• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

Kifimbo

NUMBERS NOT IN THE OP

Madworld (Wii) - < 70k
GTA: Chinatown Wars (DS) - 89k
GH: Metallica (Xbox 360) - #11
Resistance: Retribution (PSP) - < 55k

NO TOP 20 BY CONSOLE YET

Kifimbo said:
NUMBERS NOT IN THE OP

Madworld (Wii) - < 70k

NO TOP 20 BY CONSOLE YET
Sucks about Madworld. I guess that means more Carnival Games for everyone.

I'm honestly no longer convinced that CW will have legs. I hope I'll be wrong but these low figures just kill any hope I had for it in the first place.

Mrbob

What is so great about WaW sales on Wii? The PS3 version sold more, and that system has under half the userbase. The 360 version destroyed the Wii version in sales.

The Wii is the system pulling away now with hardware sales. So WaW should be pulling in near 360 numbers on the Wii. It isn't close.

Threi said:
What if you don't want neither?

Find a new hobby? :p

Threi

notag
pizzaguysrevenge said:
Then they don't spend any money on video games?
So if i don't want games that appeal to a teenage male demographic or games that appeal to middle-aged women I should just give up the hobby.

TheOddOne

YoungHav said:
Amen. I haven't seen much here but on other boards this "savior" card is always brought up by 360 trolls.

The whole one game will save the system came from mosly ps3 fans. Every game hyped up was like ''its going to convert people to the ps3'',''X game will have legs'', ''When X game comes out it will justify the ps3''. People are just poking fun at the whole spinning around those ''arguments''. Its kinda sad that people not are claiming the whole ''360 trolls'' argument, just to make them look like the victim.

markatisu

Kifimbo said:
NUMBERS NOT IN THE OP

Madworld (Wii) - < 70k

NO TOP 20 BY CONSOLE YET

MadWorld was confirmed by Gamasutra this morning to be 66k

What is so great about WaW sales on Wii? The PS3 version sold more, and that system has under half the userbase. The 360 version destroyed the Wii version in sales.

The Wii is the system pulling away now with hardware sales. So WaW should be pulling in near 360 numbers on the Wii. It isn't close.

Well for starters the game was undershipped in its opening month and then not advertised till December. Once it started to advertise it stayed on the charts.

Nobody is expecting it to be near the 360 in sales, that has become COD home but when you manage to sell almost 1m in 3 months on a console which has been repeatedly claimed to be unable to sell these type of games it voids the argument.

I love how the goal posts continue to be moved, before it was "game x cant be done" then "game x cant sell" then "game x did not sell fast enough" and now "game x barely sells in comparison"

Barrett2

Mrbob said:

COD is pretty much like GH at this point, it has such broad name brand awareness and casual appeal. I think the brand familiarity is the main reason it sold on the Wii. That combined with a holiday release encouraged its purchase for gift-giving, etc.. I don't think it says much about the broader health of FPS on Wii.

Plus.....have you seen Conduit box art?

Threi said:
So if i don't want games that appeal to a teenage male demographic or games that appeal to middle-aged women I should just give up the hobby.

Didn't somebody start a thread a few months ago claiming there wasn't a single game on any platform they were interested in for the last two years? Apparently there are still some under served demographics out there. :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheOddOne said:
The whole one game will save the system came from mosly ps3 fans. Every game hyped up was like ''its going to convert people to the ps3'',''X game will have legs'', ''When X game comes out it will justify the ps3''. People are just poking fun at the whole spinning around those ''arguments''. Its kinda sad that people not are claiming the whole ''360 trolls'' argument, just to make them look like the victim.
Which was what, a year ago? Look at all the bannage that happened in the first few pages. It's a tired meme.

Scrubking

John Harker said:
I suppose i'm LTTP, so can people give me a quick recap of the more interesting comments/arguments about the success/lack of success of Mad World/GTA:CW?

