• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Especially when you factor in the fact that most FPS games released these days have awful balance and map design. I see it being very, very big.

There are barely 5 million XB1 owners out there yet you think it's gonna sell 5 million?

Wow.

EDIT: You edited which sounds more sensible :)

Fangrim

ps4h.gif

Guess this is pretty accurate...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I see Halo MCC is strong with the chalkboards... I really doubt it will do much.

Agree, November NPD thread might end up being as amusing as March. I think MCC will have solid legs and sell for a long time but it's not going to win the month for MS.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is it weird if I think the Halo collection will sell ok, but GTAV will be huge? I could totally see that happening.
Halo Collection will not be on PS4 or Steam, so it doesn't seem weird at all. I just wonder if GTA V multiplayer is going to get any better on the new hardware, or if "it is what it is" at this point.

So I take this will finally shut up everyone who was inferring that people would buy the XB1 over the PS4 if they were the same price?

So much anger.

You really thought the X1 was going to out sell the PS4 at the same price? All of a sudden the less powerful console doesn't mean anything. All the people who say the DRM stuff and E3 2013 really hurt the brand.. all of a sudden that's gone? The 3rd party games that aren't at the same resolution that you say "why would you buy the less powerful version of the game" type of comment.. now all of a sudden the X1 should of beat the PS4 in sales for the month?

ha ha.. not even this Xbox here thought that. Not until they realize they need to go to 299 no kinect, 399 with it.

The funniest thing in these threads is the people who go "Well duh, everyone expected the PS4 to trounce the X1 in sales after the 100$ pricedrop!" - Like it's the most logical thing in the world.
Yeah but after seeing that the X1 didn't get a hardware boost from Titanfall, I don't think betting against Sony would have been a good prediction this month.

North America has become PlayStationland. It's amazing how quickly the market changed.

This is the cruel reality for Microsoft. At $399, consumers in their strongest territory are seeing more value in their main competitors' offering that is equally priced. This is really bad news for Microsoft, because it means that Microsoft will have to undercut the PS4 by a significant amount to make a serious dent. Will Microsoft tolerate another $100 price drop so soon?

It should be clear by now that Microsoft has lost their home advantage. It's going to take everything they've got (and a big scoop of luck) to reverse their fortunes in NA. With the PS4's hardware advantage, it's going to be really really tough for Microsoft to convince people to purchase COD/Madden/GTAV/AC/Destiny on XB1 instead of PS4.

Fall 2014 is going to be a bloodbath.

US indeed has gotten in bed with Sony again.

i dont why people would think that just because MS is an american company that it would be automatic for them to lead in sales.

just goes to show that greed, arrogance, and looking down on the consumer as some sort of parasite will haunt you

PS4 has this gen on lock down.

Agreed. Microsoft has no momentum in Europe and of course the likes of Japan are a fart in the wind. Losing in their own territory I can't see changing much for a while. If they don't learn from all this if they do make another box then I don't know what will.

USC-fan

Banned
If Bungie gets Destiny at 1080p like their promising on the X1, it nullifies that whole argument. The damage may already be done, however...

It not just about resolution, it also how the games runs. I have little faith that if they are still struggling getting it to 1080 this late in the dev cycle its going to run 1080 great. Ps4 is already at 1080p and runs great.

So it doesnt nullifies anything.

Most people will say they want a solid frame rate over resolution.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
YMMV on this but...

Don't forget for Nintendo this is retail only while every GAFer has been buying the units direct from Nintendo which won't be counted in these numbers as far as we know.

PS4 is gonna kill Xbox One the next 3 months at minimum. Depending on supply on the Destiny PS4 bundle I can see PS4 breaking 400k in September. Wii U might be Xbox One the next 2 months as well considering the legs Mario Kart games have.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not seeing a reason for Wii U optimism. I see this as purely an MK8 bump. Although I'm sure it will get another bump when Smash Bros shows up.

Microsoft is going to have to go for a real price drop if they want to get back in front in NA. It would be nice to see them hit $350 right before Destiny shows up.

PS4 is clearly in the drivers seat. Only chance I see that reversing in NA is if Microsoft gets really aggressive on price. Microsoft should probably act soon, because Sony's 2015 is already looking stronger than the competition.

Price really isn't the only deciding factor here. Why do people keep acting like the masses secretly desire the Xbox One but decide settle with PS4 because of pricing?

