• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

soldat7

[Nintex] said:
But can't you feel the momentum in the air, the growth, the potential!

It's really too bad. Sony should have pushed a new marketing campaign with significant price cuts earlier. The software lineup is hawt: MGS Peace Walker, Persona 3, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts, Patapon 3, God Eater, Knights in the Nightmare, Y's, a new Monster Hunter...Lots of great software to look forward to. So sad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TruePrime said:
Yeah but those 60K are worthless to 3rd Parties if the games don't sell, you know that more then anyone.
Worthless? What product do you sell that sells 60k? Kids these days smh...

Beth Cyra

Y2Kev said:
Worthless? What product do you sell that sells 60k? Kids these days smh...
Hey I missed the joke man, haven't been apart of Gaf or I was just stupid and forgot it. Knowing me I would actually wager it is the stupid one.

Which I go and prove in the same sentence I wrote. Perfect.

DR2K

Banned
Chozo said:
IMO because the PSP has pretty much hit the point of no return where nothing they do will really change the PSP's fortunes in the west, so they might as well pump it for all it's worth.

There's strong software support for it, so there's potential. That thing has dropped price in 2 years.

Chozo

truly101 said:
The console market and handheld market are not exactly analogous.

I think it's less of an issue of market than current position: Nintendo has always been pretty fiscally well off (even in the dark days of the Gamecube), while Sony's game division has been bleeding money for years. I'm sure there is/was a pretty lengthy debate at Sony about how much it was really worth to fight the 3DS with a PSP2.

There's strong software support for it, so there's potential. That thing has dropped price in 2 years.

It's more than that though. As other people have pointed out, the PSP's retail presence is pretty much nonexistent in most stores (DS gets a full row of shelves at my local Best Buy, PSP gets a small rack by the PS2 games and half the space is for UMD movies no one buys), and it's not as if PSP hasn't gotten quality, big name games before.

Metal Gear Solid? Sure, it'll likely help. Valkyria Chronicles and Parasite Eve?...eh, wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TruePrime said:
Hey I missed the joke man, haven't been apart of Gaf or I was just stupid and forgot it. Knowing me I would actually wager it is the last the stupid one.
Yeah it's last month :lol sorry, I just was sad it didn't end up in meme heaven, it's such a great....well I think that guy was serious.

Empty

BigNastyCurve said:
Could you please use a car analogy instead?

it's like turning up to a road race against [INSERT GREAT RACING DRIVER HERE] driving a [INSERT FAST CAR HERE] by bringing an almost broken, very slow [INSERT OLD CAR HERE].

jvm

Gamasutra.
Four of the top 10 best-selling games of May play on Nintendo systems. These include Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 at No. 3 with more than 563,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 6 with more than 183,000 sold, Wii Fit Plus with the Wii Balance Board at No. 7 with more than 161,000 sold and Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version at No. 8 with more than 141,000 sold.
From Nintendo:
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=24327

Have to think about where this puts Alan Wake...

Ah, I see. The difference is special editions of Alan Wake? So without special editions, Alan Wake is less than 141K and with special editions it is more than 141K...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
chespace said:
I find it curious that they are investing marketing dollars to energize their core with Kevin Butler but not coming up with marketing strategies that specifically reach out to the unconverted. I dunno, maybe that's what Marcus is supposed to do.

I think Sony has figured out who to market the PS3 to and what the PS3 is, as opposed to what they wanted it to be or insisted it was. Thats why I think the PS3 has hit true viability and is now a money maker. The PSP is still at the cross roads between DS competitor or Iphone/ wireless gadget competitor. It doesn't have a real identity with either market or casual or hardcore gamers.

Parham

Banned
jvm said:
From Nintendo:
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=24327

So that puts Alan Wake at between 161K and 141K.
There must be a mistake. NPD ranks Wii Fit Plus higher than New Super Mario Bros.

Edit:
AniHawk said:
NPD bundles the software only and bundled versions.
Empty said:
NPD presumably includes the two versions of the game in their number; the SKU with the balance board and the one without, whereas Nintendo doesn't.

Okay, now that makes sense.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
truly101 said:
I think Sony has figured out who to market the PS3 to and what the PS3 is, as opposed to what they wanted it to be or insisted it was. Thats why I think the PS3 has hit true viability and is now a money maker. The PSP is still at the cross roads between DS competitor or Iphone/ wireless gadget competitor. It doesn't have a real identity with either market or casual or hardcore gamers.

