• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

cotd51.png

here's an idea of sales within the first 87-97 days for each console being available.

The Wii was and the Switch is supply constrained so these numbers are worthless ;).

To me P5 looks like FE Awakening: did amazingly well for a niche franchise, but pretty much exhausted its potential market. Given Atlus' financial result last year, I think they do need another huge leap in sales for their flagship title. Especially when they don't have 3DS for their low budget cash grabbers now (no offense to the games, just talking about production value).
I thought Fates sold better in the West than Awakening?
And I don't think their financial result from last year is any indication that they need another huge leap in sales from Persona, least of all in the West. Their financial result from last year doesn't include any Western P5 sales at all, but did include the opening up of Studio Zero (for Re:Fantasy). So while a loss looks bad--and very well could be I guess--I'd argue that we don't really know enough to say one way or another. It depends on what they forecasted; if they knew they'd take a loss because of Studio Zero and did it anyway, then we can stow the alarm bells.

I will acknowledge that I think Atlus' backwards policies could start to burn them (and quickly), but I think that's kinda beside the point we're discussing right now.

Seems like every NPD thread we have to tell people that GTAV is the it game to get with PS4\XB1 for new owners .
Game is such a monster don't think GTAVI going get any where close to it when it does come out .

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Branduil said:
sold out continuously for its first few months and ended up being a failure?
PS3? :p I mean ok failure is a strong word - but in US it sold what - 1/3rd of its predecessor sales?

panda-zebra

With Farpoint charting is no surprise that Impulse Gear is already hiring for another PSVR project, Sony must be pleased with their output

Yeah, and the info they offered in it was interesting "Impulse Gear just released Farpoint, the highest selling VR title to date."

And there's only one man who can stop him.

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

Knack will get us through these trying times.

Well we'll never know until Nintendo starts to ship more but I'm curious what big guns beside Smash and Pokemon do they have after Odyssey?

I guess Animal Crossing but that's more affecting Japanese sales.

Animal Crossing (this will be huge globally, not just Japan)
2D Mario
Pokemon
Smash Bros
Zelda (Aonuma has more than one team....maybe a 2D entry?)
Super Mario Maker (this sub-series is going to explode in popularity on Switch)

Tons of mid-tier IP such as Kirby, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, etc, plus whatever Retro's working on

Nintendo's biggest gun, however, is the fact that all of their major IP are evergreen.

cotd51.png

here's an idea of sales within the first 87-97 days for each console being available.

Chart is completely worthless (particularly in the context of this discussion), for a couple reasons.

- Wii and Switch are/were unable to fulfill demand. Wii U systems were readily available the same week the console launched.
- That Switch number only accounts for March. The chart is wrong, as it only accounts for 28 days on the market.

This completely bogus chart does not help your case, like, at all. To be fair to Business Insider, they're only working with the numbers officially provided by Nintendo (through the end of March). But it's still inaccurate.

When they say "87 days on aggregate", does that mean 29 days in US, 29 days in Europe, and 29 days in Japan?

(As opposed to just 87 days...)

Ohhhhhhhh, I missed that. If that's true, the chart isn't as bogus as I thought. I mean, it still tells us nothing regarding demand, but the chart itself seems fine (assuming this is aggregating the launch Month from all three territories).

Fularu

Banned
Is this telling us that people are buying less software for Switch than for previous consoles? Is this because of the lack of games?
No it's because no numbers past release month were released by Nintendo.

The software numbers don't even include Mario Kart

snacknuts

we all knew her
The One and Done™;241289865 said:
So is GTAV really that worth it? I've never played.

That depends entirely on what you like, but I would say absolutely. I've put well over 1,000 hours into it.

Fiendcode

Is this telling us that people are buying less software for Switch than for previous consoles? Is this because of the lack of games?
It's Black Friday and Christmas versus... March? Also no digital only titles and Switch launched with less games than Wii or Wii U. The average Switch game sold more in fact.

StereoVsn

I thought Fates sold better in the West than Awakening?
And I don't think their financial result from last year is any indication that they need another huge leap in sales from Persona, least of all in the West. Their financial result from last year doesn't include any Western P5 sales at all, but did include the opening up of Studio Zero (for Re:Fantasy). So while a loss looks bad--and very well could be I guess--I'd argue that we don't really know enough to say one way or another. It depends on what they forecasted; if they knew they'd take a loss because of Studio Zero and did it anyway, then we can stow the alarm bells.

I will acknowledge that I think Atlus' backwards policies could start to burn them (and quickly), but I think that's kinda beside the point we're discussing right now.
I would think though that Atlus' backward policies in regards to late Western localization, marketing and lack of support for PC got to be affecting them.

Think of how much back catalog they have that could sell fairly well on PC or converted to latest console platforms and yet we got nothing. The clamoring for best version of P3 and no action, no SMT console titles (might be changing, we shall see next year), spinoff getting fan base tired of their IPs, etc...

Atlus is still stuck in the 90's as far as their mindset is concerned and I have a feeling Sega is not going to take that for long.

Yopis

Why is a 3-4 years old game (GTA5) still in the top 3?
Is there some special edition that released in May or something?

Great game and online keeps going. Some just race everyday others do missions. Along with sports and fighting games GTA is totally missed here.

thats not sold through tho, its sold in

If it's sold out virtually worldwide (besides Australia and sometimes Germany I guess?) sold in ~= sold through.

EDIT: So with this NPD and the MC charts we can probably assume the Switch was at least a bit over 4 million shipped WW as of the start of June, considering it was likely over 3.5 million as of the start of May.

They really need to figure out a way around the NAND flash shortage.

CEJames

It's literally the first hit on google

It is the shipped number as of March 31. Sold through was probably a bit below.

