• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

witness

Good grief Nintendo, way to completely drop the ball here in the US. I have literally never seen one in stores since launch. They have only themselves to blame for not capitalizing on this momentum.

Good grief Nintendo, way to completely drop the ball here in the US. I have literally never seen one in stores since launch. They have only themselves to blame for not capitalizing on this momentum.

Gotta check places like Target or Kmart. Places that people don't think of when they think electronics. Best Buy, GameStop, etc... will always be sold out.

So the whole of the PS4 top 10 is in the overall Top 20 for the month but only the Top 5 (potentially) Xbox games are in the top 20 overall (no Forza). And really only 2 Switch games are selling decent.

zelas

Nintendo is missing out on a ton of revenue right now. It's not just HW where they're losing money, it's SW sales. They're really handicapping games on the switch right now and I think that will have a a big impact on SW sales. Smaller games like ARMS will feel that moreso than the big ones like Zelda.

I guess the question is when can they sort this situation out? If they really can only get 10 million shipped in this fiscal year then that's a massive failure.
I've been thinking about this myself lately. Why would any third party publisher be in a rush to bring larger games to Switch when Nintendo has not only fucked up supply, but is playing games on top of that by stockpiling units for their big first party releases instead of increasing the install base as soon as they can?

Clearly the situation Nintendo created is troubling enough considering we are past the "wait for E3" phase and there has been no meaningful change in the Switch's third party outlook. People should really keep its actual install base in mind the next time a publisher mentions they're taking a wait and see approach.

KORNdoggy

i'm still of the belief that the switch isn't as popular as some people seem to think and it's currently coasting on launch hype. but fact is the longer nintendo keep people waiting, the sooner they lose interest. i mean, that new console smell ain't so sweet 6 months later when you can finally buy one lol.

i honestly didn't see PS4 taking the lead again until at least august though. i'm surprised it happened so quickly.

i'm still of the belief that the switch isn't as popular as some people seem to think and it's currently coasting on launch hype. but fact is the longer nintendo keep people waiting, the sooner they lose interest. i mean, that new console smell ain't so sweet 6 months later when you can finally buy one lol.

i honestly didn't see PS4 taking the lead again until at least august though. i'm surprised it happened so quickly.

Yeah, sure...

Aceofspades

Banned
So glad to hear that PS4/XB1 is doing better than PS3/360 by a solid 29%.

Thats awesome to hear. Add switch to that and we should have a very healthy generation, for hardware sales atleast.

Most of the percentage is carried out by PS4, not sure if Xbox one is still up compared to 360.

I don't think gamer's interest will fade like that, especially if good games continues to be launched. For obvious reasons, though, Nintendo needs to be ready for the holidays.

FelipeMGM

With Farpoint charting is no surprise that Impulse Gear is already hiring for another PSVR project, Sony must be pleased with their output

lol

Super Mario Odyssey is going to be the most talked about and wished for game this holiday. The excitement for Switch isn't dying down anytime soon.

And Nintendo has so many more big guns waiting in the wings. The system is going to end up a resounding success.

SpotAnime

Rofl, Persona 5 dropping off the chart is hilarious. We all knew it would happen because Atlus are such a goofy backwards company.

I personally think this has more to do with the 9 month delay and it getting released post-FFXV. I think those points took a lot of wind out of its sails and kept it largely with the hardcore, preorder crowd. It did not sell beyond its base.

KORNdoggy

lol

Super Mario Odyssey is going to be the most talked about and wished for game this holiday. The excitement for Switch isn't dying down anytime soon.

And Nintendo has so many more big guns waiting in the wings. The system is going to end up a resounding success.

an interesting theory. all i see is third party promises crumbling around their feet and a machine that hasn't really shown any evidence to support it ever even being a 20 million seller, let alone a 100+ million Wii level success like some people seem to think. i mean, it's current sales still only account for die hard nintendo fans. and until we breach at LEAST Wii-U numbers (13 million) i don't think anyone can say it's a success.

people seem pretty quick to forget that the Wii-U was no an abject failure when it came to it's early sales. there was no way someone looking at Wii-U first few month sales would have predicted it was going to settle at a poxy 13 million lifetime sales.

bitbydeath

Super Mario Odyssey is going to be the most talked about and wished for game this holiday.

And there's only one man who can stop him.

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

gtj1092

lol

Well we'll never know until Nintendo starts to ship more but I'm curious what big guns beside Smash and Pokemon do they have after Odyssey?

I guess Animal Crossing but that's more affecting Japanese sales.

NSESN

an interesting theory. all i see is third party promises crumbling around their feet and a machine that hasn't really shown any evidence to support it ever even being a 20 million seller
Now you are being ridiculous. It should be already at 4 million with all nad suply, Splatoon next month should easily move another million and Odyssey hype alone will make it fly of the shelves this holiday. It might not even beat 3DS. But it will definitelly outsell Wii U and GC.

Branduil

an interesting theory. all i see is third party promises crumbling around their feet and a machine that hasn't really shown any evidence to support it ever even being a 20 million seller, let alone a 100+ million Wii level success like some people seem to think. i mean, it's current sales still only account for die hard nintendo fans. and until we breach at LEAST Wii-U numbers (13 million) i don't think anyone can say it's a success.

LOL

Can anyone actually point to a real case where a new console sold out continuously for its first few months and ended up being a failure?

Bioshocker

HZD still the only single platform title in the YTD Top 10.

Impressive legs.

By outselling the 360 globally almost every month it was on sale.

The games helped obviously, but the gap was mainly the NA & UK markets.

The PS3 also got at big price drop.

KAOz

Short bus special
LOL

Can anyone actually point to a real case where a new console sold out continuously for its first few months and ended up being a failure?

Wii U sold out that much during launch.

Edit: I was wrong. Memory is a hell of a thing.

I personally think this has more to do with the 9 month delay and it getting released post-FFXV. I think those points took a lot of wind out of its sails and kept it largely with the hardcore, preorder crowd. It did not sell beyond its base.

Yeah, because they never tried to sell the game beyond their base. Reviewers and fans did the marketing for this game and it only went so far lmao, especially when Atlus themselves were hindering it.

With Farpoint charting is no surprise that Impulse Gear is already hiring for another PSVR project, Sony must be pleased with their output

I would believe so.
This Thursday evening a colleague will bring his PS4Pro + PSVR to work to demonstrate some games. Only played some short demo's so i'm excited to play (next to the spareribs).

NSESN

Wii U had negative shopments after launch in europe. Even with th suply problems the Switch is outselling it launch aligned. I would not be surprised if Switch already outsold its LTD in some countries.

jrDev

people seem pretty quick to forget that the Wii-U was no an abject failure when it came to it's early sales. there was no way someone looking at Wii-U first few month sales would have predicted it was going to settle at a poxy 13 million lifetime sales.

This is what talking out of your butt looks like...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why is a 3-4 years old game (GTA5) still in the top 3?
Is there some special edition that released in May or something?

KORNdoggy

I'm pretty sure it did. But then I can also be misremembering.

Trying to find sources for it and I'm not finding any specifics except various forum-posts.

My bad.

cotd51.png

here's an idea of sales within the first 87-97 days for each console being available.

lol

The best thing about it: so many people were so sure consoles were dying. Then when they were selling like hotcakes at the beginning of this gen, those people were saying it was simply demand for a new console. Now the PS4/XBO collectively are outselling their predecessors and the Switch is selling well, I've seen so few just admit they were wrong, wrong, wrong.

Top Bottom