Yeah, but why market the potential of the console to your core who undoubtedly already own your console and is simply hungry for more ammo to sink the competition on forums and youtube?

It seems to be a strategy derived from console war tactics.

Empty

azentium said:
There must be a mistake. NPD ranks Wii Fit Plus as selling more than New Super Mario Bros.

NPD presumably includes the two versions of the game in their number; the SKU with the balance board and the one without, whereas Nintendo doesn't.

jvm

Gamasutra.
azentium said:
There must be a mistake. NPD ranks Wii Fit Plus as selling more than New Super Mario Bros.
Yeah, I got tripped up. Nintendo does single SKU rankings, so their list is different from NPDs.

NPD list: all versions combined
Nintendo list: versions split up

So the number Nintendo cited is for Wii Fit Plus with Board. That excludes Wii Fit Plus SOFTWARE ONLY. :p

soldat7

Culex said:
Terrible numbers for PSP. Hard to believe things are polar opposite in Japan.

I'm betting less than 50k for June.

MGS: Peace Walker + bundles. I doubt PSP will put up worse numbers for June.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Chozo said:
I think it's less of an issue of market than current position: Nintendo has always been pretty fiscally well off, while Sony's game division has been bleeding money for years. I'm sure there is/was a pretty lengthy debate at Sony about how much it was really worth to fight the 3DS with a PSP2.

Nintendo is fiscally well off because its dominated the handheld market, and the handheld market has historically not been healthy for more than one competitor. There wasn't a game gear II, a Lynx II, a WonderSwan II ( though I guess the color version counts maybe) The various Apple and Smart phone like gadgets have muddied that water even more making it harder for Sony to market the PSP as a portable media device. The console market has supported two or more competitors since the NES days, there is more room for multi console ownership I suppose

A new PSP is not necessarily a bad idea but they are going to have to be incredibly smart on what it offers, the price point and who to sell it to.

Beth Cyra

soldat7 said:
MGS: Peace Walker + bundles. I doubt PSP will put up worse numbers for June.

I think anyone expecting good numbers for Peace Walker is going to be disappointed, that said it should have a small impact and will hopefully not fall even lower.

Rainier

DMeisterJ said:
PS3 sales were poor this month?
Sometimes I don't get you. You're one of the better (IMO) poster here, but you have this blind spot in the NPD threads. What do you think Sony has to do to keep from continually losing ground to its competitors each month?

truly101 said:
Nintendo is fiscally well off because its dominated the handheld market, and the handheld market has historically not been healthy for more than one competitor. There wasn't a game gear II, a Lynx II, a WonderSwan II ( though I guess the color version counts maybe) The various Apple and Smart phone like gadgets have muddied that water even more making it harder for Sony to market the PSP as a portable media device. The console market has supported two or more competitors since the NES days, there is more room for multi console ownership I suppose.
I think it has more to do with Nintendo not having to sell their hardware at a loss.

Rainier said:
Sometimes I don't get you. You're one of the better (IMO) poster here, but you have this blind spot in the NPD threads. What do you think Sony has to do to keep from continually losing ground to its competitors each month?

I think it has more to do with Nintendo not having to sell their hardware at a loss.

3D MAN!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rainier said:
There isn't any thing that they can do in order to no continually keep losing ground fr their competitors... IMO

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
chespace said:
Yeah, but why market the potential of the console to your core who undoubtedly already own your console and is simply hungry for more ammo to sink the competition on forums and youtube?

It seems to be a strategy derived from console war tactics.

Thats easy. You get the core excited about the product, they tell their friends. Now that image is more readily available due to the agressive marketing campaign. They're also not giving up on the 360 crowd that hey, a PS3 is still a cool second console. If the product has a positive atmosphere that resonates with the target audience, regardless of the overlap of their core consumers, those people are more likely to buy it. Its sort of like the "Play it Loud" campaign for the SNES. They were really just reminding gamers who were already familiar with Nintendo, that the SNES could be cool like the Genesis. Lets pull out a spine in MKII while listening to the Butthole Surfers.

Boney said:
Does it even qualify as living dead? It's not really moving is it?