Do you really want a recap of all the incredibly stupidity? Really? Okay.

Idiots
- It doesn't matter what sega says the game is a bomb because I say so
- Madworld and CS are really 360 games that were put on the wrong console
- Port both games to xbl/psn for $10
- I hated the games on Nintendo systems but I'd love to play them on 360 or PS3
- Wii doesn't have the 15-35 demographic
- Madworld proves that Wii can't sell hardcore games
- GTA should have sold millions because its GTA
- The games won't have legs because I say so!
- Wii is kiddie
- Wii sucks
(- WaW Wii sales don't count)
(- Killzone 2 bombed)

Intelligent people
- A game's success is determined by the devs/pubs not idiots on a forum
- Madworld is niche, ultra violent and black n white
- TV commercials can't accurately portray what Madworld is really about
- GTA is a 2D top-down game and that is not what made the GTA brand popular
- Both games released alongside RE5 which undoubtedly snagged most of the attention
- Wii games have legs and things may change in a couple of months
- Madworld numbers do not nullify the great sales of RE4, UC, WaW and NMH, etc
- Advertising for GTA was ultra weak compared to its 3D brethren

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
well i guess that pretty much eliminates any possibility of capcom doing something drastically different with the next RESIDENT EVIL.

Mrbob

I'm not necessarily talking strictly fps, but a whole genre of games Nintendo fans want on Wii. Things like Infamous, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Ratchet, Crackdown, Mass Effect, etc.

The CoD franchise has insane pull, and the Wii version just went over 500k in sales on that massively expanding userbase? This doesn't bode well for other companies who have less recognizable ips.

The Wii sells for what it is. And it is doing massive sales. But the games above are not the reason it is selling. I'd love to see some of the more talented Western devs get ahold of the Wii and see what they can do with the controller. I don't want it to happen at the expense of the game not selling. I have a feeling we will have to wait for the next MS console to see this occur.

Also, I wouldn't really equate GH with CoD. GH has a bigger casual appeal.

markatisu

Mrbob said:
I'd love to see some of the more talented Western devs get ahold of the Wii and see what they can do with the controller.

Thats the only thing in your statement I can agree on.

The reason its selling is other high quality AAA games like Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit (despite the naysayers) and in the past games such as GHWT, Mario Galaxy, Shaun White and REUC.

NPD charts show that when developers try and make a game from the ground up on the Wii or at least put care into the Wii's version they are rewarded (see leaked numbers from last month that prove this when speaking of SW Force Unleashed, Tiger Woods, and Sonic Unleashed which all either outsold or sold VERY close to their 360 counterparts)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
*straggles into NPD thread way late*

People are so quick to blame GTA's crappy sales solely on the DS, but there is another factor at play here. Chinatown Wars, with its aerial perspective, is a lot closer to GTA and GTA II than, say, GTA III and IV (even if it does include some features of the more modern GTAs). The last time they tried to go to a style that was unlike III+ was GTA Advance, and that didn't sell well either. Simply put, a lot of the gaming audience just doesn't remember pre-III Grand Theft Auto, and the series, while successful, was never the monster before GTA III that it is now, and the style of play is a major factor in that.

That's not to say the platform isn't a factor. Neither the GBA or DS audiences are likely to go for a GTA game the way console and PSP audiences would, that's definitely clear. But to completely ignore the gameplay decisions (even if the gameplay is critically lauded) while assessing its performance and focus solely on userbase demographics seems a little narrowminded.

That, and it probably will have some legs over time. It'll probably do decently well in April with the DSi launching (which will sell to older and more tech savvy players first before it trickles down to the kids), and it will be hanging around in the holidays.

Still a very bad result, though. Considering the professional predictions being made, shipments must have been waaaaaaaaaay higher than sales. No matter how you slice it, that's a bomba launch month. Hopefully those legs will eventually make up for it.

