• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

LCfiner

I'm not surprised by KZ2's position on the list this week. After selling around 300K in the first couple days of sale last month, it seemed clear to me it wouldn't jump up any higher in the next month. shooters are always so front loaded.

that Army of Two comparison is pretty eye opening, that's for sure.

as far as I'm concerned, the biggest stories are the poor sales of Madworld and GTA:CW. A couple high profile (GTA, esp), mature games for the two biggest selling systems and they do absolutely squat in sales.

Obviously, I'm more surprised that GTA did so poorly. Madworld is certainly more risky (no big name, polarizing art style) but the fact that they both flopped hard is likely to give publishers pause when attempting anything similar on the Nintendo platforms.

a shame, really.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pizzaguysrevenge said:
I never understood why the normal Canadians don't force the French ones to adopt English as their primary language.

Yikes.

Both Anglophone and Francophone Canadians are "normal Canadians". There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Canadian and not speaking a word of English, nor should there ever be.

Canada has two languages of equal value and equal importance. The country has two national languages. Looking at English as the national language, and French as some secondary language misrepresents Canada.

Kilrogg said:
Wow, I didn't even know that. Has Québec that much power over the rest of Canada?

It's not Québec. Québec is not a bilingual province, it is a unilingual french province where many people also speak English. New Brunswick is a bilingual province. Canada is a bilingual country. It's not about a "powerful french lobby, trying to overthrow English". We are a country with two languages.

In India, Hindi, English, and many other languages are official. In Israel, Hebrew and Arabic are official. Belgium speaks German, French, and Dutch. Finland speaks Finnish and Swedish. Luxembourg speaks French, German, and Luxembourgish. In Ireland, Irish and English. Switzerland, German French and Italian.

There are many multilingual countries. Conceiving of them as having "primary" and "secondary" languages is unfortunate.

GodofWine

jjasper said:
Man that Killzone 2/Army of Two comparison shows just how awful the PS3 situation is right now.

I'd say this is not a fair statement, the PS3 is still basically one year behind in term of sales (no, its not where they wanna be, and yes, the gap is growing again due to pricing), it just shows how bad the market is on the PS3 for any shooter not called 'Call of 'something''(which sells millions) because sony didn't establish a big 1st party shooter franchise early enough in the PS3 life cycle. (resistance was great, but had no 'halo' effect' and R2..well, I wont go there).

and Sony's marketing for KZ (and in general) was weak.. ...maybe, and then the controls and gameplay turned off so many that the hype was quickly replaced with mass internet complaints, surely this thwarted some from buying the game / picking up their presales

(again, Im a PS3 / KZ2 owner)

RJT

Stumpokapow said:
Yikes.

Both Anglophone and Francophone Canadians are "normal Canadians". There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Canadian and not speaking a word of English, nor should there ever be.

Canada has two languages of equal value and equal importance. The country has two national languages. Looking at English as the national language, and French as some secondary language misrepresents Canada.
(neutral) Stumpokapow
listen to the madman
(Today, 02:59 PM)
Reply | Quote

cakefoo

That Army of Two comparison just shows that shooter fans flock more heavily to the 360 in the US. It's not the best genre to have relatively weak sales in, but there are plenty of other genres and a couple other continents that help level the sales for third party publishers.

Cruzader

Banned
lawblob said:
But it wouldn't change the underlying reality, KZ2 defenders have gone from hyping it as the savior of the system to now proclaiming it a triumph because it has decent numbers comparable to a generic & shitty EA game.

Again, sales numbers are all relative to lots of factors. Cost & hype being big ones. Relative to cost & hype, there's no way Guerrilla can be happy with 650K units moved in a month. Thats just not great in this day and age.
I wonder who these KZ2 ppls are. I mean yea I was a defender in that it was trolled to death( 'KZ1 sucked, so will this' mentality) but I never saw it as a 'savior' of sort. Whoever these ppl are, they are delusional. Nothing will make the PS3 skyrocket in sales but a price drop. And I do agree that with the caliber of the game, it should of sold more. No question about that.

Luckyman

Banned
When they say it has sold over 1M it seems like it´s really sold and not just shipped.

Edit: Actually it seems kinda low considering the leaderboard has 918k+ PSN names.

Stumpokapow said:
Yikes.

Since I'm too tired to respond whilst in character, I'll come out.

That was a troll post. It was made with my tongue firmly placed in my cheek. It was meant to be sarcastic and perhaps even a bit whimsical.

I don't disrespect the French language or anyone who speaks it. Good night.

