• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why has this thread slowly turned into a Versus going 360 speculation discussion? It's starting to get as annoying as the MGS4 going to the 360 speculation.

Anyway good sales for XIII and GoW3!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ULTROS! said:
Why has this thread slowly turned into a Versus going 360 speculation discussion?
Because now that FFXIII is out, console warriors have to start drawing the lines in the sand for the next battle.

spwolf

Trailblaster said:
Have you've seen the PSP go board layout? That thing HAS cost less to make then a PSP3000 board. The 16 gigs of storage and bluetooth dosen't account for the price difference between modles. That all retailer markup because it's DD only. I'm talking strictly profit per unit.

they are not making any profit on them if they sell 10,000 per month.

CozMick

Banned
Amazing GoW and FFXIII (PS3) numbers.

Not surprised by the BFBC2 360 numbers, it is after all a mindless shooter driven console. but still 800k is quite a feat.

Expected the FFXIII (360) numbers, although in the UK these figures will be quite the opposite, MS made sure of that by making us believe it was "Only on Xbox 360"

Overall decent sales all round..............

But God Damn Ninty!!!!! 700 thousand in a month.........again? WOW!

SmokyDave

omg rite said:
Why? It's had very little worth buying for quite a while.
To each his own, I think the line-up has been pretty damned fine lately. Mind you, I'm in the EU.

I guess I just feel that a PSP & PSN account is an excellent way to play good handheld games on nice hardware for very little money and it's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be resonating with people. I'm worried that the PSP2 will end up as a re-skinned I-Pod Touch with 3D in order to appease buyers of the other handhelds.

jorma

is now taking requests
SmokyDave said:
To each his own, I think the line-up has been pretty damned fine lately. Mind you, I'm in the EU.

I guess I just feel that a PSP & PSN account is an excellent way to play good handheld games on nice hardware for very little money and it's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be resonating with people. I'm worried that the PSP2 will end up as a re-skinned I-Pod Touch with 3D in order to appease buyers of the other handhelds.

I'd buy a psp compatible smartphone with an integrated "psn-app" in a heartbeat. Why has this not happened already? I mean it's Sony-Ericsson, they should be able to do this with no problems. :x

mujun

CozMick said:

Not surprised by the BFBC2 360 numbers, it is after all a mindless shooter driven console. but still 800k is quite a feat.

Expected the FFXIII (360) numbers, although in the UK these figures will be quite the opposite, MS made sure of that by making us believe it was "Only on Xbox 360"

These are the sort of posts I love. I bet you don't even think you sound like a fanboy.

PS3 game sales = awesome!

no wonder there were good sales of this 360 game, you know what 360 owners are like!

totally knew that 360 game would do those numbers. It is M$ after all.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
mujun said:
These are the sort of posts I love. I bet you don't even think you sound like a fanboy.

PS3 game sales = awesome!

no wonder there were good sales of this 360 game, you know what 360 owners are like!

totally knew that 360 game would do those numbers. It is M$ after all.

did we get an expanded software chart (with a top20 or 30) or those are long forgotten now? i don't remember seeing it last month or the month before, either.

Pooya

CozMick said:

smh, Isn't Modern Warfare the best selling game on PS3? didn't games like Fallout, Dragon Age and Oblivion sell a lot more on 360? not to mention Fable 2. I can say the same for PS3 but ofcourse it's not true.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Why has this thread slowly turned into a Versus going 360 speculation discussion? It's starting to get as annoying as the MGS4 going to the 360 speculation.

Anyway good sales for XIII and GoW3!

Well the difference is that Versus is very likely for multiple logical factors. Not a definite, of course.

But it's kind of a natural speculation considering the first game in the "series" hit 360 and did well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
CozMick said:

I wonder if you even realize how stupid you sound for a) pretending that shooters are all or even the majority of what the 360 has to offer and b) insinuating that BFBC2 is a "mindless shooter" as if it's not a fantastic game.

SmokyDave

jorma said:
I'd buy a psp compatible smartphone with an integrated "psn-app" in a heartbeat. Why has this not happened already? I mean it's Sony-Ericsson, they should be able to do this with no problems. :x
Actually, so would I, especially if it had a multi-touch screen for Remote Play media loveliness. It would have to have traditional D-pad and buttons for games though. I like the idea of PSN as a platform as it makes the PSPs incoming death relatively meaningless (provided future units are B/C with the PSN stuff).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
JaxJag said:
Reading this thread has shown me that a lot of people really was hoping the 360 version of FFXIII would fail, but I don't quite know why.
Well there was that one minor incident where Square shot themselves in the foot.

jorma

is now taking requests
SmokyDave said:
Actually, so would I, especially if it had a multi-touch screen for Remote Play media loveliness. It would have to have traditional D-pad and buttons for games though. I like the idea of PSN as a platform as it makes the PSPs incoming death relatively meaningless (provided future units are B/C with the PSN stuff).

One can only dream. I'd like to be able to use my current ps3 psn-id for this as well. Integrate the whole thing, with trophies and all.

CozMick

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
The fuck, son.

Maybe i'm the only mindless shooter gamer?

My current 360 collection consists of.....

Halo 3
Halo ODST (unplayed)
Gears
Gears 2
Cod 4
Cod WaW
MW2
Forza 3
L4D
L4D2
Lost Planet
and finally......
Crackdown

Oh and don't fanboys have to be one console owner or have times changed from the SEGA/Ninty days?
:lol

xbhaskarx

CozMick said:

!

1z4yi39.gif

AniHawk

My retail 360 collection is:

The Orange Box <3 <3
Mass Effect <3
Mirror's Edge <3 <3
Burnout Paradise <3
Fallout 3 <3
Bayonetta <3
Banjo-Kazooie :\
Batman: Arkham Asylum <3
Chronicles of Riddick :)

So... 2.5ish shooters, depending how you count Fallout 3 I guess.

