• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

kitch9 said:
Its difficult as their ain't been a price drop for a bit, the numbers will increase once the price drops, however long that may be.

Yeah yeah I've heard the spiel...but to what degree?

Do you expect the PS3 to get to even keel with the 360 once the price drops? Surpass it?

We're so far into the gen now that Sony can't really do much to change their trajectory.

Brofist

manueldelalas said:
That's not fair. Army of Two was the most hyped game ever in its time. Those sales are really dissappointing, it just shows that 360 only sales game with the name Halo in it.

or the names Gears, or Resident, or Duty, or Grand, etc...

manueldelalas said:
Sorry I forgot to add the [/sarcasm] at the end.

hard to tell these days :D

Prine said:
:lol i approve of all the Wesker posts!

That guy really doesnt know how to communicate his thoughts intelligently, its the fact that he tries and fails every time that makes him a legend :p

"Did you REALLY BELIEVE Pokemon were worth SAVING?"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah yeah I've heard the spiel...but to what degree?

Do you expect the PS3 to get to even keel with the 360 once the price drops? Surpass it?

We're so far into the gen now that Sony can't really do much to change their trajectory.

I don't think PS3 will ever get on an 'even keel' with 360 in the US at least.

Its sales should undoubtedly go up though with a pricecut.

What's important for Sony now, and what's important for consumers, is that the platforms ability to sell (enough) software is maintained so that it continues to enjoy the strong publisher support that it has. If it can do that it'll probably be the most 'successful' third place system..ever, probably.

adelante

Psychotext said:
A more direct comparison with a different game is possible:

Army of Two (360) - Mar 08 - 606k (33 days of sales)
Killzone 2 (PS3) - Feb / Mar 09 - 619k (37 days of sales)
15wme07.jpg

JudgeN

The amount of guesses on what KZ2 development cost is ridiculous. We have 55million, 40 million, 30million, 60 million, and 80 million so far in this thread. Let just admit we have no clue what it cost to develop. There was no leaked number from ex Guerrilla game employee or Sony PR mouth piece, its all complete speculation from people who have zero idea. Same shit happened with MGS4 when people tried to "guess" what it budget when no one at Konami said shit about it.

Now where is the top 20 damn it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JudgeN said:
The amount of guesses on what KZ2 development cost is ridiculous. We have 55million, 40 million, 30million, 60 million, and 80 million so far in this thread. Let just admit we have no clue it cost to development. There was no leaked number from ex Guerrilla game employee or Sony PR mouth piece, its all complete speculation from people who have zero idea. Same shit happened with MGS4 when people tried to "guess" what it budget when no one at Konami said shit about it.
Pretty much.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Psychotext said:

Ouch. :lol

JudgeN said:
The amount of guesses on what KZ2 development cost is ridiculous. We have 55million, 40 million, 30million, 60 million, and 80 million so far in this thread. Let just admit we have no clue what it cost to develop. There was no leaked number from ex Guerrilla game employee or Sony PR mouth piece, its all complete speculation from people who have zero idea. Same shit happened with MGS4 when people tried to "guess" what it budget when no one at Konami said shit about it.

Okay, so what?

I tried going backwards in the thread and all I'm seeing is KZ2 debate :/
Did we get any numbers outside of the top ten or at least a top twenty list?

Dirtbag

Lightning said:
MGS4 was worse for the hype, imo.

No way, Killzone2 was just the perfect storm from E305, up until now imo.
The gif I remember for MGS4 above all was snake putting a gun in his mouth... as for killzone2 gifs, well.........

Random Fact:

Looking at the Top 50 u.s. software skus for March; Total units = 7.8 million sold with 4.5 million being attributed to combined PS3 and 360 software.

