchise in the US that is released yearly". "Biggest franchise in gaming" is too dramatic.

AniHawk said:
Batman: Dark Asylum, Beatles Rock Band, Guitar Hero 5, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Wolfenstein (maybe), and Metroid Prime Trilogy (depends how/if it's marketed).

Wasn't Batman pushed to Holidays?

Guitar Hero 5 won't sell if* Smash Hits is any indication. I think (hoping) people are getting sick of Guitar Hero.

Beatles is September, I'm talking about the summer (as in the usual downtime/drought we gamers get)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is, again, Fall.

Metroid Prime: They're probably the best games of last generation, but they never sell phenomenally. Usually they have legs 'till they reach a million or so, and then drop off.

At this point, it's like your trying to prove me wrong. Get some fresh air man. :lol

AniHawk

dammitmattt said:

It's also got more mainstream/casual appeal than anything this side of Wii Sports AND it has had its own TV show for years on ESPN. What more proof do you need? :)

While not yearly releases, Pokemon's bigger, just by the number of units sold. So is Mario. Neither of those games have the number of SKUs released that Madden's had (though not for a lack of trying). Madden's only big in the US, and I realize that it makes sense to say so in a thread about US sales, but to say it's the entire industry's biggest franchise is false.

Biggest sports franchise? Sure (despite Wii Sport's massive worldwide appeal, it's not like Nintendo can just keep releasing it year after year). Biggest football franchise? Definitely.

Sadist

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is going to sell an insane amount of copies on 360.

Guitar Hero 5 and Rock Band Beatles aswell. I'm kind of wondering what will happen to Batman DA. The Dark Knight hype is dead ofcourse and we had one decent selling Batman game already. (Lego Batman, which is fun) I'm also curious of Madden 10 Wii. Will the new artstyle help?

bcn-ron said:
There is little weirdness about systems with half the install base selling half the amount of games.

Consider this - most of the early adopters (let's say the first 2-3 million) tend to be your most invested and hardcore. After that, you're slowing branching out into more and more casual audiences that were waiting for price drops and other incentives to jump in. A large chunk of this audience is more value-conscious and will mostly stick to cheap or used games outside of the occasional blockbuster. For the most part, it's still your initial, primary userbase that's absolutely carrying sales, ESPECIALLY in the non-holiday months. It's the whole "20% of your audience buys 80% of your games" phenomenon that's been written about many times.

So the answer is no, a system with half of the install base shouldn't be selling half as many games. It should be doing a good deal better than that.

Fredescu

AniHawk said:
Biggest football franchise? Definitely.
If we can count all things football, FIFA is really close. I wouldn't be suprised if it's slightly ahead actually. Wikipedia lists 65 million total for FIFA citing an article from 07 and Madden at 70 million citing an article from 08.

Fredescu said:
Wikipedia says 8th biggest for whatever that's worth. It's probably much higher if you only count the US though, and if we're talking about NPD numbers you are.

On that list, only Mario, Pokemon, and possibly Tetris sold more copies in the US than Madden. Keep in mind that out of those 70 million copies sold, roughty 65 million were sold in the US. Plus, it's slightly unfair because Mario and Pokemon have been in so many different types of games. Madden is just Madden.

xbhaskarx

Accident said:
152 games in the leak, all over 20k

NDS:42
Wii:34
360:32
PS3:17
PS2:15
PSP:12

Accident said:
Totals from the leaked numbers.

360: 2.51M
Wii:2.30M
NDS:1.89M
PS3:1.33M
PS2:0.46M
PSP:0.36M

Wow, so those 12 PSP games had average sales of 30k. That is really low (for comparison it's 78k for the 32 X360 games).

Knowing very little about the PSP, my question is: Why does any company besides Sony make PSP games? I don't get it, can the games really be profitable with these kind of sales numbers? Even if they are, why would a company not make their game for the 360, Wii, or DS instead? The opportunity cost of releasing a PSP game seems huge given the lack of sales relative to other platforms...

Does anyone know how those leaked numbers got out?

