• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

Walshicus

Gaborn said:
Technically the biggest game hype wise over the last 3 years or so would be LBP.
I don't think there's an objective measure of hype available that would warrant a "technically..." response.

For what it's worth [probably not a lot] my brother owns a PS3; he mentioned a couple of times how he was thinking of buying LBP. He hasn't mentioned Killzone 2 once yet. He essentially uses his PS3 to play CoD games with his mates online, so I guess they've not bought it either.

Bad marketing.

kitch9

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Mistakes happen. They were clearly overconfident on the brand strength, and they couldn't foresee the actual economic crysis. And once you've developed a costly machine, it's hard to go back and make it cheaper. Microsoft discovered it by themselves on their first run, so Xbox 360 was designed be much more cost-competitive.

Nope, I don't see it...... The PS2 had a price drop soon after release in Europe as they quickly realised £299 was an unsustainable price, even with its new fangled DVD capabilities.

They've been here before and it didn't work then, and even the most untrained monkey will know it won't work now if you aim is to outsell your lower priced competitor.

We'll not know till PS4, but I guess we'll only see an upspecced PS3 with a greater synergie between the two machines for games developers to enable them to save development costs and still be able to tap the PS3 userbase for very little.

HK-47 said:
Tell me how you quantify hype
people have been jizzing over KZ2 for 4 years. but it's been a roller coaster of hype. not a natural build-up to crescendo.

the valleys being a function of so much time going by without much news or info than people losing interest.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Truant said:
Too bad about Killzone 2. Not a big fan, but that shit was just as good as Gears of War, and was made for the same demographic. Should have sold just as well as the first Gears.

Gears was released in November tho.

IMO, Killzone 2 sold pretty good considering it was going head to head with COD:WAW. People are acting like it is not going to sell another copy after April 2009. I know I mentioned or asked this before, but what are the numbers for the game worldwide?

I am not really surprised Halo Wars sold as well as it did. It's HALO!!! Much like just about anything that is part of a popular franchise such as Mario in it will typically generate some interest and praiseworthy sales. How many strategy games on the X360 sold that well in such a short length of time? Wow, impressive.

I really hope no one is surprised by the PS3 hardware numbers. The console is still double the price of a X360. A system that has most of the popular and good games that the PS3 has. The gap numbers between the two systems are too be expected and no "PS3 exclusive" will change that IMO.

Rhazer Fusion said:
IMO, Killzone 2 sold pretty good considering it was going head to head with COD:WAW. People are acting like it is not going to sell another copy after April 2009. I know I mentioned or asked this before, but what are the numbers for the game worldwide?

Thats really reaching.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
NemesisPrime said:
It is the classic NPD thread "but in the rest of teh world product XXXX is doing 10000 billion times better so we still rule!" reply.

Not really, but it is nice to see passive aggressive replies to it :).

I look at the game hoping that it breaks even as it is a high quality well-crafted game. The studio is talented and has managed to create also wonderful technology and most importantly not implode on itself when the ramp up became to be that massive in terms of man count (managing man years effectively is a very hard task IMHO).

Still, if you want to have an intelligent discussion (and going on the repressed offensive [not even a likable joke? :(...] like that is an indication to me that's not what you were going for) then rational thought does bring you to consider the whole picture.

Someone goes on discussing revenue splits, and then currency fluctuations, to warn people about how it is not "that simple" to calculate the effective revenue SCE takes in for KZ2 retail sales... so I go on reminding him that it is probably not a complete failure in other countries so those sales are to be counted too.

Now, compare what I just wrote (and the same feelings I was expressing earlier) to your dramatization:

""but in the rest of teh world product XXXX is doing 10000 billion times better so we still rule!"

I do not think they are quite the same... ;).

Still, speaking in general terms I do not understand why anyone would not wish Killzone 2 to be selling well.

Zen said:
How is selling 619k in barely over a month (So let's say 600k Ish) a flop? I mean sure it's not CoD/Halo numbers, but these aren't bad numbers (in fact they're breaking PS3 records for SCEA/SCEE.
Like I said, this one will have to have long legs over time. This was the biggest, most talked-about FPS game of this generation after Halo 3. Yet it got owned by Halo Wars? A RTS on training wheels? heavily outsold by a single version of RE5?

