• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Kifimbo said:
To put GTA: CW sales in perspective, Carnival Games sales in January 2008, several months after it was launch, were around 80k. For that month alone. I know it was a Wii game, not a DS game, but if you are 2K, what type of game are you gonna create in the future for Nintendo's consoles ?

The question you need to ask is: how many copies of Carnival Games sold at launch? It's a game with legs on a Nintendo console. Hopefully GTA (and MadWorld) will have the same kind of sales trend.

GreekWolf

Just started RE5 this week (360), and have been having an absolute blast. I'm glad to see it's selling so well across two platforms, because the game is exceptional and certainly deserves every bit of recognition its received.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mamesj said:
you must not understand the demographic at all then. Animal Crossing is slow, quirky, and not instantaneously rewarding. You can pick up and play Mario Kart with other people and have a blast as soon as you boot the thing up.

It doesnt help that they have released the same game 3 times now.

Scrubking

legend166 said:
Look, it's just pretty clear what Opiate is saying is right. The 15-35 male, 'violence' demographic isn't on the Wii. At all.

No it's not. The guy doesn't like the Wii and he is always fishing for a reason to claim that the Wii isn't "hardcore" and can't sell "hardcore" games.

There are plenty of reasons why CW didn't capture the GTA fan the first one being that, as I said earlier, it resembles the old, unpopular 2D GTA games. People who jumped on board the GTA train with GTA3 and onwards are not going to jump on CW as they would another 3D GTA experience.

And this gloom and doom talk is so pathetic. It's like Call of Duty World at War didn't sell half a million copies (not to mention RE4, UC, NMH, etc). Yeah let's erase that from history. The Wii doesn't have that "hardcore" demographic. Madworld proves it. Just forget about all the other games that came before it.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
Seriously, I'll never understand the Nintendo fan desperate for 'mature', violent games. Makes no sense. Go buy a 360 and be happy.
I think the desire is for it to simply have a well rounded library with titles appealing to all demographics and tastes. When the Wii was setting the hardware charts alight early on, I think people even expected all the software to follow. It has since become obvious that it won't.

Grecco

DMeisterJ said:
GTA has always been about 2 things.

Big openings + Long Legs = $$$$

This one does not have a big opening. Now R* has to hope and pray that it has long legs, luckily DS games have legs. But the very small opening (smaller than the PSPs non-software selling self) is slightly disturbing, nonetheless.

Software still sold pretty well when GTA was on PSP. It wasnt like it never sold software.

markatisu

v1cious said:
yeah well i hope you enjoy them, cause you'll be seeing them for awhile.

We don't see them now, thats the point I was trying to get across to you. Going by the Top 10 Wii games over the last 3 months where are the party games? With the exception of Wii Play they do not reside on the systems big sellers and thus negate your point

Compared to 2007 and 2008 Ubisoft is releasing less of them, EA is releasing less of them,Sega has next to none of them, neither does Capcom, for a market that is dominated by it according to you it seems you are either out of touch or know something the rest of the industry does not

careful

_leech_ said:
It sold over 600K in a month + 1 week. How is that "fucking terrible"?
Snap, I forgot the game came out end of Feb. I guess 600k for opening month isn't so bad, but still nothing to write home about. I was just expecting a bit more for such a hotly anticipated game.

jrricky

Banned
lowrider007 said:
This tbh.
Actually, it still would have been disapointing for a game of its caliber. Oh and if you were being technical, it would have sold less than 612K since it had like an extra week too.

I could have sworn MGS4 had the highest budget of all games in history, but from reading the past posts, Killzone seems to be....which makes it even worse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
creamsugar said:
:/

I hope that one gets a boost when Sony releases their new PSP revision. Or perhaps they could make a bundle with the game when they do, it'd be a nice title to start people out with.

Omar Ismail said:
The averages I'm quoting are for programmers IN THE GAME INDUSTRY.

My bad. I stand corrected.

I was offered a job at a game dev company.

Informally, I was too (12 years ago). Blew my mind how low they were paying.

Regular programmers at places like Microsoft/Google/Amazon/etc will make 70K + options as a starting salary, with the average coming in over $120K easy.

That has nothing to do with the industry as a whole, a small minority of programmers work for such companies. And those compensation numbers are shrinking, but that's off-topic.

Barrett2

Oldschool said:
What about resistance PSP? Bombed hard too?

Unless its got 'Final Fantasy' or 'God of War' in the title, its not selling jack shit on the PSP. Nothing does. Too many rogues on the high seas....

Rolf NB

My prediction for The Conduit (and Bayonetta as well ...) was 3x Madworld in US NPD's first month of tracking. With the numbers in, that means the bar is set at 210k. I don't know whether to giggle or sob.

fernoca

So it's back to the whole "Nintendo consoles are for kids, therefore only "kiddie games" sell"??

