• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

-PXG-

Threi said:
Why are you people putting more than an second of thought into what Reggie was saying about NSMB vs MW2?

It wasn't a grand challenge calling them out or anything, it was Geoff jokingly asking and Reggie jokingly replying. Was he supposed to say "no, our product won't sell as much as our competitor's product"? Stop turning everything these people say into ammo for console warz. Stop trying to figure out intent from a couple sentences exchanged with no hint of malice, or even a hint that the person asked has even thought about it.

If Reggie joked NSMBWii will sell 15 million units day one if he was asked would you hold him to it? Would you proclaim "HAHA REGGIE OWNED" if he didn't? Maybe it's me but I find this whole idea of taking little things people say and going WAY too far with it is just stupid and childish.

This goes both for people who go out of their way to defend and people who go out of their way to defend what he is saying.

btw the reason there is such a high spike in 360 sales, in case anyone is wondering, is

Because it's fucking NeoGAF. What other reason would you expect? :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
Why you posting that to me? The post I was quoting said he trusted retail musings.

True. More like a friendly tap that you didn't see coming and you try to be a tough guy and walk it off but it kind of hurts.

Sorry for being a little rough. No intentional. I agree with you. My bad.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

jett

D-Member
Speevy said:
I'm sure Naughty Dog is tremendously happy with the sales of Uncharted 2 at this point.

It deserves so much better. It's disappointing to see PS3 owners NOT pick the game up.

Accident

dialmydrive said:
Don't you mean anOgram (referencing an old post, forgive the misspelling). Sorry to disappoint but I cannot take credit for being who you think I am.

Can you post U2, Reflex, Forza 3 and Ratchet numbers? please?

smurfx

get some go again
wow really thought the ps3 would beat the 360 this month.

72wvsw.gif

Brashnir

PantherLotus said:
Anybody want to take a stab at why the 360 is so much higher than expected this month? What am I missing?

A) Demand remains higher than GAF gives it credit for.
B) GAF foolishly put any stock at all in the musings thread.

Speevy said:
I'm sure Naughty Dog is tremendously happy with the sales of Uncharted 2 at this point.

I don't think they care. Sony cares about the sales numbers. ND got great reviews and pretty much secured a third one.

Cheech said:
It's taken me awhile to digest the numbers, but Microsoft figured something out a year ago nobody else did: First party games do not mean jack shit at this point in the generation. My gut tells me MW2, and MW2 alone moved a huge amount of those 360s..

I think you got a good point.

MW just has the mindshare on 360. Being the more popular console for the biggest game of the year means you can just sit back, relax, and watch the money flow, instead of you know, actually countering the pricecut, bundles, advertising, or huge exclusives of your closest competitors.

I'm saying this tongue in cheek though. MW still had a HUGE push by MS (console bundles, advertising, etc.). But ya'll get the gist of what I'm saying.

Tobor

Arpharmd B said:
I think you got a good point.

MW just has the mindshare on 360. Being the more popular console for the biggest game of the year means you can just sit back, relax, and watch the money flow, instead of you know, actually countering the pricecut, bundles, advertising, or huge exclusives of your closest competitors.

Uhhh, they did counteract the pricecut.

Speevy

Banned
jett said:
It deserves so much better.

Yeah, but I don't expect the masses to fully appreciate something like Uncharted 2. They don't want the best graphics or the best adventure game. They want the best multiplayer shooter.

itsgreen

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't think they care. Sony cares about the sales numbers. ND got great reviews and pretty much secured a third one.

The game sold over a million (prob more, I don't know, I don't care), x60$ = succes.

Everybody happy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Speevy said:
Yeah, but I don't expect the masses to fully appreciate something like Uncharted 2. They don't want the best graphics or the best adventure game. They want the best multiplayer shooter.

that's true, you can't expect the public to care about something as subtle as good graphics

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jj984jj said:
Looks like Wii owners have failed the RE test this time. Which # is this again?

I think they were out of RE games to turn into lightgun material so I think that was it for the Wii anyways.

fearlessidiot

Neo Member
being and employee at an idiot big-box retailer, it wasn't hard imagine L4D2 not on the top 10 mainly because no one was willing to pay 60 dollars for it, but with all the sales that that game had surrounding it, it wasn't surprising that it was pushed over the top. those 360 numbers tho, man.