YakiSOBA

Someone explain to me how 600k ++ people are buying the Wii every month ??? The novelty has WORN OFF PEOPLE! *looks at his wii, 4 wiimotes, and about only 5 good games out of a library of 30*

Retarded!!!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stumpokapow said:
It's not Québec. Québec is not a bilingual province, it is a unilingual french province where many people also speak English. New Brunswick is a bilingual province. Canada is a bilingual country. It's not about a "powerful french lobby, trying to overthrow English". We are a country with two languages.

In India, Hindi, English, and many other languages are official. In Israel, Hebrew and Arabic are official. Belgium speaks German, French, and Dutch. Finland speaks Finnish and Swedish. Luxembourg speaks French, German, and Luxembourgish. In Ireland, Irish and English. Switzerland, German French and Italian.

There are many multilingual countries. Conceiving of them as having "primary" and "secondary" languages is unfortunate.

That clears things up for me, and I agree with you. I just don't know much about Canada. I'm French, for the record. Thank you, and sorry for the OT.

Blame it on Threi.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pizzaguysrevenge said:
Since I'm too tired to respond whilst in character, I'll come out. That was a troll post. It was made with my tongue firmly placed in my cheek. It was meant to be sarcastic and perhaps even a bit whimsical.

hahaha it's hard to tell when you're dealing with an international forum, seriously! :p

markatisu

YakiSOBA said:
Someone explain to me how 600k ++ people are buying the Wii every month ??? The novelty has WORN OFF PEOPLE! *looks at his wii, 4 wiimotes, and about only 5 good games out of a library of 30*

Retarded!!!

And to think we went probably 3-4 pages without one of these comments :lol

Barrett2

YakiSOBA said:

Retarded!!!

Umm, not everyone who plays games is a 15-35 year old male.

JudgeN

Cruzader said:
I wonder who these KZ2 ppls are. I mean yea I was a defender in that it was trolled to death( 'KZ1 sucked, so will this' mentality) but I never saw it as a 'savior' of sort. Whoever these ppl are, they are delusional. Nothing will make the PS3 skyrocket in sales but a price drop. And I do agree that with the caliber of the game, it should of sold more. No question about that.

There will always be defenders but I believe the killzone.gifs were used to show that GG was successful in somewhat matching the Jack T fuck up at E3 2005. I mean can you imagine what would have happened to KZ2 had it not looked as good as it does? I would have been an INSTANT FAILURE, I mean people where mocking GG for it (wasn't even there fault). That was the main reason for the .gifs there were so many doubters of GG saying that it wasn't possible and they would never recover. But they overcame that challenge, they really do deserve a lot credit.

Luckyman said:
When they say it has sold over 1M it seems like it´s really sold and not just shipped.

Edit: Actually it seems kinda low considering the leaderboard has 918k+ PSN names.

Leaderboards are people who been online, not everyone goes online.

Crisco

Banned
You guys really set your expectations for PS3 software sales too high. The thing has sold what, 7 million units in the US? That means in order to shift a million+ copies of a game, you're asking for a ~15% attach rate. That's an insane number. Maybe 2% of all games reach a 15% attach rate for the platform they are on. The PS3's installed base is just too low to support these mega blockbuster games, simple as that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lawblob said:

well they should be.

except the chicks that send you naked pics over Live, which happened to me about a year ago for a week straight. It was totally unsolicited. I played with this random girl one game and I guess I was good enough to be put on her special pic list. She was banned from Live shortly after

RSTEIN said:
well they should be.

except the chicks that send you naked pics over Live, which happened to me about a year ago for a week straight. It was totally unsolicited. I played with this random girl one game and I guess I was good enough to be put on her special pic list. She was banned from Live shortly after

"In business news today, Xbox Live subscriptions QUADRUPLED at exactly 10:26 AM EST this morning and no one can figure out exactly why..."

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I suppose i'm LTTP, so can people give me a quick recap of the more interesting comments/arguments about the success/lack of success of Mad World/GTA:CW?

Threi

notag
lawblob said:
Don't worry, one day his prayers and determination will be rewarded and any prospective newcomers into the industry will be scared off, and he can live happily ever after in the sausage fest that is called gaming.

botticus

John Harker said:
I suppose i'm LTTP, so can people give me a quick recap of the more interesting comments/arguments about the success/lack of success of Mad World/GTA:CW?
They'll have legs / should put them on 360/PS3/PSN/XBLA/Steam/Jaguar.

Grecco

I wouldnt nececarily dismiss the idea of GTA CW having "legs".

Just this week Nintendo sent GTA CW ads on their newsletter lists.

Grecco said:

I still see tons of ads and I think a new product launch (DSi) raises all ships, so to speak.

markatisu

John Harker said:

Some of the more notable ones have been MadWorld would sell 500k on 360 alone, GTA:CW is going to be removed from retail shelves by retailers for being an epic fail, MadWorld should be brought to PSN and XBL so it can be played in 1080p for $15, and GTA:CW will never sell another copy in its life because 88k is all its going to get (reference the pulling from retail shelves theory)

Most everyone else just says they will have legs and things will come out OK in the end (the usual reaction to GAF calling something a super bomba)

jibblypop

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, I would say that the recession has finally hit Nintendo.

