• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

JaxJag said:
So the arcade racer genre is officially dead?

It's this generation's fighting genre?

Kart Racers aren't.
Just the arcade racers that try to be "mature" like S/S and Blur.
People don't want that, they want awesome karts, man.

Beth Cyra

JaxJag said:

Not really, Mario Kart Wii is one of the best sellign games of the Generation and Burnout Paradise has done well by all accounts as well.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Haha it was more that I am a crazy MGS fan and hate The Boss and anything that links to her and feel when she was injected it hurt the franchise.

That said how much is focused on that dumb bitch? If it is actually a very small amount I might check it out anyway?
Well in terms of story nothing really happens.. that's my biggest issue with the game actually :lol

But you're out of luck, the little thing that does happen is pure Boss, which was absolutely unnecesary after the MGS3 ending. It feels like over exposure.

JaxJag

Banned
AceBandage said:
Kart Racers aren't.
Just the arcade racers that try to be "mature" like S/S and Blur.
People don't want that, they want awesome karts, man.
I don't.

I think Blur is better than Mario Kart.

In pretty much every way.

JaxJag said:

Depends...seeing two released in the same month at a questionable time to release while going up against a whole ton of highly-anticipated titles in a recession wasn't the smartest thing to do. Besides, Mario Kart on the Wii is still kicking the shit with, what, twenty million plus sales this gen?

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Well in terms of story nothing really happens.. that's my biggest issue with the game actually :lol

But you're out of luck, the little thing that does happen is pure Boss, which was absolutely unnecesary after the MGS· ending. It feels like over exposure.

Definitly skipping this one then, thanks for the info though. I swear I would kill for another AC!D game though.

Rhindle

Racing games only sell well early in a console's life cycle, with few exceptions. You would think publishers would understanding that by now, but apparently not.

GT5 will sell kinda sorta OK, due to it being the first iteration of the franchise, but even those sales will be disappointing.

As far as PSP, well Sony could have salvaged the plaform with a 3D screen update, but they've officially missed that boat. They just need to pack it in at this point.

I think there is a market for a high-spec gaming phone, but I don't know that Sony is capable of delivering such a thing.

Curufinwe

AceBandage said:

"Split/Second came out a week earlier, and sold around the same as Mod Nation on two platforms, so that's pretty sad," he added.

Pachter also noted that low review scores of these titles have likely caused racing fans to hold off until this fall when two big-times from EA and Sony are expected to hit.

"None of these games were rated higher than 80, so I think people are waiting for Gran Turismo 5 and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit this fall.

Split/Second actually has an average score of 82 on the 360 and 84 on the PS3 while Blur's average score is 82 on both platforms, so he's wrong, and I really don't think review scores are the reason for the poor sales of either of these racing games.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Definitly skipping this one then, thanks for the info though. I swear I would kill for another AC!D game though.
Not to dereail the thread more, but did you try the demo? It completely sold me on the game.

ElFly

But that article doesn't answer the real questions.

-Did Mario Kart Wii outsell any S/S, Blur or Modnation?

-Did Mario Kart Wii see a small bump due to the Blur ad?

V_Ben

Banned
They should have spaced out those 3 games, in stead of releasing them all so close together. It effectively killed the chances of either one of those games doing well at retail. Publishers need to learn to space out releases in the same genre. It'll help everybody :lol

Curufinwe

Rhindle said:
Racing games only sell well early in a console's life cycle, with few exceptions. You would think publishers would understanding that by now, but apparently not.

GT5 will sell kinda sorta OK, due to it being the first iteration of the franchise, but even those sales will be disappointing.

I totally disagree. GT5 will sell much better in 2010 than it would have earlier in the PS3's life simply because there will be far more PS3's in people's homes in November 2010 than there were in previous holiday seasons.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
It really is amazing.
I mean, Sony had some decent PS2 commercials (particularly the launch ones).
But then it's like all their marketing people went batshit insane and gave us evil crying babies.
And the PSP commercials NEVER were good. Not a single one.
I mean, they took a huge step forward with KB, but they're already running him thin, and Marcus is a joke.
They did have the Lynch PS2 comercials, which I thought were awesome as well, PlayStation was such a strong brand, those commercials can work as well.

What I find realy wierd is that they're constantly trolling the DS for being a kiddie system and these ads are aimed at 12 year olds. It boggles my mind.

ElFly said:
But that article doesn't answer the real questions.

-Did Mario Kart Wii outsell any S/S, Blur or Modnation?

-Did Mario Kart Wii see a small bump due to the Blur ad?

Likely, it did outsell them (maybe even combined). It was 18th last month in the top 20, so it's probably still around there this month.

Boney said:
They did have the Lynch PS2 comercials, which I thought were awesome as well, PlayStation was such a strong brand, those commercials can work as well.