Saint Gregory said:
We've had GTA DS numbers and Resistance Retribution numbers. Not sure of what else though. Certainly not a top 20 yet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
I tried going backwards in the thread and all I'm seeing is KZ2 debate :/

Madworld - less than 70k
Chinatown - 89k
GH: Metallica - Number 11, on 360
Resistance: Retribution - less than 55k

Xenon

Psychotext said:

voxv8n.gif

ouch!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's a shame really. I have very specific tastes that really can only be catered to by a console with a diverse library.

[...]

My problem is that I don't like the shooters, sports games, racing games, fighting games or console RPGs (though I LOVE RPGs on the DS) that seem to dominate "hardcore gaming" these days

I know what you mean, but here's some food for thought (though admittedly not that profound or original): you never really hate (or like) a genre. What you hate is the way it's done at any given time. I don't like the FPS genre in general myself, but there still are a few exceptions to that rule. For some reason, I really like UT99, for instance. I think Serious Sam is a fun game too. Games like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead aren't your average FPS either, and people who don't usually like FPSs may like these two. Consider Mario: many love 2D Marios and 2D platformers, but hate 3D Mario. I'm not fond of racing games, but I really like Mario Kart. You might argue that it's a party game or whatever (though you don't seem to be that dense in my book), but it's still a racing game at heart.

It only takes a few bold, key differences, or, in some cases, a level of polish that you felt lacking beforehand (I guess it's rarer though). You said you don't like sports games. I don't like them either. Yet I enjoyed Wii Sports. I might consider buying Grand Slam Tennis (the reason being Motion +). I like Punch-Out and Ready 2 Rumble but won't ever ever consider playing Fight Night.

Genres are always refined. If you like the way they're done, good for you. If you don't, that's a shame, and in that sense, I totally share your sentiment. But one day someone might do things differently within a particular genre so that you, a former "hater", like it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
dialmydrive said:
Random Fact:

Looking at the Top 50 u.s. software skus for March; Total units = 7.8 million sold with 4.5 million being attributed to combined PS3 and 360 software.
Where do you look at the top 50 US software skus?

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 51.4 (April 10, 2008)
PS3: 57.3 (February 28, 2008)
X360: 78.8 (October 1, 2007)

This month Wii passed 1 billion total weeks ownership. Thanks to its large userbase and this being a relatively low month for it, this is also the month where Wii's userbase grew by the smallest percentage yet: 3.2%.

Though this is Wii's first month this year that it performed worse than in 2008, the YTD number is still significantly ahead: 1.4 million in 2008 versus 2.0 million in 2009.

It's worth noting that while almost everything is down from last March, last March was significantly up from the year before. So this is still a very good March.

(In thousands)
Code:
         2007    2008    2009
Wii       335     721     601
DS        485     698     563
PS2       295     216     112
PS3       127     257     218
PSP       176     297     168
X360      228     262     330

Nif said:
How many people do you know who play videogames and don't use the internet? This isn't 1998.
Use the Internet? Sure. Be exposed to all the same forum arguments we are? Not so much.

Business Insider said:
So how did Take-Two flub a sure thing? Chinatown Wars was built for the wrong console. The title -- whose gameplay centers around drug dealing, cold-blooded murder, and sex -- is only available on the Nintendo DS, who's primary audience is children. Parents refused to let their kids play, and the adult DS audience just isn't that big.
Pffffft, mature schmature. As someone who has dozens of DS games and all of the GTA3 games, I'm just not that interested in a game that loses the camera angle and radio station stuff I'm used to.
grandjedi6 said:
Would you expect Wiifit to be a multimillion seller if it was released on the 360?
Yes. If it was something that shared a title and theme but not the Balance Board, though, no.

Threi

notag
interesting numbers, but the real story here is in the numbers of the things.

:lol @ the fanboys who defended it.

I hope this shuts you up for good.

The other thing did pretty decently though, considering the things it had going against it :)

Threi said:
interesting numbers, but the real story here is in the numbers of the things.

:lol @ the fanboys who defended it.

I hope this shuts you up for good.

The other thing did pretty decently though, considering the things it had going against it :)

"I hope this shuts you up for good."

:lol there's no stopping them regardless of the writing on the wall.