I just...if I were a FPS development studio wondering where I should place my financial bets for the future of my company, it's hard for me to say I'd want to put all my eggs in the PS3 and feel safe and secure. The block-busters HAVE to sell strongly, IMO.

Meh, maybe I'm just used to seeing really big games go over a million in their first 2 NPDs. No game was bigger than KillZone 2. Equal to, but not bigger.

I wonder how different the numbers would have looked had Sony put money behind marketing BEFORE the game released. Maybe a SuperBowl spot? And some other well-placed extended commercials?

kitch9

Banned
TTP said:

It was the first game to show what the 360 could do too, most games prior were a little disappointing to say the least.....

I felt a little game starved until GEoW hit with my 360, with only PGR3 keeping me interested for any length of time.

Saying that KZ2 has done around 1.2-1.4 million worldwide, ain't it, so I'm not even sure why we are having this discussion.

chriskun said:
so how much profit goes directly to the developer, like 10 bucks or something?

Actually, I do think it's between like 8-12 per game, not certain though, and I'm sure the relationships varies.

But I think thats when you've got a developer/publisher relationship, as pointed out, GG is owned by Sony, so it's really just about what the split between Sony and retailers is. Not sure what cut retailers are getting these days. Probably like 20 percent.

Panajev2001a said:
We are grasping at straws now, aren't we :p?

Let me say it like this, if SCE were that in danger of not breaking at least even with KZ2 that they had to cross their fingers and hope that the Euro-Yen-$ conversion rates do not fluctuate in a way that hurts them as far as recouping KZ2's development costs is concerned... if we are at that point, well that would mean KZ2 is doing really badly compared to its development costs :lol.

I don't see how this is grasping at straws...I'm not fighting to make KZ2 seem unprofitable, I don't know either way.

But the retailers take a significant enough split to be noted.

Edit : The guy said 36 million, so he was talking about US numbers alone.

kitch9

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Interesting question. I wonder how many copies need to be sold for them to break even?

Its woth considering that the cost of development includes the cost of developing the intricate engine, which I believe will be sold on licence to other developers.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't know if Guerrilla is selling their engine to others.

I'm not sure why people really care how many copies the game sold or where the break-even point is. If the game's sales were to ultimately have any impact on you, you'll know about it down the line (e.g. if Sony didn't fund another KZ or closed Guerrilla and stopped a great team making great games*). There's no point in worrying about it before something like that happens.

* Note: I think these are very unlikely :p Having passed a million in its first month, I'd be fairly confident of them turning a profit on it in the long run, and over a second game that recycles a lot of the investment put into the first.

TTP said:
A more direct comparison with a different game is possible:

Army of Two (360) - Mar 08 - 606k (33 days of sales)
Killzone 2 (PS3) - Feb / Mar 09 - 619k (37 days of sales)

Walshicus

Psychotext said:

Even as someone who doesn't much like Sony, that's just depressing. :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:
I don't know if Guerrilla is selling their engine to others.

In a way they already did something very valuable developing the technology and the whole content pipeline and work/outsourcing methodologies that brought us KZ2 as it is.

I do think that many developers benefit (well, 1st parties before others as they have direct access to the people and the code that was written and before others too :)) when a talnted developer focuses on maximizing a console and produce such a massive game (creating all that high-quality content in a cost-effective and rapid way is no easy task...).

Dabanton

HK-47 said:
So you are saying the hype for Twilight Princess, Halo 3 and Brawl wasnt anywhere near KZ2?

Well the hype for those games was certainly a lot less annoying.

I expect we'll see a lot of changes of avatars over the next few days...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Psychotext said:

that's cold.

Hammer24

Banned
This is the thread equivalent to "Left for Dead" - brain deads attacking left and right, and many accounts, well, left for dead... :lol

On a serious note: any hope we get the top20 anytime soon?

I think Killzone 2 was about 55 million to develop. I suppose I wasn't expecting millions of sales for the game on day one considering that it was coming off a prequel that most people considered lackluster and imo it wasn't advertised as much as it should of been before release. Yes, it was hyped immensely, but I think Sony could of handled the advertising better like Microsoft did with Halo 3 before launch. I am not trying to make excuses, but I really think some people expectations were a tad too high for this game.

squicken

chubigans said:
It DOES help, but one shouldn't substitute magazine covers for billboards/commercials/branding, don't you agree?