Once again, Killzone proves to simply be a respectable hit rather than the uber-franchise Sony would like it to be. And MadWorld's numbers don't surprise me in the slightest. I would have predicted about 60-80k coming in, so <70k seems pretty on point. Hopefully Sega had similar expectations.

Oh, and wow @ Resident Evil 5. That honestly does surprise me. Not that I didn't think it would do well, but I really thought Pokemon was a guaranteed number 1 this month. Good show, Capcom. Between SFIV on the Feb. charts and RE5 in March, you're kicking some ass so far in 2009. :D

border

Whenever a game with normal "hardcore" sensibilities tanks on the Wii, there's always this litany of excuses as to why it didn't do so well. Oh it wasn't advertised enough....it was secretly a niche game....blah blah blah.....

markatisu

border said:
Whenever a game with normal "hardcore" sensibilities tanks, there's always this litany of excuses as to why it didn't do so well. Oh it wasn't advertised enough....it was secretly a niche game....blah blah blah.....

fixed, its not just a Wii epidemic

Barrett2

Scrubking said:
Intelligent people
- Both games released alongside RE5 which undoubtedly snagged most of the attention

So "intelligent people" think a DS & Wii game sold poorly because a popular PS3/360 game was released the same month? Gotcha.

Scrubking said:
- Wii is kiddie
- Wii sucks

I don't agree with any of that. I just want Sega to make money, because I love Sega and a healthy Sega is a productive Sega. If Madworld loses money as a Wii exclusive, I'd love to see them port it to whatever other platforms will help it to make money. There's nothing about Madworld's play mechanics that make it a bad candidate for porting.

Kunan

Boom Blox debuted with a lower first NPD and has now sold, what 700k?

Terrible numbers for CW though. It's strange cause there aren't even that many copies left around Ottawa. And at Walmart in particular, when it came out, it only had 3 game slots of a 4 rack DS section and was at the bottom. Wtf? Oh well, I did my part and bought both it and MadWorld.

Suburban Cowboy said:
so why does Mario Kart remain so strong yet Animal Crossing does not? AC seems to be more in line with Nintendo's new demographic than an action racing game
Because to lots of people, Animal Crossing is the most boring game ever made. There is no instant gratification at all, something that casuals and "hardcore" (stupid words) alike crave or else they tire easily. Especially in a rapidly ADHD population.

Opiate said:
I thought that through for a couple seconds, and that's not correct.

It says that they discount handheld games, so GH:Metallica is 10 to them. We have one DS game in the top 10.

However, this does not necessarily mean GH:M is 11th. Consider the possibility that 11-20 are all DS/PSP games. Then to Microsoft, GH:M is still 10th, even though it's not in the NPD top 20.

With that all explained, I still think it's likely that GH:M is in fact 11th. Just making sure we all know it's not absolutely confirmed.
Yea this is one PR tactic that seems to actually be able to work

TheGreatDave said:
They should port The Conduit to a next gen platform, the "motion" controls add NOTHING.
Probably, considering the whole point of the Conduit is the POINTER controls

chris0701 said:
2008 Nov NPD&#65306;

Gears of War 2 (X360) – 1.56m
Call of Duty: World at War (X360) – 1.41m
Wii Play (Wii) – 796k
Wii Fit (Wii) – 697k
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) – 637k
Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) – 597k
Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) – 475k
Left for Dead (X360) – 410k
Resistance 2 (PS3) – 385k
Wii Music (Wii) – 297k

And..
Killzone 2:619k (Feb+Mar)

Sad sales for Sony
It was only out for TWO DAYS in february :|

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't agree with any of that. I just want Sega to make money, because I love Sega and a healthy Sega is a productive Sega. If Madworld loses money as a Wii exclusive, I'd love to see them port it to whatever other platforms will help it to make money. There's nothing about Madworld's play mechanics that make it a bad candidate for porting.
Alternatively, they can just continue making money with, you know, other games.

