• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Banned
Burai said:
Tin foil excuse?

So you honestly believe that all of those thousands upon thousands of pirates who were banned have just gone into hibernation and suddenly have no desire whatsoever to play Modern Warfare 2 online?

What will be your excuse if the 360 beats the PS3 in Dec?

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Ugh, Modern Warfare 2.

Also, most of you fucking suck at reading the thread and should be goddamn ashamed of yourselves. Jesus.

Kasumi1970 said:
The PS3 did have deals.

The PS3 had way, way better bundles too.

Mrbob said:
Oh and is the Activision peripheral based money grab dead?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.

dk_

Enough with the chitchat already. Now, ladies and gentleman, we'll have a legitimate discussion whether or not
2hqwcr8.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
operon said:
Looks like sonys pr is back to being the "playstation family":lol :lol

I doubt it. They don't need to hide behind a 'family' front, PS3 did fine, and they can boast huge growth over last year.

Also:
you go to trinity? :eek:

Burai

shitonmychest57
Godslay said:
That's not how it works. You are supposed to show us the credibility of the argument. Back up your assertion with evidence.

No, you have to pick the holes in the argument. Posting a GIF of Lindsey Lohan spitting Sprite everywhere is not a decent cross-examination and would certainly not hold up in a court of law in any civilised country, except maybe France.

AniHawk

cr_blah_blah said:
and it wasn't a million?
Uncharted 2 should be in the top 10, that's a shame.

Uncharted 2 is a sequel to a game that barely hit 600k LTD. It got just about as many sales as it could.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kusagari said:
What are #1 and 2 for both?

360: Halo 3, CoD4--should be around 6.25 million and around 5 million respectively.
PS3: GTA4, CoD4--the order here might be reversed since we have no leaks to know quite how the long tail numbers played out here, but both should be around 2-2.5 million.

(Yes, you did read that right; it's very likely that as of next month MW2 will be the #1 title in terms of lifetime sales for both platforms. After two months of release. Seriously.)

user_nat said:
On the 360 it has to be Halo 3 and MW1.

On the PS3, MW1 and WaW maybe? Or GTA4.

Very smart poster. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
NeoUltima said:
People still laughing at Pachter's "MW2 will sell 18 million by the end of 2010"?

Fuck it might have done 10 million world wide in November alone.

Evlar said:
and so the people laughing might help the discussion by explaining why it can't be taken seriously.

Because the people offering it are doing so disingenuously and also it's stupid. Better?

Tobor said:
They're not buying 3000's either.

PSP Go is so unpopular the 3000 is losing sales by association.

Mrbob

Bye bye Tony Hawk.

Speaking of going goodbye, what is up with the PSP? I think that is the real hardware story of nov npd. Under 300K for the month is beyond pathetic for the platform. The PSP might be selling decently in japan, but it is going on life support in the USA and from all accounts Europe. The PSP Go is a flop, and the original PSP3000 is overpriced for what people want to pay. Honestly the PSP should be 99 dollars by now with a successor in the near future. Will be interesting to see how Sony plays this one out. They really need to hit a home run with the PSP2 right away. Looking at hardware sales, the sooner the better.

stupei

Have people started quoting from the musings thread yet? I bet there is some amazing stuff there.

Weren't there people doubting NSMBW's ability to sell because they thought Wii owners would be confused into thinking it was a DS game they already own?

Zachack

schuelma said:
I know he said that, but just going from what Reggie was actually quoted as saying I don't think you can say that for sure.
If Reggis was actually boasting that NSMB would outsell a PS3 version of a multi-plat game then frankly he's about as sad as... everyone else on this board who boasts the Wii version of <Game X> outselling the PS3 version.

I mean, is outselling a PS3 game supposed to be an achievement? It's like boasting that you can beat up someone already in a coma. Sure, they may take a few swings if your head looks like a red balloon, but really now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
charlequin said:
PSP Go is so unpopular the 3000 is losing sales by association.

Ah, the elusive "negative sales" phenomenon. Scientists have long hoped to study this phenomenon in the wild.

AniHawk

demosthenes said:
I could have sworn it hit 1 million in America alone...

Not even close. LBP outsold Uncharted by about 150k and that hasn't hit a million yet (not counting the GOTY one though)

gofreak said:
I doubt it. They don't need to hide behind a 'family' front, PS3 did fine, and they can boast huge growth over last year.

They'd probably be better off just talking about PS2 for a while :lol

Honestly though, PS3 really underperformed, and PSP is dead. The YoY might look okay but it doesn't have the kind of momentum it should with two top-rated games, one huge exclusive, a massive price drop and redesign...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Add me into the list of people completely surprised by the 360 outperforming the PS3.

But Wii was still in the lead as usual, so nothing's changed. :p

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
intheinbetween said:

Marc Whitten himself says no.

VB: There were stories that talked about how Microsoft knocked out a lot of modders from Xbox Live. I recall that early on there were maybe 1 or 2 percent of the people who were using modded machines. Why would there be such a large number now? One report said it was a million modders knocked out.

MW: It’s a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software. We try to keep sanctity of life from a safety and anti-cheating perspective and we protect our partners. We didn’t release the number. I cannot explain to you why people would think it was a million people. It wasn’t a million people. Check the veracity of that claim. It was one news source. I think we do a really good job understanding what people are doing on the system. That applies to intellectual property (piracy) and how we treat the community in terms of harassment. We are committed to making it better and better.

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/19/microsofts-xbox-live-chief-on-banning-modders-and-browsing-facebook-photos-on-tv/

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Awesome 360 sales, I thought it was going to be obliterated by PS3 given the whole $299 marketing push. L4D2 did great, as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zachack said:
If Reggis was actually boasting that NSMB would outsell a PS3 version of a multi-plat game then frankly he's about as sad as... everyone else on this board who boasts the Wii version of <Game X> outselling the PS3 version.

I mean, is outselling a PS3 game supposed to be an achievement? It's like boasting that you can beat up someone already in a coma. Sure, they may take a few swings if your head looks like a red balloon, but really now.

I believe he was kind of put on the spot with that prediction. I don't think he like called up the media so he could make a sales prediction.

Subitai

stupei said:
The PS3 had the best bundles over Black Friday, though, by far. The 360 bundles this year were pretty terrible, in fact. So good bargains is not the sole reason for the 360 winning this month.

Or, maybe we're underestimating the marketability of Lego Batman and Pure with under informed casual buyers. I'm not saying their system sellers, but they aren't a turn off and retailers got to throw them in for their black friday ads for free.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Paracelsus said:
The fact itself I cannot tell which one of you is joking is making my head ache.

Uh, why would I be joking? I stated an unarguable fact: if you log onto employee news at Best Buy, at any store in the country, there is a post about a "PS3 shortage" due to hard drive issues or a lack of hard drives.

I don't know how big of an issue it would be, but my store ran out of PS3s this past weekend. We had to order some from another store that doesn't do well during the holidays.

I don't know if it's widespread or a real problem but the fact that Best Buy made sure to tell all employees that they might not get many PS3s the next week or two I figured was worth mentioning.

It might not be a factor, but it is worth mentioning.

TunaLover

Does Nintendo will continue stack trucks of money on the Iwata swiming pool, or they will go a little more agressive the next time around? It's clear that they don't get behind warchest wise.

Top Bottom