• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Gartooth

Its great to see Mario Kart turn the Wii U around, hopefully this continues into the fall with Smash Bros.

As for Xbox One, I think it has already succumbed to the fate the PS3 had last gen. Even with all the great exclusives, price cuts, and features the PS3 had, it was unable to ever catch up to 360 (in US mostly) and I don't see that trend changing despite the role reversal between the two.

Sheroking

Having the Zelda IP will help in North America, being a musou will help Japan.

Being on a bit of a momentum train between Mario Kart and Smash Brothers is not going to hurt either game. I do legitimately believe Smash in the biggest fall exclusive on any platform. And then there's Amiibo, which who knows about that. Could be big for Nintendo's christmas.

Don't think it's unrealistic at all that Nintendo finds a stronger month-to-month base going into next year.

Here's *JULY* 2001:
Code:
1	PS2	Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec	 $50 	Sony		573,296	NEW
2	GBA	Super Mario Advance	 $30 	Nintendo	138,604 / 517,721
3	PS2	NBA Street	 	 $51 	EA		124,594	/ 275,756
4	PS2	NCAA Football 2002	 $52 	EA		121,216	NEW
5	GBA	Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 $40 	Activision	72,840	/ 233,513
6	DC	Sonic Adventure 2	 $41 	Sega		71,259	/ 186,112
7	PSX	Final Fantasy Chronicles $41 	Square EA	71,180	/ 125,720
8	PS2	Twisted Metal: Black	 $51 	Sony		69,806	/ 242,394
9	PSX	Gran Turismo 2	 	 $21 	Sony	  	58,349	/ 2,362,667
10	N64	Mario Party 3	 	 $50 	Nintendo	53,654	/ 315,914

You know you're doing well when you have GT3 and GT2 in the top ten.

Nintendo:
Sony:
iCsILUVq0f1cl.gif

LOL - what is the story behind this?

I consider myself quite the gamer, which is why I am pleased that gamers have sent a clear message to any future would-be console maker that the way Xbox One's policies were revealed is wrong. That architecting a game console with gaming as a second priority is wrong. That continuing to use PR spin while ignoring major promises like Cloud and DX12 at major press conferences is wrong. That trying to parade a CEO who cut 400 million dollar checks to the NFL as gamings next messiah is WRONG.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Taking it for granted that gamers will simply line up for said machine with a few soundbites and montages to razzle dazzle the feeble-minded consumer. WRONG. Oh, I am the gamer, here. Point the finger at me again if you like, I have ammunition all day and all night.

Yeah I get your points and actually agree with some of them. However the reason I said what I posted was the way you come across in that previous post was almost infantile, if I have that wrong I'm sorry. I don't know if you are a long term viewer here but I've seen people lynched for less than what you said about different platforms over the years. Absolutely lynched for pages.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I wonder if this will be the end of Microsoft adding more storage at the same price point instead of providing actual price drops at logical intervals. Xbox 360 (and subsequently, PS3) were continually priced as if the Wii didn't happen. It is not like either of them were the PS2.

Hyrule Warriors is kinda hard to predict.
It might sell on fan service alone but a Musou game is still Musou = review scores will be super low.

It's gonna do pretty well as long as it's fun to play. The review scores don't mean shit. It's Zelda and the popularity of the franchise can carry mediocre games. This will be an example of that. It'll launch 150k-200k imo.

It's definitely bad for XB1. I saw all kinds of sales for it throughout the month on top of the $100 price cut. Yet, it still couldn't beat the PS4.

To me, It's good to see this happening because of how they tried to take advantage of the good will of their loyal customers. I'm sure having inferior hardware has a lot to do with it, but I think the backlash from last year may still be a factor.

I mean this seriously: What about Halo?

I figured Halo is going to make some great sales... but then again, it's a collection of older games. How good is the Halo 2 MP sauce to sell consoles...with new games like Destiny making a partnership with Sony?

Is there any hope past Halo?

I can't predict the future, but I'm excited for the Halo Collection. One of the reasons I own the console was for Halo and Fable. Though the current direction Fable is going worries me. The question is, will it be a big enough bump? The way things are going, doubtful. Only time will tell. Sony is getting the bigger userbase insensitive now. The general public is already starting to believe PS4 will come out ahead ever month. Remember PS4 has the marketing deal with GTA5 and Destiny too.... It obviously worked for Watch Dogs. It's going to be tough.

prwxv3

In terms of market share in regions they used to dominate, yeah, it's a pretty big deal.

