• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
timetokill said:
kaz_sends_psp800.jpg
This is fantastic :lol

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Peff

Pretty good sales all around. Glad to see Dragon Age up there too, hopefully Mass Effect 2 will follow suit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
PS: We can read your edits.

Holy SHIT.

Dragona just broke the 26th wall. :lol

I can't count how many times I see "YOU BETTER EDIT THAT FAST" on both the gaming side and OT.

NeoUltima said:
So I'm thinking ps3 and 360 will be closer in Dec, if not Ps3 higher. 360 was able to pull strong numbers throughout November, even before the holiday shopping season started, thanks to MW2. But once the shopping season started, I believe Ps3 has been outselling it(or coming damn close). I say this, cause if MS had outsold ps3 during BF week(start of holiday shopping), they would have given hard numbers. We'll see though. If my life was on the line, I'd still have to say 360>ps3 for Dec, but not by as much as Nov.
Actually, I think X360 will maintain if not expand on November's number difference between it and PS3 when the NPDs come out for the December period. The price advantage of $199 Arcade units and continued boosting from MW2, L4D2, and retailer deals will ensure it along with the usual blasting of December marketing. IMO, there's no reason to expect that the successful PS3 rebranding efforts will change the usual effect of December increasing November's numbers while keeping the same sales trends.

VALIS

Wow! But SonyGAF said over and over recently the 360 was dying and the PS3 had freight train momentum and it was only a matter of time before the streams crossed.

It is odd, though. MS is practically taking the year off and are lining up all their ducks for next year (tons of exclusives + Natal) while Sony threw everything but the kitchen sink out there this year and the 360 still comes out on top. I wouldn't have guessed it myself.

Paracelsus

VALIS said:
Wow! But SonyGAF said over and over recently the 360 was dying and the PS3 had freight train momentum and it was only a matter of time before the streams crossed.

It is odd, though. MS is practically taking the year off and are lining up all their ducks for next year (tons of exclusives + Natal) while Sony threw everything but the kitchen sink out there this year and the 360 still comes out on top. I wouldn't have guessed it myself.

Huh.

Nfinit

So this has to be the end of any relevancy for guitar games, right? No GH5 or RB:B in any form could even touch Mario Kart Wii.

Dabanton

VALIS said:

It;s an interesting situation,MS still has a 360 redesign in them plus natal basically a brand new relaunch it's going to be very interesting to see how Sony can counter that now they've shown their hand.

Jonsoncao

Banned
for ppl who said $100 arcade promotion contributed a lot for 360 sales, so NPD does count Walmart sales? since the Arcade sales ranking on Amazon was lackluster during that period, much lower than TripleSlim

MightyHedgehog said:
Actually, I think X360 will maintain if not expand on November's number difference between it and PS3 when the NPDs come out for the December period. The price advantage of $199 Arcade units and continued boosting from MW2, L4D2, and retailer deals will ensure it along with the usual blasting of December marketing. IMO, there's no reason to expect that the successful PS3 rebranding efforts will change the usual effect of December increasing November's numbers while keeping the same sales trends.

Reason would stand that the gap in percentage differences would stay the same (if not increase) due to no relevant December software being released.

However , perhaps the effect (if any) of MW2 on 360 hardware sales can be seen if the gap declines.

chris0701

Microsoft was so silent on FB/Thanksgiving sales,interesting.:lol :lol :lol

Maybe they thought it would be more fun for people seeing 360 *really* did last month.

2009 of PS3 was over.

operon

omg rite said:
Holy SHIT.

Dragona just broke the 26th wall. :lol

I can't count how many times I see "YOU BETTER EDIT THAT FAST" on both the gaming side and OT.

Confirms Dragona is my favourite mod.:D

mujun

witness said:
Wow 360 over PS3, WTF consumers! Not good news for sony, it was the perfect storm of new hardware, great price, great games, and a shit load of ads and they cannot outsell 360 in november. Crazy.

That perfect storm may have just brought the PS3 up to the level of the 360 in the eyes of some people making it a coin toss as to which system they find a more attractive purchase.

It's so subjective all this, "Year of the XXXX" stuff.

Master Z

VALIS said:
MS is practically taking the year off and are lining up all their ducks for next year (tons of exclusives + Natal) while Sony threw everything but the kitchen sink out there this year.

How do you know this? May I also have this knowledge? I'd love to know the game line-ups for next holiday season, especially exclusives. And what about Nintendo? Will the new Zelda release next year?!