They have a Winter Olympics game they're developing that will in fact do just that!

So rather than work on porting a game to a system where it will still be niche, in a niche genre, with graphics that turn most people off, they can release a sequel to a game that sold six million copies.

That seems like the better idea.

border

markatisu said:
fixed, its not just a Wii epidemic
Perhaps, but it's far more amplified for this platform in particular since there are so few success stories and the fanboys are particularly sensitive to the "3rd party games do poorly on Wii" talking point. RE4:Wii Edition was like 2 years ago and it's still being trotted out as an example of 3rd party success.

lawblob said:
So "intelligent people" think a DS & Wii game sold poorly because a popular PS3/360 game was released the same month? Gotcha.
Yeah, let's blame Resident Evil for the poor sales of games on 2 entirely different platforms! Oh, and don't forget Halo Wars launched too, so subtract another 100K MadWorld sales. And a lot of people went to see the Watchmen movie instead of buying Chinatown Wars, so that's another mitigating factor.....

MetatronM said:
*straggles into NPD thread way late*

Once again, Killzone proves to simply be a respectable hit rather than the uber-franchise Sony would like it to be. And MadWorld's numbers don't surprise me in the slightest. I would have predicted about 60-80k coming in, so <70k seems pretty on point. Hopefully Sega had similar expectations.

I don't think you can write the book on it after a little over 1 month in sales. It will have a surge if the PS3 has a price cut at e3. It will have another surge around the holidays (that's when I'm getting it). It will always have good word of mouth. By the end of the PS3 it could very well be a top 10 PS3 game is terms of sales. 1 million in a little over a month is not terrible. I think respectable hit is a good label for now, but it will still sell a lot more copies.

border said:
Yeah, let's blame Resident Evil for the poor sales of games on 2 entirely different platforms! Oh, and don't forget Halo Wars launched too, so subtract another 100K MadWorld sales. And a lot of people went to see the Watchmen movie instead of buying Chinatown Wars, so that's another mitigating factor.....
You're forgetting the main distraction! It's spring time! Love is in the air!

Who has time to go out and buy MadWorld with all this love in the air?

Scrubking said:
Do you really want a recap of all the incredibly stupidity? Really? Okay.

Idiots
- Wii is kiddie
- Wii sucks
(- WaW Wii sales don't count)
(- Killzone 2 bombed)

Intelligent people

RTS games didn't make Halo popular but look at that game. 600 freakin K.

Dascu

lawblob said:
Anecdotal evidence: Friend of mine didn't buy MadWorld because he spent his money on RE5 on his PS3.

Might be one amongst many.

Zachack

border said:
Perhaps, but it's far more amplified for this platform in particular since there are so few success stories and the fanboys are particularly sensitive to the "3rd party games do poorly on Wii" talking point. RE4:Wii Edition was like 2 years ago and it's still being trotted out as an example of 3rd party success.
No, the true measure of success is having an office party. NMH? Office party, thus success. Halo Wars? Ensemble gone, failure.

Also March is seeing some bleed off from the post-New Years gym membership explosion as people stop going to gyms, but since people will still half-heartedly (and half-wittedly) trying to be get in shape, I suspect Wii Fit and that cheap knockoff that sold over 100k last month probably ate some of Madworld's sales, too, since there isn't much fitness in Madworld.
Anecdotal evidence: Friend of mine didn't buy MadWorld because he spent his money on RE5 on his PS3.

Even if this were really the case, it still is bad news for Wii-exclusive "core" games because it means that your audience is heavily shared with the PS360 and anything more appealing on those consoles (and maybe PC but we don't have numbers) will suck away all of your Wii sales. You're basically forced to release in May and early July to avoid major PS360 titles.

Damn someone serve me a plate of crow for KZ2. NPD just completely sent my predictions down the shitter for hardware sales.

:lol @ GAF calling GTA:CW and MadWorld bombas already, seems like everyone keeps forgetting how Wii/DS games sell every time.

