• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Bye bye Tony Hawk.
I saw seven people at Wal Mart buying that game on Tuesday. Freaking insane. I also heard a GS employee trying to talk a woman out of buying it. That was humorous.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Banned
SEGAmaniaco said:
PS3's still the best console of this gen

Lillster said:
Pretty much.

Everyone who owns a PS3 and has good taste, knows this.

2.gif

WrikaWrek

Banned
Good lord.

A) Good Lord at Modern Warfare on the 360.

B) Good Lord at the DS.

C) Good Lord at the 360? (wasn't expecting it to sell so much)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dude Abides said:
I wonder how much the 360 results are due to MS's full court marketing press to associate MW2 with the 360.

I think everyone acknowledges that Live's mindshare as an online community and MS's effort to extend that mindshare through having multiplatform games feature 360 branding in ads as well as spotlighting major multiplatform games at all their press events contribute significantly to the 360's success.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Burai said:
Why are people surprised at the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3? Microsoft rendered hundreds of thousands of consoles useless during this NPD month. It was almost inevitable that Modern Warfare-wanting pirates would be buying replacement machines and copies of the game.

rhfb said:
Banned consoles and the heavy MW2 is best on 360 push and people are suprised at both of their sales?

Hy_ said:
Looks like the 360 ban wave was a succsess. Wonder if there will be a significant drop off next month.

DaveTheSnake said:
You have to consider too that MS banned a TON of 360s this month.

Tazo said:
It's like everyone forgot about the mass 360 console bannings. Such a strategic move by Microsoft, this will most likely continue into December NPDs!

Domcorleone said:
I think everyone is overreacting, while I am surprised that the PS3 got outsold, im not surprised at the same time. MW2 sold 4 milly on the 360 alone! I'm sure that more than a few picked up a nice 360 along with that game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 360 outsell PS3 until January... but for those that don't think MW2 and a banning caused a spike are just being ridiculous, the 360 has been selling less than the ps3 since September and now in Nov prime 3rd party games drop it got a spike, why is that hard to believe? Anyway, im sad Uncharted 2 aint on the top 10, damn sure deserved to.

67jdab.gif

Silly question: Anyone have any clue how Demon's Souls did this month? or total so far? I'd guess it didn't sell much but I'm still curious (hopeful?) about it.

Well this NPD thread just ruined my day.

I think I'll go hide in the Media Create thread for a while...at least the PS3 is still #2 there. :(

Surprising win for 360. I was looking at--and frequently being asked to judge for others--the great variety of PS3 bundles available.

Off top of head there was Best Buy with a Ratchet-led bundle, Gamestop pitching a GOW collection led bundle (advertising it like it was two separate games in their flyer...), and I think Wal-Mart had an Infamous-led bundle.

PSGames

cr_blah_blah said:
and it wasn't a million?
Uncharted 2 should be in the top 10, that's a shame.

I'm pretty sure MS released a statement saying that 1 Million figure was made up and there was no where near a million consoles banned.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
timetokill said:
They'd probably be better off just talking about PS2 for a while :lol

Honestly though, PS3 really underperformed, and PSP is dead. The YoY might look okay but it doesn't have the kind of momentum it should with two top-rated games, one huge exclusive, a massive price drop and redesign...

Underperformed?

Pre-slim it was heading for another thrashing ala last year or probably worse.

Even with the slim rumours up to Aug, few enough I think saw scope for a recovery to competitive performance, particularly in NA.

If it underperformed vs GAF expectations this month, it's only because people went a little high after BF. But accounting for all it had going for it - as you say the games, the pricedrop, slim etc. - I had it down in 700k territory. PS3's number shouldn't be too surprising - what was surprising was that 360 came in even marginally higher.

-PXG-

Some of you are saying THR 114K units a is a lot, but that is across 4 platforms. That's really shitty. I mean reaaaaaaaal shitty.

Zachack

schuelma said:
I believe he was kind of put on the spot with that prediction. I don't think he like called up the media so he could make a sales prediction.
Was there an egg timer or countdown clock or a "doo dee doo doo" song forcing a quick reply? Because there are ways to express confidence in your own product while not actually answering a question, and a former PR man should certainly know how.

LCfiner

Sadist said:
The return has failed.

But it sold more than I expected though. Guess that Tony Hawk brand still stands for something huh?

I keep seeing this sentiment. people expected it to sell less than 100,000 across THREE PLATFORMS?

those numbers are awful. It likely only sold to children who had no ability to find out how bad it had turned out or to the ironically detached with disposable income to spare.

