• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

ntropy

EmCeeGramr said:
isn't this the exact same reasoning people had for why there wouldn't be a "DS2" at all for years
clumsily spoken. should be "isn't this reasoning similar to people yada yada yada"

Gamasutra typic ally don't post a top 20 until the day after NPD around noon PST right? This one should be quite interesting, with games like Just cause 2, Resonance of Fate, Red Steel 2, Strange Journey and other games i'm forgetting.

m3k

Regulus Tera said:
I'm guessing the reason why HeartGold & SoulSilver are selling like Diamond & Pearl despite being remakes is because most of the people buying it are the kids who got into the series with Gen IV, so the games are actually new for them.

Still, wow. Pokémon's fad is certainly a long-lasting one.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't FFXII released towards the end of October? The fact that FFXIII's PS3 sales match those is actually not very reassuring, if that's the case.

even though i stopped playing halfway through pokemon gold, like 10 years ago, im happy its still such a fad

a spectacular fad

the biggest fad in the history of gaming even?

anyway im starting to think perhaps i should buy another pokemon, but when is the question

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
m3k said:
even though i stopped playing halfway through pokemon gold, like 10 years ago, im happy its still such a fad

a spectacular fad

Me too, buddy.

m3k said:
the biggest fad in the history of gaming even?

Cannot complain considering there's a shortage of fads.

m3k said:
anyway im starting to think perhaps i should buy another pokemon, but when is the question

Dude, Black & White!

What's funny and scary is that we'll probably have similar numbers next march when Gen V gets released. :lol

velvet_nitemare said:
Gamasutra typic ally don't post a top 20 until the day after NPD around noon PST right? This one should be quite interesting, with games like Just cause 2, Resonance of Fate, Red Steel 2, Strange Journey and other games i'm forgetting.

I want to know where God of War collection falls this month.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
velvet_nitemare said:

I'm interested to see how Resonance of Fate really did considering it was undershipped like crazy.

I wonder how much of an impact a significantly better 360 port of FFXIII would have sold. I have two 360-only owning buddies that skipped it entirely because of the "sloppy port" accusations they read on the internet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nintendo PR:

Nintendo said:
According to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States, the Nintendo DS™ family of hand-held systems – including the new Nintendo DSi XL™ – set an all-time record for portable system sales in the month of March, selling more than 700,000 units nationwide. Sales of Nintendo’s Wii™ console reached nearly 560,000 in March as post-holiday inventory began to improve. Nintendo systems accounted for 59 percent of all video game hardware sold in March.

“Demand for Nintendo fun continues unabated,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We’re glad so many people are able to get their hands on our systems as we prepare for the May launches of Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 for Wii and Picross 3D™ for our Nintendo DS systems.”

Four of the top 10 best-selling games in March play only on Nintendo systems. These include Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 1 with more than 1.01 million units sold, Pokémon HeartGold Version at No. 5 with more than 761,000 units sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 7 with more than 457,000 units sold, and Wii Fit Plus™ with Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 10 with more than 339,000 units sold.

Nintendo ignoring God of War III. O: Shots fired!

It's true Pokémon is the best-selling one if you combine SKUs, though.

a Master Ninja said:
I wonder how much of an impact a significantly better 360 port of FFXIII would have sold.

My own instinct is that a better port would've seen an improvement over the one we actually got mostly from cannibalized PS3 sales rather than bringing in many new purchases, but that's really just a guess.

a Master Ninja said:
I wonder how much of an impact a significantly better 360 port of FFXIII would have sold. I have two 360-only owning buddies that skipped it entirely because of the "sloppy port" accusations they read on the internet.
I doubt it had that much of impact...a single-digit percentage probably. I think most people just still strongly associate Final Fantasy and Playstation. It helps the PS3 edition immensely that FFXIII was plugged as practically a defacto exclusive for years prior to release when it may have pushed system sales due to that fact. I still expected things to be a little closer between the two given the marketing push, but without that heavy advertising, it's likely that the X360 version would have suffered, sales-wise.

cakefoo

TheKingsCrown said:
omg its a sony shill defending the shortage! shock! awe!
Is that what I am in your mind for contributing local findings to the discussion? Go play your console wars with someone else, you nitwit.