Averon

I'm not worried about UC2's sales. It'll likely be over a million sold by January in the US. Add worldwide sales and you're looking at about + 2 million sold.

Meesh

jj984jj said:
Looks like Wii owners have failed the RE test this time. Which # is this again?
It's only been a month, Christmas is sure to boost sales, light gun games are an easy pick up for casual types.

I suck at this damage control thing :)

I was really hoping it would do so much better...

pulga

Banned
Well, well, this was unexpected. Seems like Slim ain't doin' shit for Sony's fortunes. Couple that with the Go's failure and Sony HQ must really be heating up.

INSANE MW2 numbers. Did Halo 3 do more or less in its first month?

stupei

Holy shit at the bannings.

Check the post and page count and then assume the very first thing that popped into your head when you saw the numbers has probably already been said. A lot. You missed your chance to say something "clever" in NPDs, it's sad and all, but now you have to resist the urge to post it anyway. What the hell, people. Even if it weren't bannable, why on earth do they think it adds anything to the conversation?

Tobor said:
Uhhh, they did counteract the pricecut.

They added 60 GB of memory to the 299 model. Wow, yeah, they really got aggressive with that one.

Then they bundled it with Lego Batman and Pure. And Madagascar. I mean, obviously guns were blazing in the MS camp.

Dabanton

stupei said:
Holy shit at the bannings.

Check the post and page count and then assume the very first thing that popped into your head when you saw the numbers has probably already been said. A lot. You missed your chance to say something "clever" in NPDs, it's sad and all, but now you have to resist the urge to post it anyway. What the hell, people. Even if it weren't bannable, why on earth do they think it adds anything to the conversation?

Ego.

Frillen

pulga said:
Well, well, this was unexpected. Seems like Slim ain't doin' shit for Sony's fortunes. Couple that with the Go's failure and Sony HQ must really be heating up.

Less.

ZZMitch

Ugh, it pains me to say it... considering how awesome the campaign in Uncharted 2 is... but if I had to pick one of those games to play for the next year or so (the decision that many consumers are probably making) it would be MW2... because the multiplayer aspect of it can be enjoyed for hundreds of hours. I think Uncharted has a great campaign and a pretty good multiplayer, but I think I would be bored with it long before I would be bored with MW2 (when MW3 comes out :D ).

Tobor

Arpharmd B said:
They added 60 GB of memory to the 299 model. Wow, yeah, they really got aggressive with that one.

Then they bundled it with Lego Batman and Pure. And Madagascar. I mean, obviously guns were blazing in the MS camp.

Console A: 120GB $299
Console B: 120GB $299

Synless

pulga said:

Yeah, because Sony did so much worse then its competitors. Not to mention it sold way more then last year. Failure indeed.

NeoUltima

pulga said:
lol wtf

So all Sony cares about is outselling 360? Sony has pulled great numbers this month, so they got beat, but it is way better than if there was no slim.

As for Go...Sony isn't stupid enough to know it would sell shit at $250. They are price skimming that shit. Go probably costs less to make than a normal psp with no UMD drive and smaller components.

Woodsy

Banned
Kudos to MS for being coy with their post Black Friday numbers. Sony has to be fuming - even though it's largely irrelevant to the average gamer at this point as PS3 is not having title for it dropped.

Magik

smurfx said:
wow really thought the ps3 would beat the 360 this month.

72wvsw.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Regarding the MW2 numbers. I'm not too surprised to see the 360 version selling a lot more when you consider the mindshare of FPS on consoles has pretty much been cemented on the 360 with the CoD franchise as being one of the premier titles. Take a look at the 'competitive' gaming scene and you'll see the CoD franchise is mainly based around the 360.

You'll also have to factor in the time between the release of CoD4 and MW2 was the same time when the PS3 was really struggling in sales so the userbase of CoD was being built on the foundation of the 360 while the PS3 was struggling.

But at the same time, the PS3 numbers are good numbers. Selling over 1 million units is pretty damn good.

YoungHav

Banned
If 360 redesigned the hardware they could count on everyone rebuying it. It would be a great idea. lol with the Nov numbers looks like Pachter will redact his 360 pricedrop prediction.

Top Bottom