It's simply not true. The PS4 is the hot product. Consumers aren't settling for the inferior product just because they can save 50 bucks. Not a chance. They want the PS4 because the market decided that it's the console to get.

Microsoft dropping the X1 to 350 right before Destiny will do nothing for them except lose them lots of money. PS4 has all the Destiny mindshare, marketing and the superior version of the game. People aren't stupid.

People shouldn't put too much faith in Halo MCC moving a bunch of units, Halo's popularity is nowhere where it used to be since Halo 3. I hope for their sake there is a bundle for it.

Biker19

Banned
PS4 on top again? Beast. You gotta switch it up a bit, same position gets stale after a while.

Why not? Xbox 360 had been in the lead over PS3 in the U.S. for 32 months straight before the GTA V bundle came around for PS3 & broke it's winning streak.

noobasuar

Banned
Is it weird if I think the Halo collection will sell ok, but GTAV will be huge? I could totally see that happening.

Yes. GTA V just came out last year and sold what like 40 million copies? I doubt there's that many people willing to drop another $60 for an improved version whereas people haven't been able to play Halo 2 maps online for like 10 years, and that games multiplayer is considered one of the best console FPS experience of all time. Couple that with Halo 1 maps being online and Halo 3 maps and you got yourself a winner.

You'll all see soon enough. :)

bebop242

Little bump? The increase in console sales should be huge considering the fact the the game will be releasing in November.

Not so sure on that. By then Destiny will have picked up more steam and could be "the" game to get this holiday season. People are looking for a "next gen" experience not some collection of old games. Having Destiny strongly associated with Playstation could be the best move Sony could have done software wise.

The Halo bundle will def sell xboxs but imo not as much as you seem to think.

I made that predication before either console was revealed and with the assumption that the Xbone would have backwards compatibility. Nice try tho.

It's ok dude, your posts usually don't fail to amuse.

Well, on its own perhaps not, but with Sunset Overdrive too (and Forza Horizon 2 although thats on 360 as well) plus the "special offers and fantastic deals" they mentioned in their release yesterday I think it will have a better chance in a period of new releases with exclusives, marketing deals for titles than it would in June when they had nothing to add to the new sku in a month that is traditionally one of the worst in the year for sales...

I would expect those offers to be two games bundled with the system like they've done for years on 360, so that along with the new games are much more likely to have an effect than just the Kinectless Xbox One in June

Fair enough. A HD remaster in itself will not push sales significantly, but it will be a support, that is true.

Fangrim

So much anger.

You really thought the X1 was going to out sell the PS4 at the same price? All of a sudden the less powerful console doesn't mean anything. All the people who say the DRM stuff and E3 2013 really hurt the brand.. all of a sudden that's gone? The 3rd party games that aren't at the same resolution that you say "why would you buy the less powerful version of the game" type of comment.. now all of a sudden the X1 should of beat the PS4 in sales for the month?

ha ha.. not even this Xbox here thought that. Not until they realize they need to go to 299 no kinect, 399 with it.

No, but the price difference was the last thing the Xbox One people had left to "justify" the sales difference.

C4Lukins

Perhaps because it's even worse than I thought?

It is crazy. I have a much younger sister who had a birthday and I spent a week visiting her and being surrounded by her friends. Everyone had an IPhone and they were all playing Candy Crush and that Witch Bust a Move game. The younger guys were playing some RTS style game. I want to hit them all over the head, but sadly these free to pay games are the norm around the youth I have encountered.

Zalman

Microsoft has no chance in Japan and Europe (outside of maybe the UK), and they still can't get NA despite the pricecut. Not really sure what else they can do. They are in a pretty tight spot.

Kiote

Curious, Sony said PS4+PS3 outsold XBOne+X360, but did it outsell WiiU+3DS?

Not really a fair comparison, but I am curious. Do they still sell Wiis?

jelly

Microsoft just has to keep the updates and games coming then see what happens and price cut for the fall if they haven't improved.

What must be worrying is even buying exclusives could be hard to come by with the PS4 success so first party or bust and that means waiting a long time for games as they ramp up new studios and game development.

TheXbox

People shouldn't put too much faith in Halo MCC moving a bunch of units, Halo's popularity is nowhere where it used to be since Halo 3. I hope for their sake there is a bundle for it.
Halo 4 sold 8 or 9 mil, boss. I agree that it won't be a big system seller, but it will move boxes. The hype surrounding it is way more intense than I would have thought when it was initially leaked.

Top Bottom