• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Rpgmonkey

Good for FFXIII. Hope it (and RoF if they're going to consider whatever it sells a success) inspires more multiplatform JRPGs, at least for those that could probably get something out of it.

Oh, and I'm sad to see so many taken in by the so-called "Superior" Silver. ;)

justjohn said:
Namco must be relieved they never brought TOV to the ps3 in the west. Just look at them abysmal ffxiii sales on the ps3.

Yet more stunning business savvy decisions from this truly awesome institution.

I can see what your saying but couldnt you then mention all the RPG's that have bombed on PS3/360 also.

C4Lukins

OldJadedGamer said:
I think BF2 sales were helped due to the fact that so many gamers were let down with MW2. I'm one of those people that wouldn't have given the game a second look but because MW2 left me high and dry with boring online gameplay I looked to other avenues and found just how fun BF2 is and have been telling all my friends non stop about it.

I can see that point of view, but I think they are essentially very different multiplayer experiences, and someone who is disappointed in MW2 after playing MW for two years will probably just go back to the original Modern Warfare. I think the original Bad Company whether it was the demo or just bad marketing, was not all that compelling to people. Somehow EA was able to market the sequel much better, and from all accounts it is a vastly superior game to the original , so they are doing quite well with it. I almost bought it and I hate Battlefield games. Not because they are bad, but the amount of coordination that is required to make the game compelling for me is not something you will find in a random matchmaking game.

AniHawk

Andrex said:
vs. MW2 360 US LTD?

That version of the game has about a million copies on NSMBW (and this is just from its first 4 months of sales). NSMBW won't catch up until the end of the year, most likely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
That version of the game has about a million copies on NSMBW. NSMBW won't catch up until the end of the year, most likely.

Thanks for the info.

Though I dunno... it seems to me it'll catch it by the end of summer.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rad- said:
Serious? FF13 is now the fastest selling title in the series, all thanks to going multiplatform. And let's remember how disappointing the title ended up, it could've done even more if it actually had met expectations.

Fastest selling doesn't really mean much if it doesn't outsell previous entries in the series overall. We'll see if it gets there without the holiday push; maybe a price drop in the summer will help it.

after seeing how well FFXIII did on 360 i don't understand why anyone would think SE would keep versus exclusive unless they have some agreement with sony.

go go kratos, i bet someone at sony hq is getting a hammering over the stock situation with sw numbers like that they couldve shifted alot more hw if the channels had been stocked.

C4Lukins

Kagari said:
Fastest selling doesn't really mean much if it doesn't outsell previous entries in the series overall. We'll see if it gets there without the holiday push; maybe a price drop in the summer will help it.

The legs on this one will probably be short because of the quality of the game and the critical response. I do not see it reappearing on amazon five years from now because people want to relive or experience for the first time the classic FF13 like previous FF games.

Jomjom

Banned
I think whether the multi-plat experiment was successful or not depends largely on how much time and money it cost SE to port FF13 to 360 (factor in any money MS gave to SE, whether it be straight cash or in the form of subsidized marketing) versus how many "real" sales they received from going multi-plat. By "real" sales I mean the total number of copies sold on both 360 & PS3 minus what they would have sold on just PS3 alone. Inevitably had FF13 been exclusive there would have been some number of people who would have purchased PS3s and the game had they not had the 360 option. Would PS3 exclusive numbers have been greater than the roughly 1.3m currently? I'm guessing not, but there's really no way to tell for sure.

itxaka

Defeatist
Hey guys, I just woke up. Did we get any numbers apart from the top10? Anything on Just Cause 2? I hope they sold great but seeing that the last place is 300k I don't have a lot of hope :(

Battlefield did great

360 moving hardware at a comfortable pace with a YOY increase with nothing really of importance this month. They have to be comfortable with essentially a hardware reboot just a few months away and some big games coming out the next few months. Microsoft is in a very comfortable place right now and will probably have enough room for a price drop on the horizon as well.

Also, I know some are disappointed with FF XIII but I think it did just fine. The PS3 version did fine and the 360 version shifted a fair number of units as well. GOW3 obviously did a great job too.

