• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

YMMV on this but...

Don't forget for Nintendo this is retail only while every GAFer has been buying the units direct from Nintendo which won't be counted in these numbers as far as we know.

They're refurbs though, so they were already counted.

Unless Nintendo is selling new units as refurbs and this is a clever way to have a fire sale while saving face hehehe...

Price really isn't the only deciding factor here. Why do people keep acting like the masses secretly desire the Xbox One but decide settle with PS4 because of pricing?

It's simply not true. The PS4 is the hot product. Consumers aren't settling for the inferior product just because they can save 50 bucks. Not a chance. They want the PS4 because the market decided that it's the console to get.

Microsoft dropping the X1 to 350 right before Destiny will do nothing for them except lose them lots of money. PS4 has all the Destiny mindshare, marketing and the superior version of the game. People aren't stupid.

Yup. People are educating themselves before making the dive into current gen. They are WANTING the PS4. Not settling for the PS4.

Vast.

Banned
No, but the price difference was the last thing the Xbox One people had left to "justify" the sales difference.
The price difference is a MAJOR reason for the sales disparity but definitely not the only reason and consumer perception and momentum is also with the PS4.

The vast majority of people knew that this wouldn't mean that XBO outsells PS4 but that its a necessary move to stay competitive. And I guarantee that sales are far closer now than they were in past months.

There's some narrative spun by some people that suggests that all Xbox fans were totally relying on the price drop for it to become market leader again but that's just not true.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Really believed Microsoft had a chance to win this month just because of the price cut ...i guess i was wrong there

I didn't it's an sku change rather than a true price cut. If It was the Titanfall SKU at the price point it may have actually had a chance like in the UK

nib95

Banned
Well, on its own perhaps not, but with Sunset Overdrive too (and Forza Horizon 2 although thats on 360 as well) plus the "special offers and fantastic deals" they mentioned in their release yesterday I think it will have a better chance in a period of new releases with exclusives, marketing deals for titles than it would in June when they had nothing to add to the new sku in a month that is traditionally one of the worst in the year for sales...

I would expect those offers to be two games bundled with the system like they've done for years on 360, so that along with the new games are much more likely to have an effect than just the Kinectless Xbox One in June

I doubt Forza Horizon 2 or Sunset Overdrive will do much to help. Just like I don't think Driveclub or Little Big Planet 3 will either. I feel like this Fall belongs to the big multi platform games like Destiny, COD, Assassin's Creed, GTA V Remaster etc. The Master Chief Collection has a chance at moving some systems I suppose, but it's difficult to gauge just how much of an impact it'll have.

Microsoft just has to keep the updates and games coming then see what happens and price cut for the fall if they haven't improved.

What must be worrying is even buying exclusives could be hard to come by with the PS4 success so first party or bust and that means waiting a long time for games as they ramp up new studios and game development.

Good point. For once they are going to have to rely more on first-party titles to get any kind of sales boosts and er...I can't see that going too well in the long run.

Duxxy3

PS4 is gonna kill Xbox One the next 3 months at minimum. Depending on supply on the Destiny PS4 bundle I can see PS4 breaking 400k in September. Wii U might be Xbox One the next 2 months as well considering the legs Mario Kart games have.

I would still watch out for November and December. They are going to bundle like crazy.

PS4 wont be selling jack **** in Japan till actual games suiting the audience actually hit. FF15 will save the PS4 in Japan.

A single game cant save a console, though. And I doubt FF15 will be that lone savior considering the decline of the FF franchise in Japan.

Bundy

Banned
Wow. No MS PR?

We only have Sony PR. They simply posted this .gif:

FdYtCww.gif

Sure they are - don't let their 'we do our own thing' talk fool ya. Reggie even mentioned how they were in second place in an interview @ e3.

Nah, they don't care; Reggie's words don't mean much when you take NCL's real life actions into account (NCL is more focused on the threat of their mobile competitors at the moment, for obvious reasons.)

Unless retail platformers and other family/casual-focused games start consistently selling well over 3 million copies on PS4, Nintendo won't be very reactive to anything that MS or Sony does.

Edit: They basically do their own "thing" because no other console manufacturer does their "thing" in the modern retail space anymore.

urfe

They're refurbs though, so they were already counted.

Unless Nintendo is selling new units as refurbs and this is a clever way to have a fire sale while saving face hehehe...

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but this is what I honestly thought they were doing. Take back unsold Nintendoland bundles from angry retailers, and sell them cheap. It would be a good move if it was the truth.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
140k for Wii U is ok neither good neither bad, it was their most important ip btw.

3DS is goind down fast, last year was like 220k or so.

You're comparing Animal Crossing's launch to Tomodachi Life. All things considered Tomodachi did amazingly well for being the 3DS's only release that month.

C4Lukins

Mostly to people who already own the console.

That could be true. But there are a lot of Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 fans out there who seem to have lost interest in the series. The crazy ass work they have done with this collection could have a decent impact in bringing them back. It is not suddenly going to make XOne number 1 but as far as software sales I expect it to blow FFX HD away.

Hoo-doo

Banned
While you've never been wrong about any predication you've ever made?

I'd suggest not entering this debate with that post history of yours. Come on, noobasuar.
You have made many knee-jerk predictions that ended up so absurdly wrong so many times it boggles the mind that you're not considered an actual troll account. Maybe you are, I don't know.

You usually make Pachter look well-informed.

Ryuuga

Banned
60k > 140k

?

unless we're operating under a different definition of the word "sales"..