Although in the past year, I have sunk about 120-140 hours into The Orange Box, so

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CozMick said:
Maybe i'm the only mindless shooter gamer?
More like its a mindless shooter generation. The 360 is most certainly not unique in being dominated by shooters.
Oh and don't fanboys have to be one console owner or have times changed from the SEGA/Ninty days? :lol
That's never been true and is certainly not true nowadays.

AniHawk

hxa155 said:
so....11-20?

11. Just Cause 2 360
12. Uncharted 2 PS3
13. Scribblenauts NDS
14. Heavy Rain PS3
15. Red Steel 2 Wii
16. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story NDS
17. Mario Kart Wii Wii
18. Just Cause 2 PS3
19. Forsaken 64 N64
20. Pokemon Silver GBC

Eliciel

Son of Godzilla said:
Reading this thread it seems I'm pretty much the only person who did this, so just for your entertainment, here are some quotes I made last month pertaining to GoW3:

There were people saying ridiculous things last month. That GoW3 wouldn't be able to beat BFBC2 360. That FF13 wouldn't sell more than 1mill combined, and it would have a 3:1 split. I don't think expecting GoW3 to reach 1.3 mill is nearly as nutty as some of the things that happen in these threads.

word.

Only numbers that got me shocked are PlayStation 2....wtf is going on there it only does everything. we are in 2010, March and this it is still selling over 100k per month. Damn

CozMick

Banned
omg rite said:
I wonder if you even realize how stupid you sound for a) pretending that shooters are all or even the majority of what the 360 has to offer and b) insinuating that BFBC2 is a "mindless shooter" as if it's not a fantastic game.

a) My collection is exactly that, oh and xbox Top 10 UU list agrees with me. http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/04/07/live-activity-for-week-of-march-29.aspx

b) I own BFBC2 and have put in over a 100hrs. It is indeed mindless fun.

You guys really are nit picking this month.

spwolf said:
they are not making any profit on them if they sell 10,000 per month.

Wait....if they are selling them for more money then they cost to make how are they not making a profit?
i'm not saying your wrong i just don't see how that can be the case.

Not to mention that every Go owner is locked into buying games off PSN in which Sony gets a higher return
from Software sold vs UMD software. I'd venture to guess that to Sony, 1 PSP go owner is worth 5 PSP3000 owner.

mbnmac

Neo Member
AniHawk said:
11. Just Cause 2 360
12. Uncharted 2 PS3
13. Scribblenauts NDS
14. Heavy Rain PS3
15. Red Steel 2 Wii
17. Mario Kart Wii Wii
18. Just Cause 2 PS3
19. Forsaken 64 N64
20. Pokemon Silver GBC

you had me until red steel at 15

and man I HAD forsaken, that was mind blowing back then

Salacious Crumb

CozMick said:
b) I own BFBC2 and have put in over a 100hrs. It is indeed mindless fun.

What makes something mindless fun? I find BC2 to be far more mentally stimulating than games like FFXIII, GoW3 and pretty much any other game that isn't an RTS, TBS or sim (real sims not GT5 or Forza 3).

RJT

Trailblaster said:
Wait....if they are selling them for more money then they cost to make how are they not making a profit?
i'm not saying your wrong i just don't see how that can be the case.
Well, that's kind of Economics 101. Cost is usually a function of quantity. Within certain limits, cost goes down with larger quantities. What he means is PSP Go sells so little that the fixed costs they have with its production aren't covered by their price (as high as it may be).

The theoretical formula is: Cost per Unit = Marginal Cost per Unit + Fixed Costs / Quantity

Of course, reality is much more complex than that, but the principle still stands.

Vagabundo

AniHawk said:
11. Just Cause 2 360
12. Uncharted 2 PS3
13. Scribblenauts NDS
14. Heavy Rain PS3
15. Red Steel 2 Wii
17. Mario Kart Wii Wii
18. Just Cause 2 PS3
19. Forsaken 64 N64
20. Pokemon Silver GBC

At least it charted in the top 20. Not great though, probably about 50k?

EdIt: Wait... Waht??

Doubloe Edit: You're a bit of a basstard Ani... :lol :lol

RJT

Vagabundo said:
At least it charted in the top 20. Not great though, probably about 50k?

EdIt: Wait... Waht??
I was going to make fun of you, but after the "Edit" I noticed your name and now I'm kinda inclined to say you were being ironic...

EDIT: and then I noticed the quote, and I feel embarrassed...

Vagabundo

RJT said:
I was going to make fun of you, but after the "Edit" I noticed your name and now I'm kinda inclined to say you were being ironic...

You're being too kind. I blame my groggy friday eyes...

Make fun of me. I deserve it.

hxa155

AniHawk said:
11. Just Cause 2 360
12. Uncharted 2 PS3
13. Scribblenauts NDS
14. Heavy Rain PS3
15. Red Steel 2 Wii
17. Mario Kart Wii Wii
18. Just Cause 2 PS3
19. Forsaken 64 N64
20. Pokemon Silver GBC

lol ok i believed you at first but then i saw numbers 19 and 20

CozMick

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
What makes something mindless fun? I find BC2 to be far more mentally stimulating than games like FFXIII, GoW3 and pretty much any other game that isn't an RTS, TBS or sim (real sims not GT5 or Forza 3).

My meaning of "mindless fun" is a game that doesn't require a lot of thinking, i.e a shooter. {most shooters, not all}

Point, shoot!

Where as FFXIII requires alot of thinking to achieve a goal.

Top Bottom