• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overal 360 userbase, no?

It's a little less than 25%, but those don't include bundles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
eznark said:
I saw seven people at Wal Mart buying that game on Tuesday. Freaking insane. I also heard a GS employee trying to talk a woman out of buying it. That was humorous.
Humorous and heroic. Like clown firefighters.

-PXG- said:
Some of you are saying THR 114K units a is a lot, but that is across 4 platforms. That's really shitty. I mean reaaaaaaaal shitty.
114k is probably generous. A percentage of those sales are estimates.

Jonsoncao

Banned
demosthenes said:
I could have sworn it hit 1 million in America alone...
Jan 09 LTD

PS3

Folklore - 109k
Genji: Days of the Blade - 96k
Heavenly Sword - 386k
Lair - 185k
Little Big Planet - 670k
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 1.09m
Motorstorm 1 - 427k
Motorstorm 2 - 138k
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 316k
Rachet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - 427k
Resistance - 1.07m
Resistance 2 - 640k
Time Crisis 4 - 206k
Uncharted - 534k
Valkyria Chronicles - 74k

if Uncharted 1 managed to sell 500k since Jan 09

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jeremy1456 said:
I am seriously shocked at the 360 vs. PS3 numbers.

If a re-design, price drop, and absolutely huge advertising budget can't keep the PS3 on top for more than a month or two then I think third place is a lock in the North American market.

Even if it had kept its head above 360, given the kind of gaps we're talking about it'd never get out of 3rd place LTD in NA. It would need to be doing a lot more than just about outselling it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
-PXG- said:
Some of you are saying THR 114K units a is a lot, but that is across 4 platforms. That's really shitty. I mean reaaaaaaaal shitty.

Okay, but PS2 probably sold almost none. It's most likely like the DJ Hero breakdown, meaning 60-70,000 people bought it on one platform. head asplode

legend166

Dragona Akehi said:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overal 360 userbase, no?

Can we extend this to the "lololol reggie owned!" posts as well, please?

Banned
DaveTheSnake said:
You have to consider too that MS banned a TON of 360s this month.

The pirates said FUCK Microsoft and said they would buy PS3s instead. The bannings helped the PS3s. :lol

Taurus

Dragona Akehi said:

Alrighty then! It's about time we get some order in to this chaos. :D

Anyways, these numbers make me giggle. :lol Everything back to normal, although PS3 isn't the sorriest little sod anymore but PSP is.

Zachack said:
I mean, is outselling a PS3 game supposed to be an achievement?
Outselling an incredible-selling PS3 game is.
Dragona Akehi said:
Close. X360 is at 17.3 million now, so 4.2 million is a bit over 24%.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
I keep seeing this sentiment. people expected it to sell less than 100,000 across THREE PLATFORMS?

those numbers are awful. It likely only sold to children who had no ability to find out how bad it had turned out or to the ironically detached with disposable income to spare.

That's what I was thinking. You're looking at 30K or so per console if you split it evenly. That's fucking dreadful. They could shit in a box and run a few ads and still sell 30K.

PSGames

Dragona Akehi said:

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

Quoted for new page.

Edit: This thread is moving waaaay too fast. :lol

Zachack

Rush2thestart said:
Don't really care about the rest of the numbers, but I am interested in the following:

Assassins Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)
Jak and Daxter (PSP)
Assassins Creed II: Discovery (DS)
Modern Warfare Reflex (Wii)
Rabbids Go Home (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)

Can't we just say "poorly for a November release"?
In the US? No, but close. I'd hazard it's at about 20% WW.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: the PS3. What I think is a lot more interesting is how the holiday numbers impact the shipment forecasts.

Sadist

LCfiner said:
I keep seeing this sentiment. people expected it to sell less than 100,000 across THREE PLATFORMS?

those numbers are awful. It likely only sold to children who had no ability to find out how bad it had turned out or to the ironically detached with disposable income to spare.
You think I'm being positive here? :p 114k across three platforms is friggn' horrible.

But I expected more in the vein of 80k actually.

jeremy1456 said:
I am seriously shocked at the 360 vs. PS3 numbers.