Godslay

Banned
Evlar said:
No, it's a discussion. It would be pleasant to attempt to discuss why the 360 did so well this month. None of us really know, but a few theories have been posited (ban wave, MW2, low price, bundles). Only one of those is being laughed at... and so the people laughing might help the discussion by explaining why it can't be taken seriously.

He asked for an argument directly. You simply can't make an assertion and expect someone to disprove it. It doesn't work that way. Look at the sales last year. Almost a direct match, and with my limited knowledge no bannings. Does that disprove the relationship? I would say that it is better evidence to go off of then just throwing a bannings argument out there. They are laughing at the bannings argument due to the fact that there is no credible relationship between bannings and hardware sales increases. Low price, bundles, and high profile game releases have established a sales increase correlation in the past, making those arguments much more credible than a bannings argument.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cr_blah_blah said:
Silly question: Anyone have any clue how Demon's Souls did this month? or total so far? I'd guess it didn't sell much but I'm still curious (hopeful?) about it.

It's Atlus's fastest selling game ever, their third best selling game ever, and has already received a second printing. I have no idea how that carried over to November, but I wouldn't be worried about poor old Demon's Souls ;)

Ardorx said:
We're going to make you buy it, that's what.

oh wow :lol this is already set-up to be an abortion.

I will give Activision credit for sticking to their guns on this whole TH mess. There's standing for what you believe in, and then there's just being pig-headed

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:
Underperformed?

Pre-slim it was heading for another thrashing ala last year or probably worse.

Even with the slim rumours up to Aug, few enough I think saw scope for a recovery to competitive performance, particularly in NA.

If it underperformed vs GAF expectations this month, it's only because people went a little high after BF. But accounting for all it had going for it - as you say the games, the pricedrop, slim etc. - I had it down in 700k territory. PS3's number shouldn't be too surprising - what was surprising was that 360 came in even marginally higher.

Yeah, PS3 isn't low or anything, as it really only barely underperformed the GAF and analysts average, it's just that 360 is fucking HIGH! And that over performed.

jeremy1456

I am seriously shocked at the 360 vs. PS3 numbers.

If a re-design, price drop, and absolutely huge advertising budget can't keep the PS3 on top for more than a month or two then I think third place is a lock in the North American market.

Stumpokapow said:
It's Atlus's fastest selling game ever, their third best selling game ever, and has already received a second printing. I have no idea how that carried over to November, but I wouldn't be worried about poor old Demon's Souls ;)

:-D

Mrbob

eznark said:
I saw seven people at Wal Mart buying that game on Tuesday. Freaking insane. I also heard a GS employee trying to talk a woman out of buying it. That was humorous.

Why are you stalking people buying Tony Hawk Ride? We might need to have an intervention!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
watership said:
MW2 outsold GTA4 already? Yikes.

On 360, not on PS3 (how close it is depends on off-charts sales that we're not privy to, but it's within 500-600k), but it will be the #1 on both platforms in terms of lifetime sales by next month

DaveTheSnake said:
Marc Whitten himself would be fired if he let those numbers become public.

Assertion: X is true.
Refutation: Individual who would know if X is true or not says it isn't.
Assertion: He must be lying!

It doesn't work that way.

Zachack

-PXG- said:
Some of you are saying THR 114K units a is a lot, but that is across 4 platforms. That's really shitty. I mean reaaaaaaaal shitty.
All I know is that Amazon is still charging $120 for it, and I need it to hit $20 so I can buy it.

Don't really care about the rest of the numbers, but I am interested in the following:

Assassins Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)
Jak and Daxter (PSP)
Assassins Creed II: Discovery (DS)
Modern Warfare Reflex (Wii)
Rabbids Go Home (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)

Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

AniHawk

jetjevons said:
Hey I really liked the Conduit. (disclaimer: haven't played MW Wii).

I don't really care about the quality of either game, just that the game with the huge ad campaign and months of hype being outsold by a two year port that had a shadow release would be fun to see.

V_Ben

Banned
sweet crikey jesus. those are some unexpected numbers. maybe the arcade sku got some attention during black friday?

Tagg7

Banned
AniHawk said:
Not even close. LBP outsold Uncharted by about 150k and that hasn't hit a million yet (not counting the GOTY one though)
According to VG Chartz (which I know isn't super reliable), Uncharted 1 has sold 1.18 million in America and 2.5 million worldwide.

Top Bottom