• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

so Modern Warfare: Reflex edition numbers??

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Snipes424

Rez said:
I can't believe people are citing banned 360s. :lol

I don't really think its THAT absurd to be honest with you. 1 million banned, wouldn't you think maybe 1/10 of those people went to go buy another 360?

I don't think its the major reason why 360 did so well, but I think it probably contributed to it.

Evlar

Banned
Mrbob said:
Oh and is the Activision peripheral based money grab dead? None of their wares were in the top 10, when they used to dominate the holiday season. Time for a new corporate strategy methinks.
Yeah, the plastic toy parade has been dispersed. I expect Best Buy to repurpose most of those 200' of shelf space in every store very soon.

operon

called.gif

operon said:
[360] 725K
[NDS] 1400K
[PS2] 160K
[PS3] 650K
[PSP] 250K
[WII] 1650K

numbers wrong sentiment right. lots of crow being eaten in the black friday sales thread. gotta hand to ms they were cruel, letting on the did bad with the pr blurb. Looks like sonys pr is back to being the "playstation family":lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
It's a dead platform.

So odd. Its the solid #2 in Japan right now in terms of game announcements and 3rd party sales and it is literally dead in every other region.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Okay everyone, let's be clear about the numbers. Even though PS3 was outsold by 360; 360 is down YOY; and Wii is down YOY; all the consoles are winners.

Wii is still doing massive numbers, 360 is barely down YOY, and PS3 is up massively YOY. MW2 sold astoundingly well, as did NSMB Wii. HD gaming is up a good bit YOY, and it's a nice top 10 representative of all consoeles.

The only true loser is the PSP. God-fucking dammit :/

Majmun

Snipes424 said:
I don't really think its THAT absurd to be honest with you. 1 million banned, wouldn't you think maybe 1/10 of those people went to go buy another 360?

Yeah, but did MS ban 1 million units in NA, or across the world?

Snipes424 said:

I don't think its the major reason why 360 did so well, but I think it probably contributed to it.

sangreal said:
I don't really think its terribly relevant to new-console sales but people keep repeating this 1 million users banned number which is false:

VB: There were stories that talked about how Microsoft knocked out a lot of modders from Xbox Live. I recall that early on there were maybe 1 or 2 percent of the people who were using modded machines. Why would there be such a large number now? One report said it was a million modders knocked out.

MW: It’s a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software. We try to keep sanctity of life from a safety and anti-cheating perspective and we protect our partners. We didn’t release the number. I cannot explain to you why people would think it was a million people. It wasn’t a million people. Check the veracity of that claim. It was one news source. I think we do a really good job understanding what people are doing on the system. That applies to intellectual property (piracy) and how we treat the community in terms of harassment. We are committed to making it better and better.

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/19/m...g-modders-and-browsing-facebook-photos-on-tv/

Mooreberg said:
It does go hand in hand with hardware pricing though. PS3 and 360 both sold less than 200K the month GTA IV came out, despite being (at that time) the fastest selling game ever. The difference between $299 and $349/$399 is huge for a lot of people.
Yeah, it's not going to ensure the same percentage level of bump across all, but most big first sequels (and I honestly consider MW2 to be a fully first sequel to a sub-new franchise in the COD line with MW1) tend to do better than the first and draw in hardware sales. My issue is just that there are a lot of people who say 'who, more than the existing fanbase of the first game on the platform, is going to buy X sequel and/or Y system when they could've and probably did already?'. It's an idea that's regularly wrong, at least before the release of the second sequel on the current platform.

Evlar

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Okay everyone, let's be clear about the numbers. Even though PS3 was outsold by 360; 360 is down YOY; and Wii is down YOY; all the consoles are winners.

Wii is still doing massive numbers, 360 is barely down YOY, and PS3 is up massively YOY. MW2 sold astoundingly well, as did NSMB Wii. HD gaming is up a good bit YOY, and it's a nice top 10 representative of all consoeles.

The only true loser is the PSP. God-fucking dammit :/
Apparently software overall is down 5% YoY... and in November, that's a very bad thing. Best hope it doesn't continue through December or we'll hear of more lay-offs and closings soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There isn't really much reason for people to reply to this thread with actual analysis or statistics if the posts are just going to be buried in a sea of Reggie comment bullshit or "OMG WOW" posts.

Godslay

Banned
Burai said:
It's all very nice posting glib comments about tinfoil and "hilarious" GIFs, but nobody has yet come up with a compelling argument as to why the assertion that the banwave has likely bolstered the Xbox 360's figures this month is so terribly wrong.

Especially when GAF consensus was that the banwave would do exactly that in the "Shots fired" thread and when the consensus in the prediction thread was that there was no way the Xbox 360 could possibly outsell the PS3.

