• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

ZeoVGM

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
:lol :lol

Why are you laughing at that? Please, talk instead of making useless posts. It is a fact that there have been PS3 shortages. Most people who work in retail can tell you that. You laughing doesn't change that.

It's not an excuse for the sales: I believe 360 would still outsell it. But the simple fact is that for whatever reason, shipments have been VERY low, across the country, since Christmas.

justjohn

Namco must be relieved they never brought TOV to the ps3 in the west. Just look at them abysmal ffxiii sales on the ps3.

Yet more stunning business savvy decisions from this truly awesome institution.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
When you compare its first month sales to say Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, or Killzone 2 it kind of amazes me how well GOW3 did.

I am not surprised it sold better than Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2. The God of War brand was built at the tail end of the PS2's life (or the mid point if it keeps selling? :lol ) so it had a much larger audience built in. I never really understood Sony's "new IP on expensive hardware" approach to building a franchise on PS3 but I'm guessing more than a few of those are never coming back (not holding my breath on a Heavenly Sword or Lair sequel getting announced).

Plus Dante's Inferno sold 500K in February so GOW3 pretty much had to sell a million copies for their to be any justice left in the world.

I'm still more surprised it outsold a whole month's worth of sales for the 360 version of BC2.

C4Lukins

timetokill said:
It's amazing to me that people see the numbers and take away the opposite from what any sane businessperson would from them.

It takes a certain level of delusion. It is funny because if you look at the Battlefield numbers, they are like a mirror image only the consoles are switched. "This makes me think EA may stay exclusive to the 360 in the future."

I mean really, that is around 500K, at 60 dollars a pop, over the course of less then a month, in a single territory, which is 30 million dollars in revenue. I mean why waste your time? Why even have the Dark Knight in Europe when you have to translate it into all of those different languages and it will only generate half the revenue of the US version?

AniHawk

PS2 22,780,000 (41 months) (February 2004)
PS2 27,912,000 (53 months) (February 2005)

Xbox - 12,450,000 (41 months) (March 2005)
Xbox - 14,280,000 (53 months) (March 2006)

GCN - 9,360,000 (41 months) (March 2005)
GCN - 10,920,000 (53 months) (March 2006)

360 14,917,000 (41 months) (March 2009)
360 19,744,186 (53 months) (March 2010)

PS3 12,079,596 (41 months) (March 2010)

Wii 28,556,081 (41 months) (March 2010)

Next month, the 360 hits SNES/N64 levels in the States and becomes one of the best selling consoles ever in America. By the end of the year it will be in the top five, below the PS2, Wii, NES, and PSX. The PS3 has long since left the Gamecube in the dust and comparatively speaking, is well on its way to beating the Xbox, which should happen sometime before the end of the year since Microsoft discontinued it in 2006. The Wii is currently ahead of the PS2 by over a year and the gap continues to grow.

Rad-

still , didnt expect it to double sale on ps3 in the us....i guess FFXIII Versus may stay exclusive

Serious? FF13 is now the fastest selling title in the series, all thanks to going multiplatform. And let's remember how disappointing the title ended up, it could've done even more if it actually had met expectations.

AniHawk said:

That speaks volumes. The Wii could sell 0 consoles a month for the next year, and it would still be safely ahead of where the PS2 was at that point in its life.

Mooreberg said:
I never really understood Sony's "new IP on expensive hardware" approach to building a franchise on PS3 but I'm guessing more than a few of those are never coming back (not holding my breath on a Heavenly Sword or Lair sequel getting announced).
You can bet your ass that Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet and Demon's Souls sequels are coming back. You win some you lose some.

Cynar

360 sales of ff13 are pretty good. Probably a good chance we'll be seeing versus hopefully on 360. It's not double the sales as people are saying for ps3, basic math is pretty cool to figure that out.

Also wow @ god of war, I thought for sure pokemon would be #1.

AniHawk

Cynar said:
360 sales of ff13 are pretty good. It's not double the sales as people are saying for ps3, basic math is pretty cool to figure that out.

Also wow @ god of war, I thought for sure pokemon would be #1.

It was.

rpmurphy

Looks like a good decision for SE to have made FF13 multiplatform. And good fortune too, since with the PS3 shortages happening, it probably would have suffered overall lower first month sales (or more) if it had stayed exclusive.

C4Lukins

AniHawk said:

Xbox - 14,280,000 (41 months) (March 2006)
Xbox - 14,410,000 (50 months) There is no more data for the Xbox after December 2006 because Microsoft murdered it.

GCN - 10,920,000 (41 months) (March 2006)
GCN - 11,540,000 (53 months) (March 2007)

360 13,697,000 (41 months) (March 2009)
360 19,744,186 (53 months) (March 2010)

Next month, the 360 hits SNES/N64 levels in the States and becomes one of the best selling consoles ever in America. By the end of the year it will be in the top five, below the PS2, Wii, NES, and PSX. The PS3 has long since left the Gamecube in the dust and comparatively speaking, is well on its way to beating the Xbox, which should happen sometime before the end of the year since Microsoft discontinued it in 2006. The Wii is currently ahead of the PS2 by over a year and the gap continues to grow.