What I find realy wierd is that they're constantly trolling the DS for being a kiddie system and these ads are aimed at 12 year olds. It boggles my mind.

I sometimes question is the people at Sony even know what they're doing anymore...

Rainier

Rhindle said:
Huh, I never thought about this. Do you think that's only because they're often launch titles that people pick up because there isn't alot else out there yet? In other words, it's a genre that's not as popular as most people think?

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
holy shit :lol

S/S is Blackrock's second bomb. That studio probably won't get to make another racing game.

Bizarre...uh oh :(

I fear for both Black Rock + Bizarre. Both their games were great, but i doubt that the publisher sees critical success as a good thing. What could Black Rock do, if not racing?

At least Bizarre has a sure fire sales hit when their bond game surfaces. Everybody loves a good spy game. And that license guarantees some good sales.

Draft

Blur and Split/Second both bombed because they're 30fps racers. Those are crimes against gaming, and I am glad to see both developers sacrificed so that others may learn from their mistakes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Technosteve said:
Dear Alan Wake if you bombed world wide it's ok, i know you were meant for big tv comfy couches but like a good battered wife I will welcome you back to PC. Where we will be subjected to your out landish system requirements and DRM, it's ok we are used to it.
The irony in all of this is that AW probably would have sold just as much (maybe more) on PC if released at the same time.

I've said it before, but I reiterate it now:

Unless Sony has given devkits to developers at the beginning of the year or before, they have lost the handheld market.

I don't want them to give up, as a gamer. That competition usually tends to bring out the best in everyone involved. But damn, if I were Kaz Hirai and someone sent me the NPD sales, I would really think hard about exiting the market.

Rainier

Curufinwe said:
I totally disagree. GT5 will sell much better in 2010 than it would have earlier in the PS3's life simply because there will be far more PS3's in people's homes in November 2010 than there were in previous holiday seasons.
It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, it has NO hope of ever coming close to what GT4 sold, considering the massive PS2 userbase.

V_Ben

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I've said it before, but I reiterate it now:

Unless Sony has given devkits to developers at the beginning of the year or before, they have lost the handheld market.

I don't want them to give up, as a gamer. That competition usually tends to bring out the best in everyone involved. But damn, if I were Kaz Hirai and someone sent me the NPD sales, I would really think hard about exiting the market.

Wasn't the rumour that developers have had PSP2 dev kits for a while now? I can't remember where i read it (probably gaf :lol ), but i doubt that they're going to sit on their laurels now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
V_Ben said:
I fear for both Black Rock + Bizarre. Both their games were great, but i doubt that the publisher sees critical success as a good thing. What could Black Rock do, if not racing?

At least Bizarre has a sure fire sales hit when their bond game surfaces. Everybody loves a good spy game. And that license guarantees some good sales.
People said that about Quantum of Solace...

I basically think there are TOO MANY games and not enough money to go around. Seems like publishers need to pull back...

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Not to dereail the thread more, but did you try the demo? It completely sold me on the game.

Nope I never did, like I said I just kinda wrote it off, the gameplay in Portable Ops is so bad it was painful and I hate The Boss so much I guessed there was no way I would enjoy this game.

V_Ben said:
Wasn't the rumour that developers have had PSP2 dev kits for a while now? I can't remember where i read it (probably gaf :lol ), but i doubt that they're going to sit on their laurels now.

There are rumors that the PSP2 exists...
But, we have also seen devs already going full out on the 3DS...
So, what's left?
I mean, we're talking about a LOT of moneyhats, if Sony wants to be competitive.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Nope I never did, like I said I just kinda wrote it off, the gameplay in Portable Ops is so bad it was painful and I hate The Boss so much I guessed there was no way I would enjoy this game.
Again, Portable Ops = bad

Peace Walker = Oh my!!

Shooter controls work great, no stupid dragging soldiers, and lots and lots of missions, weapons and stuff.

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:

I basically think there are TOO MANY games and not enough money to go around. Seems like publishers need to pull back...

Did QoS not do well? I thought it did alright.

Yeah, publishers need to realize that flooding the market with so many games isn't expanding the market, it's actually contributing to the deaths of studios whose projects are left to die at retail, due to a flood of games in similar genres. I quite simply could only buy one racing game out of the 3, so i chose ModNation. Publishers need to recognize that all these games are limiting the amount of money they're making. Less games, but better games should be the way forward.

Y2Kev said:

This is it precisely. There's clearly only room for maybe four or five big marquee games a month (and maybe even less).

Beth Cyra

Trurl said:
Anyone who doesn't like the Marcus campaign is a racist. There, I said it.

Joke?