Well, it is still technically getting quality games, it's just... who are they selling too?
So, it's not technically dead. It's not technically alive. Basically, it just is.

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
Well, it is still technically getting quality games, it's just... who are they selling too?
So, it's not technically dead. It's not technically alive. Basically, it just is.

Oh, so it's a Gamecube.

Baki

chespace said:
You've been on NeoGAF for a while, right?

Poor = Dead Last.

That's all.

idehp5.gif

Also :lol @ PSP and SCEA wasting marketing money on it. Should have saved that money for the PSP 2.

Beth Cyra

AniHawk said:
Oh, so it's a Gamecube.

No way Cube didn't have no third party support which is what is keeping the PSP alive. I would say it is the Dreamcast, it did well and has great games but got crushed anyway.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Boney said:
Does it even qualify as living dead? It's not really moving is it?
Ever heard how nails & hairs grow after death? It's kinda like that with the PSP in NA.

The real headline behind this NPD is the PSP IMO.

The system is literally fucking dead, D-E-A-D in North America. From what I've heard it's doing similar in Europe, and is holding it's own in Japan, a country with highly mediocre software sales to the point that the U.K. alone surpasses it. The system needs a Nintendogs type killer game or it's buried.

Now since SONY couldn't somehow create a gaming system that would have been profitable right off the bat and make up the R & D early throughout its lifecycle (like a certain other company does) they completely screwed themselves in the handheld space.

There are always two core goals when launching a gaming platform:

1) To achieve profit or progress toward reaching a long term goal of profiting.

2) To finish the generation well to make a smooth transition to the next platform.

SONY did great at #1, but did horrible at #2. I've never seen anything quite like this in the gaming space. The portable gaming market is about to blow up and it seems that SONY just threw their easy shot away. I know that the company is having problems now, but certainly they could have still at least managed to create a profitable product at launch that could have generated a steady stream of revenue. Hell I could even argue that it's more important for SONY to create a successor to the PSP then it is for them to do so for the PS3. Either there's something chaotic going up in SONYland that we don't know about or they are drinking some hardcore SEGA Kool-Aid.

EDIT - Also damn are software sales low. Iwata was really onto something when he was commenting on the industry.

soldat7

reKon said:
there's a demo and the final game is way better than the demo. just saying..

People tend to think that if the demo sucks, the full game will suck as well. Sadly, this is not always true.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chespace said:
You've been on NeoGAF for a while, right?

Poor = Dead Last.

That's all.
40k behind the trey sixty when the numbers are estimates anyway isn't that big of a deal. I would imagine that online and Euro sales still skew towards the PS triple.

The PSP is a goner though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Rainier said:

Thats a factor, but Nintendo made more profit on their handhelds than they ever did on the cost to resale ratio on the hardware. I'm betting the margin for the GC and N64 may have been pretty slim but they made money hand over fist on Game Boys, GBCs, GBAs, you name it.

Chozo

truly101 said:
Nintendo is fiscally well off because its dominated the handheld market, and the handheld market has historically not been healthy for more than one competitor. There wasn't a game gear II, a Lynx II, a WonderSwan II ( though I guess the color version counts maybe) The various Apple and Smart phone like gadgets have muddied that water even more making it harder for Sony to market the PSP as a portable media device. The console market has supported two or more competitors since the NES days, there is more room for multi console ownership I suppose

I think my biggest counter to your argument is that if the average gamer can own multiple consoles (which are often more expensive than handhelds and have games more expensive than handhelds), what's the barrier for multiple handheld ownership? I think Nintendo's dominance in handhelds has more to do with having a clear vision ("our handheld is a game device, not a wonderbox with tech a few years away from reasonable portability") and killer killer apps (Pokemon) rather than being inherently a one-horse market. Sheer inertia also helps, although that didn't seem to be the case in the early PSP/DS battle.

If Sony was better off as a whole, I think they'd be willing to throw down for round 2 (60 million worldwide is nothing to scoff at, even in a "tallest midget" sense). I think their current financial straits and the fact that things went pear-shaped for them this gen has made them really gun-shy, though.

A new PSP is not necessarily a bad idea but they are going to have to be incredibly smart on what it offers, the price point and who to sell it to.

I agree, the PSP has too much of a "well, what does it do well?" problem.

Top Bottom