So the original XBOX outperformed the 360 through 41 months? Not to doubt your numbers, but it seemed that the 360 consistantly outsold the origianl XBOX over that period, especially during the holiday season. I could be completely off though, it just feels wrong somehow.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
AniHawk said:
Xbox - 14,280,000 (41 months) (March 2006)
360 13,697,000 (41 months) (March 2009)

Is that 360 number correct? Had no idea the 360 was behind the original xbox a year ago.

edit: beaten above.

edit: Wouldn't 41 months be March 2005 for the OXbox?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
C4Lukins said:
So the original XBOX outperformed the 360 through 41 months? Not to doubt your numbers, but it seemed that the 360 consistantly outsold the origianl XBOX over that period, especially during the holiday season. I could be completely off though, it just feels wrong somehow.
Remember Xbox was replaced in 4 years...only 48 months. Hence why it tanked in the middle of the 3rd year.

Think to note about 360 is that it is still experiencing constant growth nearly on a monthly base. PS3 also seems to have finally got into a pattern too. Wii definitely became a bit stagnant...but it was up in the heavens so long. And all 3 still have allot of room to move around in with price drops.

C4Lukins said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2- What a huge turn around for that series. It seemed like there was zero hype for the original, and they somehow turned it around and just blew the sales of the original out of the water. Combined it was right up there with FF13, and I never would have expected that from an offshoot of the Battlefield series. I do not want to do a whole separate God of War analysis, but I really thought the 360 version of Battlefield would outsell it with all the hype I was seeing. When you compare its first month sales to say Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, or Killzone 2 it kind of amazes me how well GOW3 did.

I think BF2 sales were helped due to the fact that so many gamers were let down with MW2. I'm one of those people that wouldn't have given the game a second look but because MW2 left me high and dry with boring online gameplay I looked to other avenues and found just how fun BF2 is and have been telling all my friends non stop about it.

AniHawk

user_nat said:
Is that 360 number correct? Had no idea the 360 was behind the original xbox a year ago.

Yeah, they're incorrect. I've been using the wrong base numbers for all of them for a while now, it appears. The PS2 ones are in question, but I have no way of knowing what the real sales are because I can't find NPD hardware data from October 2000-October 2001.

Everything should be correct now, though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
sillymonkey321 said:
Red Steel 2 got plenty of advertisement. It's never enough for some games. I remember PS3 fans harping on Uncharted 2 for not having enough ads....

exactly. advertising can bring awareness. it wont make you buy something you dont want.

AniHawk

user_nat said:

edit: Wouldn't 41 months be March 2005 for the OXbox?

...Yes.

Damn, I knew something was off. Okay, the PS2 number should be fine then, or at least very close to what it was.

AniHawk said:
Yeah, they're incorrect. I've been using the wrong base numbers for all of them for a while now, it appears. The PS2 ones are in question, but I have no way of knowing what the real sales are because I can't find NPD hardware data from October 2000-October 2001.

Everything should be correct now, though.

360 started outselling Xbox in month 15. In month 15, I have 360 at 4.8 mil units and Xbox at 4.74 million.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
AniHawk said:
...Yes.

Damn, I knew something was off. Okay, the PS2 number should be fine then, or at least very close to what it was.
Looks better now.

mujun

I can't believe the 360 version of FFXIII sold as many as it did considering it's an inferior port and is well known as a Sony franchise.

:D

hxa155

mujun said:
I can't believe the 360 version of FFXIII sold as many as it did considering it's an inferior port and is well known as a Sony franchise.

The power of exclusive advertising.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
The Wii is currently ahead of the PS2 by over a year and the gap continues to grow.

sogood.gif

C4Lukins

mujun said:

Well you have to consider that most people do not own both a PS3 and a 360, and that it is only an inferior port graphically, and the load times and actual gameplay are virtually identical. You have inferior ports and then you have bad ports. There is a big difference in a FPS or Racing game that runs at half the framerate and double the loading time and a JRPG that has some overly compressed FMV's and inferior character model details.

Slavik81

timetokill said:
It's amazing to me that people see the numbers and take away the opposite from what any sane businessperson would from them.
You mean that they sold more copies because it's multi-platform? Those numbers don't tell you that. In order to make that conclusion from those numbers, you'd need to know how much it would have sold if it were exclusive.

Not that the conclusion is wrong mind you. Going multiplatform probably did help them reach a larger audience, but that's just basic common sense. The assumptions you'd need to make to get that conclusion from those numbers would have to be begging the question.

tl;dr: When people look at those numbers, they see what they've already concluded, because the numbers don't inherently support either conclusion.

AniHawk said:
360 - 14,917,000 (41 months) (March 2009)
Xbox- 12,450,000 (41 months) (March 2005)
PS3 - 12,079,596 (41 months) (March 2010)
Well, the good news is we are quickly getting to the point when the original Xbox stopped being sold.

AniHawk

NSMBW has sold 5.7m copies in five months. The last console Mario game to do as well was SM64. It took about 5+ years for that game to hit 6m copies.

Slavik81 said:
You mean that they sold more copies because it's multi-platform? Those numbers don't tell you that. In order to make that conclusion from those numbers, you'd need to know how much it would have sold if it were exclusive.

Perhaps, but I'm also taking into account Final Fantasy's sales historically. And when you look at those and then at FF13's sales, it does support the multiplatform argument.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
NSMBW has sold 5.7m units in five months. The last console Mario game to do as well was SM64. It took about 5+ years for that game to hit 6m units.

vs. MW2 360 US LTD?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The gaming industry is much bigger now. People should consider that when comparing numbers. Just because a console has sold more than a one from a previous generation doesn't accurately compare the performances based on the state of the industry.

Top Bottom