• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

WrikaWrek

Banned
Speevy said:
Worldwide, it has to be running down 2 million, no?

I'm sure its blazing down 3 million.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Bizzyb

Banned
Anyone else realize that Wii numbers no longer matter?
The only games that sell are Nintendo games
The only games (usually) worth charting/selling are Nintendo games
3rd parties aren't going to give any real effort (and probably never planned to) when they can just bank on a million selling HD game (with blood and guns of course) esp with no Mario to compete against
Given that, one could assume 3rd parties could care less had Wii sold 2 mil this month
Of course unless they figured it meant they could slap Some more fitness games or sleepover girlz night-in party games in the catalog

What a sad state of affairs.

I hadn't updated these figures for a while... but I thought with the general interest around the insane MW2 sales it was probably worth doing.

So here they are, all of the PS3 and 360 games (sorry, never got around to doing the Wii data) which have sold over 500k in their first month on sale. I have more data than this, but it just becomes a wall of text if I include any more than the top games. If any of these titles were on sale for less then 7 days in their first NPD period, I have included the second period's figures (where available). These titles are marked with stars.

Days are the number of days the game was on sale for during the reporting period(s). The install base for each console is listed based on the number of consoles sold as the start of the month when each game went on sale.

Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	360 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		4200k	 19	16.49m		25.5%
Halo 3			3300k	 12	6.19m		53.3%
GTA IV			2721k	 33	10.05m		27.1% ***
CoD 4			1570k	 26	7.09m		22.1%
Gears of War 2		1560k	 23	11.58m		13.5%
Halo 3: ODST		1520k	 12	15.89m		9.6%
CoD WaW			1410k	 19	11.58m		12.2%
Gears of War		1000k	 17	2.89m		34.6%
Madden NFL 09		1000k	 19	10.66m		9.4%
Assassin's Creed	980k	 18	7.09m		13.8%
Resident Evil 5		938k	 23	14.55m		6.4%
Madden NFL 10		928k	 16	15.68m		5.9%
Madden NFL 08		897k	 19	5.92m		15.2%
Assassin's Creed 2	795k	 12	16.49m		4.8%
Fable II		790k	 12	11.21m		7.0%
Rainbow Six Vegas 2	752k	 19	9.6m		7.8%
Left 4 Dead 2		744k	 12	16.49m		4.5%
UFC 2009 Undisputed	680k	 12	15.06m		4.5%
Halo Wars		639k	 33	14.55m		4.4%
Star Wars TFU		610k	 19	10.86m		5.6%
Army of Two		606k	 33	9.6m		6.3%
Batman: AA		512k	 40	15.68m		3.3% ***
Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	PS3 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		1870k	 19	9.02m		20.7%
GTA IV			1443k	 33	4.21m		34.3% ***
MGS4			775k	 24	4.42m		17.5%
Madden NFL 10		665k	 16	8m		8.3%
Madden NFL 09		643k	 19	5.05m		12.7%
Killzone 2		619k	 37	7.24m		8.5% ***
CoD WaW			597k	 19	5.65m		10.6%
Resident Evil 5		585k	 23	7.24m		8.1%
Uncharted 2		537k	 19	8.7m		6.2%
inFamous		527k	 40	7.58m		7.0% ***
Batman: AA		506k	 40	8m		6.3% ***

Opiate

Speevy said:
Yeah, but I don't expect the masses to fully appreciate something like Uncharted 2. They don't want the best graphics or the best adventure game. They want the best multiplayer shooter.

Yes, "the best graphics" are a subtle quality only esoteric gamers can appreciate.

Edit: Posted above. Sorry!

Subitai

Arpharmd B said:
They added 60 GB of memory to the 299 model. Wow, yeah, they really got aggressive with that one.

Then they bundled it with Lego Batman and Pure. And Madagascar. I mean, obviously guns were blazing in the MS camp.
So what would you have done?

Those bundles were meant for the uninformed and constantly remaining uniformed masses who aren't as picky as you and I. Why pay for better games and bleed more money when it the additional sales won't even pay for themselves. Instead they put their money on MW2 and its paid off a lot. Its not their fault customers are sheep during the holidays.

Speevy

Banned
Opiate said:
Yes, "the best graphics" are a subtle quality only esoteric gamers can appreciate.

Edit: Posted above. Sorry!

I expect most people only understand up to a point when a game technically outclasses everything out there.

Jeff-DSA

smurfx said:
wow really thought the ps3 would beat the 360 this month.

72wvsw.gif

This might be the best...ever.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Psychotext said:
I hadn't updated these figures for a while... but I thought with the general interest around the insane MW2 sales it was probably worth doing.

So here they are, all of the PS3 and 360 games (sorry, never got around to doing the Wii data) which have sold over 500k in their first month on sale. I have more data than this, but it just becomes a wall of text if I include any more than the top games. If any of these titles were on sale for less then 7 days in their first NPD period, I have included the second period's figures (where available). These titles are marked with stars.

Days are the number of days the game was on sale for during the reporting period(s). The install base for each console is listed based on the number of consoles sold as the start of the month when each game went on sale.
Thanks, wanted to see something like that.
Halo 3 really was insane when compared that way.

