• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

hxa155

CozMick said:
My meaning of "mindless fun" is a game that doesn't require a lot of thinking, i.e a shooter. {most shooters, not all}

Point, shoot!

Where as FFXIII requires alot of thinking to achieve a goal.

Even though I somehow agree with you, you're going to be eaten alive by gaf soon :lol

hxa155 said:
Even though I somehow agree with you, you're going to be eaten alive by gaf soon :lol

As he should be. What nonsense was that? That is what happens when 14 year olds give their opinions on the Internet.

CozMick said:
a) My collection is exactly that, oh and xbox Top 10 UU list agrees with me. http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/04/07/live-activity-for-week-of-march-29.aspx

I'm not sure if you're trolling but...

I'm sure the top 10 PS3 list would look similar and for obvious reasons. You constantly come back to shooters for the multiplayer while with RPG's, you play it once and never touch it again.

New releases constantly crack the top 10 whether they're shooters or not but only temporarily unless they have a compelling multiplayer component which is something most non-shooters like FF13 lack.

Salacious Crumb

CozMick said:
My meaning of "mindless fun" is a game that doesn't require a lot of thinking, i.e a shooter. {most shooters, not all}

Point, shoot!

The act of pulling the trigger when your crosshair is over a target is mindless, but outsmarting another human to get your crosshair over them in the first place can be a very demanding task.

I'll concede though that Just about every single player shooter that focuses solely on shooting (cod, killzone, and most other shooters as you point out) is extremely mindless and not at all fun to me.

LCfiner

CozMick said:

Point, shoot!

Not until you're 10 hours into it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised and intrigued by FFXIIIPS3 outselling the 360 version.

I really love the game, I've put close to 40 hours into it, and am still playing after taking a few weeks break after getting to Chapter 11. It is really worth sticking with.

CozMick

Banned
Koopakiller said:
I'm not sure if you're trolling but...

I'm sure the top 10 PS3 list would look similar and for obvious reasons. You constantly come back to shooters for the multiplayer while with RPG's, you play it once and never touch it again.

New releases constantly crack the top 10 whether they're shooters or not but only temporarily unless they have a compelling multiplayer component which is something most non-shooters like FF13 lack.

Trolling about what?

I own an Xbox 360, play it regulary.

I own a PS3, play it regulary.

I just happened to say that I and ALL of my friends list are shooter fans and bought there 360 for that sole purpose, which in my eyes are mindless fun shooters.

Salacious Crumb

Oh I also completely forgot about the most crucial part of BC2, coordinating your team. So amongst all the balls to the wall action you have to coordinate your team in such a way as to most effectively capture or defend certain objectives. You must consider which class would be best suited for any given situation and, how and where to most effectively use vehicles.

BC2 is one of the most mentally demanding games released this year, shooter or otherwise.

legend166

Vagabundo said:
At least it charted in the top 20. Not great though, probably about 50k?

EdIt: Wait... Waht??

Doubloe Edit: You're a bit of a basstard Ani... :lol :lol

There's two things wrong with this post.

1. You believed AniHawk.

2. You think that number 15 would only sell 50k when number 10 sold 350k.

CozMick said:
Trolling about what?

I own an Xbox 360, play it regulary.

I own a PS3, play it regulary.

I just happened to say that I and ALL of my friends list are shooter fans and bought there 360 for that sole purpose, which in my eyes are mindless fun shooters.

Someone else already said it but you label the 360 as a shooter box even though it's not any different than PS3

The fact is, shooters are popular this gen

The highest selling games on 360 are MW2 and Gears of War

The highest selling games on PS3 are MW2 and Uncharted 2

If you use your logic, you can call both of them shooter boxes. Non-shooters have performed well on both platforms but the highest selling games this gen, regardless of the platform, are mostly shooters.

hxa155

NemesisPrime said:
As he should be. What nonsense was that? That is what happens when 14 year olds give their opinions on the Internet.

He's right. Deal with it. It takes a bit more thinking to play an RPG than an FPS. Of course, some FPS games take more strategy than others but still...

Considering the fantastic sales of God of War III and the lack of any exclusive titles released for the Xbox 360...I would have expected PS3 hardware sales to be much greater.

hxa155

Koopakiller said:
Someone else already said it but you label the 360 as a shooter box even though it's not any different than PS3

The fact is, shooters are popular this gen

The highest selling games on 360 are MW2 and Gears of War

The highest selling games on PS3 are MW2 and Uncharted 2

I don't think so. If we're talking worldwide, MGS4, GTA4, FF13 and GT5P all sold more than Uncharted 2.

Apath

hxa155 said:
He's right. Deal with it. It takes a bit more thinking to play an RPG than an FPS. BTW, your avatar is horrible.
:lol

And I don't see where you get that it takes more thinking to play an RPG in comparison to a FPS. Something like Devil Survivor? Demon's Souls? Sure. I agree. Kingdom Hearts, Oblivion, hell, Tales of Vesperia? No.