I mean, seriously. What do you have to add that can properly discredit such a theory?

That's not how it works. You are supposed to show us the credibility of the argument. Back up your assertion with evidence.

Slurmer said:
Only thing I'm upset about is Uncharted 2 failing to make the top 10

I wonder if it even made the top 20? With those beasts (MW2, NSMB, AC2) and the usual Wii titles (Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Wii Sports), it was destined not to make it. Regardless, it's still a great game!

Barrage

Evlar said:
Yeah, the plastic toy parade has been dispersed. I expect Best Buy to repurpose most of those 200' of shelf space in every store very soon.

Harmonix dropped out of the race by featuring GH Guitars in their Rock Band commercials.

stupei

JudgeN said:
Seems like 360's get pushed really hard by retailers during Christmas (for obvious reasons). They had the Walmart $100 gift card deal, and there is another $50 gift card deal on the Elite, it seem like the PS3 rarely gets these kind of deals.

The PS3 had the best bundles over Black Friday, though, by far. The 360 bundles this year were pretty terrible, in fact. So good bargains is not the sole reason for the 360 winning this month.

JudgeN said:
They had bundles for that 1 day/weekend, 360's had deal all month long and continues to have retailer deal during December. Not like I'm making things up here, PS3 got beat but you can clearly see what retailers are pushing here.

No, the $100 Walmart deal was for one week. It wasn't the whole month. I should know, I tried to get my cousin to talk his wife into letting him get one. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Evlar said:
Apparently software overall is down 5% YoY... and in November, that's a very bad thing. Best hope it doesn't continue through December or we'll hear of more lay-offs and closings soon.

Yah, I read that :(

Banned
JudgeN said:
They had bundles for that 1 day/weekend, 360's had deal all month long and continues to have retailer deal during December. Not like I'm making things up here, PS3 got beat but you can clearly see what retailers are pushing here.

PS3 had amazing bundles for the biggest weekend of the year. What did 360 have all month?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
There isn't really much reason for people to reply to this thread with actual analysis or statistics if the posts are just going to be buried in a sea of Reggie comment bullshit or "OMG WOW" posts.

Give it a night...this thread seems to improve remarkably after a day has gone by.

I still can't get over the MW2 numbers. Just stunning. I never thought Halo would be eclipsed but it has.

mujun

DeadGzuz said:
Cry? I made no predication and the only thing I bought was a Wii last month. If you are going to belittle PS3 sales due to bundles, why not also go after hundreds of thousands of banned 360s which possibly get replaced? What about the Arcade deal where they were giving $100GC with purchase?

What's good for the goose...

What is the official word on how many xboxes were banned?

I can't find hard numbers anywhere.

ZeoVGM

Banned
reKon said:
I believe the PS3 is going to outsell the Xbox 360 this December, January, February, AND March. Quote me.

I doubt it. There's currently a lot of stores sold out of PS3s. I'm sure there was a thread about it on GAF, but there's a slight shortage due to a lack of hard drives or some shit. At least that's what the e-mail that was sent out where I work (Best Buy) said.

Paracelsus

Karma said:
PS3 had amazing bundles for the biggest weekend of the year. What did 360 have all month?

What did 360 have? Did not have a 299 entry price point and did have a Halo-like third party K.A.

I doubt it. There's currently a lot of stores sold out of PS3s. I'm sure there was a thread about it on GAF, but there's a slight shortage due to a lack of hard drives or some shit. At least that's what the e-mail that was sent out where I work (Best Buy) said.

The fact itself I cannot tell which one of you is joking is making my head ache.

Evlar

Banned
Godslay said:
That's not how it works. You are supposed to show us the credibility of the argument. Back up your assertion with evidence.
No, it's a discussion. It would be pleasant to attempt to discuss why the 360 did so well this month. None of us really know, but a few theories have been posited (ban wave, MW2, low price, bundles). Only one of those is being laughed at... and so the people laughing might help the discussion by explaining why it can't be taken seriously.

NeoUltima

Ardorx said:
Because people still have this dumbass notion that brand > everything. Price matters and a $200 360 or $300 360 with two games packed in (by default) is incredibly attractive. Especially to cash-strapped parents.
Not really, nobody was taking brand loyalty into account. Brand loyalty numbers were already built into ps3 sales, its not like people were thinking ps3 are going to magically fly off shelves in November cause its playstation.

Everyone's predictions were based on prior months data, and BF disclosures. It's easy for you to say that shit now, but a rational person analyzing the numbers would have had ps3 ahead.

Personally, I think 360 is ahead because of system selling power of MW2. I do believe Ps3 beat 360 BF and beyond(if MS outsold ps3 on BF week, they would have gave hard #s). But 360 had strong sales throughout the month thanks to MW2.

Top Bottom