Am I the only one surprised the PSP moved more than 100k?

And hell yeah, PS3 exclusives in action- loved how MLB managed to squeeze in. Curious how MLB 2K10 fared.

m3k

Regulus Tera said:
Me too, buddy.

Cannot complain considering there's a shortage of fads.

Dude, Black & White!

What's funny and scary is that we'll probably have similar numbers next march when Gen V gets released. :lol

:lol

its success gives me so many lols ... and in a time in the distant future when nintendo announces a 3d pokemon things might possibly be the same

Aselith

Fox318 said:
Really sad about Just Cause 2 not being on the top 10. Great game.

Yeah. :( Hopefully, it'll chart for April.

But Bad Company 2 representin! Good for DICE. They make some awesome games.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
Regulus Tera said:
Nintendo PR:

Nintendo ignoring God of War III. O: Shots fired!

It's true Pokémon is the best-selling one if you combine SKUs, though.

Not ignoring it. SoulSilver is #1 single SKU. GoW3 is number one if you combine different SKUs of the same game (ie: special editions).

AniHawk

Aselith said:
Yeah. :( Hopefully, it'll chart for April.

It most likely won't. Most games don't do much more business in the second month, even if it's on sale longer. The game not selling 350k doesn't mean it didn't do well. It could still be in the top 20.

Freezie KO said:
I must say I'm surprised if the DSi is beating out the Lite. Not much has been done with exclusive content, and, at $30 more, I'd really think price would be an issue. DS is my favorite system, but I think the handheld probably skews young, where price becomes more of a factor than downloadable distribution.

As for 3DS, sure, GBA was selling well when the DS was released, but would the DS have been released if the PSP wasn't on the horizon? Without PSP, GBA could've kept going as well. And I understand what you're saying about striking while the iron is hot, but the iron is really really hot. At least wait until sales slow to 400k or something, while still beating out the rest of the consoles.
being able to take photos on a DSi is a HUGE selling point for parents of kids and tweens. if the DSi played mp3 instead of aac, the DS Lite would have been CRUSHED!

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
hxa155 said:
that's one hell of a spin

It is pretty good. Not quite Playstation-family level, but still. NPD did only recently start sorting their top 10 releases by combining same-game SKUs I guess.

aeolist said:
Does anyone have any idea how well Bad Company 2 did on PC?
probably around 1 million.

DICE commented that the PC version had the most players online, more than either 360 or PS3, but not more than both combined.

then again, maybe the PC version just sold more in europe and less in the USA...

Kusagari

velvet_nitemare said:
One version should probably make it, the question is which?

I imagine one version isn't wildly superior to the other like in the case of FFXIII.

There is no chance in hell RoF makes the top 20. There's a good chance every game from 11-20 will be over 100k because the #10 game was over 300k.

f@luS

More than a member.
Without ps3 shortages, no doubt at all it woul be much highter (at least 400k)

wow @ PS3 FFXIII . So worldwide PS3 FF13 must be around 3.5/4 millions, add maybe 1 million for the 360 version, it will end up at 5+ millions without greatest hits or international alpha prime turbo version.....square must be happy.

still , didnt expect it to double sale on ps3 in the us....i guess FFXIII Versus may stay exclusive

and amazing GOW3 numbers, should be around 2/2.5 millions worldwide already

f@luS said:
still , didnt expect it to double sale on ps3 in the us....i guess FFXIII Versus may stay exclusive

It's amazing to me that people see the numbers and take away the opposite from what any sane businessperson would from them.

elrechazao said:
The existence of shortages, which I don't think any rational person is disputing, does not logically lead to the conclusion that if there were a higher supply, that the ps3 would have sold more in the retail channels. Does that help you understand now?