Tobor said:
Console A: 120GB $299
Console B: 120GB $299

Last year you could get 360's for 199,299,399. and PS3's for 399,499.

This year you can get 360's for 199,299,399 and PS3's for 299, 349.

Sony came with a real price drop whereas 360 did nothing but add value to the skus (which Sony did too).

Like I said, that's not aggressive at all that's called phoning the shit in. And they still won! Incredible if you ask me.

LCfiner

"Halo 3 3300k 12 6.19m 53.3%”

wow at that attach rate. nothing else on that list even comes close.

@ Arpharmd B. MS didn’t have to be more aggressive. All they had to do was match the storage space with the 300 dollar sku.

I expect them to be aggressive when rebranding and launching Natal next year. If they cut price this year, they’d be leaving money on the table.

Subitai said:
So what would you have done?

Those bundles were meant for the uninformed and constantly remaining uniformed masses who aren't as picky as you and I. Why pay for better games and bleed more money when it the additional sales won't even pay for themselves. Instead they put their money on MW2 and its paid off a lot. Its not their fault customers are sheep during the holidays.

Ok um that is the exact point I was making dude.

The hell man. The. Hell.

LegoDad

Arpharmd B said:
Last year you could get 360's for 199,299,399. and PS3's for 399,499.

This year you can get 360's for 199,299,399 and PS3's for 299, 349.

Sony came with a real price drop whereas 360 did nothing but add value to the skus (which Sony did too).

Like I said, that's not aggressive at all that's called phoning the shit in.

How about the $99 promotion on Amazon and Walmart. or the 6 free games you get with the console, therefore actually making the console cost under $200.

People go for the most stuff for the least amount of money, (not hardware wise, but visually wise).

Edit: I'm now done discussing this, as it isn't that surprising, moving on.....

ZZMitch

LCfiner said:
"Halo 3 3300k 12 6.19m 53.3%”

wow at that attach rate. nothing else on that list even comes close.

@ Arpharmd B. MS didn’t have to be more aggressive. All they had to do was match the storage space with the 300 dollar sku.

I expect them to be aggressive when rebranding and launching Natal next year. If they cut price this year, they’d be leaving money on the table.

I was just looking at that... It seems crazy that 1 in 2 360s had that game at one point. It deserved it of course...

Opiate

Speevy said:
I expect most people only understand up to a point when a game technically outclasses everything out there.

Graphics are a very superficial quality, by definition. If people understand anything, it's graphics. They are effectively the shallowest aspect of game consumption.

It's entirely possible they do not care -- but not caring is quite distinct from not understanding.

paparazzo

Pretty amazing numbers all around, but :eek: at MW2. Why is everyone so surprised the 360 outsold the PS3? It's never happened in November so I don't see why it would now, being $100 more than the competition. 710K is certainly nothing to scoff at, imo.

Wow, didn't know NPD was today.

I'm impressed with the 360, I honestly expected PS3 to take it. Association really is that the FPS games are on the 360 I guess. The PS3 ad campaing is absolutely stellar too so this is likely as good as it will get for the machine going forward which still puts it in 3rd place. The 360 ads are terrible in comparison.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! My Supervisor bet me 5 bucks that the PS3 would outsell the 360 for the month of November, and he spotted me 100,000 units. I can't fuckin wait to rub this shit in. He's the biggest Sony Fanboy I have ever met in my life. Tomorrow will be GLORIOUS!

caliblue15 said:
How about the $99 promotion on Amazon and Walmart. or the 6 free games you get with the console, therefore actually making the console cost under $200.

People go for the most stuff for the least amount of money, (not hardware wise, but visually wise).

Walmart not in NPD.

And that promotion was all of, what, a day? 2 days?

The point I'm trying to make is this guys, which I think ya'll are missing my point and arguing with me. I'm saying, "goddamn, MS won handily, and didn't have much in the way of huge exclusives (like Uncharted) nor did they counter the pricedrops from competitors, and they still handed Sony their ass".

So I'm saying. Goddamn. That's impressive.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Burai said:
Why are people surprised at the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3? Microsoft rendered hundreds of thousands of consoles useless during this NPD month. It was almost inevitable that Modern Warfare-wanting pirates would be buying replacement machines and copies of the game.

25fmzhi.jpg

IcebergSlim3000 said:
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! My Supervisor bet me 5 bucks that the PS3 would outsell the 360 for the month of November, and he spotted me 100,000 units. I can't fuckin wait to rub this shit in. He's the biggest Sony Fanboy I have ever met in my life. Tomorrow will be GLORIOUS!

I find that so funny for some reason.....

I've never met a human outside of message boards that has any idea about video game sales whatsoever

I almost want Darkside Chronicles to fail so Capcom can come out and say how disappointed they are with Wii sales and that they might have to lower support, right on cue. :lol

Test us with some crap spin-off on-rails shooter and it sells for some reason: Wow thanks for the sales! I guess there is a market there for 'mature' games, so seen how you guyz like ON-RAIL SHOOTERS so much, here's another cheap way out lazy excuse for a proper effort one of them then! LOL!

