• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

FrankT

vicissitudes said:
Go into the Hardware predictions thread and see how many people predicted over 819k for the 360.

Originally Posted by Elios83:
Not that I necessarily disagree with your points but I hope you have noticed your change of tune during these months ;)
You started with "yeah maybe PS3 will sell 300-350k units in September with the Slim launch", then it was "I'm definetly expecting a really close situation in October if not a small victory for 360 as the price cut effect vanishes", then it was "November back to normalcy baby, no doubts about it!" and now because of the BF reports you're already talking about next year, baseball and "as Greenberg said!"

Come on! At this point at least just admit to yourself that 360 simply isn't performing as you were expecting/hoping to. Then we could talk about the reasons.
In my opinion it's clear and it has been so since Microsoft announced their pricing strategy for the rest of the year in late August that they have given up the market share race this holyday season because they know as you said that they have a significant lead in NA which Sony won't be able to take away by the end of the generation (although on a WW level it's a different story and they're now at risk of losing a significant part of their advantage by the end of the year, we'll find out how much in the January reports).
Right now maybe they prefer to focus on profits because next year they'll spend a lot of money for Natal launch and they probably have already established a pricing/bundling stategy for that product so the current 360 price might fit in that strategy. On top of that they might have been blinded by a bit of arrongance in thinking that whatever Sony did at this point in the game was just a small term thing, although I don't think this was the deciding factor in the decisions they have taken.

What I"ve said since August is I expected normalcy to return by November in placement, and it might not. But if it doesn't I expect it now to be close, and what if that happens. It doesn't mean a thing. Again, unless they are taking massive chunks of market share then it really doesn't matter because they have this cushion that was once nearly 5 million to now over 7. I've also said the difference between 2 and 3 this holiday season could come down to December. As for WW I will simply stick by the shipment numbers which haven't change plus or minus anything since this PS3 hit the market. Actually it still maybe + half million on the 360 atm. Also 70k in October really is nothing. I expected it to be around 60k in the end so not that far off, and as far as Sept goes I said in the end closer to 350-400k. It was a good bit above that I admit.

Oh and it's holiday.

Quote:
Come on! At this point at least just admit to yourself that 360 simply isn't performing as you were expecting/hoping to.

You really cannot say that because we do not have Nov numbers just yet. If it is around November's numbers from last year yes that is what I expected. I will say this I expected PS3 numbers to be a bit north of 07 numbers, but the bundles for BF will put it a good bit above that to be sure.

You said no one. I'm certain I'm not alone in these sentiments. The hive mind of numbers predictions means nothing.

GameGamer said:
Skim 1,300 replies (at the time of this post) to comment on OP numbers?

The thread will have moved on by 10 pages at least when you're done. Gotta agree, 6 months for not reading a post not even on the first page is way too much.

Edit it into the first post at least.

Dunlop

Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

Here's the warning for those who do not want to look. Gotta agree with Firestorm, 6 months is a little crazy for a hidden post over people arguing something that is at least remotely plausable.

Trigger happy mods aside, looks like great sales for all consoles
poor PSP
. Can't wait to see decembers numbers.

Mindlog

charlequin said:
NPD guesses at what 90+% of individual store units in the country sell. It's not so much that I disagree with you as that it strikes me as also basically applicable to the idea of trusting NPD numbers in the first place.

DQIX to DS had a huge bodycount too. Though Epic Mickey does have the advantage of having two different double-digit ban sprees separated by like a month.

:lol

I wouldn't count out the Penny-Arcade MGS4 comic thread. The p/b ratio in that one was extremely high.

Opiate said:
This is interesting. Despite MW2's mammoth sales, it appears overall software was down in units and in revenue. Possible explanations:

1) Wii software is down drastically YoY, despite the increase in user base. Wii software was down 35% last month compared to the same month last year. That's a horrid drop for a system supposedly in its prime.

2) Software sales -- particularly on the PS3/360 -- are becoming increasingly hit-focused. They'd always been hit focused in general, but are now even more so, with the big hitters (CoD, L4D, AC) pulling in huge numbers, and everyone else being left in the dust.

3) Record setting growth is unsustainable?

Speevy

Banned
lyre said:
Spewing "360 only sold that much is due to all the banned consoles from Live" still counts as spewing stupidity, which is bannable.

Stop bitching about the thread (which is also bannable).

Y'all three come to a conclusion, and let us know. I'm pretty sure everyone is scared to say anything.

A 6mo ban is really harsh. What bugs me is it killed any serious discussion as to why the 360 beat the PS3. Isn't the point of NPD threads is to discuss sales numbers? I know I was surprised by the 360>PS3 sales.

Mully

After the initial shock, it really dosen't surprise me that 360 beat out PS3 this month.

Yes Sony pushed their marketing hard, cut the price of the PS3, and to me had the better games to offer this month, but Microsoft was really not in a position to lose.