Pokemon is amazing- I remember when I picked up Pokemon Red and my bro got Pokemon Blue on the same day. It's a juggernaut.

xbhaskarx

AniHawk said:
PS2 22,780,000 (41 months) (February 2004)
PS2 27,912,000 (53 months) (February 2005)

Xbox - 12,450,000 (41 months) (March 2005)
Xbox - 14,280,000 (53 months) (March 2006)

GCN - 9,360,000 (41 months) (March 2005)
GCN - 10,920,000 (53 months) (March 2006)

360 14,917,000 (41 months) (March 2009)
360 19,744,186 (53 months) (March 2010)

PS3 12,079,596 (41 months) (March 2010)

Wii 28,556,081 (41 months) (March 2010)

Next month, the 360 hits SNES/N64 levels in the States and becomes one of the best selling consoles ever in America. By the end of the year it will be in the top five, below the PS2, Wii, NES, and PSX. The PS3 has long since left the Gamecube in the dust and comparatively speaking, is well on its way to beating the Xbox, which should happen sometime before the end of the year since Microsoft discontinued it in 2006. The Wii is currently ahead of the PS2 by over a year and the gap continues to grow.

Interesting... thanks for posting this.

Pooya

WickedLaharl said:
after seeing how well FFXIII did on 360 i don't understand why anyone would think SE would keep versus exclusive unless they have some agreement with sony.
because with strong support from Microsoft and aggressive advertising it sold a bit over half of the PS3 version, not to mention the game being on 3 discs and so more expensive manufacturing cost compared to regular 360 games, Square can insist on further support from Microsoft for future titles in order to bring the games on 360, it depends if Microsoft is willing to do it again or not depending if they are satisfied by the results. Considering they even didn't mention FFXIII in their response to NPD (I didn't see it there, correct me if I'm wrong) I assume they don't like the result and it's below their expectations.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
miladesn said:
because with strong support from Microsoft and aggressive advertising it sold a bit over half of the PS3 version, not to mention the game being on 3 discs and so more expensive manufacturing cost compared to regular 360 games, Square can insist on further support from Microsoft for future titles in order to bring the games on 360, it depends if Microsoft is willing to do it again or not depending if they are satisfied by the results. Considering they even didn't mention FFXIII in their response to NPD (I didn't see it there, correct me if I'm wrong) I assume they don't like the result and it's below their expectations.

Pretty sure last year Greenberg was touting predictions of FFXIII selling more on 360.

neutralgamer02 said:
PlayStation 2 118.3K
PSP 119.9K

That is pretty depressing. Only a matter of time before the ps2 starts outselling the psp. Time to pull the plug?

They need is a price drop.

Regular PSP at $149 amd PSP Go at $199.

However the damage has already been done.

C4Lukins

miladesn said:

Well nobody brags about being number 2 on a multiplatform game. Plus using the 3 DVD's versus one BR breakdown. Really? The manufacturing costs of either is probably under a dollar, and even then I am not sure that 3 DVD's is more costly then a single BR unless MS is charging a premium, which I doubt happened with a title like FF13. This is not the N64 days where the cartridge production costs are half of the retail value of the game.

Kusagari

miladesn said:

It's still easily going to sell over a million on 360 worldwide. I don't know if Square can really pass up those kind of sales with Versus.

JaxJag

Banned
Reading this thread has shown me that a lot of people really was hoping the 360 version of FFXIII would fail, but I don't quite know why.

Kogepan

Kusagari said:
It's still easily going to sell over a million on 360 worldwide. I don't know if Square can really pass up those kind of sales with Versus.

Well, depends on how many ADDITIONAL sales they actually got from going mutliplat. Would 360 owners simply ignore Versus or would they get a PS3 to play it.

Talon

Kogepan said:
Well, depends on how many ADDITIONAL sales they actually got from going mutliplat. Would 360 owners simply ignore Versus or would they get a PS3 to play it.
Come on, now. :lol

Kusagari said:
Versus isn't going to do a quarter of FF13 sales, I doubt SE cares. I doubt the 360 audience would even accept the game after how tepid SE's actual support of the console has been.

The actual game is mostly perceived as rubbish, the 360 version managed to confound Digital Foundry with how poor it was, and they have been hyping the sequels as PS3 exclusives since day one. That's a wonderful way to grow an audience.

sweetvar26 said:
They need is a price drop.