If not, well I don't know what to so say other then I would have wanted to kick the fucker in the face no matter what his skin color when I heard the shit that came out of his mouth, it was retarded and it made me feel like a douche for supporting the PSP.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
There are rumors that the PSP2 exists...
But, we have also seen devs already going full out on the 3DS...
So, what's left?
I mean, we're talking about a LOT of moneyhats, if Sony wants to be competitive.
This a touchy subject actually.

They are bringing great franchises, aimed at very different people. But there's a lot of ports going on. It's like they really don't want any risks involved. It struck me after the THQ interview.

Rainier

V_Ben said:
Did QoS not do well? I thought it did alright.

Yeah, publishers need to realize that flooding the market with so many games isn't expanding the market, it's actually contributing to the deaths of studios whose projects are left to die at retail, due to a flood of games in similar genres. I quite simply could only buy one racing game out of the 3, so i chose ModNation. Publishers need to recognize that all these games are limiting the amount of money they're making. Less games, but better games should be the way forward.
Wouldn't that still result in the deaths of a few studios, or at least them laying off a lot of people if they're only working on one or two games instead of three or four?

Curufinwe

Rainier said:
It doesn't work that way. If that was the case, it has NO hope of ever coming close to what GT4 sold, considering the massive PS2 userbase.

It doesn't work what way? You're actually arguing that a flagship, AAA racing game released 4 years after a console's launch is going to sell less copies than if it was launched 2 years after the console's launch when there were millions less of those consoles in people's homes? That's pure fantasy. The PS3 market is not in decline yet.

V_Ben

Banned
Rainier said:
Woulldn't that still result in the deaths of a few studios, or at least them laying of a lot of people if they're only working on one or two games instead of three or four?

Bioshock 2 was the product of many studios, with one separate team doing the multiplayer. I could totally see separate studios doing separate parts of games.

Boney said:
This a touchy subject actually.

They are bringing great franchises, aimed at very different people. But there's a lot of ports going on. It's like they really don't want any risks involved. It struck me after the THQ interview.

Well, they've only had a few months with the 3DS kits, so they are trying to get on board with big names, even if some of them are ports (though, RE and maybe even MGS aren't ports).

Vorg

Banned
Draft said:
Blur and Split/Second both bombed because they're 30fps racers. Those are crimes against gaming, and I am glad to see both developers sacrificed so that others may learn from their mistakes.

The PGR games are 30 fps and they rock. NFS Shift and GRID too. Maybe the games just aren't good enough? I've only tried the demo for Split Second, and while I liked it, the lack of takedowns and boost were pretty noticeable. It always felt a bit weird, like I was playing a slower, slightly different burnout.

Haint

Even though it's probably just the summer slumps, I wish the hardware manufacturers would take these apparently slowing numbers as a sign to fast track the next gen for 2011. It's getting 'bout time at this point.

Hawk269

VALIS said:
Pre-slim, pre-price drop 360 outselling the PS3 by ~25%. This forum is going to fucking freak the rest of this year when it's outselling the PS3 1.5:1

I know this is Gaf and I know what is going to be said about what I am about to post, but here it goes anyways....

I work for a major retailer and the Xbox360s has outsold the PS3 on average 4 to 1. This is considering freight restraints and limited amount of the new units. This is for the last 2 weeks or when the 360s released. In one of the biggest markets/regions, the 360s outsold the PS3 in the same market 5 to 1, again this is with ample supply of Ps3 and a lack of supply of the new 360s. Further more, this 4 to 1 outselling DOES NOT incllude the old 360's, just the new S model. Add in the old systems and it is more like 7 to 1 ratio.

Anyways, I am sure the typical gaf'rs will reply with sarcasm and other typical Gaf type stuff, but I have no reason to make that stuff up and when the June NPD numbers comes out you will see that the 360s is really moving...I am not saying it will be 4 to 1 across the industry, but I would not be shocked if where I work is typical for most places.

Reallink said:
Even though it's probably just the summer slumps, I wish the hardware manufacturers would take these apparently slowing numbers as a sign to fast track the next gen for 2011. It's getting 'bout time at this point.

Eh, not really.
4 years isn't really long enough at all.
Especially since a lot of games take 2 years to develop.

Trurl

Banned
TruePrime said:
Yeah, I was joking.

Do people not like the idea of having a kid be a spokesperson in general? For me the commercials seem to be about as good as the Kevin Butler ones, and since he's a kid it's kind of like he's the Lil' Playstation.

Then again, I've defended Justin Bieber so I might just be crazy.

DMczaf said:
UFC 2009 First month
4. UFC Undisputed (360) – 679.6K
5. UFC Undisputed (PS3) – 334.4K

UFC 2010 First month
4. UFC 2010 Undisputed (360) – 221.1K
5. UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) – 192.3K

goddam
THQ Online Pass???

Top Bottom