Ok, so along with that chart tidbit, this NPD, and even if it's supply constrained, would you not agree that this is still in similar waters to the Wii U?

Especially when you also compare it to this tidbit of info?

During its first week of release in the United States, Nintendo sold its entire allotment of over 400,000 units[168] and sold a total of 425,000 units for the month of November, according to the NPD Group.[169] It also sold over 40,000 consoles in the UK in its first weekend.[170] In Japan, over 600,000 Wii U units were sold during December 2012.[171] Nearly 890,000 Wii U units were sold in the United States after 41 days on the market.[172] From the Wii U's launch till December 31, 2012, Nintendo reported that 3.06 million consoles and 11.69 million software units had been shipped worldwide.[154]

So from November 18th to December 31st( roughly a month as well), it was also similar numbers before the big drop off in January.

Edit: This tidbit of info is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Fularu

Banned
Ok, so along with that chart tidbit, this NPD, and even if it's supply constrained, would you not agree that this is still in similar waters to the Wii U?

So from November 18th to Decemeber 31st( roughly a month as well), it was also similar numbers before the big drop off in January?
The WiiU was never sold out past the first week.

Also by this point the Switch is past 4 million units shipped (the lower ceiling should be at about 4.3 million units shipped, with very close sold through numbers)

thats not sold through tho, its sold in

For Switch, it's virtually the same.

But you do bring up a good point, similar to what I addressed earlier. Many of those Wii U consoles languished on shelves for months. The far more interesting figure is Nintendo was only able to ship 160k units globally from April-June, 2013. And this wasn't due to supply constraints.

I have a feeling Switch will do a tad bit better than that in the same timeframe.

Vinnk

cotd51.png

So this chart confirms that the Switch will sell nearly as much as the Wii? I mean what are we supposed to be extrapolating here?

Or are you trying to say that since the Switch was only available for 87 days rather than 97 that it in fact sold more that the Wii which was one of the highest selling consoles in history.

I don't see how ANYTHING in this chart points away from the Switch being a success. I mean it DOES show that Wii U sold a lot out of the gate with zero supply constraints but tells us nothing beyond that.

So this chart confirms that the Switch will sell nearly as much as the Wii? I mean what are we supposed to be extrapolating here?

The chart is flat out wrong, just ignore it. It's using the Switch's first 29 days of numbers and calling it 87 days to try and compare it to longer periods of the Wii and Wii U. The numbers used for the Switch in that chart are official Nintendo numbers only from March.

EDIT: Oh, maybe not wrong, just highly misleading. What are "aggregate days" supposed to actually show?

Branduil

Persona 5 would likely do very well on PC, but Atlus can't have that considering how easy that would make it to take screenshots. What's more important, half a million more sales, or forcing people to take shitty camera cellphone pictures since your dumb backwards policy can never account for the analog hole?

Shiggy

When they say "87 days on aggregate", does that mean 29 days in US, 29 days in Europe, and 29 days in Japan?

(As opposed to just 87 days...)

Yes, that's why it says "aggregated".

The chart is flat out wrong, just ignore it. It's using the Switch's first 29 days of numbers and calling it 87 days to try and compare it to longer periods of the Wii and Wii U. The numbers used for the Switch in that chart are official Nintendo numbers only from March.

It's doing the same for Wii and Wii U. Why is it flat out wrong? It's comparing a similar timeframe for all three systems.

legend166

So from November 18th to December 31st( roughly a month as well), it was also similar numbers before the big drop off in January.

Edit: This tidbit of info is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

In its third month on the market in the US, the Wii U sold 57k units. At this point in the life of the Wii U, it was having negative shipments in Europe as retailers sent back stock to Nintendo's warehouses.

The Switch is not in any way comparable to the Wii U.

Branduil

Yes, that's why it says "aggregated".

It's doing the same for Wii and Wii U. Why is it flat out wrong? It's comparing a similar timeframe for all three systems.

November and March aren't really similar timeframes. Anyway it's pointless since we now have data from after March and unlike the Wii U the system continues to be impossible to find.

Yeah I missed the discussion of "on aggregate" my bad. I've edited my post.

Still a strange way to compare them, and it's misleading in that it seems to be leading people to believe those sales numbers are current for today, not just March.

But the chart remains pointless because both the Wii and Switch were/are heavily supply constrained.

No and if you actually believe this, you don't understand how poorly Wii U performed.

Switch's current issues are very different from Wii U. Nintendo flooded the market with that console and no one wanted it after a month.

panda-zebra

It's virtually the same for a sold out item

Effectively I think so too, only potential discrepancy being the point at which accounting takes place e.g. from leaving factory leaving a lead time between that and shipping/warehousing/distribution/hitting store shelves. Is it known at what point shipped figures are accounted for?

Shiggy

November and March aren't really similar timeframes. Anyway it's pointless since we now have data from after March and unlike the Wii U the system continues to be impossible to find.

To compare the first month (plus a few days) of all systems, I cannot see anything wrong with the chart. Obviously, Wii and Switch were supply-constrained. But that does not change the fact that the chart compares very similar time periods (around a month for all three systems).

Yeah I missed the discussion of "on aggregate" my bad. I've edited my post.

Still a strange way to compare them, and it's misleading in that it seems to be leading people to believe those sales numbers are current for today, not just March.

But the chart remains pointless because both the Wii and Switch were/are heavily supply constrained.

Was the chart posted today?
Edit: No, May 1: http://www.businessinsider.de/nintendo-switch-vs-wii-wii-u-sales-chart-2017-5?r=US&IR=T

Lol we have gotten to the point where people think the Switch isn't popular.

Oh boy I can't wait till this Holiday when it turns into a bloodbath.

Top Bottom