I probably should have clarified. I was expecting a bigger splash considering MK8 released to much praise and the narrative post E3 was that WII U is the place to be. Not saying that isn't the case, but the sales certainly don't reflect that.

Sakura

Wii U sales are pretty good. At this rate it will be hard for XBO to overtake Wii U WW LTD sales.
Not surprising the Xbox One was outsold by the PS4. It's not like everyone in America really wanted an XBO but were forced to buy PS4s thus far because of the price. PS4 is a superior system. There are no major exclusives on either. The price is equal. Obviously the PS4 will be on top. The gap will only continue to get bigger.

Halo 4 sold 8 or 9 mil, boss. I agree that it won't be a big system seller, but it will move boxes. The hype surrounding it is way more intense than I would have thought when it was initially leaked.

Do you have a source for this? I was trying to find Halo 4 LTD before but couldn't.

Price really isn't the only deciding factor here. Why do people keep acting like the masses secretly desire the Xbox One but decide settle with PS4 because of pricing?

It's simply not true. The PS4 is the hot product. Consumers aren't settling for the inferior product just because they can save 50 bucks. Not a chance. They want the PS4 because the market decided that it's the console to get.

Microsoft dropping the X1 to 350 right before Destiny will do nothing for them except lose them lots of money. PS4 has all the Destiny mindshare, marketing and the superior version of the game. People aren't stupid.

The majority of the market hasn't spoken. Most console gamers are still on last Gen consoles. We have to wait many years to get a good picture. How do you explain all of the ps3 owners settling for lower resolution games?

noobasuar

Banned
Your predictions are giving Pachter a run for his money, that's the thing...

Yes it must be such a crazy predication to think that one of the most popular and best selling console FPS of all time returning with some of the greatest maps playable across Halo 1, 2, 3 in 60fps and 1080p when most of those games haven't been able to be enjoyed online on xbox in like 15 years might sell really well.

Such a crazy predication.

FuturusX

There's an enthusiasm gap between the platforms. MS will need to bridge that before we can even talk about winning a month on NPD.

I probably should have clarified. I was expecting a bigger splash considering MK8 released to much praise and the narrative post E3 was that WII U is the place to be. Not saying that isn't the case, but the sales certainly don't reflect that.

Well, you can't expect a complete turn around over night.

Biker19

Banned
US indeed has gotten in bed with Sony again.

I don't why people would think that just because MS is an American company, that it would be automatic for them to lead in sales.

just goes to show that greed, arrogance, and looking down on the consumer as some sort of parasite will haunt you

They always make that mistake & assume that just because that the Xbox is an "American console," means that Xbox will always be on top in general. There is no brand loyalty in the U.S. when it comes to products. Heck, Nintendo used to be big in the U.S. along with Sega (with Genesis/MegaDrive). Sony was very big in the U.S. with PS1 & PS2.

People will go for the best product which appeals to them.

Fangrim

The price difference is a MAJOR reason for the sales disparity but definitely not the only reason and consumer perception and momentum is also with the PS4.

The vast majority of people knew that this wouldn't mean that XBO outsells PS4 but that its a necessary move to stay competitive. And I guarantee that sales are far closer now than they were in past months.

There's some narrative spun by some people that suggests that all Xbox fans were totally relying on the price drop for it to become market leader again but that's just not true.

I agree fully, except for the last paragraph.

Sales are closer, no doubt in my mind about that. I do, however, have the impression that the Xbox "supporters" who participate in the console wars, hung all their hopes on the Kinectless SKU and price parity for the consoles.

There's an enthusiasm gap between the platforms. MS will need to bridge that before we can even talk about winning a month on NPD.

Is there? I mean, tbh X1 gets pretty well all the same games as the PS4. The only enthusiasm gap is its the weaker system and now costs the same. Basically, I don't see it as possible for the X1 to ever close the gap on the PS4 unless it secures some huge exclusive (real exclusive not timed) or it has a minecraft level break out hit.

Raziel

Yes it must be such a crazy predication to think that one of the most popular and best selling console FPS of all time returning with some of the greatest maps playable across Halo 1, 2, 3 in 60fps and 1080p when most of those games haven't been able to be enjoyed online on xbox in like 15 years might sell really well.

Halo MCC selling more copies than Xbox One units sold is pretty crazy.

Well, when put together with this:

Yes. GTA V just came out last year and sold what like 40 million copies? I doubt there's that many people willing to drop another $60 for an improved version whereas people haven't been able to play Halo 2 maps online for like 10 years, and that games multiplayer is considered one of the best console FPS experience of all time. Couple that with Halo 1 maps being online and Halo 3 maps and you got yourself a winner.

You'll all see soon enough. :)

I think we might have another winner. GTAV next gen will sell more. Don't forget the PC version.

The question is "how many hardcore Halo fans already have an Xbone vs. how many hardcore Halo fans were just waiting for Halo." It's a real question, since it's not inconceivable to figuremany of Halo's biggest fans are probably big fans of the Xbox brand and have already purchased Xbones. That's what the question is...how big will the Halo Collection "bump" be?

I really, really want to play the Halo HD collection, but I'm really baffled why people think it will buck the trend of every other HD re-release to date which have all drastically undersold real sequels. For every hardcore fan itching to drop $50 to relive the greatness, there are 3 other fans for whom that game was a phase sophomore year.

If it puts up odst numbers it would be impressive, if only because of the user base disparity.

Percy

Banned

It's still just a port collection tho. Most people probably won't want to buy games they already have/have played.

Top Bottom