Call of Duty and Left 4 Dead 2 are synonomous with the 360. And you can argue that Assasin's Cread 2 is also a major part of the 360 brand.

All of these games sold 360's in November, not price cuts, not great marketing, nor great exclusives.

velvet_nitemare said:
NPD threads move way too fast in the first hour or so after being posted.

Well if more people spent more time reading the whole thread and less time trying to post kneejerk reactions maybe the thread wouldn't move quite so fast.

Just a thought.

Lostconfused said:
Well maybe not #1 but with good marketing and decent word of mouth from the early Beta event. I would think Reach could take 2nd place.

Halo 3 sold 3.3 million in its first month with a much smaller install base.

Itll be 3 years since Halo 3 came out, of course its not as relevant as the COD franchise is right now.

COD is multiplat, Halo is the king franchise of Microsoft, the marketing push will be bigger than Halo3.

So i think its safe to say that selling more than 4 million its first month is very possible, if not likely.

VALIS

yellowjacket25 said:
You want to ban people on an internet message board for comments you think are stupid? Yeah, that seems like a great idea. Might as well shut the whole board down.

Have you read the first few pages of this thread? It seemed like 200 of the first 500 posts were about 360 bans. It was ridiculous.

Besides which, saying the 360 had such a good month due to banned pirate consoles is an exceptionally desperate theory that no one has backed up in the slightest yet. How do you know how many were banned besides one article with no sources? How do you know how many were banned in America (this being the NPDs, and all)?

And most importantly, how on earth would you know how many of them ran right out for another 360? I don't think people who spend as much time learning how to hack and mod a 360 are the types who rush right out to drop +$200 on another one. The whole idea is gibberish. I'm sure some people with banned 360s bought another one last month. That's about all anyone can say with confidence.

imtehman

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Well if more people spent more time reading the whole thread and less time trying to post kneejerk reactions maybe the thread wouldn't move quite so fast.

Just a thought.

i completely agree, but don't you think the punishment should be equivalent to the crime? i mean holy shit 6 months?

Dunlop

Pureauthor said:

Just a thought.

It's NPD, Gaf's version of the Jerry Springer show. It is supposed to be knee jerk reactions, take too long to post and you'll just get a 500 error :D

Lunchbox said:
every ad featured the 360 logo and "jump in" at the end, bestbuy and walmart ads were telling people that the 360 was the best way to play Mw2, every sales paper had a 360 standing next to the copy of the game.

who says 3rd party exclusives are dead. MS' marketing strategy is fantastic. it promotes the game and helps them push systems at the same time. even though Mw2 was a multiplat game, it basically acted like a exclusive for their platform.

sony needs to adapt this style for big games like this in the future.
I agree...

Wow, that's a shitload of MW2 sales. Wii also did amazingly well considering the relative lack of appealing bundles on Black Friday compared to PS3 and 360. NSMB Wii should be huge if it keeps selling at a decent clip. Ouch @ PSP sales. I'm actually happy to see the Go totally bomb though. Exclusively digital distribution based hardware concerns me.

Finally caught up.

I just want to say one thing...

"This one time, my buddy Keith said there was no way Left 4 Dead 2 was gonna be as big as the first and I was all --"
"Ellis? It's NPD day?"
"Okay."

WAY TO GO, MY LITTLE GOTY!!!

Somnid

Pureauthor said:

Just a thought.

An entire page was posted while I was writing my first post. I read everything up until there.

AZ Greg

Ya know, a 6 month ban for a rule that's buried in the thread seemed harsh, but then I went through the thread and looked at who had been banned. Addition by subtraction at its finest.

Dunlop said:
It's NPD, Gaf's version of the Jerry Springer show.

Much like the Jerry Springer show, sometimes if you choose your words poorly an angry woman will hit you over the head with a chair and send you to the hospital.

mujun

PopcornMegaphone said:
A 6mo ban is really harsh. What bugs me is it killed any serious discussion as to why the 360 beat the PS3. Isn't the point of NPD threads is to discuss sales numbers? I know I was surprised by the 360>PS3 sales.

Blame the people who beat the dead horse if you ask me, not those trying to stop it happening.

yellowjacket25 said:
You want to ban people on an internet message board for comments you think are stupid? Yeah, that seems like a great idea. Might as well shut the whole board down.
Dude, this is NeoGAF. It's not supposed to be all rainbows and puppy dogs here. People who run and mod GAF can do whatever the fuck they want to. It's theirs, not necessarily ours. I think they're fair the vast majority of the time, and for a free forum, more than fair, honestly. Anyway, I'm done contributing to off-topic talk. PM the mods with your concerns if you're so inclined.

Dunlop

charlequin said:
Much like the Jerry Springer show, sometimes if you choose your words poorly an angry woman will hit you over the head with a chair and send you to the hospital.