Barrett2

Dascu said:

No... he's not. You are describing like .5% of the gaming population. There are not enough people in his position to make a meaningful impact on the numbers.

markatisu

border said:

Well you said it right there, there are few BIG success stories (you act like 2 games in 3 years have sold well) because there are so few high quality 3rd party games out. We do not need a list war but off the top of my head I cannot think of even a handful that "failed", almost all mid-high budget Wii games sell well (GHWT, De Blob, Rock Band, Rock Band 2, REUC, Shaun White Snowboarding, All 3 Lego Games, Force Unleashed, Sonic Unleashed, etc)

RE4 Wii gets trotted out because its a port of a game that has been done numerous times now and should in no way have sold the almost 1.5m it has again

It also gets trotted out because to date we will do not have anything on the platform that is like RE4, the closest thing was Dead Rising CTYD which anyone trying to argue they are the same quality or had the same budget is high on drugs.

Vinci

Danish
I give up even guessing what's going to sell anymore. This generation is so ass-backwards and ridiculously skewed, it's actually getting sad.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mrbob said:
This is true, and the exact reason why Nintendo fans should not get mad at being a less than bountiful amount of hardcore games on the Wii.

People who want those games have a 360 and to a slightly lesser extent PS3. The Wii isn't even on the same radar. People who buy the Wii want more things like WiiFit, good for them. Give the people what they want.
So where is RE5:Wii then?

Haunted

Late to this one.

wow

RE5 360 (huge number, but I need previous RE NPD numbers for comparison)
Halo brand (the franchise will be expanded)

:(
Madworld (Platinum Games continue their "great-games-that-don't-sell" routine)
Chinatown Wars (here's hoping it'll have legs like other DS games showed)
Killzone (biggest hyped release of the year (your words, not mine) should have better legs)

lol
PS3 (salutes)

Barrett2

Scrubking said:
Yes because Sega can show all of the graphic violence - what the game is all about - on a TV commercial.

God you people are so fucking stupid.

Please continue; your avatar in contrast with a banned tag could provide a nice screen cap I could use in the Conduit thread for comedic affect.

ShockingAlberto said:
Alternatively, they can just continue making money with, you know, other games.

They have a Winter Olympics game they're developing that will in fact do just that!

So rather than work on porting a game to a system where it will still be niche, in a niche genre, with graphics that turn most people off, they can release a sequel to a game that sold six million copies.

That seems like the better idea.

Doesn't sound like an either/or proposition to me. Not from a finance perspective and certainly not from a development team(s) perspective.

Sega has stated they would like to see Madworld become a franchise. There's a way they have a chance to do that. If you think they shouldn't want to see it become a franchise, tell them, not me.

I think you are selling the game way short when you assume it couldn't sell better on other platforms. This political correctness about not "bashing" the Wii has gotten way out of hand. The fact is the consumer demographics are not identical across all the systems. That's not a criticism.

DMeisterJ

Banned
lawblob said:
No... he's not. You are describing like .5% of the gaming population. There are not enough people in his position to make a meaningful impact on the numbers.

That's 3k of sales stolen from MadWorld!

600000*.05 = 3000

See!!!!

Dascu

lawblob said:
I don't have a clue how you get these numbers, but if you say so.

Regardless, the game sold very poorly, whatever the reasons may be. I hope it has some legs and manages to make a little profit, for the benefit of Platinum Games for delivering such a fine game, and for Sega for taking a risk on the Wii.

pakkit

Banned
lawblob said:
The gamer audience between platforms is largely shared. I'd say pitting MadWorld against Resident Evil 5 was a mistake.

markatisu

What did Platinum Games sell on the PS2 (God Hand, etc)? That system had no problems selling "core" games so I wonder if we will have a Suda situation where NMH was not super impressive it was his best selling game ever by miles

Top Bottom