Regular PSP at $149 amd PSP Go at $199.

However the damage has already been done.

I think internally, Sony is going to let PSP1 coast on it's own until the PSP2 drops latter this year. Remember every PSP is sold at a profit and the PSPgo even more so. I don't beleive you'll see a big price drop untill the PSP successor drops.

I'd bet good money that we'll see a PSP2 and a PSPphone in store this holiday.

spwolf

Trailblaster said:
I think internally, Sony is going to let PSP1 coast on it's own until the PSP2 drops latter this year. Remember every PSP is sold at a profit and the PSPgo even more so. I don't beleive you'll see a big price drop untill the PSP successor drops.

I'd bet good money that we'll see a PSP2 and a PSPphone in store this holiday.

i doubt pspgo is selling at profit if it sells such weak numbers. less it sells, more it costs.

JaxJag said:
Reading this thread has shown me that a lot of people really was hoping the 360 version of FFXIII would fail, but I don't quite know why.

well i'm sure there are a few people around the net that were hoping it'd fail so that SE would have less of a reason to go multi with versus.

personally it would make little difference to me.

AniHawk

Try and do handhelds here. Many Bothans died to bring you this information
actually a lot was just google searching old forum archives from different sites so it might not be 100% accurate, but hey).

GBA 31,735,000 (61 months) June 2006
GBA 32,321,000 (65 months) October 2006

PSP 17,232,000 (61 months) March 2010

DS 35,219,000 (61 months) November 2010
DS 40,121,000 (65 months) March 2010

So the DS crosses the 40 million mark in America this month. I think only the PSX, GB/C, and PS2 were able to do that before. The GBA either came real short or barely hit it. What's interesting is that the PSP and DS were actually neck and neck for more than a year (actually the PSP was trouncing it, but LTD sales were almost equal to each other at December 2005). It really wasn't until the DS Lite hit that the system became the monster it is today.

spwolf said:
i doubt pspgo is selling at profit if it sells such weak numbers. less it sells, more it costs.

Have you've seen the PSP go board layout? That thing HAS cost less to make then a PSP3000 board. The 16 gigs of storage and bluetooth dosen't account for the price difference between modles. That all retailer markup because it's DD only. I'm talking strictly profit per unit.

Would be intersting if you could post the PS2's numbers for the next 12 months as a benchmark going forward. Don't know the numbers but it would seem that the 360 could start acutally closing the gap from here on out.

Hero

AniHawk said:
Try and do handhelds here. Many Bothans died to bring you this information
actually a lot was just google searching old forum archives from different sites so it might not be 100% accurate, but hey).

GBA 31,735,000 (61 months) June 2006
GBA 32,321,000 (65 months) October 2006

So the DS crosses the 40 million mark in America this month. I think only the PSX, GB/C, and PS2 were able to do that before. The GBA either came real short or barely hit it. What's interesting is that the PSP and DS were actually neck and neck for more than a year (actually the PSP was trouncing it, but LTD sales were almost equal to each other at December 2005). It really wasn't until the DS Lite hit that the system became the monster it is today.
Nintendogs / Brain Age / Mario Kart DS were the turn of the tide but the DS Lite was the first nail in the coffin for the PSP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
It really wasn't until the DS Lite hit that the system became the monster it is today.

I think this was a given. Lite + NSMB really hit it out of the park for Nintendo and helped them pull ahead.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Son of Godzilla said:
Versus isn't going to do a quarter of FF13 sales, I doubt SE cares. I doubt the 360 audience would even accept the game after how tepid SE's actual support of the console has been.

The actual game is mostly perceived as rubbish, the 360 version managed to confound Digital Foundry with how poor it was, and they have been hyping the sequels as PS3 exclusives since day one. That's a wonderful way to grow an audience.
If SE's support of the 360 has been tepid, I can't imagine what you'd use to describe their support of PS3.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
justjohn said:
Namco must be relieved they never brought TOV to the ps3 in the west. Just look at them abysmal ffxiii sales on the ps3.

Yet more stunning business savvy decisions from this truly awesome institution.
Equalizing the brand power of the Final Fantasy IP to be the same as the Tales of series = :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thunder Monkey said:
Not in March.