Would anyone have thought in June 09 Halo Wars would be selling the same amount as KZ2? Let alone Halo 3 doubling KZ2 sales..

And what a huge success UFC has been. I said wow.

xbhaskarx

MightyHedgehog said:
Is that all tracked current titles that sit over 20k? If so, holy crap at the Playstation family, in terms of software sales, in the US. Moribund is a pretty good adjective for PSP and PS3.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say...

onipex

EatChildren said:
What disappointments me about The Conduit's sales is mostly to do with the size of the installbase. Yeah, 9 days compared to 3 weeks, and average reviews potentially damaging sales via word-of-mouth, but the Wii's installbase is so damn high you expect some kind of guarenty.

And sadly, The Conduit really hasn't 'proven' a point either way. It could have legs like CoD:WaW and prove that an installbase is there, one that was wary of quality, or it could prove that the fabled 'core' installbase just doesn't exist in a way that will guaranty high sales for these kinds of games.

By the end of the year it will be interesting to see sales of games like Red Steel 2 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I don't really expect the latter to sell all that well, considering it's genre and diminishing fanbase, but I am interested in its sales comparisons to something like Homecoming and Origins.

I think it is sad that people still think a game has to prove that the core base is there. I guess the core games that have sold well prove nothing, because every hyped up core game has to sell well.

At this point it does not matter anyway. More core games are coming to the Wii even if the Conduit does not sell over 100k by the end of this month.

KirmiziBeyaz said:
Doesn't matter if its not a great game..

Didn't stop Killzone or Carnival Games.

Both had very big ad campaigns and both are fun games.

HiResDes

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Oh man.

The Prototype Infamous fallout is gold.

It's like arguing over who has the better hamburger.

McDonald's or Wendy's.
Who argues about that it's easily Wendy's, but McDonald's has better fries, duh.

jvm

Gamasutra.
xbhaskarx said:
Wow, so those 12 PSP games had average sales of 30k. That is really low (for comparison it's 78k for the 32 X360 games).

Knowing very little about the PSP, my question is: Why does any company besides Sony make PSP games? I don't get it, can the games really be profitable with these kind of sales numbers? Even if they are, why would a company not make their game for the 360, Wii, or DS instead? The opportunity cost of releasing a PSP game seems huge given the lack of sales relative to other platforms...
Without going into too much detail, I believe Sony, EA, and Activision are the primary companies publishing on the PSP. They are probably the only ones making much money there.

Jokeropia

Mr.Potato Head said:
I said last year during Wii's onslaught of monthly sales that 360 would stay solid, maintain composer and at the end of the fight *end of this gen* 360 has a VERY GOOD chance at being the #1 selling console after all thats said and done...and this could be the beginning of that happening
You are completely fucking delusional.
speculawyer said:
People need to let it go. If you are a fan of FPS games, then pick up a 360 or PS3.
Being used to IR pointer aiming, analog stick aiming feels as dated as it made d-pad aiming feel when it first came around.
Opiate said:
This is important. Not only are Wii sales down and 360 sales up, but the 360 is once again selling more software than the Wii is.
Sales across the top 152 games does not necessarily reflect total software sales.
Opiate said:
There is definitely a worldwide decline in Wii demand.
Note that if the UK numbers are true, Wii actually increased in the rest of Europe to make up for it. Total sales in Europe during the first 17 weeks are flat YoY.

theBishop

Banned
yoopoo said:
You Conduit fanboys should thank KillZone 2, if it wasn't for that game Conduit would be considered dud of the generation.

Thanks to this post, I've officially come around on Sale-Age threads. I will now enjoy them the way I enjoy listening to Michael Savage or Glenn Beck AM radio.

theBishop

Banned
jvm said:
Without going into too much detail, I believe Sony, EA, and Activision are the primary companies publishing on the PSP. They are probably the only ones making much money there.

:/ Not Take Two?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AniHawk said:

I'll dance the dance of joy of Metroid Prime Trilogy makes the Top 10. It's the one franchise that more people need to play.

Top Bottom