Barrett2

Psychotext said:

Holy Mother of God.....

/thread

2mzzigj.gif

DMeisterJ said:
Madworld - less than 70k
Chinatown - 89k
Holy shit those Chinatown numbers are abysmal. Piracy must be much worse in the US than I thought or maybe there really is no market for GTA on DS. I might have to rethink my long legs theory on this one :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Psychotext said:

Fuck me.

DMeisterJ said:
Madworld - less than 70k
Chinatown - 89k

why did these bomb so hard? i mean, there are more madworld avatars on gaf than copies sold in the us and gta is... well, gta.

did these get any advertisment?

Cruzader

Banned
Isnt it a better comparison to see the sales of Army of 2 PS3 sales compared to kz2 sales? I mean most if not all 3rd party games sell better on 360 than PS3 so anything on the 360 will have bettr sales than on ps3, we all know that.

gkryhewy

Saint Gregory said:
Holy shit those Chinatown numbers are abysmal. Piracy must be much worse in the US than I thought or maybe there really is no market for GTA on DS. I might have to rethink my long legs theory on this one :(

I wonder if we'll even be able to tell if GTA has legs, given the lack of data. Maybe TTWO's financials.

Cruzader said:
Isnt it a better comparison to see the sales of Army of 2 PS3 sales compared to kz2 sales? I mean most if not all 3rd party games sell better on 360 than PS3 so anything on the 360 will have bettr sales than on ps3, we all know that.

Killzone looks EVEN BETTER if you compare it to Ridge Racer. Wow, just look at those sales.

xbhaskarx

Psychotext said:

Shocking. How come GAF doesn't make 10-post official threads for Halo Wars, BioShock, Army of Two...? And where are the hundreds of Army of Two avatars?

Barrett2

Cruzader said:

But it wouldn't change the underlying reality, KZ2 defenders have gone from hyping it as the savior of the system to now proclaiming it a triumph because it has decent numbers comparable to a generic & shitty EA game.

Again, sales numbers are all relative to lots of factors. Cost & hype being big ones. Relative to cost & hype, there's no way Guerrilla can be happy with 650K units moved in a month. Thats just not great in this day and age.

Cruzader said:
It wouldn't really tell you anything. The PS3 install base was only 3m in the US when Army of Two was released.

Threi

notag
Kilrogg said:
Wait, do you actually speak French?
Babelfish est un outil puissant.

In Canada you are forced to take french until grade 10, but I never paid any real attention in class, so no i don't :p

°°ToMmY°° said:
why did these bomb so hard? i mean, there are more madworld avatars on gaf than copies sold in the us and gta is... well, gta.

did these get any advertisment?

There was more marketing $ put into the first two than you'd think based on sales, but ..... *bites tongue hard, takes deep breath and waits for vindication, which is likely to come in another 6 months or so.

If you develop the titles, they will come? Still waiting.

Metallica sales aren't surprising at all. Anyone expecting gangbuster sales of this one are probably Metallica fans, and Metallica fans, alone. Professionally speaking, I don't think the Metallica sales are terrible, but I do think RB Beatles will outsell GH Metallica.

Barrett2

Threi said:

In Canada you are forced to take french until grade 10, but I never paid any real attention in class, so no i don't :p

First it was the KZ2 warriors, now come the foreigners. What a disaster this thread has become.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Threi said:

Wow, I didn't even know that. Has Québec that much power over the rest of Canada?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xbhaskarx said:
Shocking. How come GAF doesn't make 10-post official threads for Halo Wars, BioShock, Army of Two...? And where are the hundreds of Army of Two avatars?

We may as well all just adopt Wii Fit/Mario Kart avatars, so..

Seriously, that's like going on to a music board and asking why everyone isn't sporting lady gaga avatars or whatever happens to be the biggest selling stuff of the day. I mean, I know GAF likes sales-age but really..we're not yet so bad that we link our enthusiasm for a game to its sales..are we?

Top Bottom