VALIS said:

Well, you can't blame the hardcore PS3 fan from getting a little drunk on some really positive news for their long-embattled platform. MS does have an insanely good-looking 2010 to battle PS3 with though. Gonna be tough, IMO, for Sony to overcome it. Anyway, it's more competitive and that's good for everyone. Gotta keep the successful ones honest somehow...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Adam Blade said:

:(

BF != Nov

I will say I was one of the few not entirely rubbishing the notion of 360 outselling ps3 for the month despite BF, and I pointed out a number of times that I thought people were lowballing 360 too much based on it.

But despite Nov turning out quite well for 360, I do think BF likely wasn't as hot as the month overall... the response to BF week itself likely wasn't off target, it's the extrapolations based off of that they commonly were.

edit - also, 360 was actually down for the month yoy..if only very marginally. So people suggesting 360 must be down yoy based on MS's response to BF weren't really led astray in the end...

itsgreen

Jonsoncao said:
for ppl who said $100 arcade promotion contributed a lot for 360 sales, so NPD does count Walmart sales? since the Arcade sales ranking on Amazon was lackluster during that period, much lower than TripleSlim

They guess it, so it is accounted for that, but not 100% accurate afaik.

Peff

LCfiner said:
I fully expect Mass Effect 2 to double Dragon Age numbers.

Yeah, it's very, very likely, there's a lot of hype and no big releases really close, I guess there's nothing to worry about :D

MechDX

MightyHedgehog said:

Walmart is running the Elite next week with a $50 giftcard with purchase.

Nfinit said:
So this has to be the end of any relevancy for guitar games, right? No GH5 or RB:B in any form could even touch Mario Kart Wii.
Music game downturn might have a role in the overall software downturn? Considering the huge numbers for MW2 and NSMB not having a few hundred thousand expensive plastic guitar sales would make up some of the difference in $.

Jonsoncao said:
I thought that they dont get hard numbers from walmart but they estimate. If all of these numbers do not include walmart at all then all of the console makers had a fantastic month. Especially Nintendo.

Jonsoncao said:
no, dude, you missed the trend totally
I myself am an xbot, but clearly neither MW2 nor L4D2 is a system-seller
my rational guess would be PS3 obviously outsold red ring box during BF by a significant margin but not enough to brag a 2-1 ratio in their PR like M$ did with 3 to 1 last year

so I would say red ring box did sth like near 250k, and 120k of the previous week, for Nov NPD, anything between 450k to 550k is a rational guess for red ring box. As for PS3, anything below 700k is impossible.

user_nat said:
What is this thread actually about now?

Tiduz said:
JTyettis's extreme rage

00011000 said:
I just found out Neil Patrick Harris is gay.

We shouldn't forget about Quantum Theory, PS3 exclusive from Tecmo. Could be a cult, sleeper hit.

And I'm done. I'm just messing with you, gofreak. I know that you were referring to BF with your predictions.

Why For?

Banned
VALIS said:

Pretty true.

Not sure what else Sony could have thrown out there.

New Slim
Price Drop
Big Exclusives
Netflix
Facebook (lol)
Big marketing campaign

And somehow the 360 managed to get back up after a month or so.

Next month should be interesting indeed.

Well that about cements the race. IMO Sony is really going to want something in the ballpark of a one year headstart when the next generation rolls around. It's been rough for them in NA, really rough.

Puck

Banned
Great sales for all companies, all of them would be happy with their results.

I'm sick of crappy articles like this that pops up for hits though, <a href="http://www.analoghype.com/2009/12/uncharted-2-failed-to-produce-game-of-the-year-numbers/">Uncharted 2 Failed To Produce Game Of The Year Numbers </a>. Since when does sales have anything to do with GOTY? I mean seriously, it's only really rabid fanboys and gaming enthusiasts such as GAF that care about sales and NPDs (excluding the people who actually work in the game industry of course).

I know MW2 will win GOTY because it sold more / has a larger audience, same with GTA4 (for the record, i believe both MW2 and GTA4 are incredibly overhyped and awful), but sales really shouldn't be considered for anything. At all.

Here's hoping for another big month for Christmas to dispel some of this doom and gloom in the industry.

Zachack

Nfinit said:
Why?

DA:O will be sold on more platforms and was released during the Holidays.
Mass Effect 2 has IP strength, has a stronger console base (assuming by "numbers" we mean NPD), and IMO has a better name (I just think Dragon Age: Origins sounds silly).

If you mean overall who knows.

Dabanton said:
It;s an interesting situation,MS still has a 360 redesign in them plus natal basically a brand new relaunch it's going to be very interesting to see how Sony can counter that now they've shown their hand.

I'm very skeptical of Natal. That said, its not like MS 'needs' Natal. Its just a suplemental experience.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find December NPDs the most interesting as far as software? I guess that's due to the fact that there seldom are new AAA titles in the month, so it's interesting to see which ones pop back into the top 10.

Top Bottom