Just less demand.

You really think it's more likely a 5-week March with GoWIII and FFXIII had less demand than a 4-week February, than that there was supply issues?

I'm not sure anymore if people are being sarcastic or just a little thick. PS3 supply has been well commented on through March from press and retail. I'm sure people have already posted Gamestop's comments from the middle of the month...I'll take a guess they've much better visibility of the supply situation than anyone here does.

WickedLaharl said:
the psp's abysmal sales are no longer funny.
Honestly, there hasn't been any major releases on PSP in NA to push its sales. There were some interesting games released this year, but they are all niche. I honestly expect bumps when Kingdom Hearts and MGS Peace Walker come out. There hasn't exactly been any universal price drop to really push sales.

Mostly around NA, people want iPod Touches/iPhones and DSi (mostly for the younger ones and some adults).

Son of Godzilla said:

Versus may do not do a quarter of FF13, but I'm not sure that's SE plans for the game, the game has been in production for 3 years at least, and probably the team is as big as FFXIII team, right now.It might not be main FF entry, but sure is a high SE production.

Also they have already ported the engine, so the port would be cheaper than the FFXIII port already (and I can't really imagine all that work to just port FFXIII).

And you'd be surprised how many people in other forums considered the game a very beautiful experience even with the flaws, and consider too there's probably a fair amount of people that probably didn't care or was unaware of the differences...

There may be a different number of reasons why Versus would never be released on 360, like lack on MS involvement or some Sony deal, but SE not getting a nice profit from versus is not one of them...

In fact, I can't fathom why people consider Versus 360 port as something really far fetched, afer what happened with XIII.

SmokyDave said:
Please buy more PSPs my American chums.

Why? There is pretty much no reason to right now.

It's overpriced and there is no seriously compelling software out for it right now that wasn't out a while ago.

If you want a PSP, it makes a ton of sense to simply wait for a price drop or at least until E3 when you know more about Sony's plans going forward, if they react to 3DS, etc.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

an 83% on Metacritic as well as a lot of people who like it is "mostly perceived as rubbish"? The response in the official thread was positive for a while then it turned into the same people shitting on it over and over.

Reaction to the game is very obviously mixed, not mostly rubbish.

And the 360 version is inferior but only in the quality of the CG. The game itself is identical to the PS3 version. It's not "poor" like you make it out to be.

AniHawk

And now the entire last gen vs. current gen orchestra

PS2 22,780,000 (41 months) February 2004 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
PS2 27,912,000 (53 months) February 2005 (vs. 360)
PS2 30,402,000 (61 months) October 2005 (vs. PSP)
PS2 32,472,000 (65 months) February 2006 (vs. DS)

GBA ? (41 months) October 2004 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
GBA 28,630,000 (53 months) October 2005 (vs. 360)
GBA 31,735,000 (61 months) June 2006 (vs. PSP)
GBA 32,321,000 (65 months) October 2006 (vs. DS)

Xbox - 12,450,000 (41 months) March 2005 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
Xbox - 14,280,000 (53 months) March 2006 (vs. 360)

GCN - 9,360,000 (41 months) March 2005 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
GCN - 10,920,000 (53 months) March 2006 (vs. 360)

360 14,917,000 (41 months) March 2009 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
360 19,744,186 (53 months) March 2010

PS3 12,079,596 (41 months) March 2010

Wii 28,556,081 (41 months) March 2010

PSP 12,493,000 (41 months) August 2008 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
PSP 15,736,000 (53 months) August 2009 (vs. 360)

DS 18,886,000 (41 months) March 2008 (vs. PS3 and Wii)
DS 28,963,000 (53 months) March 2009 (vs. 360)

I put the little vs. stuff in there so you know what the months are referring to in particular).

The PS2 wound up selling 10 million more units between February of 2006 and April of 2009, in the States alone, and it's still selling. At my count, it's currently sitting just shy of 45m at 44,982,000 in 114 months on the market.

As for the GBA's 41 month mark, this is all I have
24,125,000 (missing Feb-July 2005 to subtract from this total).
And it was a bitch to even get it down to that. 3-4 of those months were when Nintendo was being a bag of dicks and lumping DS and GBA sales together because DS sales were embarrassingly low.

Top Bottom