Is this 1997?
What's next?
CDs (UMDs)>>> cartridges (cards) because of FMVs?

Grecco

lawblob said:
Unless its got 'Final Fantasy' or 'God of War' in the title, its not selling jack shit on the PSP. Nothing does. Too many rogues on the high seas....

Which admitedly makes the incredible amount of PSP announcements even more curious. I really cant wait for E3.

legend166 said:
Conduit will be lucky to reach 150k first month. donny is nuts.

Look, it's just pretty clear what Opiate is saying is right. The 15-35 male, 'violence' demographic isn't on the Wii. At all.

And it doesn't bother me. Hopefully we get more games like Little King's Story, Boom Blox and de Blob than Madworld and The Conduit.

Seriously, I'll never understand the Nintendo fan desperate for 'mature', violent games. Makes no sense. Go buy a 360 and be happy.

I agree with this post. I like variation in my gaming, so some mature games here and there are a nice departure, but they aren't primarily what I bought the Wii for.

Gwanatu T

fernoca said:
So it's back to the whole "Nintendo consoles are for kids, therefore only "kiddie games" sell"??

Is this 1997?
What's next?
CDs (UMDs)>>> cartridges (cards) because of FMVs?

Pretty much. That business article was a joke. DS is 'only for children'? Hilarious. I think a much better reason is because it's a 2D GTA, regardless of how good it is or not. 2D GTAs never sold that well for a reason; people outside of the ultra-core don't like them. Period.

As for Madworld, the more I dwell on it the more apparent it becomes to me that the art style of the game is probably what people don't "get". If it were not black and white and red, it probably would have done a lot better. Still it might hold on for a while and do well eventually, we'll have to wait and see.

andthebeatgoeson

Scrubking said:
There are plenty of reasons why CW didn't capture the GTA fan the first one being that, as I said earlier, it resembles the old, unpopular 2D GTA games. People who jumped on board the GTA train with GTA3 and onwards are not going to jump on CW as they would another 3D GTA experience.

And this gloom and doom talk is so pathetic. It's like Call of Duty World at War didn't sell half a million copies (not to mention RE4, UC, NMH, etc). Yeah let's erase that from history. The Wii doesn't have that "hardcore" demographic. Madworld proves it. Just forget about all the other games that came before it.
I usually don't agree with you but you're dead on now. I think we just need to leave the idea that Wii will sell gangbusters on a lot of games or even resurrect the gaming industry from it's current trajectory dead outside in the backyard. Some will have success and some will not on Wii. Sega made some weird decisions on Madworld and couldn't have expected a million seller. The adds don't line up with what the game is. It's almost as if they expected us to know the game is about chopping people's heads off. It's a complete hardcore game in the sense that you have to find out and search out what it is.

GTA: Chinatown-Fuck the sales, it's one of the best GTA games made and is a welcome departure and improvement over GTA4 in some ways. I'm glad it hit DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Grecco said:
Which admitedly makes the incredible amount of PSP announcements even more curious. I really cant wait for E3.
I think that's because when the console first came out we got around five to ten 1+ million selling titles and even two or three 2+ million selling titles. It was later that the entire market for it really died. If the rumors are true, this is basically the relaunch of the system, so now would pretty much be the best time to release a PSP game if you were ever going to do so.

If this crop flops though I wouldn't expect to see many more PSP games coming out until the successor.

Barrett2

Grecco said:

Yeah, it almost seems irresponsible at this point to spend any considerable amount of money developing for the PSP unless you KNOW it will sell.

IMO Sony should get creative with PSP software. Make every retail game a special edition. Put trinkets, plushies, tshirts, download codes, or some kind of random bullshit inside every UMD case sold at retail. Anything to motivate people to buy instead of pirate. Seems simple to me, even small carrots can motivate purchases.... but then again, im' not running a big, profitable company like Sony.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
lawblob said:
I think people get attached to certain sports franchises and don't want to change.

Probably the same thing with people who buy NBA Live. They mostly do it because they have been buying it since 95.

I saw someone buy MLB 2k9 because it has fireworks for home runs and the show doesn't

soldat7

Ysiadmihi said:
Chinatown Wars numbers *are* surprising, but I think it's almost deserved. The love for this game baffles me. Any other game/developer would have been ripped to shreds for forcing in gimmicky touch screen stuff in the most awkward places.

The vast majority of DS games have gimmicky touch screen stuff. GTA is at least fun.

lawblob said:

I wonder how many of those pirates stole GTA: Chinatown on the DS. Piracy on the ds is easier, yet nobody ever assumes that piracy had any effect on the GTA's sales.