People are quick to discredit FPS as archaic or "mindless" simply because it all comes down top the mechanics of point and shoot, but really that's not all there is to it. There are weapon counters, positioning, distance, how quickly you should pull the trigger or hold it down, whether to play defensively, camp, etc. There are tons of factors, just like in an RPG where you need to decide to to position your party, which character should fill role A or role B, etc.

And when it comes down to it, they are both pretty dumb. I was able to play old school RPGs just fine at eight, just like eight year olds today can play a FPS just fine.

hxa155

Kenak said:

And I don't see where you get that it takes more thinking to play an RPG in comparison to a FPS.

Just in general, I suppose. In some RPGs you just push X and you win. But some RPGs like Demon's Souls, Shin Megami Tensei, it requires more strategy. I might be wrong about FPS games, but I'm just talking generally from a mainstream viewpoint.

PS3 is having a nice recovery as is 360 (over time), but bajeesus, has ANY electronic device sold 700k in a month this late in its life ? (besides the PC perhaps?)

Apath

hxa155 said:
Just in general, I suppose. In some RPGs you just push X and you win. But some RPGs like Demon's Souls, Shin Megami Tensei, it requires more strategy. I might be wrong about FPS games, but I'm just talking generally from a mainstream viewpoint.
Just understand that making gross generalizations on an entire genre of games that spans across an entire decade of refinement is dumb.

Salacious Crumb

hxa155 said:
oh so clever

I never said that FPS are easy. Just the vast majority of them.

You post an RPG that demands strategic play to some how prove your point, I post an FPS that demands strategic play to prove mine. I know it doesn't make much sense, but you led the way my friend.

Dragon

Banned
Koopakiller said:

1. This is simply not true for everyone.
2. RPGs are single player experiences for the most part (I assume you're ignoring the online versions) and take much longer to complete than first person shooters.

Your own personal experiences are your own, they don't necessarily apply to the public at large :D

hxa155

Kenak said:
Just understand that making gross generalizations on an entire genre of games that spans across an entire decade of refinement is dumb.

Why not? Everything can be generalized. In general, shmups are difficult. It doesn't mean there aren't any easy ones.

Elios83

Still nothing about the top 20, HR and Yakuza3? :/
I want to believe that Y3 sold enough to warrant the localization of Y4, let's say around 100k.

Apath

hxa155 said:
Why not? Everything can be generalized. In general, shmups are difficult. It doesn't mean there aren't any easy ones.
Then at least make intelligent ones. =P FPS genre is a lot of things, but mindless isn't something that can be used to describe it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
J Tourettes said:

DS is unfuckingbelievable to still be pulling in those kind of numbers.

I dont even wanna know what would happen if they would drop the ds price to 99 bucks LOL.

hxa155

Kenak said:
Then at least make intelligent ones. =P FPS genre is a lot of things, but mindless isn't something that can be used to describe it.

Dude, don't be offended as if I shat on your grave. :lol From my experience with MW, MW2 and Halo 3, FPS's can be quite mindless, in contrast to games like Operation Flashpoint.

Apath

hxa155 said:
Dude, don't be offended as if I shat on your grave. :lol From my experience with MW, MW2 and Halo 3, FPS's can be quite mindless, in contrast to games like Operation Flashpoint.
People take these conversations too seriously =\ I'm just bored and can't sleep on a friday morning :D

And Halo is anything but mindless.

mujun

CozMick said:

Point, shoot!

Most "mindless" shooters are over (and that is a good thing in my book) before you even need to think about anything beyond pushing one button in FFXIII. I couldn't play more than 7 hours of the game before the combination of the absolutely terrible story/characters and the boring pacing drove me to sell it.

Scotch

Nice to see a PS3 exclusive finally doing *really* well. I mean even Uncharted 2 sold alright but not as much as it deserved.

Hopefully Bad Company 2 will show the same kind of legs it seems to be having in Europe.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opus Angelorum said:
I'd suggest that will be built using the Frostbite 2 engine, which may be reserved for the next generation.
It's being built on Frostbite 2, but that's actually also for this generation.

25k4xaw.jpg

These two actually have Battlefield 3 on their resume even:

http://se.linkedin.com/in/repii
http://se.linkedin.com/in/kristofferbenjaminsson

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Salacious Crumb said:
Frostbite 2 might be for this generation, but BF3 remains PC exclusive for now, and hopefully forever.
*Looks at sales in the OP*

*Looks at executive statements about trying to topple Call of Duty with Battlefield*

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

CiSTM

Banned
Nirolak said:

*Looks at executive statements about trying to topple Call of Duty with Battlefield*

BF3 has been in the makings over 3 years and at the moment it is PC exclusive. BF on pc is also million seller so there is no point to piss of the PC fans.

Salacious Crumb

Nirolak said:

I'm positive there will be a BC3 for consoles and PC before the end of this gen, but a mainline 64 player BF title won't work on consoles, it just wasn't meant for them. Also don't forget that BF2 sold just shy of 2.5 million worldwide. PC exclusive games can be, and are a profitable venture (just look at CD Projekt).

Top Bottom