No one buys the crap on-rails shooter spin-off: Well I guess no one wants our 'mature' hardcore games, lets stop making them, f**k you Wii fans go buy your Nintendo games and play in your play-pen you babies.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ;(

jagowar

YoungHav said:
If 360 redesigned the hardware they could count on everyone rebuying it. It would be a great idea. lol with the Nov numbers looks like Pachter will redact his 360 pricedrop prediction.

Ive said it ever since natal was announced they will have "new" hardware out to go with natal next year..... for the reason you bring up (I would probably buy one if its not too expensive) and they can also start marketing it as the console that does not rrod (even though for the most part they dont anymore... it still has that perception).

MS has been coming up with some really great hardware of late and I would love to see them give the 360 hardware another go (and use more zundhd styling since those two teams are finally getting together).

Mastperf

I can see now why MS was so strict with their bans for cheating in MW2. You really want to do anything possible to keep that many paying customers happy.

P90

So will the 360 eclipsing the PS3 alter the future software landscape plans for smaller development house JRPGs? Will they go on the Wii? The PSP? or DS?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Arpharmd B said:
Walmart not in NPD.

The point I'm trying to make is this guys, which I think ya'll are missing my point and arguing with me. I'm saying, "goddamn, MS won handily, and didn't have much in the way of huge exclusives (like Uncharted) nor did they counter the pricedrops from competitors, and they still handed Sony their ass".

to be fair, UC2 isn't even in the top ten for the month, so its status as a "huge exclusive" is questionable if we're talking pushing consoles.

Tobor

Arpharmd B said:
Walmart not in NPD.

They countered the price drop in the only way that matters, which is everyone else's point.

inner-G

Banned
I bet if the Wal-Mart numbers were in, it would tip the scale the other way.

Either way, it's really close and strong numbers for each.

LegoDad

Arpharmd B said:
Walmart not in NPD.

Alright, my last word. Not only was it the promotion for $99, and the 6 free games, but the Multiplatform advertising of MW2, and many other titles. These advertisements misinform potential customers, making them think said game is only on said console. Microsoft is notorious for this, and their money in this advertising has done well. Most customers are confused when I tell them said game is on all consoles, and then actually step back and make a decision based on which one is better for them. Problem is most retailers don't care as long as they sell the damn boxes this time of the year, so people think what they want.

Microsoft advertising is genius this generation.

P90 said:
So will the 360 eclipsing the PS3 alter the future software landscape plans for smaller development house JRPGs? Will they go on the Wii? The PSP? or DS?
Wouldn't Media Create numbers be a better place to look for that answer?

Mohonky

I can't believe people are actually 'disappointed' by their console of preferences numbers. Seriously? Do these companies send employees round to tuck you bed each night or something?

LegoDad

inner-G said:
I bet if the Wal-Mart numbers were in, it would tip the scale the other way.

Either way, it's really close and strong numbers for each.

Wal-mart is in the NPD.. its estimated, I believe,... also been stated many times in the thread. Off to bed Neogaf, goodnight.

Burai said:
Why are people surprised at the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3? Microsoft rendered hundreds of thousands of consoles useless during this NPD month. It was almost inevitable that Modern Warfare-wanting pirates would be buying replacement machines and copies of the game.

pacmankiller_2.jpg

jcm

charlequin said:
The month is still down YoY. MW2's just an anomaly dragging the top
NPD uses a variety of indirect methods to account for Walmart numbers. So Walmart sales are all accounted for, although not measured directly.

I'm not trying to discredit NPD or anything, but "accounted for" implies a level of precision that doesn't exist. NPD guesses how much Walmart sells. I'm sure their guess is much better educated than you or I could do, but it is just a guess.

Barrett2

IcebergSlim3000 said:

$5?

Big ballin

tino

Banned
6 millions....what the fuck

They will continue to make this retarded near-future sci-fi shooter and call it realistic.

NPD: Second-Best November In History

edge said:
According to the NPD overall sales fell 7.6 per cent compared to those recorded in November 2008. Year to date though the industry is up 7 per cent over 2007.

"The industry declined 7.6% versus last November, but still produced enough revenue to make this month the second-best November in industry history. YTD the industry is still up 7% over 2007. I think we all have to realize the incredible year that was 2008," explained NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"Based on seasonality the industry looks like it will reach $20B for the year, which means December would have to be up over last year by 11 per cent. Impossible? I don't think so. More positive economic news combined with 'frugal fatigue' could positively impact industry sales during these last weeks of the holiday season. Breaking even seems more out of reach. In order to break even to last year, December sales would have to be up 36% over December 2008.

"There was even heavier promotional activity this year than normal, and while they seem to have benefitted hardware sales, they don't appear to have positively impacted software sales since unit sales of software are down even more than dollar sales are for that category."

MikeE21286 said:
I find that so funny for some reason.....

I've never met a human outside of message boards that has any idea about video game sales whatsoever

He's knows about them because I hipped to Gaf. Now he's just a lurker waiting for membership, and 5 bucks lighter.

Top Bottom