Nobody is buying psp's right now, as Sony has all but announced a new model. :(

Poor resistance....

v1cious

Banned
Gwanatu T said:
As for Madworld, the more I dwell on it the more apparent it becomes to me that the art style of the game is probably what people don't "get". If it were not black and white and red, it probably would have done a lot better. Still it might hold on for a while and do well eventually, we'll have to wait and see.

yeah you can blame the art style till the cows come home, but i'm willing to bet this game would have sold at worse 500,000 on a next gen console.

...is that the PSP has been an absolute disaster in North America this year. Sales are down this month nearly 50% year over year. Is it the software? Or is it the fact that the 3000 can't be cracked (as of yet)? Irregardless, this is not a good thing when the PSP is supposed to pick up the slack from the PS2 as a revenue stream.

The only conclusion you can draw from numbers like that are that the system is dying. It's doing wonderful in Japan, but in the two biggest markets (USA and Europe), it's getting destroyed.

I wonder if the publishers are starting to get nervous about all the new software they've committed to the platform. Unless they have something new to support...

Like or not, a new PSP is coming, likely at E3. PSP as it is now is on life support.

Wow @
Resistance Retribution 55k
GTA CW 90k

Also kinda surprised that RE360 outsold the PS3 almost 2-1, I'd expect it to be closer even though the 360 has a 2:1 userbase advantage here.

soldat7

outunderthestars said:
I wonder how many of those pirates stole GTA: Chinatown on the DS. Piracy on the ds is easier, yet nobody ever assumes that piracy had any effect on the GTA's sales.

Didn't seem to harm Pokemon.

larvi

So how did Take-Two flub a sure thing? Chinatown Wars was built for the wrong console. The title -- whose gameplay centers around drug dealing, cold-blooded murder, and sex -- is only available on the Nintendo DS, who's primary audience is children. Parents refused to let their kids play, and the adult DS audience just isn't that big.

No they are wrong, the adult DS audience is far larger than that of the PSP but most adults don't want to play this type of game either. Personally I'm glad it bombed.

Barrett2

Agent Icebeezy said:
I saw someone buy MLB 2k9 because it has fireworks for home runs and the show doesn't

Those must be some fucking awesome fireworks. Too bad your player can't see them after he sinks into grass during the first inning.

v1cious said:
yeah you can blame the art style till the cows come home, but i'm willing to bet this game would have sold at worse 500,000 on a next gen console.
You're assuming the market will have grown by that much by the time next gen rolls around? You're certainly bullish.

LM4sure

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Wow @
Resistance Retribution 55k
GTA CW 90k

Also kinda surprised that RE360 outsold the PS3 almost 2-1, I'd expect it to be closer even though the 360 has a 2:1 userbase advantage here.

I thought the exact same thing. The RE series started on the Playstation and now it ends up getting outsold 2-1. It is very surprising.

iceatcs

soldat7 said:
Didn't seem to harm Pokemon.
Well young will buy one but they can't buy GTA. Most over 18 know how to get it free.

creamsugar said:
< 55k
Ok, that's it. US just fail! Please jump to the wall!
1236956630_cat_jump_fail.gif

Opiate

lawblob said:
Yeah, it almost seems irresponsible at this point to spend any considerable amount of money developing for the PSP unless you KNOW it will sell.

IMO Sony should get creative with PSP software. Make every retail game a special edition. Put trinkets, plushies, tshirts, download codes, or some kind of random bullshit inside every UMD case sold at retail. Anything to motivate people to buy instead of pirate. Seems simple to me, even small carrots can motivate purchases.... but then again, im' not running a big, profitable company like Sony.

Not to be a downer, but looking over this thread, and the suggestions people have made:

1) PS3 needs a price cut. This would literally cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
2) Bundle stuff with PSP games. This would cost millions rather quickly.
3) Advertise more. This costs a great deal of money, too.

And others. All of these myriad suggestions can restated as an essential comment: "spend more money Sony!" I would respond with this: Sony has already spent ~3.5 billion dollars pushing their current generation systems. The 600 dollar starting price of the PS3 was effectively a 2 billion dollar advertising campaign: for example, Sony could have started the system at 800 dollars, and gone with a 2 billion dollar marketing campaign. That's a ridiculously huge marketing campaign... but 800 dollars. I don't know what the result would have been, given how much aversion there was to a 600 dollar price point.

Saying this more concisely: Sony has supported the PS3 and PSP with incredible aggression, spending billions to bolster their prospects. If these products are not selling to your or their expectations, it's not because Sony isn't trying. They have really tried.

Top Bottom