And yet Microsoft spent all that money on branding foods/setting up midnight launch parties/tons of media advertising on the game anyways. I wonder why that is.

This may ave been covered, as I haven't read all the thread yet.

Your really don't understand "marketing" at all. You need to stop talking about it. People pay MS for the privilege of putting Halo on soda/french fries. MS doesn't pay them.

ymmv

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
I just...if I were a FPS development studio wondering where I should place my financial bets for the future of my company, it's hard for me to say I'd want to put all my eggs in the PS3 and feel safe and secure. The block-busters HAVE to sell strongly, IMO.

That would be only a serious question if that studio was looking into doing a hugely expensive PS3 exclusive. It's a no brainer to do multiplatform games for the PS3. Capcom has sold at least 1,5 million copies of RE5 wordlwide on the PS3 in just one month for instance. Do you really think they're going to reevaluate their position on the PS3 when KZ doesn't enjoy Halo-like sales figures in the US? :lol :lol

Prine

Banned
Himuro said:
RE5 GOTY

:bow

This is all that needs to be said imo

RE5 is spectacular, its good to see Capcom being rewarded by the world. Focusing on HD consoles has paid off, though i really want them to port this to Wii. Should be enjoyed by everyone like RE4 before it.

Mercs is a beast on its own. Co-op is so much fun... well done Capcom!

:lol @ Musashi! Ruthless bro! You going to update Andy with KZ2 sales? :p

Prine

Banned
:lol i approve of all the Wesker posts!

That guy really doesnt know how to communicate his thoughts intelligently, its the fact that he tries and fails every time that makes him a legend :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
*sigh* The huge sales of RE5, Halo Wars, and KZ2, and the lack of overall sales for say, Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Quests IV and V only reaffirm to me that I just simply do not share the same tastes in games as my American brethren. D:

Well, time to increase the frequency of those Japanese lessons...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ymmv said:
US: 585,000 copies
Japan: 439,000 copies
Europe should be close to US sales figures so that makes at least 1,5 million copies

It's probably fair to say re5 ps3 and re5 360 have sold pretty similarly WW.

Japan can still make a big difference for ps3 where a title is relevant there, despite the overal ww userbase difference.

Assuming this thinking is accurate, then overall they've probably sold about 3m units..which is a pretty good (initial) sell-through of the 4m they shipped.

Psychotext said:

ouch.jpg

RurouniZel said:
*sigh* The huge sales of RE5, Halo Wars, and KZ2, and the lack of overall sales for say, Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Quests IV and V only reaffirm to me that I just simply do not share the same tastes in games as my American brethren. D:

Yeah. Cuz RE5 is sooo not a big deal in Japanland.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Awesome RE5 numbers. It should have no problem outselling RE4's nearly 5 1/2 Million copies after the PC version and re-releases come out.

Street Fighter IV dropped fast though. I was hoping it would stay in the top 10.

RurouniZel said:

And I bet your disappointment just wont stop there either, theres more to come...reap the whirlwind.

Nolan.

Psychotext said:

That '' biggest multimedia project in Dutch history '' sure paying off now for Sony. "A video game more expensive than the most expensive film"= lots of sales+ murderer of halo. I'm just annoyed we still don't have wkc and they did'nt give folklore a bigger budget or sequel, damn bastards.

gkryhewy

Psychotext said:

:lol Wow, that's harsh.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
how is PS3 (costing 2x as much as 360) a bomba at 218k and 360 doing great at 330k?

Both are selling much less than the Wii, a last gen console with terrible games, so I think the industry as a whole looks like crap. Which explains why Id rather bowl in Home than spend my money on mediocre shovelware this gen. That's just my 2kb worth.

The PS3 is down YoY for the ...4th month in a row is it? I haven't been keeping track.

A successful console does not sport dwindling YoY numbers like that.

The 360s 330K is a YoY increase for the console.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Psychotext said:

PS3 version did 224.9K tho :p

kitch9

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
The PS3 is down YoY for the ...4th month in a row is it? I haven't been keeping track.

A successful console does not sport dwindling YoY numbers like that.

The 360s 330K is a YoY increase for the console.

Its difficult as their ain't been a price drop for a bit, the numbers will increase once the price drops, however long that may be.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Psychotext said:

That's not fair. Army of Two was the most hyped game ever in its time. Those sales are really dissappointing, it just shows that 360 only sales game with the name Halo in it.

Top Bottom