Well if person A wants to buy a PS3 and can not, because of the fact that there is no PS3 to buy, that consequently has a negative impact on the total sales. If that is the case than it is logical.

But if you prefer to choose the perspective of PS3 having such low demand that the low shipping supplysomehow magically is just enough to NOT have a negative impact on total sales, well than your argument holds.

C4Lukins

I think every fanboy should be pretty happy with the results this month.

Sony- God of War 3 did amazingly well, especially for a console exclusive. It did that in a month where it was competing with on its own system FF13, MLB and Battlefield which all performed remarkably well. They finally showed that they could sell a ton of core games, and they did it with 4 titles in the same month. There is no doubt that it shows that they have turned a corner.

Hardware is a bit of a different matter. Yes they came in third, but they were right there with the 360. The PS3 is selling much better then last year, and it was not long ago that this system looked like it may never takeoff when it was selling in the 100K range. If there were significant shortages, well that was a big mistake by Sony considering how important this month should have been to them in turning the game around, but still those hardware numbers are solid on their own and we should see the system continue to perform well in the coming months if there is some sort of built up demand. It will be interesting to see if that demand can counter MS and what looks to be a stronger lineup going forward over the short-term.

MS- Hardware sales remained consistent, and they get a slight moral victory for edging out the the PS3. Big software titles like Battlefield and FF13 did great. Seeing as they had no major exclusive this month, I am sure they are happy with potentially costing Sony a few PS3 hardware sales in the longterm by getting FF13, and hanging in there in both software and hardware while being outmatched by Sony gamewise the last two months.

Nintendo- A nice rebound for the Wii. It was starting to look like maybe they were beginning to flatline a bit, but they just continue to kick ass on hardware sales. NSMB Wii looks to be another unstoppable force that will just keep selling, and Wii Fit is not going anywhere.

The DS as usual continues to baffle. Just when you start to think everyone and there mother owns two of them each it just continues to sell. And of course Pokemon as usual continues to be Pokemon.

Battlefield Bad Company 2- What a huge turn around for that series. It seemed like there was zero hype for the original, and they somehow turned it around and just blew the sales of the original out of the water. Combined it was right up there with FF13, and I never would have expected that from an offshoot of the Battlefield series. I do not want to do a whole separate God of War analysis, but I really thought the 360 version of Battlefield would outsell it with all the hype I was seeing. When you compare its first month sales to say Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, or Killzone 2 it kind of amazes me how well GOW3 did.

Final Fantasy 13- Just great sales all around. I would have to go back and look at how past FF games did in North America on launch, but it looks like this one did double FF12 in its first month.

I see people debating the merits of it going multiplatform, and I can see no real negative in how it all turned out. The 360 port was probably close to being completely subsidized by MS through their marketing push on the game, the bundles, and potentially a money hat here or there. The series gets the benefit of reaching another 30 million consumers worldwide, and will probably sell a million plus on the 360. I think every sale they get on the 360 is just gravy at this point for Square. The PS3 gets a huge third party title, that outsold the previous FF over its first month quite significantly, and has their competition marketing the thing for them, and they have the superior version of it to boot. And the game is selling this well with heavy criticism and very mediocre reviews. This is not something that tends to have much of an effect on more casual games, but for the PS3 and 360 it tends to be a death sentence.

In conclusion, great month all around for everybody. Your console of choice did not suffer or fail this month, and we got a ton of great games that sold well. This very long and bloated but after all the lol's and general trolling I had a lot of material to go over.

Enkidu

The Faceless Master said:
probably around 1 million.

DICE commented that the PC version had the most players online, more than either 360 or PS3, but not more than both combined.

then again, maybe the PC version just sold more in europe and less in the USA...
Yeah, those comments were only true about Europe. In the US it was the usual console dominance.

Top Bottom