If a re-design, price drop, and absolutely huge advertising budget can't keep the PS3 on top for more than a month or two then I think third place is a lock in the North American market.
Not to take away from the very good (and very necessary) job Sony has done with PS3's retooling, but did you seriously think that its fortunes would be changed so dramatically this late in the game in North America? The die was cast a while back on that. Europe is another matter and that's where the real back 'n forth battle lies between PS3 and X360.

operon

Dragona Akehi said:

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

Thank you dragona, wll make this thread easier to go through. If they stopped listening to patcher they wouldn't have so much egg on thei faces.

witness

Wow 360 over PS3, WTF consumers! Not good news for sony, it was the perfect storm of new hardware, great price, great games, and a shit load of ads and they cannot outsell 360 in november. Crazy.

stupei

Taurus said:
Alrighty then! It's about time we get some order in to this chaos. :D

Anyways, these numbers make me giggle. :lol Everything back to normal, although PS3 isn't the sorriest little sod anymore but PSP is.

Yeah, no more of this "Playstation family" nonsense. Not just because the PS3 is doing so much better, but because the Go is like that embarrassing drop out that your cousin married who falls asleep at the table.

-PXG-

Y2Kev said:
Okay, but PS2 probably sold almost none. It's most likely like the DJ Hero breakdown, meaning 60-70,000 people bought it on one platform. head asplode

Okay, so what if it sold 113K on 360 and 1K between the other 3? That still isn't good. In that situation, there would be absolutely no revenue to compensate for the costs of putting it on those platforms. It would have been a wasted effort. Might as well make it on one platform instead.

cvxfreak

I'm wondering if Darkside Chronicles continued the slide in Wii rail shooters in spite of the game's higher quality and bigger marketing push than the previous games.

shinshero

schuelma said:
Give it a night...this thread seems to improve remarkably after a day has gone by.

I still can't get over the MW2 numbers. Just stunning. I never thought Halo would be eclipsed but it has.
I think I figured out how we got blindsided by the Xbox 360 numbers.
According to BF reports I think we can safely assume that the Xbox 360 was outsold by the PS3. This means that the 360 must have gotten the upperhand in the weeks beforehand. This means there was a sales spike early in November. Either because of
A) $100 Arcades

C) Modern Warfare 2 Xbox 360 exclusive advertising.

gofreak said:
Oh yeah, MS's comparison for this year refers to prior week this year.

That doesn't really fit in with comparisons I was making, with previous years. I'm not really suggesting anything about their performance this year, except that it's unlikely they're holding a surprise about its performance relative to PS3 this year...if there was good news there I'm sure they'd be sharing it.

gofreak said:

That doesn't really fit in with comparisons I was making, with previous years. I'm not really suggesting anything about their performance this year, except that it's unlikely they're holding a surprise about its performance relative to PS3 this year...if there was good news there I'm sure they'd be sharing it.

gofreak said:

gofreak said:

>_>

<3

LCfiner

witness said:
Wow 360 over PS3, WTF consumers! Not good news for sony, it was the perfect storm of new hardware, great price, great games, and a shit load of ads and they cannot outsell 360 in november. Crazy.

360 had a 200 dollar option and the MW2 bundle. Plus, MW2 was heavily advertised as a 360 game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Have to wonder what MW2 will do next month.

Judging by the drop off we have seen in the UK >80%, it might be a big one.

Halo 3 went from 3.3m to 400k in 2007 (but back up again for Nov and Dec).

operon

Microsoft seemed rather pleased with the NPD figures for November, citing the move of 819.5K units and calling it the “best-ever November in Xbox 360 history”, repeatedly.
The Seattle giant was also pleased with Modern Warfare 2 selling 4.2 million units on the console beating out the PS3 version by more than two-to-one.
It also brought up the fact that more than 5.2 million multiplayer hours on XBL were logged playing Modern Warfare 2 on the first day alone – which scrambles our brain to be honest.
Xbox 360 also led games sales in November, with four of the top ten console games with third party titles selling “more on Xbox 360 last month than on the other current generation platforms combined.”
Assassin’s Creed II, Left 4 Dead 2, and Dragon Age: Origins rounded out 360 versions on the NPD top ten and it was the company’s “best-ever November for game sales, reaching $514 million in total sales”.
Consumers also spent a whopping $838 million on 360 hardware, software and accessories, adding to the stellar month for Microsoft
VG247.com

Lillster

Banned
Ardorx said:
2hqwcr8.jpg

Fanboys, I swear to Christ.

:lol I was joking, chill.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
shinshero said:
I think I figured out how we got blindsided by the Xbox 360 numbers.
According to BF reports I think we can safely assume that the Xbox 360 was outsold by the PS3. This means that the 360 must have gotten the upperhand in the weeks beforehand. This means there was a sales spike early in November. Either because of
A) $100 Arcades

C) Modern Warfare 2 Xbox 360 exclusive advertising.
Oh shi-

Edit: Good good.

Top Bottom