Except in the Jerry Springer show you can hit back. Someone needs to create a code that will throw a pie the next time Dragona Akehi mentions region free anything in a PS3 firmware thread. :D

mmm....now I want pie

BenjaminBirdie said:
Finally caught up.

I just want to say one thing...

"This one time, my buddy Keith said there was no way Left 4 Dead 2 was gonna be as big as the first and I was all --"
"Ellis? It's NPD day?"
"Okay."

WAY TO GO, MY LITTLE GOTY!!!

That was really disappointing. Huge sales for Left 4 Dead 1.5.

Also means less reason to bring it to the PS3 :(

Afrikan

Pureauthor said:

Just a thought.

you mean like Gifs that take half of the page.....and of course posters who quote those gifs...over and over....

6 months is a long time.

but anyway, I think posters are asking the wrong Mod to add the warning to the OP... I think some should ask the thread starter instead.

edit- oops sorry just noticed..... spent too much time deciding if I should hit the submit button or not :lol

Afrikan said:
you mean like Gifs that take half of the page.....and of course posters who quote those gifs...over and over....

6 months is a long time.

but anyway, I think posters are asking the wrong Mod to add the warning to the OP... I think some should ask the thread starter instead.

it was added to the OP

fernoca

Interesting how of the Top 10 games, 9 games were released in 2009; 8 of those games in November, 1 in October....and the remaining game from the Top 10; was released in April....2008. :D

Kinda dissapointed at the PSP sales; only 90K or so more than the PS2 which is ...technically dead; among the many great releases in the last weeks/2 months (Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed, Motorstorm, Tekken 6....)..but then again, they barely advertised any of those games. Great games, made even more amazing because of being on a protable/handheld device..yet....released like average shovelware.

good thing we're talking about modding, and not game sales. Stop whining, backseat mods.

Back on topic: I wonder if borderlands managed to last into this month's top 20.

Somnid said:
I expected better from RE. Ouch.

Honestly, I have a feeling a lot of people felt they were bamboozled with RE UC in the first place. Kinda like how some were suggesting that ACII suffered a bit from the backlash against AC.

Dunlop said:
Except in the Jerry Springer show you can hit back. Someone needs to create a code that will throw a pie the next time Dragona Akehi mentions region free anything in a PS3 firmware thread. :D

mmm....now I want pie

Oh you can hit back, you'll just be dragged out of the studio and never to return.

vicissitudes said:
That was really disappointing. Huge sales for Left 4 Dead 1.5.

Also means less reason to bring it to the PS3 :(

What the FUCK?

Left 4 Dead 1.5?!?!

What is this garbage?

Good lord what a grotesque misdescriptiality.

unomas

Banned
People are shocked by 360 over PS3 for the month? How much MW2 advertising on television was for PS3? How much MW2 advertising was "the best place to play is on xbox 360". The MW2 limited edition console and advertising blitz made it seem like it was only on Xbox 360, and everyone is shocked it outsold the PS3 when it pulled 4.2 million units on 360 alone? :lol :lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
Honestly, I have a feeling a lot of people were bamboozled with RE UC in the first place. Kinda like how some were suggesting that ACII suffered a bit from the backlash against AC.

I enjoyed UC for what it was but I just couldn't justify spending 50 dollars on basically the same type of game with a bit better graphics.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
elrechazao said:
good thing we're talking about modding, and not game sales. Stop whining, backseat mods.

Back on topic: I wonder if borderlands managed to last into this month's top 20.

I would bet that the 360 version is at least on the ass end of the top 20, as you know it did really well and seems to be one of those games like L4D1 where people keep buying it to play with their friends.

Narcosis

Pureauthor said:

Just a thought.

The problem with that is, the NPD data we get on the board itself is custom-fit for knee jerk reactions. Compare these threads to media create and it's like night and day. MC gives enough data for the more mature posters to thoroughly give educated analysis; it's like a buffet of info compared to these lists of top 10 and one chunk of monthly numbers, which is more akin to eating a tv dinner but expecting it to come with a bottle of Cristal. The Japanese sales threads will always be superior because the data is more intensive and it's easier to calculate more specific things like what kinds of games give true hardware boosts and what ones don't, how certain sales events and holidays effect games and platforms etc, etc, due to the weekly nature of the info.

It's because of these differences in the topics that certain tendencies occur. MC threads, which I myself read but don't really post in since I don't pretend to know shit about japanese consumer buying habits, tend to feature the more reasonable and respectable posters outnumbering the morons and troll types to the point where the community kind of polices itself in those threads. This thread showcases how some of GAF's users can't seem to comprehend elementary school level understanding of their primary language.

Anyways...

6mil MW2? Holy crap..
I knew it was big, I think I'm the only person on my Live or PSN wgho isn't constantly playing it, but damn, that's one big huge debut total.

Top Bottom