I think every console is down compared to last month though.

People just don't have a lot of money right now. I wonder if it will slide further next month. (probably not with the DS-i launch actually)

Cruzader

Banned
JudgeN said:
There will always be defenders but I believe the killzone.gifs were used to show that GG was successful in somewhat matching the Jack T fuck up at E3 2005. I mean can you imagine what would have happened to KZ2 had it not looked as good as it does? I would have been an INSTANT FAILURE, I mean people where mocking GG for it (wasn't even there fault). That was the main reason for the .gifs there were so many doubters of GG saying that it wasn't possible and they would never recover. But they overcame that challenge, they really do deserve a lot credit.

Leaderboards are people who been online, not everyone goes online.
Thats true. KZ2 was gonna fail either way. Either meet expectations(E3 05 vid) or meet sales-age thread expectations.

Madworld on XBL? Try Chinatown Wars. That would do MUCH better. Just chop out all the stylus stuff (none of which is really necessary anyway) give the art a sharper rez and viola!

Ramenman

YakiSOBA said:
Someone explain to me how 600k ++ people are buying the Wii every month ??? The novelty has WORN OFF PEOPLE!

"I do believe in fairies ! I do ! I do !"

YakiSOBA said:
*looks at his wii, 4 wiimotes, and about only 5 good games out of a library of 30*

Retarded!!!

So you purposely bought 25 shitty games ? I'd be pissed too I guess.

YoungHav

Banned
nib95 said:
I think certain people need to realise that no single game is going to be the PS3's "saviour" (I've realised it's 360 fans that bring this up by the way and not PS3 fans), but a price drop.
Amen. I haven't seen much here but on other boards this "savior" card is always brought up by 360 trolls.

Spiegel

Grecco said:

GTA:CW should have legs.

GTA:LCS sold roughly 1/14 of its LTD sales (2 million+ as of fall 08) in the first month and it's still selling 20k or more each month
GTA:VCS sold roughly 1/8 of its LTD sales (1 million+ as of fall 08) in the first month and it's still selling 20k or more each month

GTA:CW isn't going to be ported so it should have better legs than the psp games.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
markatisu said:
Some of the more notable ones have been MadWorld would sell 500k on 360 alone, GTA:CW is going to be removed from retail shelves by retailers for being an epic fail, MadWorld should be brought to PSN and XBL so it can be played in 1080p for $15, and GTA:CW will never sell another copy in its life because 88k is all its going to get (reference the pulling from retail shelves theory)

Most everyone else just says they will have legs and things will come out OK in the end (the usual reaction to GAF calling something a super bomba)

:lol
That ones pretty good. I was expecting more though, c'mon GAF

markatisu

Spiegel said:
GTA:CW isn't going to be ported so it should have better legs than the psp games.

Agreed, I think people might also be missing the boost from the DSi release

If you were "hardcore and mature", you would probably have waited to buy the game alongside your brand new DSi

witness

I think the more important numbers for GTA CW are its sales in april with the DSI, if its sales dramatically drop in april (is that even possible) then its over.

Mrbob

lawblob said:

This is true, and the exact reason why Nintendo fans should not get mad at being a less than bountiful amount of hardcore games on the Wii.

People who want those games have a 360 and to a slightly lesser extent PS3. The Wii isn't even on the same radar. People who buy the Wii want more things like WiiFit, good for them. Give the people what they want.

markatisu

witness said:
I think the more important numbers for GTA CW are its sales in april with the DSI, if its sales dramatically drop in april (is that even possible) then its over.

If sales drop dramatically from 88k then that would not be a sign of legs now would it :lol

But I agree, if the added boost of the DSi and even more positive word of mouth and promotion (I also got the Nintendo email reminding me to go buy GTA CW) does not keep it at least close to its 1st month then I think that is more telling

The Wii isn't even on the same radar. People who buy the Wii want more things like WiiFit, good for them. Give the people what they want.

If we are going by sales then based on the last 3 months Wii owners want

-More FPS games (seriously people its like COD WaW did not even happen)
-More Fitness games
-More Lego games

Threi

notag
Mrbob said:
This is true, and the exact reason why Nintendo fans should not get mad at being a less than bountiful amount of hardcore games on the Wii.

People who want those games have a 360 and to a slightly lesser extent PS3. The Wii isn't even on the same radar. People who buy the Wii want more things like WiiFit, good for them. Give the people what they want.
What if you don't want neither?

Top Bottom