I dont know why people are forgetting that the 360 beat the ps3 so bad in US that they were even footing worldwide after ps3 turned around. They are loosing a shit ton of marketshare to sony who would be happy selling the same amount of consoles as MS in the US.

Evenflow

Why does everyone seem to assume U sales will fall off a cliff? Mario Kart is arguably the strongest EVERGREEN system seller in all of gaming, it is not at all a frontloaded seller. It will be selling systems 2 years from now regardless of what other games come out or supposed momentum you think they need. The U baseline will be increased period.

Kouriozan

It's gonna do pretty well as long as it's fun to play. The review scores don't mean shit. It's Zelda and the popularity of the franchise can carry mediocre games. This will be an example of that. It'll launch 150k-200k imo.
Yeah, with good marketing it might do surprising numbers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I mean this seriously: What about Halo?

I figured Halo is going to make some great sales... but then again, it's a collection of older games. How good is the Halo 2 MP sauce to sell consoles...with new games like Destiny making a partnership with Sony?

Is there any hope past Halo?

I have to imagine a lot of Halo fans have already boarded the Xbox One, much like Titanfall sold consoles in advance. There will still be a percentage that is actually waiting for Halo 5, or perhaps this collection, to drop but I'm sure the anticipation of that franchise already drove sales.

Why does everyone seem to assume U sales will fall off a cliff? Mario Kart is arguably the strongest EVERGREEN system seller in all of gaming, it is not at all a frontloaded seller. It will be selling systems 2 years from now regardless of what other games come out or supposed momentum you think they need. The U baseline will be increased period.

Didn't it fall of a cliff in Japan? That'd be why

I can't imagine many people give a shit about Halo 5 after how badly 343 butchered 4. On the other hand the thirst is real for millions of people that want to play halo 1,2,3 online in 1080p and 60fps. Shit's gonna sell 10 million easily.

MCC is going to sell 10 million , man i really want some of what you smoking .
At X1 current rate it going to take maybe more than year before if even get to 10 million plus no remake is goings sell as good as a main line game .

ItsLeebo

Banned
Little bump? The increase in console sales should be huge considering the fact the the game will be releasing in November.

I meant a little bump in terms of November sales. Like you expect the holiday numbers to be around the same and I feel a little bump in regards to how many the Halo MCC pushes would be a pretty safe prediction.

C4Lukins

Hyrule Warriors is kinda hard to predict.
It might sell on fan service alone but a Musou game is still Musou = review scores will be super low.

I bet it does well for what it is. I think traditional Nintendo fans will pick it up if it is marketed well. I doubt it will move the needle as far as console sales, but it could be a nice filler title that sells a decent number of copies. Even as someone who does not own a Wii U yet, I sort of dig Dynasty Warriors and with a coat of Zelda paint it would become much more compelling to me.

Have you heard the good word of Minecraft, my young friend?

Not seeing a reason for Wii U optimism. I see this as purely an MK8 bump. Although I'm sure it will get another bump when Smash Bros shows up.

Microsoft is going to have to go for a real price drop if they want to get back in front in NA. It would be nice to see them hit $350 right before Destiny shows up.

PS4 is clearly in the drivers seat. Only chance I see that reversing in NA is if Microsoft gets really aggressive on price. Microsoft should probably act soon, because Sony's 2015 is already looking stronger than the competition.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Shipments of 2.5 million for Mario Kart 8 and 600-700k (Wii U) for Nintendo's Q1 seems guaranteed at this point.

Nonetheless Q1 3DS HW & SW is going to be down comparatively to last year.

I'm not positive the above is enough for Nintendo to post an operating profit for Q1 even with their active stance on IP licensing.

Q3 is going to be crucial for Nintendo's guidance for FY15. It's a good start nonetheless.

Mr Swine

Banned
MCC is going to sell 10 million man i want some of what you smoking .
At X1 current rate it going to take maybe more than year before if even get to 10 million plus no remake is goings sell as good as a main line game .

Didn't you hear? MS is stockpiling 5 million Xbones for the MCC release! MS will have their best NPD ever!

Top Bottom